View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Brian Zoubek

Bruno
04-02-2010, 09:58 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/1023/ncb_a_zoubek_200.jpg
Height: 7-1
Weight: 245 lbs
Birthday: 04/06/1988
College: Duke

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brian-Zoubek-1136/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/brian-zoubek)

pad300
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I actually wouldn't mind this guy with the 50th or so... He's got a certain "Rasho Nesterovic" about him. IF he was croatian or something he'd probably go 20 spots higher...I also think he'd score quite a bit more if he wasn't at Duke - their offence tends to go into the post about twice a game...

kbrury
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm intrigued.

DesignatedT
04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
this guy sucks.

tothrowed
04-07-2010, 01:36 AM
this guy sucks.
hell yea i agree with this niggs t , zoubek is taller than everybody but he still sucks worse than a crackhead needing a fix

mogrovejo
04-08-2010, 12:25 AM
I actually wouldn't mind this guy with the 50th or so... He's got a certain "Rasho Nesterovic" about him

Yeah, if you disregard the ability to pass, the jump-shot, the textbook screening, the ability to finish at the rim with both hands, the pinch post moves and, to sum it up, the overall basketball ability, he's pretty close. For example, their fastness/quickness is extremely similar - today.

I agree with the late 2nd rounder on this guy though: he's a good rebounder, better than Nesterovic ever was, a passable rim protector and seems to have decent hands, so he should be at least a decent 3rd string, pretty much like a 34 yrs old Nesterovic.

pad300
04-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, if you disregard the ability to pass, the jump-shot, the textbook screening, the ability to finish at the rim with both hands, the pinch post moves and, to sum it up, the overall basketball ability, he's pretty close. For example, their fastness/quickness is extremely similar - today.

I agree with the late 2nd rounder on this guy though: he's a good rebounder, better than Nesterovic ever was, a passable rim protector and seems to have decent hands, so he should be at least a decent 3rd string, pretty much like a 34 yrs old Nesterovic.

He's got a certain Rasho Nesterovic in that he's content with being 4th or so option on offence while setting screens and doing some dirty work. He's got a certain Rasho Nesterovic in that he'll play correct position defence (and be smart while doing it), but can't jump over a sheet of paper...He's not a clone of Nesterovic, but like I said, if he was a Croat or a Yugoslavian or so, he'd be going 20 spots higher. Currently people look and say "american white stiff"...if he was a Euro they would say "could develop into a center...".

mogrovejo
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
He's got a certain Rasho Nesterovic in that he's content with being 4th or so option on offence while setting screens and doing some dirty work. He's got a certain Rasho Nesterovic in that he'll play correct position defence (and be smart while doing it), but can't jump over a sheet of paper...He's not a clone of Nesterovic, but like I said, if he was a Croat or a Yugoslavian or so, he'd be going 20 spots higher. Currently people look and say "american white stiff"...if he was a Euro they would say "could develop into a center...".

I don't agree. He's Timofey Mozgov without the potential. And Mozgov wasn't drafted.

Some guys go 20 spots higher due to their size, but for every Stanko Barac, there's an Aaron Gray. If anything, it's much more frequent to find American 7fters who were drafted 20 spots higher. Plus, one of the reasons to overreach for foreign prospects in the 2nd round is the contractual situation... & because every 21 years Croatian stiff has a jump-shot.

Nesterovic was an excellent role-player; this guy doesn't have that sort of potential. If he was Croatian, he'd go late 2nd round/undrafted. He's comparable to guys like Semih Erden in regards to the type of impact he may have.

noob cake
04-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Don't touch Zoub unless you pick him with a 45+ pick

dbestpro
05-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Swen Nater got limited play in college and became a pretty good pro for the Spurs.

duncan228
06-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Five potential sleepers in the draft (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/06/10/draft.sleeper.candidates/index.html)
By Jonathan Givony, DraftExpress.com

Brian Zoubek, C, Sr., Duke

Offensive rebounding rate, the percentage of misses converted into extra possessions, is considered by many to be one of the most influential factors in determining a team's success. That was clearly the case last season at the college level, where one of the best offensive rebounding teams (http://kenpom.com/factors.php?y=2010&t=o&s=7) in the country, Duke, won the national championship.

Zoubek was the biggest reason for the Blue Devils' advantage on the offensive glass. He led the nation by a wide margin with 7.8 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes pace adjusted. In fact, Zoubek ranks as the second-best per-minute offensive rebounder in the NCAA in the past decade, behind only DeJuan Blair, who made the NBA's All-Rookie second team this season after slipping to the second round of the 2009 draft.

The difference between Zoubek and Blair is a matter of 7 inches, as the Blue Devil stands 7-1 in shoes and the former Pittsburgh star is just 6-6. Zoubek probably isn't as good of an offensive player as Blair, but he clearly understands his role and is capable of executing it in an NBA half-court setting. (He averaged 5.6 points and 7.7 rebounds in 18.7 minutes last season.) Considering any big man with a pulse and some girth can earn an NBA opportunity, Zoubek could be a solid pickup in the second round.

admiralsnackbar
06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Zoubek is also incredibly foul prone, something that often hinders his playing time. He commits a foul every 5 minutes he’s on the floor on average, which is part of the reason he only played 19 minutes per game.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brian-Zoubek-1136/

I'd rather keep Ian, and I'm the last person in the world to think Ian is a "secret weapon" or whatever.

DesignatedT
06-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't like this guy at all. Seemed pretty uncoordinated and slow when watching him. Also have never seen him use a post move or back anybody down. Just scores on putbacks or set up dunks.

noob cake
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I don't like this guy at all. Seemed pretty uncoordinated and slow when watching him. Also have never seen him use a post move or back anybody down. Just scores on putbacks or set up dunks.

As a Duke fan, this is the truth. Zoubs doesn't run naturally. He is extremely slow also.

timvp
06-23-2010, 03:03 AM
I wouldn't love the pick but he's one of the few second round bigs who isn't a project. He seems to understand how to fit in an offense and his ability to rebound and set mean picks should translate. Boring pick but he'd be somewhat useful as a fifth or sixth big right away.