PDA

View Full Version : Flozell and Hamlin Cut

mexicanjunior
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys

At the NFL scouting combine, Jerry Jones talked about how his Dallas Cowboys didn’t have any glaring draft needs.

That is no longer the case after they cut two veteran starters, bidding farewell to left tackle Flozell Adams and free safety Ken Hamlin on Good Friday.

The Cowboys made no secret of the fact that they were considering parting ways with Adams and Hamlin, but the timing of the releases comes as a bit of a surprise. And that has nothing to do with the holiday.

The Cowboys have now put themselves in a position where they probably need to spend premium picks on a tackle and safety. They no longer have the luxury of proven veterans as insurance policies.

At tackle, the Cowboys believe that Doug Free is ready to replace Adams, a fixture there for the last dozen years. But they now have no proven depth at the position. They can’t rely on Robert Brewster, a third-round pick who missed his rookie season with a torn pectoral, to be the swing tackle, especially since he’s not considered left tackle material.

At safety, Alan Ball proved during a four-game stint as a fill-in starter last season that he can at least be adequate, although his size is a concern in run support. The Cowboys also consider Michael Hamlin, who is not related to Ken, to be a candidate to earn a starting job. But we’re talking about a seventh-round converted cornerback and a fifth-round pick who basically no NFL experience.

Left tackle and free safety were considered the Cowboys' primary draft needs before they got rid of the incumbent starters. Now they have no choice but to use picks on those positions.

Hamlin was expected...Flozell is a MAJOR surprise! Kind of changes things for the draft...safety and tackle are priorities now and I am VERY happy to not be putting up with either of them anymore.

DBryant88
04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
just about to post it. Adams wasn't as much of a suprise as everyone thinks, Free played well with the opportunities he was given and adams is getting old. Hamlin was a one season wonder and I think Ball played better then Hamlin after Hamlin sprained his ankle

monosylab1k
04-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Flozell is the guy everybody loves to hate, up until the day he's gone. Then they realize just how valuable he was. He may have been a false start machine, but he also did a damn good job protecting Romo. They're gonna have a lot of trouble replacing him.

Hamlin had one good year in Dallas and sucked after that.

Whisky Dog
04-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Big mistake IMO with Flozell. Now there is absolutely no line depth whatsoever and although Free did well at RIGHT tackle last season I don't know if he can handle the blind side responsibilities against the other team's premier end rusher. A rook isn't going to step in and dominate that position, I don't care how good he is. Flo still played very well last season, against the Vikings it was when he went out that the wheels fell off and Romo started getting killed. This move screams penny wise, pound foolish.

jag
04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I'll miss Flozell, but i think he was pretty much done. He was one of the reasons for Dallas being among the league leaders in penalties for much of the year.

It'll be interesting to see what direction they go in the draft.

Dr. Gonzo
04-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Even though he was retarded and jumped the gun about 3 times a game, he was still a very good blocker. He did get burned by speed rushers a few times but for the most part his blocking was solid. It's going to be hard for him to be replaced. Good thing Romo can scramble because he is going to be running around a lot more next season.

Whisky Dog
04-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I'll miss Flozell, but i think he was pretty much done. He was one of the reasons for Dallas being among the league leaders in penalties for much of the year.

It'll be interesting to see what direction they go in the draft.

How was he done? The stupid penalties and playoff injury were his negatives - when the ball snapped he still had a great season blocking and sealing Romo's blind side. It's no coincidence Jared Allen didn't get his name called in the PO game until Flo went out then it was the Allen HOF audition special the rest of the way. The Cowboys have no one to replace this guy.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-02-2010, 06:21 PM
A rook isn't going to step in and dominate that position, I don't care how good he is.

Kind of a meaningless point, but Jake Long and Joe Thomas were studs from the get go, but that doesn't matter unless Dallas somehow trades up to get Russell Okung or something.

IronMexican
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Dallas traded their first round pick for Gaither.

mardigan
04-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Eh, Doug Free will be alright.
Glad to see Hamlin go though, he was a huge disappointment.

Ditty
04-03-2010, 01:57 AM
maybe the redskins pick up adams and add clausen now

samikeyp
04-03-2010, 09:13 AM
The Cowboys have no one to replace this guy.

This was my big issue. I am not completely surprised that he is gone but I has hoping the Cowboys would have better prepared themselves for it.

Horry For 3!
04-03-2010, 12:56 PM
They said they were cut for finanical reasons. But yeah we for sure will be looking at LT and SS in the draft.

Whisky Dog
04-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Kind of a meaningless point, but Jake Long and Joe Thomas were studs from the get go, but that doesn't matter unless Dallas somehow trades up to get Russell Okung or something.

They had excellent rookie seasons, but they also had their growing pains and issues. Also, in this division going against Osi, Tuck, Kiwan of the Gs as well as guys like Orakpo and Trent Cole would have tested them much more on a week to week basis if they were with the Cowboys playing left tackle.

slick'81
04-03-2010, 07:17 PM
flozell was a very good tackle for a long time in big d but if they were ever gonna finally cut the cord now was the obviously the time to see what they have in free

as for hamlin he can easily be replaced

Whisky Dog
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Here's the reason these two were cut:

"... But having said all that, and the Cowboys figuring out after attending the NFL meetings in Orlando a week ago that there was absolutely no chance of getting a CBA done this year and that this definitely would be an uncapped season, then they would be foolish not to use their free get-out-of-jail-card on two guys they were going to dump no later than 2011 anyway.

You with me here?

Remember, under the capped system, you pay a high price on your salary cap for releasing veterans signed to long-term deals with pricy signing bonuses. A little thing called prorated signing bonus escalates when you release players, and both of these guys had four years left on their six-year deals signed in 2008. So think like the Cowboys were thinking here over the past couple of weeks.

Yeah, they might could have put up with Flo and Hamlin another year. But it was close, and chances are they knew they'd be dumping them by 2011, and guarantee you, if the NFL is playing football in 2011, there WILL be a salary cap. So if that's the case, and the Cowboys released Adams in 2011, then $6.5 million of dead money would have rolled into their salary cap.

If they released Hamlin in 2011, as surely they would have, knowing they must upgrade the talent at free safety with either young vets this year or a high draft choice, possibly using their first, then another $4.5 million of dead money would roll into their 2011 cap. That right there is $11 million, total.

But ah, release them this year, and who cares if Adams' $8.64 million and Hamlin's $6 million escalates into 2010. There's no cap, i.e., no penalty, thus no cost to get out of jail. Just doesn't matter. Like finding a place to dump toxic waste.

So they save Cowboys money."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=C0AAC255-B746-D8DD-878AE8F9123513E0

jack sommerset
04-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Fuck Adams. He killed momentum time and time again. I don't care how good you are if you can't play by the rules, get the fuck OUT!

Harry Callahan
04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Adams was had an excellent career in Dallas, but the end was near anyway. Dallas will try to go younger.

DBryant88
04-05-2010, 07:36 AM
I pound guy ass

gay

SpuronyourFace
04-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I think Flo had one more good year left. I always enjoyed watching him slap around and own the Giants D-Lineman. Then subsequently watch them cry like women about it afterwards...............good times.

But I think Free is more than capable of getting the job done. He filled in great for Columbo at the right side, when he is a natural LT. I mean he had a tough time with Jared Allen in the playoff game when Flo went down, but he didn't expect to play LT during that game and had been practicing on the right side, so I give him a pass there.

But even with Free, the Cowboys will still draft another LT for depth this year.

As far ass Hamlin goes, I could care less.