PDA

View Full Version : Kenyon Martin flips out over popcorn prank

lurker
04-02-2010, 07:31 PM
:lmao

On a night when the Denver Nuggets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=den) should have been celebrating a much-needed victory over the Portland Trail Blazers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=por), the franchise continued to struggle with off-the-court issues when an April Fools' Day joke sparked anything but laughter.

During Denver's 109-92 victory, a former Nuggets ball boy, Laquan Johnson, got into the club's locker room, took Kenyon Martin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=515)'s car keys and filled the player's Range Rover with buttered popcorn. The car had a white interior.

Martin discovered the damage as he was about to exit Denver's Pepsi Center. At the time, had no idea who had pulled the prank. Angered, he went back to the locker room spewing profanities and threats at teammates and other members of the organization.

"That ain't no [expletive] joke," Martin said. "I'm going to find out who did it ... put my [expletive] hands on one of y'all. I'm going to put my hands on whoever did it. You better believe that. It's [expletive] personal. You better believe it."

Martin, who has missed 15 games with a torn patella tendon in his left knee, threatened to boycott the postseason if he did not find out who was responsible. "How 'bout if I don't play in the playoffs until somebody tells me who did it," Martin said more than once.

Martin stormed in and out of the locker room several times, and a person close to him said his anger was not over the prank, but over the fact that someone could go into his pocket and take his keys during a game. Realizing the culprit had to have access to the private code for the team's gated parking lot, he assumed members of the organization either pulled the stunt or assisted in it.

"The fact that no one saw it or had anything to say about it -- not security, not the equipment manager," a person close to Martin said, explaining the player's anger. "Somebody had to see it. He was wondering how the organization let something like that happen. What if the kid had really wanted to do something evil?"

Later, Martin found out Johnson, the former ball boy who is now the driver for teammate J.R. Smith (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2444), was responsible. Johnson apologized to Martin and agreed to pay for the damage to his car.

"It was just an April Fools joke that went horribly wrong," said a member of the Nuggets organization who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "The kid thought it would be funny and it wasn't. Kenyon was back at practice today and everything was fine between him and his teammates."

The episode was the latest in a string of distractions Denver has had to deal with lately. Once regarded as the Western Conference's top challenger to the Los Angeles Lakers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=lal), the Nuggets have all but fallen apart down the stretch.

With Martin out and coach George Karl missing games while getting treatment for throat cancer, Denver had lost five of six games before defeating Portland. That stretch dropped them from the second seed to the fifth seed in the West.

Martin, who cannot guarantee he'll be healthy for the playoffs, said before Thursday's game that he hopes to return for the last regular season game or two.

IronMexican
04-02-2010, 07:34 PM
:lmao I'd hate whoever made a butch-fit like that for the Lakers.

BRHornet45
04-02-2010, 07:35 PM
ok sons now I can understand Martin being pissed off, but the dude is making $32 million over the next 2 years ... does the ball ball really have to pay to clean your car? lol. I can assure you it wasn't the ball boy's idea ... teammates encouraged it.

BRHornet45
04-02-2010, 07:42 PM
this would have been a better way ...

8pfcZAH6K1o

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
04-02-2010, 07:42 PM
:lmao

On a serious note. How much popcorn was it? was it just the driver's seat or the whole interior? something like this

http://kingsforum.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dontepopcorn.jpg

ginobili's bald spot
04-02-2010, 07:43 PM
:lol I don't think you're supposed to do that prank with BUTTERED popcorn. But if anyone deserves it, it's that bitch Kenyon Martin.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
04-02-2010, 07:46 PM
:lol I don't think you're supposed to do that prank with BUTTERED popcorn. But if anyone deserves it, it's that bitch Kenyon Martin.

With white interior :wow.

sribb43
04-02-2010, 07:50 PM
WTF is some former ball boy doing this kind of shit...i guess he had reassurance from his buddy JR that if KMart tried some gangsta shit on him that JR would get his crew to take care of Kenyon

IronMexican
04-02-2010, 07:54 PM
WTF is some former ball boy doing this kind of shit...i guess he had reassurance from his buddy JR that if KMart tried some gangsta shit on him that JR would get his crew to take care of Kenyon

How does JR take care of business? Does he offer K-Mart a ride home after a night at the club?

redzero
04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
The prank went horribly wrong? No, the ball boy is just retarded.

BlackSwordsMan
04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
what a fucked up prank
what an asshole ball boy

sribb43
04-02-2010, 08:08 PM
How does JR take care of business? Does he offer K-Mart a ride home after a night at the club?

:lmao...that would get the job done

21_Blessings
04-02-2010, 08:11 PM
The prank went horribly wrong? No, the ball boy is just retarded.

Let's stop acting like the fucking ballboy masterminded the prank here. Obviously he was put up to it by others on the team.

Stringer_Bell
04-02-2010, 08:16 PM
"How 'bout if I don't play in the playoffs until somebody tells me who did it," Martin said more than once.

AHAHAHA! What an entitled, ghetto ass bitch acting like he can't afford 20 of whatever vehicle got fucked up. These jerks have so much disposable income it's not funny, yet he's crying like a bitch over an obviously idiotic prank. Totally could have handled it better than to take it "personal"

HarlemHeat37
04-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Why is that bad?..just because the guy has a lot of money, it doesn't mean he should brush it off when some idiot ruins the interior of his car for a stupid prank..

I don't like Kenyon Martin, but he definitely has the right to be angry here..

If it wasn't the ball boy's idea, one of the other guys will just pay for it without telling KMart(or maybe even telling him), otherwise, the ball boy might Kobe on them anyways..don't feel bad for that idiot..

BRHornet45
04-02-2010, 08:22 PM

son no stop sign would stop JR from getting the job done

BRHornet45
04-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Let's stop acting like the fucking ballboy masterminded the prank here. Obviously he was put up to it by others on the team.

lol exactly. people blaming the ball boy is ridiculous. sure he did it, but I'm sure this teenage kid was told to do it by numerous teammates and Nuggets staff. I don't think anyone expected thuggin-n-buggin Kenyon Martin to blow up on them and threaten to willingly abandon them in the playoffs. tells you a lot about his character.

monosylab1k
04-02-2010, 08:28 PM
K-Mart is a fugazy little faggot that wasn't gonna do shit. More tough talk from the biggest phony in sports.

HarlemHeat37
04-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Who would you prefer mono, Trina or Cristal?..

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Was wondering if someone else realized how someone (most likely JR Smith) completely left the ball boy hung out to dry.

picc84
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
lol Thuggets

Big surprise that a team full of killers and thugs would have a blowup over an april fools joke. I'm surprised Martin hasn't asked JR to "drive" the ballboy around town for a bit.

monosylab1k
04-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Seriously, I bet there's male gay exotic dancers with more street cred than K-Mart. Fake thug fugazy ass little bitch, that's all he is.

skut_farkus
04-02-2010, 08:50 PM
K-Mart is a fugazy little faggot that wasn't gonna do shit. More tough talk from the biggest phony in sports.

Crofl cuban

j.dizzle
04-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Kmart is a faggot for getting all butthurt but it dont matter how much money you have..If someone puts that much buttered popcorn on leather it'll stain that shit..His car gonna smell like the movie theaters for a month hahaha

ploto
04-02-2010, 11:54 PM
someone could go into his pocket and take his keys during a game...

"The fact that no one saw it or had anything to say about it -- not security, not the equipment manager," a person close to Martin said, explaining the player's anger. "Somebody had to see it. He was wondering how the organization let something like that happen. What if the kid had really wanted to do something evil?"

I actually agree with him here.

cheguevara
04-03-2010, 12:02 AM
LMAO black Jesus having a WHITE interior

SomeCallMeTim
04-03-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm hearing that what really set Kenyon off wasn't the popcorn, it was that the perpetrator touched his levels. Kenyon had 'em set just like he wants 'em.

BRHornet45
04-03-2010, 10:22 AM
someone really needs to make one of those Hitler scenes to this ...

Donkeybong
04-03-2010, 02:05 PM
id be pissed too. buttered popcorn? thats fucked.

hitmanyr2k
04-03-2010, 02:16 PM
The ballboy couldn't fill the car with styrofoam popcorn or something harmless like that? Buttered popcorn on white interior is just retarded. It never came to mind that it would stain and ruin the interior of the car?

resistanze
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM
The ballboy couldn't fill the car with styrofoam popcorn or something harmless like that? Buttered popcorn on white interior is just retarded. It never came to mind that it would stain and ruin the interior of the car?
:lol +1.

Seriously, buttered popcorn? I know people in this thread would be saying "I'd crack his fucking jaw," if it was someone else's car. It just happens that Kenyon Martin's an asshat.

duncan228
04-03-2010, 07:41 PM
From the makers of Bad Idea Jeans: Pranking Kenyon Martin (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/From-the-makers-of-Bad-Idea-Jeans-Pranking-Keny;_ylt=AqzTKdB7OWouwdiVilSpPXm8vLYF?urn=nba,231 919)
By Trey Kerby
Ball Don't Lie

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nba_experts__49/ept_sports_nba_experts-78312774-1270303873.jpg?ymBCO7CDb9ZeuynZ

Even though I'm sure he's nice, Kenyon Martin is kind of a scary guy. First off, he's huge, no duh. That alone would be enough to deter me from messing with him. But then, he also seems pretty angry, or at least short tempered. And, of course, he's always ready to drop the hammer whenever he deems it necessary which is pretty often. Basically, there are a lot of reasons I wouldn't pull a prank on Kenyon Martin.

Apparently, a former Nuggets ball boy felt differently, filling Martin's Range Rover with buttered popcorn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5051607). You can imagine how well that went over.

"That ain't no [expletive] joke," Martin said. "I'm going to find out who did it ... put my [expletive] hands on one of y'all. I'm going to put my hands on whoever did it. You better believe that. It's [expletive] personal. You better believe it."

After threatening violence, Kenyon then threatened to skip the playoffs if no one confessed. Yikes.

On one hand, April Fool's Day pranks are basically the worst unless you're between 6 and 12 years old. Grown-ups shouldn't really be trying to fool each other, should they? I don't think so either, so I at least "get" why Kenyon Martin is upset.

On the other hand — relax, Kenyon Martin. If someone pulls a prank on you, you don't necessarily threaten to "put hands" on them. That seems like a bit of an over-reaction. Especially, when you consider Kenyon is going to make more than $32 million between this season and next. He can probably afford to pick a new Range Rover or eight. Just be cool like Spencer Hawes was when he filled Jason Thompson's "'Scalade" with popcorn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKP-ysd4VEU). It'll be okay.

In the end, everything turned out just fine.

"It was just an April Fools joke that went horribly wrong," said a member of the Nuggets organization who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "The kid thought it would be funny and it wasn't. Kenyon was back at practice today and everything was fine between him and his teammates."

To be fair to the ball boy, it would be kind of funny to see Kenyon Martin get really upset about popcorn in his truck. But do you really want to make Kenyon Martin that angry? Me neither.

HarlemHeat37
04-03-2010, 07:46 PM
"Trey Kerby" is an idiot..

Buttered popcorn isn't the same as just popcorn, and it's different with the white interior..I don't see how anybody can blame Martin here..

Also, these guys criticize athletes for losing their money and going broke, but in this situation they're criticizing a guy for being upset for NOT wanting to blow 50 stacks on another Range..

Mel_13
04-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Audio here:

http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/08/kenyon-martin-nba-locker-room-tirade-audio/#ixzz0kVG6iqkT