PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox sweep White Sox!!

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Boston now only 5 games back of the Yankees in loss column after being 11 games back a week ago. Great game tonight on ESPN. Boston was up 4-0 after 2nd, then Chicago goes ahead in 7th 5-4 and in 8th the Sox deliver just two pitches and Manny and Ortiz go yard on the first pitch to take the 6-5 lead which holds up. Manny has 12 RBIs in the series, including 3 homers.

*Jaws theme* Watch out Yankees, we are going to make a miracle comeback and win this division...:elephant

DuffMcCartney
08-23-2004, 12:35 AM
They'll still choke it away Jim.

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Red Sox run winning streak to six
Story Tools: Print Email
Rick Gano / Associated Press
Posted: 8 hours ago

CHICAGO (AP) - One swing from Manny Ramirez got the Boston Red Sox even and one more from David Ortiz put them ahead. Then it was Mike Timlin to the rescue Sunday night.
He pitched out of a tight jam after Ramirez fell down on a fly ball and preserved the streaking Red Sox's 6-5 win over the Chicago White Sox.

"Every time I hit one, David hits another one, so we're on a good pace," Ramirez said Sunday night after he and Ortiz hit back-to-back homers on consecutive pitches in the eighth inning.

Boston, with 12 wins in its last 15 games, moved within 5{ games of the New York Yankees in the AL East, the first time the Red Sox have been that close since June 28. They also have a one-game lead in the AL wild-card race.

"That's one thing you don't want to do. When we start thinking about the Yankees, we start playing terrible for some reason," Ortiz said after the Red Sox swept three from the White Sox for the first time since Sept. 26-28, 2000.

"We'll see at the end. We don't have time to think about the Yankees or anything like that," he added.

After taking the lead in the top of the eighth, the Red Sox nearly let it slip away in the bottom half.

Carl Everett walked and Ben Davis followed with a routine fly to left, but Ramirez slipped and fell, and the ball went by for a double, putting runners at second and third with one out.

But Timlin retired pinch-hitters Ross Gload and Timo Perez to end the threat.

"It wasn't wet, I just slipped out there," Ramirez said.

"Timlin did an awesome job. He picked me up right there. Things like that are going to happen, that's why you got teammates."

Davis was the first batter Timlin faced and as he watched Ramirez slip, he said "No, no, no."

"He put his right hand down and I saw him reach up with the glove and, OK, he's got a chance to make a great play and then the ball was behind him," Timlin said.

"At that point there was nothing I could do. I just told myself I got to go out and get the next two guys."

Curtis Leskanic (2-5) got one out for the win. Keith Foulke pitched a perfect ninth for his 22nd save in 27 chances.

The White Sox lost for the 19th time in 27 games and fell under .500 for the first time since April 8.

The Red Sox staked Derek Lowe to a 4-0 lead that he couldn't hold. Paul Konerko's three-run homer in the fifth got Chicago back in it, and Carlos Lee's two-run homer in the seventh put the White Sox ahead 5-4.

But Ramirez hit Freddy Garcia's first pitch of the eighth for his 33rd homer, and third of the series, giving him 11 RBIs in the three games.

Ramirez was 0-for-3 when he came to the plate.

"I threw a slider to the middle of the plate and he hit it real good. But he was the hitter I wanted to face," Garcia said.

"He was the best shot against Ramirez we had," Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen said. "My gut feeling was that he was the man to get him out."

But he didn't.

Damaso Marte (4-5) relieved and Ortiz - who entered in an 0-for-15 slump - hit his first pitch to right-center for a 6-5 lead. Ortiz's 31 homers match a career high set last year.

"You will have bad weeks, bad months, even bad years, but people see you still trying and that's me," Ortiz said. "The last couple of days they had been pitching me good."

Lowe lasted 6 2-3 innings, giving up seven hits and five runs. Garcia went seven-plus, allowing seven hits and five runs.

Johnny Damon and Orlando Cabrera opened the game with singles off Garcia and when Ramirez grounded to short, second baseman Willie Harris took the flip and his relay throw sailed past first. Ramirez got the RBI and moved to second on the error.

Ortiz and Jason Varitek followed with RBI doubles to put the Red Sox ahead 3-0.

Doug Mientkiewicz, who made a nice stop at first after the White Sox had two runners on in the first, homered in the second - his first with Boston since he was traded from the Twins last month.

Konerko's 31st homer came after Harris singled and Aaron Rowand reached on an infield hit when Harris beat third baseman Bill Mueller's throw to second.

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Duff, I do not think that they can catch NY realistically, but they are playing the best ball since the opening month and I think they can get the wild card, then watch out. Their top two pitchers are playing great now and they are hammering the ball like last year. Last year Manny and David Ortiz had 207 RBIs and they are almost to that total right now, and they still have 39 games to play.

Also Manny and Ortiz are the top duo in baseball(AL) in home runs so far this year......Things are looking up in Bean town.

tlongII
08-23-2004, 12:12 PM
The Red Sox are looking very good. It would be nice to see another Red Sox vs Yankess ALCS. I think the Yankees mojo would take them out though.

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 12:42 PM
tlong, normally I would agree, but Yankee pitching sucks, and I feel that Boston can beat them in 7 game series with Martinez and Schilling both getting two starts in a series.

tlongII
08-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Jim,

I thought Boston would win last year, but it didn't happen.

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 01:13 PM
tlong, last year, Mussina, Andy and Roger were pitching well, this year, they have diddly squat. Mussina is not pitching well at all, Brown is injury prone and don't even ask me about Loaiza, the fans have been booing the crap out of him since he was traded to them...he blows. Boston will beat them this year, I feel it. :)

IcemanCometh
08-23-2004, 02:06 PM
does it ever matter

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 03:07 PM
What is "it" Ice? As in baseball? Boston? Life in general?
Perhaps you need to seek therapy, Ice. Is this is a cry for help on your part...you worry me. I will pray for you Ice.

IcemanCometh
08-23-2004, 04:53 PM
poor sox fans

T Park Num 9
08-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Jim,

how many Home Runs ado Ortiz and Man Ram have together??

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 07:29 PM
64, TPark.

T Park Num 9
08-23-2004, 10:18 PM
sorry Jim

the league leader in two players combined for homers is

Pujols Rolen

Jimcs50
08-23-2004, 10:28 PM
TPark, let me break this to you slowly....Boston and St Louis are in two different leagues....American and National. :)

IcemanCometh
08-23-2004, 11:16 PM
don't try to explain things to tpark

T Park Num 9
08-24-2004, 02:54 PM
first

**** off ice and go jerk off your boyfriend Barry Bonds who will be pumpin roids and out of the playoffs.

SECOND

Jim, you didnt say AMERICAN league.

YOu just said "league". Gotta be specific my man.....

DuffMcCartney
08-24-2004, 02:55 PM
T Park..the more you post the more stupid I think you are.

Jimcs50
08-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Also Manny and Ortiz are the top duo in baseball(AL) in home runs so far this year......Things are looking up in Bean town.

Read again TPark. AL= American League. :)

IcemanCometh
08-24-2004, 03:01 PM
lemme explain it to you like you were a 6 year old
majors = mlb
league = al or nl

T Park Num 9
08-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Same goes for you dunce, and I noticed youve stopped posting. Someone let you know that was the case with you obviously.

Jim, YOU EDITED THAT!!!!!:p

Jimcs50
08-24-2004, 03:21 PM
TPark, check the edit time....it was before you even mentioned your Cardinals....I edited a typo on something else, not that. Would I lie, TPark? :)

DuffMcCartney
08-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Same goes for you dunce, and I noticed youve stopped posting.

Cause I have other things...more important things like school.

T Park Num 9
08-24-2004, 04:02 PM
well you know what they say duff, year 5 is the good year...

Jim, you, lie??? NEVER!!!!!!:p

BTW, if the Red Sox beat out the Rangers for the wild card (wich they will, Im still holding out stupid hope)
Im rooting for the Red Sox in the AL.

Cant stand the Yankees. Dont care for the A's or the Twinkies.

DuffMcCartney
08-24-2004, 05:38 PM
well you know what they say duff, year 5 is the good year...

Maybe cause it was your good year T Park...some of us don't need to go to school for 5 years.

T Park Num 9
08-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Didnt go to college 5 years.

Your once again, gasp, wrong.

DuffMcCartney
08-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Guess what...this is only my second year of college...so you're *gasp* wrong like always.

scott
08-25-2004, 12:15 AM
How long does Carny school take?

T Park Num 9
08-25-2004, 01:28 AM
Carny School?

Oh and scott, what do you do that makes your job oh so much high and mightier than mine?

HMMMMM??!?!

Jimcs50
08-25-2004, 09:54 AM
People!!!!!! This is a Red Sox thread!!!! If you do not wish to praise my Sox or bury them, then please take your catty fighting elsewhere. :)

Scott, you and TPark are successful, so who cares what you do. And Duff is taking a full Fall schedule and is working his ass off so he can be a success too, so please do not discourage him. :flipoff

:)

tlongII
08-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Jim,

I think the Yankees are too strong for the Red Sox. NY's hitting is unbelievable with all of their power hitters. I don't think Boston can hang.

The AL West is having a terrific race. I have to favor Oakland because of their pitching though. The A's are always strong in the 2nd half of the season.

Jimcs50
08-25-2004, 10:58 AM
We will see tlong. Too bad one of the two in the AL West or Boston will be sitting at home come playoffs. This is why I think Baseball should allow 2 more teams in each League into the playoffs.

Betsy
08-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Jim, it comes down to this. The Yankees pitching this year completely sucks. Mussina is worthless this year also. Their line up hitting isn't even that good. Even Jeter is in a slump. And they are still ahead of the Sox. At one point 10 games. The Red Sox can not play for shit in Sept. So I have no fears of the Sox beating them. So there. :p

Not to mention the Bambino Curse. :lol

Jimcs50
08-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Betsy, the Red Sox had a butt load of injuries, they are still missing Nixon, but otherwise they are healthy now, that is why the Yankees got that big 10 1/2 game lead. Boston is playing better than NY now, so watch out if Boston gets the wild card.

Betsy
08-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Jim, I don't know what it is but when Sept comes the redsox hit a wall. :bang I am not worried. The Yankees always play better in Sept. Although I have to admit their pitching scares even me. So I will just bet on the curse this year. :lol

tlongII
08-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Jim,

The Sox are putting too much faith in Timlin. He used to pitch for the M's and trust me, he SUCKS! They better find a better reliever than Timlin or they will be toast.

Jimcs50
08-25-2004, 07:45 PM
tlong, we just got Mike Meyers from Seattle in a trade. We have Foulke as our closer, Williamson is a stud, but he has been on the DL, but we have Leskanic, Embree, Mendoza and Adams. They are set.

IcemanCometh
08-25-2004, 07:47 PM
the red sox are still the red sox and the yankees are still the yankees.

even if its game 7 of the world series bottom of the 9th with the sox up by 10, they will find a way to lose. but keep on getting your hopes up there jim

tlongII
08-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Jim,

They have been using Timlin as their setup man and that ain't gonna work in September/October. Meyers sucks too.