PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: NBA Championship dreams? Think big or go home

Blackjack
04-02-2010, 12:01 PM
NBA Championship dreams? Think big or go home
by Jesse Blanchard

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1218/nba_g_howard_576.jpg
Is Tim Duncan still better than Dwight Howard?

The Devil’s greatest trick was convincing the world that he didn’t exist. Michael Jordan’s greatest feat? Convincing the NBA that greatness is measured in 40-inch verticals wrapped in 6-foot-6 packages.

Since Jordan hoisted his NBA Finals clinching shot over Byron Russell, it’s been assumed that the next great player would come replete with game-clinching fadeaway jumpers and ESPN highlight packages.

But if history has shown us anything, it’s that the league has been littered with high-flying, high-scoring swingmen. Yet most championship teams have been built on the sturdy foundations of seven-foot behemoths. That Michael Jordan finished as the greatest player of all time from his position is the exception, not the rule.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/04/02/nba-championship-dreams-think-big-or-go-home/#more-7239)

WildcardManu
04-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Good read.

PBEEZY
04-02-2010, 05:25 PM
nice article

santymrc
04-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Good read.
He left some stuffs away while considering it, but I'm ok with his final thougt.
But couple things:

1) Bigs almost allways shoot bad from the FT line. That's a big problem in the clutch -doesnt happen with SG's-.
2) P'n'r take that big man out of the paint, making him useless in Rb and blocks.
3) Bigs against Bigs can cancell each other many times (if they get some equal in D and O.)
4) They get in foul trouble more often than SG's.
5) If they are too big they usually end up injured (Oden, Ming, etc).
6) Double teams. SG's get them away from the basket, open it up for all. Bigs get it in the post, open it up for a long range shot. % wise, is better.
There might be more things to consider if the SG's are better than Bigs (in championship impact). I think they are more even than this article says.

santymrc
04-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Good read.
He left some stuffs away while considering it, but I'm ok with his final thougt.
But couple things:

1) Bigs almost allways shoot bad from the FT line. That's a big problem in the clutch -doesnt happen with SG's-.
2) P'n'r take that big man out of the paint, making him useless in Rb and blocks.
3) Bigs against Bigs can cancell each other many times (if they get some equal in D and O.)
4) They get in foul trouble more often than SG's.
5) If they are too big they usually end up injured (Oden, Ming, etc).
6) Double teams. SG's get them away from the basket, open it up for all. Bigs get it in the post, open it up for a long range shot. % wise, is better.
There might be more things to consider if the SG's are better than Bigs (in championship impact). I think they are more even than this article says.

I told ya.