PDA

View Full Version : Seattle smokers get new rules in city parks

PuttPutt
04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
http://www.nwcn.com/news/Seattle-parks--89685482.html (http://www.nwcn.com/news/Seattle-parks--89685482.html)

by TIM ROBINSON / KING 5 News
Posted on April 1, 2010 at 7:36 AM
Updated today at 11:10 AM

SEATTLE -- Smokers and tobacco users, there's a new rule you need to know in Seattle. As of today, city parks are restricting where you can light up.
For smokers, it's another restriction. They can't smoke in planes, in restaurants, at the ballpark and now parks.
"Well this is one element in what's an overall code of conduct," said Dewey Potter, Seattle Parks spokesperson.
But it's a revised policy. Earlier this year, the parks superintendent issued a memo that completely banned tobacco in parks.
"He believes that the public is a majority behind it," said Potter.
But then the policy was modified. Now, you can smoke in a park, but watch where you are.
Starting April 1, 2010, the new tobacco use policy in Seattle city parks is that users must be 25-feet away from others if they are going to use tobacco. This includes chewing tobacco, cigarettes, cigars and any tobacco product.
"Park patrons cannot smoke within 25 feet of another park patron and they can't smoke in beaches, play areas or picnic areas," said Potter.
"I try to be respectful and not smoke in front of businesses or on the sidewalk so where do I go now? Do I go in an alley somewhere?" said Ann, smoker.
"I don't think there'll be that much of a challenge. Smokers are used to the limitations on where they can smoke. And I think they're a lot more courteous than they used to be," said Potter.
If someone complains, the tobacco user could get booted.
"Punishment is that you are relieved of your right to be in the park. So you're excluded for that day, 24 hours," said Potter.
There won't be any additional park rangers patrolling for infractions; the policy relies on citizen complaints to identify rule violations.

The Cougar
04-01-2010, 07:26 PM
lolsmokers, lol the air getting secondhand smoke

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
i don't like militant nonsmokers

Don't throw your fucking butts on the ground like an ignorant arse then.

redzero
04-01-2010, 07:37 PM
You know what would be a funny April Fool's Day Joke? Tricking Sonics fans into thinking they are getting another team!

lolololo

The Reckoning
04-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Don't throw your fucking butts on the ground like an ignorant arse then.

dont fake cough when you walk by. its really fucking stupid.

Blake
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Get back to me when you have the nuts to use one of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Minuteman3launch.jpg/471px-Minuteman3launch.jpg

you can't use that within 25 feet of anyone in seattle parks

Blake
04-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I think ICBMs have an effective range of greater than 25 feet

well when you launch it, please move 25 feet away from others

Dr. Gonzo
04-02-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm tired of being discriminated against. This is no different than what the whites were doing to the blacks in the early 1900s. NO DIFFERENT.

Shaolin-Style
04-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Smoking should only be allowed in sewers!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-02-2010, 02:06 AM
ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

heeeeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeeeeeee we go!!!!!!!!!!!

here we go!

the australian is here to tell me, a natural born citizen of the !!!!!!!!!!UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!! what to do

well guess what?

fuck off bitch

Ooooooo, I'm a big tough bully blah blah blah... fuck, you are such a dipshit. No-one gives a fuck whether you're an American citizen, and that kind of attitude is why a significant section of the planet hates your country. Well done. :rolleyes

As for cigarette smokers, I don't give a shit what they do as long as I don't have to breathe their smoke in an enclosed public space (this designated parts of parks thing seems a bit ridiculous), and you put your butts, which are full of HEAVY METALS and TOXIC CHEMICALS, in the bin.

Why do you think it is your right to pollute a public space? It's not your space to pollute. Your rights end where the rights of others begin.

MiamiHeat
04-02-2010, 03:11 AM
smokers, i don't know if i agree or disagree with this park ruling,

but facts are facts. you inhale disease and pollute the air around you to infect others with your toxic and disgusting habit.

i have no pity for you. smoke in places where you don't obstruct others.

smoke smells bad, and it's very harmful to health.

so fuck off.

ploto
04-02-2010, 03:22 AM
I like this alot because I absolutely hate when I try to be outside somewhere and get some fresh air, and I end up smelling smoke.

Dr. Gonzo
04-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Everyone who agrees with rulings such as these are racist.

benefactor
04-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I just can't agree with making smoking somewhere outside illegal.

Strike
04-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm tired of being discriminated against. This is no different than what the whites were doing to the blacks in the early 1900s. NO DIFFERENT.

Everyone who agrees with rulings such as these are racist.

whottt?

thispego
04-02-2010, 01:46 PM
boo fucking hoo, smokers

i get along just fine smoking my weed out of the public eye, i bet you can do the same thing with your nasty cancer sticks

Melmart1
04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I am surprised this didn't happen sooner in Seattle, actually. When I lived there 15 yrs ago, you couldn't smoke within 15 ft of the entrance to a building on campus. With those kinds of restrictions that long ago, this almost seems like a natural extension.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-02-2010, 11:46 PM
HERE IT COMES! TYPING IN ALL CAPS TO ACCENTUATE WHAT I AM SAYING!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

Question: Are you a natural-born U.S. citizen?
Answer: Fuck you then bitch!

No, I'm not, and thank fuck for that, because I'd have to count you as a countryman.

The Reckoning
04-02-2010, 11:59 PM
hey Oz, i went to Jack in the Box tonight where the tranny working there gave me a free large order of fries and drink for my meal combo. i bought a pack of disposable plates to eat my meal on (in addition to styrofoam cup, brown bag, etc.). afterwards, i needed something to keep all the grease down, so i bought a pack of cigarettes, smoked one, and remembered what Oz taught me - that second-hand smoke was harmful to the environment. in green-disgust, i disgarded the rest of the pack into the nearest sewer gutter. remembering how bad it was to waste possessions, i bought a carton of cigarettes and dished them out to the homeless on the drag. we then started chanting "USA! USA! USA!" gah, what a night, compliments of OzStyle.

The Reckoning
04-03-2010, 12:09 AM
atleast its not a 1000 dollar a month Whataburger bill in addition to a 25,000 dollar tuition and fraternity bills. not to mention gas, vehicle insurance, and avoiding arrest tickets.

The Reckoning
04-03-2010, 12:15 AM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

thats what happens when you go to school closer to mexico than canada

sorry senor

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 12:29 AM
hey Oz, i went to Jack in the Box tonight where the tranny working there gave me a free large order of fries and drink for my meal combo. i bought a pack of disposable plates to eat my meal on (in addition to styrofoam cup, brown bag, etc.). afterwards, i needed something to keep all the grease down, so i bought a pack of cigarettes, smoked one, and remembered what Oz taught me - that second-hand smoke was harmful to the environment. in green-disgust, i disgarded the rest of the pack into the nearest sewer gutter. remembering how bad it was to waste possessions, i bought a carton of cigarettes and dished them out to the homeless on the drag. we then started chanting "USA! USA! USA!" gah, what a night, compliments of OzStyle.

Sorry? Where did I say that? I actually said that I think the park thing is a bit ridiculous, but don't let accuracy get in the way of your righteous disdain. :rolleyes

Yeah, you'll sure be laughing and screwing yourself just to spite me when your heart disease, gut diverticulitis and lung cancer has you in excruciating pain and about to die. Good luck with that.

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Why do non-smokers think they are better then smokers?

The Reckoning
04-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah, you'll sure be laughing and screwing yourself just to spite me when your heart disease, gut diverticulitis and lung cancer has you in excruciating pain and about to die. Good luck with that.

better than vaginal diverticulitis. plus my lungs are young and nubile until im 30. by then tobacco will either be illegal or 20 bucks a pack.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Why do non-smokers think they are better then smokers?

If that's aimed at me, it's innaccurate. I have been known to smoke the odd cigarette. But I don't do it near kids, or in enclosed spaces, and I make sure the butt goes in a bin, not onto the ground and thus into the soil or nearest waterway. If all smokers did these things there'd probably be less friction between smokers and non-smokers.

better than vaginal diverticulitis. plus my lungs are young and nubile until im 30. by then tobacco will either be illegal or 20 bucks a pack.

Yeah, well, you tell yourself that. I bet you'll still be smoking at 35.

Oh, and I'm currently watching a friend die from diverticulitis because he ate crappy food for most of his life (he turned it around and started living healthily about a decade ago, but it wasn't enough to save him from the horror he currently faces). It is an excruciating way to go. You reap what you sow. Your choices are yours to make, but don't cry foul later when the bad ones fuck you up.

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2010, 12:45 AM
If that's aimed at me, it's innaccurate. I have been known to smoke the odd cigarette. But I don't do it near kids, or in enclosed spaces, and I make sure the butt goes in a bin, not onto the ground and thus into the soil or nearest waterway. If all smokers did these things there'd probably be less friction between smokers and non-smokers..

It is aimed at all the pussies that complain about second hand smoke and shit like that. I find it funny that a lot of the people that talk shit to smokers about lung cancer and such drink massive amounts of alcohol which is way more harmful than smoking.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 01:22 AM
It is aimed at all the pussies that complain about second hand smoke and shit like that. (1) I find it funny that a lot of the people that talk shit to smokers about lung cancer and such drink massive amounts of alcohol which is way more harmful than smoking.(2)

(1)Second hand smoke in confined spaces kills people. This has been proven by numerous studies and is now recognised in law. Given that, can you understand why people would object to it?

(2)Actually, in 2000 (can't be bothered to go and dig up more recent stats), smoking killed over 5x the people drinking did. And poor diet and inactivity killed over 4x the people alcohol did (and that includes deaths due to drinking and driving). But don't let the facts get in the way:

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/node/30

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2010, 01:25 AM
(1)Second hand smoke in confined spaces kills people. This has been proven by numerous studies and is now recognised in law. Given that, can you understand why people would object to it?

(2)Actually, in 2000 (can't be bothered to go and dig up more recent stats), smoking killed over 5x the people drinking did. And poor diet and inactivity killed over 4x the people alcohol did (and that includes deaths due to drinking and driving). But don't let the facts get in the way:

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/node/30

I call bullshit.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I call bullshit.

Source:
Mokdad, Ali H., PhD, James S. Marks, MD, MPH, Donna F. Stroup, PhD, MSc, Julie L. Gerberding, MD, MPH, "Actual Causes of Death in the United States, 2000," Journal of the American Medical Association, (March 10, 2004), G225 Vol. 291, No. 10, p. 1238, 1240.

So you don't trust the Journal of the American Medical Association? Okay, there's no point in discussing it any further then.

Or maybe you don't trust it because it doesn't fit your worldview, how you think things should be. Try examining the actual facts and using them to inform your worldview, rather than trying to reverse-engineer the facts to fit the way you see the world... mindblowing concept, I know, but you might learn something from it.

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2010, 01:38 AM
So you don't trust the Journal of the American Medical Association? Okay, there's no point in discussing it any further then.

Or maybe you don't trust it because it doesn't fit your worldview, how you think things should be. Try examining the actual facts and using them to inform your worldview, rather than trying to reverse-engineer the facts to fit the way you see the world... mindblowing concept, I know, but you might learn something from it.

Don't talk down to me asshole.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 01:39 AM
I blew your mom's mind. With my dick. In her vagina. It was loose, like yours, but she had a sweet G spot.

:lmao

My ma has far too much sense to go anywhere near you and your pasty little 4" limper...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 01:41 AM

Well, don't call bullshit on the AMA's journal - you can read the damned study if you like, it's linked in my link. Admit you were wrong and learn something.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 01:50 AM

It's hilarious that you call yourself Dr Gonzo and yet you don't have a fucking clue what Hunter stood for. He stood for truth, mate, in whatever form he found it, even when it contradicted his previous beliefs. Calling "bullshit" in complete contradiction of strong evidence to the contrary directly contradicts Hunter's ethos.

If you want to live up to that handle you ought to seek some truth yourself rather than taking sides with a moronic horse's arse of a troll and picking on me for no reason.

PuttPutt
04-03-2010, 01:53 AM
RuffnReadyOzStyle...dude, let it go. I'm under the impression that they are now fucking with you just to fuck with you. It is kinda funny how mad you get though.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 01:54 AM
RuffnReadyOzStyleUpTheAnus is on a first-name basis with the late Hunter S. Thompson?

:lmao

No, but he shot at me once and I've read all his books. Also, no-one calls him "Thompson", do they now? :rolleyes

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 01:56 AM
RuffnReadyOzStyle...dude, let it go. I'm under the impression that they are now fucking with you just to fuck with you. It is kinda funny how mad you get though.

Actually, I'm not mad, I have a big grin on my face, otherwise I would have left long ago. Of course they're just doing it to fuck with me. Trolls are just trolls.

Thanks for the concern though. :tu

PS I'm pretty sure 4cc is trying to do a forum run... not on my watch. :lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 01:57 AM
I shot semen at your mom's face once and I don't let her call me by my first name

...says the guy who's probably never been out of Texas.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
04-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Texas can be overrated at times

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Texas can be overrated at times

Please don't take what I said as a slur against Texas - I have great affection for the place.

No, I just doubt 4cc has done anything other than sit on his arse and stalk people on the internet, for the last decade or so anyway. :lol

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
04-03-2010, 02:17 AM
why you from ruff?
amsterdam, Iraq?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Oz. :D

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2010, 09:36 AM
It's hilarious that you call yourself Dr Gonzo and yet you don't have a fucking clue what Hunter stood for. He stood for truth, mate, in whatever form he found it, even when it contradicted his previous beliefs. Calling "bullshit" in complete contradiction of strong evidence to the contrary directly contradicts Hunter's ethos.

If you want to live up to that handle you ought to seek some truth yourself rather than taking sides with a moronic horse's arse of a troll and picking on me for no reason.

I'm sure Dr. Thompson wouldn't take statements on an internet forum as a persons real beliefs. I like how you think I actually give a shit about your fucking opinions.

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2010, 09:37 AM
And quit misspelling ass. It makes you look like a dick.

The Reckoning
04-03-2010, 10:51 AM
its funny because 4cc has LITERALLY stayed up all night to slander the club forum. how did Rita allow this to happen?