PDA

View Full Version : Unheralded Player of the Month: March 2010

lurker23
04-02-2010, 05:06 AM
As a continuing part of the Raising the Bar series of features, I'm doing an “Unheralded Player” segment at least every month, and sometimes more frequently as time/energy/ideas dictate. This segment is intended to highlight a Spurs player who has performed well, but perhaps hasn't gotten as much attention from SpursTalk or other outlets as he deserves. You can see February's edition here (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147835).

There were a few good candidates for March. Matt Bonner quietly had his best month since returning from injury. Two of the top candidates from February, George Hill and Manu Ginobili, continued and even improved their stellar play. These two players carried the Spurs in most of the games throughout the month; Manu especially turned a few losses into wins single-handedly.

However, Manu has gotten a lot of attention for his amazing play, and while I think George Hill still isn't getting as much attention as he deserves, I didn't want to feature him two months in a row. So, the Unheralded Player for March 2010 is Richard Jefferson. RJ has gotten a lot of flak on these boards the entire season, most of it deserved. However, in what many Spurs fans hope are signs of things to come, Jefferson stepped up his game in March. His 12.8 ppg scoring average was his highest since November, but what's more important is how he is getting those points, as well as several other facets of his game.

Perhaps most importantly, RJ has started to rebound. With his 6'7" height, RJ has seriously underperformed on the boards, averaging only 4.4 rpg this year (note: this is also a trend that has been ongoing for the last four seasons). However, RJ hit the boards with a lot more energy in March, averaging 6.1 rpg, his highest of the year. If this rebounding can become consistent, then Jefferson will become a lot more valuable on the court.

The value of RJ's offense in March comes not from the increased scoring average, but from three other things: fewer three pointers, more free throws, and significantly more consistency.

-Fewer three pointers: One of the biggest knocks on RJ's offense this season is that he's settled for the 3-point shot far too often. On the season, he's averaged 2.7 three-point attempts per 36 minutes, and 24% of his FGA have been 3PA. In March, however, he took only 1.9 three-pointers per 36 minutes, with only 18% of his FGA being 3PA. This may not seem like a huge change, but it has actually had a big impact on his offensive efficiency, with his FG% in March soaring to an impressive 54.9% (his previous high for a month with the Spurs had been 48.7%, and was his highest FG% in a single month since December 2005).

-More free throws: Jefferson's increased attacking of the basket also led to his most free throw attempts per minute on the year. Perhaps more importantly, he hit them at a much higher percentage: 82.7% for the month, by far his best month of the season, and closer to what the Spurs expected when they obtained him (about 80% in the previous two seasons). If RJ can get to the line more often (and hit them at a high percentage) in the playoffs, then his value for this Spurs team can increase significantly.

-Consistency: What the Spurs might need most from Richard Jefferson, however, is consistency. Averaging 13 ppg doesn't matter much if you don't know on a given night if you can expect 5 points or 21 points from a player. In March, RJ displayed more consistency than he had before in a Spurs uniform. Coming into March, RJ had scored below 12 points in 28 out of 56 games (50%). In March, he scored below 12 points in only 6 out of 17 games (35%), including only 2 games in his last 12. If the Spurs have a chance to win in the playoffs, they need to be able to rely on RJ to score in double digits night in, night out.

Finally, I have to take a minute to talk about Jefferson's defense, which is one of the bigger issues Spurs fans have had with RJ. Many Spurs fans have already come to the realization that RJ is not going to be a stopper; this acceptance is a good thing, as it sets fans goals for him much closer to reality, as opposed to the inflated sense that the front office tried to instill in the offseason. However, RJ definitely showed some flashes of starting to get it on defense in March. Don't get me wrong, there were still times that I was yelling at my TV screen for RJ to rotate properly and use his size more effectively. Still, he's beginning to show more effort on the defensive end recently. This is particularly evident in his blocks numbers for March; he got 14 blocks for the month, which is significantly more than any other month for the year (his previous high month had 7 blocks). If he can put in the effort, improve his rotations, and get a few blocks here and there, his liability on that side of the court will significantly decline.

So, there you have it; while RJ is far from the finished product the Spurs hoped he would be, his contributions in March are a good sign that he might be able to help them win ballgames yet, and hopefully more fans will begin to talk about the positive steps he's taking.

Grundle
04-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Great take on the RJ situation. Hopefully he can maintain these numbers once TP comes back. That all depends on Pop and how he wants to work Tony back into the rotation. But, if this last month is any indication of what we're capable of, I'm not too worried. We definitely aren't champion caliber, but we will certainly make some noise.

Here's to seeing more of Manu and RJ playing significant minutes together.

whottt
04-02-2010, 05:41 AM
I'd just like to point out Jefferson has also hit big shots all year long. Including a couple of game winners. Even when he was struggling his averages really weren't that poor compared to other years of his career, until right before he started playing really well in March.

He's a good player but it's obvious he needs someone to help him get involved in the offense or at least get him started and he's not going to play that well in other parts of the game if his offense is stuggling. That's why he plays well with playmakers like Kidd and Manu.

Good player, who can actually play even better than he's playing right now, and it's not that hard to figure out how to get the most out of him. Jefferson's not a choker either, he may have seemed like one this season, but he has hit big shots. He just had some adjustment issues with this team.

jimo2305
04-02-2010, 05:44 AM
not saying you're wrong.. but i would've given the award to george hill.. he's had alot of impact and has filled in nicely for parker.. almost makes me wanna say we have a big 4

benefactor
04-02-2010, 05:48 AM
Nice writeup. Hopefully RJ has truly turned the corner and can help this team in the playoffs.

lurker23
04-02-2010, 05:50 AM
not saying you're wrong.. but i would've given the award to george hill.. he's had alot of impact and has filled in nicely for parker.. almost makes me wanna say we have a big 4

I love George Hill's game and his contributions over the past two months have been incredible, especially considering where expectations were a year and a half ago. I'm considering another thread highlighting just how well GH3 is playing statistically. I suppose I could just give him this award every single month until he starts getting the recognition he deserves, but that might limit the usefulness of this feature. :) :lol

lennyalderette
04-02-2010, 05:50 AM
I'd just like to point out Jefferson has also hit big shots all year long. Including a couple of game winners. Even when he was struggling his averages really weren't that poor compared to other years of his career, until right before he started playing really well in March.

He's a good player but it's obvious he needs someone to help him get involved in the offense or at least get him started and he's not going to play that well in other parts of the game if his offense is stuggling. That's why he plays well with playmakers like Kidd and Manu.

Good player, who can actually play even better than he's playing right now, and it's not that hard to figure out how to get the most out of him. Jefferson's not a choker either, he may have seemed like one this season, but he has hit big shots. He just had some adjustment issues with this team.

first great article luker 23 !!! i have been waiting patiently for RJ i was starting to get a lil worried jan.

whoot well said !! theres nothing worse than a choker, and your right even through jeffs inconsistent play he managed to have confidence in his shot. i really hate to say this but it seems like bonner and mason are the chokers!! serious ones at that, yes i know what mason hit on xmas and boston, but when it really matters like the playoffs? or during losing streaks thats when mason isnt a factor.bonner also i love them as bench players but them being our only options last year proved to be a disaster well see how RJ steps up for the playoffs

polandprzem
04-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Well done lurker

Yup Jefferson was hitting his shots. I was mentioning him in my perspectives. I belive no one that time was agreeing with me about RJ. There were "Dick" threads all over the place.

Also he was giving an effort but he needed to adapt better. Well he needed to do more then other players.

#2!
04-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Hopefully he can maintain these numbers once TP comes back.

For RJ, rebounding, blocks, defense in general, and going to the basket when given the ball are all things that have nothing to do with Tony Parker. All of these elements should hold out through the playoffs as long as Richard can maintain his aggressiveness.

ceperez
04-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Two comments.

For RJ to be effective for the Spurs he has to consistently take it to the rim like a battering ram and punish the opponents physically for it.

Second, he has to be expect to be hit and be more creative in his shot by not always attempting to dunk the ball.

Manu, Parker, Hill all expect to take a hit and can score when they do. Even Blair is like a oversized Parker, he seems to find weird angles to get the ball in the hoop. RJ however seems to inflexible and unimaginative when he makes his drive, it seems like he decides what to do at the start of it and can't re-create his finish.

lennyalderette
04-02-2010, 06:59 AM
For RJ, rebounding, blocks, defense in general, and going to the basket when given the ball are all things that have nothing to do with Tony Parker. All of these elements should hold out through the playoffs as long as Richard can maintain his aggressiveness.

good point

Solid D
04-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Finally, I have to take a minute to talk about Jefferson's defense, which is one of the bigger issues Spurs fans have had with RJ. Many Spurs fans have already come to the realization that RJ is not going to be a stopper; this acceptance is a good thing, as it sets fans goals for him much closer to reality, as opposed to the inflated sense that the front office tried to instill in the offseason. However, RJ definitely showed some flashes of starting to get it on defense in March. Don't get me wrong, there were still times that I was yelling at my TV screen for RJ to rotate properly and use his size more effectively. Still, he's beginning to show more effort on the defensive end recently. This is particularly evident in his blocks numbers for March; he got 14 blocks for the month, which is significantly more than any other month for the year (his previous high month had 7 blocks). If he can put in the effort, improve his rotations, and get a few blocks here and there, his liability on that side of the court will significantly decline.

Glad you were realistic about RJ's defense. He basically has attention deficit on defense. He wanders to places unexplained.

Richard has definitely added more attacking and scoring to his mindset and none too soon! He shines with Manu in there. When Tony comes back, RJ can thrive with Tony also but only when TP isn't dishing the ball off as a last resort.

Spurs Brazil
04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Great read lurker23

It's good to see RJ playing better. I hope he stays in attack mode when TP is back. On defense I think his one on one D is good, improved from the beggining of the season but his rotations are still weak

urunobili
04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Great thread lurker.

RJ can turn it around on this board and with the entire Spurs worldwide fanbase by having a solid playoff outing and help us win games there; when it matters most.

As whottt was saying he ain't no choker and if he goes aggressively after each rebound as he has been doing everybody we'll be happy with him that way :)

TimmehC
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Well done. Like most others have said, the March version of RJ is the one we want to see from now on. That RJ is the one that can help push us beyond a first-round exit.

silverblk mystix
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
agree on most points...

just wanted to add that-despite a bad start and a lot of criticism from everywhere--

RJ has kept a pretty decent attitude

he has accepted Pop's criticism, demotion, crazy substitution patterns, lineup changes,etc...

AND remained professional through it all

although everyone knew he was in the spur mold---it is still nice to see it

the clincher would be if he peaks in the playoffs and helps the spurs make this a special season---then it will be quite a nice story that unfolds and satisfies most spurs fans...

jag
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
He wanders to places unexplained.

:lol

He has all the physical tools to be a defensive beast, but like many things with RJ, it's all mental.