PDA

View Full Version : tiago?

Joe Schmoogins
04-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Not sure if this has been posted..

but for what it's worth...

R.C. Buford says on TV that the Spurs hope/plan to have Tiago Splitter next year, and that he's somewhat like Anderson Varejao.

-Henry Abbott (twitter)

http://twitter.com/TrueHoop/status/11400283813

boutons_deux
04-01-2010, 02:40 PM
He also said during the Rockets' half-time that he expects Splitter to be with the Spurs next year.

"The Best Laid Plans ...."

phxspurfan
04-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I'll believe it when I see the plane land

bus driver
04-01-2010, 03:19 PM

true!

dbestpro
04-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Look boss! De Plane! De Plane!

El_Mago
04-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I got to speak to R.C. before the season kicked off this past fall - I am a season ticket holder and we had a Q&A with him - and I asked him two questions:

1) Are you going to extend Manu Ginobili?

2) What can you tell us about Tiago Splitter?

He was frank with both questions. He said he would wait till the off-season to wait and see about Manu.

He said he expected Splitter to be here next year and make an impact.

Again, this was this past fall before the pre-season, and so far he is correct on Manu and I expect him to be correct about Splitter.

SenorSpur
04-01-2010, 04:13 PM
I wished Bill Land would've asked him about what the club's plans were for Ian.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Didn't he say something about Spurs fans tendency to overrate the international players that have been drafted?

PBEEZY
04-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Didn't he say something about Spurs fans tendency to overrate the international players that have been drafted?

He sarcastically said he's going to be the next David or Timmy

yavozerb
04-01-2010, 05:04 PM

Actually I think he said not to expect a TD or Robinson type player from this kid..He compared him to anderson verajeo, which I would gladly take at center..

NFGIII
04-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Actually I think he said not to expect a TD or Robinson type player from this kid..He compared him to anderson verajeo, which I would gladly take at center..

That would be great to have at the 5. He would definitely take some of the load in the paint off of TD. But until he is here and signed I'm not going to get too excited about it. I still think his agent will be taking to him about the possible ockout coming and its effect on his paycheck. And for any international player that is a concern.

We still really don't know what is going to happen. Damn frustrating to sit here for several years now and still be guessing at the future.

Sigz
04-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Somewhat like Anderson Varejao? Flop Master?

jimo2305
04-01-2010, 05:41 PM
lol bullshit..

i'll believe it when tiago retires..

taps
04-01-2010, 05:43 PM

I was listening expectantly as well. RC complimented all the young players individually even Temple but not ian, which was disheartening if you support his (ian's) cause.

Rather than implementing some complex value-stashing scheme and moratorium on discussing mahinmi including local media it just plain looks like FO can't wait to drop him. of course i hope to heck i am wrong.

yavozerb
04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Ian sucks.This kid reminds me of the 16 year old 8th grader all-star football player with a mustache..Time to cut bait

exstatic
04-01-2010, 06:40 PM

People who are not morons have figured that one out already, like within 5 minutes of them not picking up a pretty reasonable year four option of about $2M in October.

I think if they can sign him cheap for a couple of years, he might be back. Don't count on it, though. If he were in their concrete rotation plans, they would have picked up the option.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Splitter being as good or like Varejao would be absolutely perfect..

tothrowed
04-01-2010, 06:56 PM
9gvE5p2c5yA

dbestpro
04-01-2010, 07:08 PM
People who are not morons have figured that one out already, like within 5 minutes of them not picking up a pretty reasonable year four option of about $2M in October.

I think if they can sign him cheap for a couple of years, he might be back. Don't count on it, though. If he were in their concrete rotation plans, they would have picked up the option.

If you were Ian would you even want to come back to SA?

TD 21
04-01-2010, 07:12 PM
If Splitter comes over and the Spurs draft George (two realistic possibilities), they'll have a quality prospect at every position. Consider the position the Spurs were in when they bowed out in the '08 Western Conference Finals: An old team that had no young talent (other than Splitter, who we knew then was two years away from realistically coming over) in the pipeline. That would be remarkable if they accomplish this in that short a span, picking as low as they've picked in the draft.

Theoretically, Splitter is an ideal match-up for Gasol and possibly even Odom. This is where he could really help the Spurs, guarding the types of mobile, face-up four's who have killed the Spurs in recent years (Nowitzki, West, etc.), while doubling as another center-sized big to help Duncan protect the rim. This is exactly the type of player Duncan needs next to him. With his loss in mobility due to wear and tear, he's not as mobile as he once was and this combined with the league going smaller and faster means he's a center now, but he's not a true center in the mold of O'Neal, Yao, etc., so he needs another center-sized big next to him who can guard mobile PF's.

Bender
04-01-2010, 07:26 PM
when bill land first brought up the subject of the spurs success in getting int'l players, buford said, "well, we drafted scola, but we don't want to talk about that...", then he started talking about splitter.

I was hoping he would say something about the scola debacle.

pookenstein
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
when bill land first brought up the subject of the spurs success in getting int'l players, buford said, "well, we drafted scola, but we don't want to talk about that...", then he started talking about splitter.

I was hoping he would say something about the scola debacle.

Why would anybody talk about that? Get over it. Everybody knows the FO fucked up big time by not signing Scola, but nothing will change that mistake. Not even asking RC about it 12.000.000 years after it happened.
Just accept the fact that he is not a Spur and get over it.
All these "what if's" are so boring.
If the dog didn't shit, he would have caught the rabbit...

And btw, I'm pretty drunk, so no offense Bender...

rayray2k8
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Something I thought was interesting. Some details about Splitter from the "enemy camp" and some nice details about Nando.
q8pcy5sJrx0[/QUOTE]

timtonymanu
04-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Varejao? I like it. Better than having Dice or Bonner on the floor.

Then again Splitter is a tease. I wont believe he's coming until he says it.

G-Dawgg
04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I heard Splitter plays like a young Will Perdue.. which would be a serious upgrade to what we usually have on the floor... lol

exstatic
04-01-2010, 10:58 PM
If you were Ian would you even want to come back to SA?

Probably not. I guess it would depend if he got other offers or not.

I'm just tired of hearing about this asshole from a bunch of retards on a message board who think they're better NBA talent judges than the Spurs front office. Dropping his $2mil from the payroll next year may mean the difference between Splitter and no Splitter.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2010, 11:10 PM

I'm just tired of hearing about this asshole from a bunch of retards on a message board who think they're better NBA talent judges than the Spurs front office. Dropping his $2mil from the payroll next year may mean the difference between Splitter and no Splitter.

But Pop is an idiot. :rolleyes

SenorSpur
04-01-2010, 11:19 PM

While people who ARE morons are getting their panties wet for a big (Splitter), who may never see the inside of the AT&T Center.

The point is Ian is on the roster and is a young, productive, cheap big, who can likely contribute now, but hasn't had an opportunity. He's the bird in the hand - not the one in the overseas bush.

Personally, I hope they're both on the roster next year. However the risks of the Spurs not being in a position to match Splitter's price is a distinct possibility. That said, I'd rather the Spurs not cast away a young big only to have him start contributing on another team.

mingus
04-01-2010, 11:25 PM

the wanting him to play now, or contribute in some way when one of our bigs inevitably lays a turd, part has nothing to do with dropping his payroll to pick up Splitter. i don;t know where you're hearing that. it's about the here and now with Mahinmi. quit putting words in peoples' mouths.

i don't even know who the fuck you are, but i've read two of your posts before, this one included, and both times you created an argument that you act like some other fans have conjured up, and then you argue it. just to be contrary. get a fuckin life.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2010, 11:30 PM
The point is Ian is on the roster and is a young, productive, cheap big, who can likely contribute now, but hasn't had an opportunity.

Productive during garbage time or against the Nets doesn't mean he would be productive when getting regular minutes. He has shown nothing that says he is likely to contribute.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Productive during garbage time or against the Nets doesn't mean he would be productive when getting regular minutes. He has shown nothing that says he is likely to contribute.

What has he shown to say he can't contribute?..

SenorSpur
04-01-2010, 11:37 PM

So let me understand. Splitter is the diamond and Mahinmi is the trash. And you know all this because...

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2010, 11:41 PM
So let me understand. Splitter is the diamond and Mahinmi is the trash. And you know all this because...

I've never said a thing about Splitter.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2010, 11:42 PM
What has he shown to say he can't contribute?..

His terrible footwork, lack of post moves, constant fouling and bad defense.

All in garbage time against other scrubs. His game is Jackie Butleresque.

SenorSpur
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
His terrible footwork, lack of post moves, constant fouling and bad defense.

All in garbage time against other scrubs. His game is Jackie Butleresque.

The NJ game notwithstanding, the guy is shooting over 60% from the floor. In fact, I'd say his footwork, while far from perfect, has improved. He's shown a little sweeping hook and a nice face-up jumper in the lane.

Other than Duncan, name another player on this roster that can rebound, defend the paint, run the floor and provide a shotblocking presence. It makes no difference to me if it's done during garbage time or winning time. Those are skills that are sorely lacking on this roster.

Trying to compare Ian to Butler is nothing but hyperbole.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2010, 11:51 PM
The NJ game notwithstanding, the guy is shooting over 60% from the floor. In fact, I'd say his footwork, while far from perfect, has improved. He's shown a little sweeping hook and a nice face-up jumper in the lane.

Other than Duncan, name another player on this roster that can rebound, defend the paint, run the floor and provide a shotblocking presence. It makes no difference to me if it's done during garbage time or winning time. Those are skills that are sorely lacking on this roster.

Matt Bonner

SenorSpur
04-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Matt Bonner

I pray you're being sarcastic. :lol

FeZZy
04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Splitter Please.

exstatic
04-02-2010, 12:16 AM
While people who ARE morons are getting their panties wet for a big (Splitter), who may never see the inside of the AT&T Center.

The point is Ian is on the roster and is a young, productive, cheap big, who can likely contribute now, but hasn't had an opportunity. He's the bird in the hand - not the one in the overseas bush.

Personally, I hope they're both on the roster next year. However the risks of the Spurs not being in a position to match Splitter's price is a distinct possibility. That said, I'd rather the Spurs not cast away a young big only to have him start contributing on another team.

I don't know if Splitter will ever come either, but Splitter at 16 years old was better than Ian now. He was making a footprint in international ball already.

The big flaw in the logic of the Mahinmi crowd is that prodigious physical gifts will make you a prodigious NBA player. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ian came to the game far too late. He has no feel or instinct for it. The best he can ever hope for is to be a serviceable player on a bad team with little or no structure. I can't ever see him making it on a championship team like the Spurs or Lakers that run complex offenses and defenses.

jestersmash
04-02-2010, 12:33 AM
I pray you're being sarcastic. :lol

Check the post date

mookie2001
04-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Has anyone here seen an entire splitter game?

Dr. Gonzo
04-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Has anyone here seen an entire splitter game?

Youtube highlight dunks

jestersmash
04-02-2010, 12:36 AM
I've never seen his games but I'll say this. Splitter is such a god damned slick name, it would be sick if he became a star. Just imagine Splitter hitting some sweet shot and the analysts going "SPLITTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRR WITH THE AMAZING BLOCK"

SPLITTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Don't lie ya'll know it sounds slick as hell.

mookie2001
04-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Yeah I don't know much about foreign players, but from what I see with American prospects, people don't even watch them play entire games, they go by highlights, third hand accounts, mock drafts and name recognition

I guess that's one positive for having the international posters, if anyone has seen him play I would like to hear what they think of his all around game, his attitude, defense, etc

jjktkk
04-02-2010, 01:22 AM

Trying to compare Ian to Butler is nothing but hyperbole.

The thing with Mahimni is that Pop and the coaching staff do not appear to trust him. He does have impressive physical skills, but it looks like Mahimni will have to prove himself with another team. I don't see the Spurs bringing him back.

stéphane
04-02-2010, 03:05 AM
I guess that's one positive for having the international posters, if anyone has seen him play I would like to hear what they think of his all around game, his attitude, defense, etc

If you ever come to watch some Euroleague or ACB matches, it's pretty hard not to like what Tiago brings to the table. He's a legit 7 footer with great wingspan and a really interesting quickness for his size. His defense is top notch for a euro center thanks to his size and will to play D. His rebounding is so so. On offense, he displays awesome hands and his decision making and ability to pass or finish around the rim makes him the most sound and intelligent euro center on the offensive block. On a side note he can really run the floor, has tremendous experience of big games despite his relatively young age and can still improve the way he has done every year.

lennyalderette
04-02-2010, 03:33 AM
If you ever come to watch some Euroleague or ACB matches, it's pretty hard not to like what Tiago brings to the table. He's a legit 7 footer with great wingspan and a really interesting quickness for his size. His defense is top notch for a euro center thanks to his size and will to play D. His rebounding is so so. On offense, he displays awesome hands and his decision making and ability to pass or finish around the rim makes him the most sound and intelligent euro center on the offensive block. On a side note he can really run the floor, has tremendous experience of big games despite his relatively young age and can still improve the way he has done every year.
:hat this is why i love spurs talk where else can we find and talk to our fellow euro friends?!?!?!?! well said where exactly are you from??? so you say his rebounding is around 3 or 4 a game?? alot of people are saying andy V, i guess as well as RC but do you see andy.Varejao in splitters game?? do you think a splitter manu combo would be freaking deadly??!?!! im starting to think so, GUYS IVE TALKED TO RC AS WELL AND WHEN THE GUY SAYS SOMETHING ITS PROBABLY GOING TO HAPPEN ABOUT 99% OF THE TIME, AND FOR HIM TO EVEN SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT, REMEMBER THE SPURS FRONT OFFICE IS VERY CAREFUL WHAT THEY SAY, AND WOULDNT BE SAYING THIS JUST TO SAY IT, IM POSITIVE HES COMING

:flag:

Pauleta14
04-02-2010, 03:36 AM
RC said the same thing to/according to the french newspaper "L'Equipe"...

http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/breves2010/20100402_093116_splitter-bientot-aux-spurs.html

Palmarès (http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/HIST_NBA.html) Le 02/04/2010 à 09:31

Basket - Transferts

Splitter bientôt aux Spurs

R.C. Bufford, le manager de San Antonio Spurs, n'a pas oublié Nando De Colo et Tiago Splitter. Dans des propos rapportés par L'Equipe de vendredi, il explique que ces deux joueurs «doivent nous rejoindre dans le futur. Tous deux connaissent des bonnes saisons en Europe. Pour Tiago, le plan est de le voir revenir l'an prochain. Il peut devenir notre Anderson Varejao. Il a de quoi devenir un solide 5 en NBA». Nando De Colo, lui, devra encore patienter avant de rejoindre l'équipe de Tony Parker.

He is also talking about Nando De Colo saying he'll be a Spur...

Muser
04-02-2010, 03:43 AM
He'll be a spur next season??

Booharv
04-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Can anyone who has watched Splitter tell me how fast he gets up and down the court? I'm worried about him playing with Duncan who has looked positively Artis Gilmorish at times this year. Would the two of them be too slow to play together against a lot of the stretch fours and hybrid 3/4s spreading the league now (Odom, Rashard, Jamison, Jeff Green etc.)?

stéphane
04-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Can anyone who has watched Splitter tell me how fast he gets up and down the court? I'm worried about him playing with Duncan who has looked positively Artis Gilmorish at times this year. Would the two of them be too slow to play together against a lot of the stretch fours and hybrid 3/4s spreading the league now (Odom, Rashard, Jamison, Jeff Green etc.)?

Tiago is a 7'' Center no way he can match the example you gave in terms of speed. None of these guys are centers anyway, they are SF playing the PF position. It's like asking RJ to be as qucik rack to rack as Tony. But he runs the floor really well for his size.

Booharv
04-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Tiago is a 7'' Center no way he can match the example you gave in terms of speed. None of these guys are centers anyway, they are SF playing the PF position. It's like asking RJ to be as qucik rack to rack as Tony. But he runs the floor really well for his size.

So he would sit most of the game against teams like Cleveland, Orlando, OKC, and LAL? That sucks.

Manu-of-steel
04-02-2010, 04:42 AM
I compare Tiago with Hakim Warrick in terms of speed. But Tiago's stronger and he plays tough defense.

Booharv
04-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Sounds like matchups would determine how much he plays, like he would be very useful versus teams who play two true bigs and less useful versus teams that play quick perimeter 4s. Am I getting that right?

lennyalderette
04-02-2010, 05:41 AM
you know whats weird? in o7' you saw all these videos for tiago, and right now if you go to youtube you cant find your average tiago 2010 mix!!!i wonder whats the reason behind that?? maybe the euro fans are hating cause hes coming over??

Grundle
04-02-2010, 05:47 AM
The thing with Mahimni is that Pop and the coaching staff do not appear to trust him. He does have impressive physical skills, but it looks like Mahimni will have to prove himself with another team. I don't see the Spurs bringing him back.

Exactly. There are players Pop just won't play. Mahinmi seems to be one of them. With Pop running the ship, what makes you think Ian will ever see the floor outside of garbage time in the first place?

TJastal
04-02-2010, 06:09 AM
I have some serious doubts about this, I don't care how reliable Bufords' word is. Why isn't Splitters' camp saying anything about this? Sounds like they aren't entirely sure themselves.

TJastal
04-02-2010, 07:55 AM
And let's not forget....

It's TWITTER. (Twits-With-Infinite-Time-To-Escalate-Rumors)

Love how they word it too..

Spurs hope/plan to have Tiago Splitter

:lol

TimmehC
04-02-2010, 08:01 AM
And let's not forget....

It's TWITTER. (Twits-With-Infinite-Time-To-Escalate-Rumors)

Love how they word it too..

Spurs hope/plan to have Tiago Splitter

RC said during the Houston game that "the plan is for him to be here next year". That's his plan obviously, not neccessarily Tiago's plan, but you get the point.

TJastal
04-02-2010, 08:07 AM
RC said during the Houston game that "the plan is for him to be here next year". That's his plan obviously, not neccessarily Tiago's plan, but you get the point.

lol exactly.

I wouldn't doubt Splitter's agent gave him a call as soon as he heard about it and the conversation went something like

"Tiago congrats on your decision to join nba next year, I just wish you would have informed me before I read about it in internet today"

Splitter: <pause> What the fuck?

dbestpro
04-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Tiago is an interesting player not just because of his size and ability but because he continues to improve. This past year he has focused more on defense and has become a significant shot blocking threat. He has a variety of low post moves that he can go to with either hand. He also can get by most bigs on a drive from the top of the key. He also is a pretty good passer. He probably won't be an allstar, but for the Spurs, he will seem like ice water to a dying man when we add him to our bigs rotation.

TJastal
04-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Tiago is an interesting player not just because of his size and ability but because he continues to improve. This past year he has focused more on defense and has become a significant shot blocking threat. He has a variety of low post moves that he can go to with either hand. He also can get by most bigs on a drive from the top of the key. He also is a pretty good passer. He probably won't be an allstar, but for the Spurs, he will seem like ice water to a dying man when we add him to our bigs rotation.

Don't be surprised when that ice water turns out to be a mirage. :downspin:

JoshO501
04-02-2010, 10:47 AM
DraftExpress: Depends whether they're willing to spend. He's worthy of the full mid-level. RT @Josho501 Chances Tiago Splitter is a Spur next year?

Spurs Brazil
04-02-2010, 12:32 PM
When Tiago and Anderson started playing for Brazil NT, Tiago was a much better player but Anderson game translated well from Europe to NBA. Lets see how Tiago will do on this aspect.

I have no doubt Tiago has more talent than ANderson but I don't know how his game will translate in the NBA. I didn't see much Tiago games lately but he must improve his post game. On D I think he won't have much problems

Whisky Dog
04-02-2010, 01:54 PM
If only Splitty was here now

gsmith78
04-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Exactly. There are players Pop just won't play. Mahinmi seems to be one of them. With Pop running the ship, what makes you think Ian will ever see the floor outside of garbage time in the first place?

If you need any extra proof that the team just does not see Ian in their future: In the interview with RC that is referenced at the beginning of this post RC was talking about the teams young core. He mentioned every one of the new guys, including Temple. No mention of Ian though and neither Elliott nor Bill Land so much as blinked at the omission. It was a glaring enough omission I expected them to ask about Ian, but the interview just kept moving.

I would have loved to see Ian develop into a solid player for SA, he was fun to watch here in Austin, but he absolutely does not seem to be part of the long term plan.

Whisky Dog
04-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I hope Ian goes anywhere but LA or Dallas/Phoenix and absolutely tears it up. I hope he makes Pop and RC eat it the way Scola has.

Dr. Gonzo
04-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I hope Ian goes anywhere but LA or Dallas/Phoenix and absolutely tears it up. I hope he makes Pop and RC eat it the way Scola has.

You are a great fan.

TD 21
04-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Sounds like matchups would determine how much he plays, like he would be very useful versus teams who play two true bigs and less useful versus teams that play quick perimeter 4s. Am I getting that right?

I assume he'll be useful in both scenarios. Because he's a legit 6-11, he has the requisite size/length to match up with centers (at least more so than McDyess, Blair and Bonner, though if Splitter signs I'm convinced McDyess will be traded), but he's also mobile, nimble and relatively quick for a big man, so he'd more than likely serve as the Spurs answer to the types of mobile, face-up four's that have killed them in recent years.

If he's the type of defender he's reported to be, I could see him playing roughly 25 mpg next season, so long as he learns the Spurs playbook, rotations and terminology quickly.

jesterbobman
04-02-2010, 04:34 PM

I've only seen a few of Splitter's games, but I'd say that pretty accurate. He has some speed to cover the stretch 4 type guys, but is really a centre. His rebounding isn't great, but rebounding isn't the biggest problem for us (Timmy and Blair are exceptional, gang rebounding from everyone else). He could probably play on Bynum or Gasol, and cover some of the slower stretch 4's decently(Dirk for example). He'd have problems with Odom, but everybody does and he'd probably be our best bet. Offensively, He's a little limited in terms of range, but he's very effective in at the basket, and has a pretty decent post game. I'd say a realistic expectation for him is somewhere around 12 and 5 in 25 minutes, and pretty good man defense. Not knowing the vaunted system yet may be a problem, but he probably fits the idea of a twin towers style, though he won't be Duncan 2.0

bigdog
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I won't believe anything about Splitter until I see him on the court during an actual game, wearing a Spurs jersey.

Whisky Dog
04-02-2010, 06:03 PM
You are a great fan.

I hate seeing mistakes like wasting this kid on the bench when defensively alone he could greatly help this season. If Pop isn't going to play him I hope somebody does and shows Pop that he fucked up with this kid.

santymrc
04-02-2010, 06:10 PM
you know whats weird? in o7' you saw all these videos for tiago, and right now if you go to youtube you cant find your average tiago 2010 mix!!!i wonder whats the reason behind that?? maybe the euro fans are hating cause hes coming over??

He's not having his best season overall. His stats are ok tho, but overall, you can ask any euro guy and he'll tell you that this is not his best performance. He had some injuries that prevented him for playing at his best too.

Maybe couse all this NBA talk and such.