PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are title contenders

chazley
04-02-2010, 10:24 PM
We have a good chance at winning a title this year. We can beat any team in the West right now in a 7 game series without home court advantage, except for the Lakers. Once Parker comes back, I see us being able to contend with the Lakers no doubt.

I've been saying all season the Spurs are the only team in the West who can knock off the Lakers. I'm right.

benefactor
04-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Let's not get carried away now.

EmptyMan
04-02-2010, 10:26 PM
If this Manu were around in the playoffs a couple seasons ago v. L.A....

:depressed

benefactor

:bang

200 miles
FAIL thread + Jinx

ffadicted
I'm right.

Well when you put it like that...

jestersmash
04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
What happens if we lose to the Lakers on Sunday which is totally possible. Are we still title contenders?

I feel like the highs at spurs talk are sometimes too high, and the lows are sometimes too low (i.e. see spurstalk after loss to the nets).

Clearly the nets loss didn't matter as much, it was an atypical game. We had no ginobili and parker.

I think it's best to maintain a humble attitude. We beat the best team in the nba right now currently (not by record, but by how they are playing - the magic) but let's not get carried away.

HarlemHeat37
TBH, I think the Spurs can hang with the Lakers almost everywhere, except for the most important positions..the frontcourt..Duncan and Gasol usually even each other out, so who is left?..

Bynum and Odom vs. McDyess/Bonner/Blair..horrible matchup for the Spurs, and that's where the Lakers advantage comes through..their length/size is just way too much in that matchup..it also doesn't help that Bonner always chokes against LA, they dare him to beat them and he never responds..their frontcourt will just wear the Spurs out, draw fouls, get boards, and the Spurs bigs can't respond offensively..

There's also the serious advantage that the Lakers have against Pop..I love Pop, but they own him..

If the Spurs had a better frontcourt, I would have confidence in this team..it's a huge flaw though..

I don't think the Spurs can beat Orlando or Cleveland in a series, but I think they could make it competitive..unfortunately, the Spurs will have to get past LA, and that's the worst possible matchup and the only team that has been able to beat the Spurs in the Duncan era..

Galileo
Galileo was right!

jestersmash
04-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Spurs - Lakers, we sorely need tony parker. Parker is our Lakers killer.

mytespurs
04-02-2010, 10:30 PM

...and playing as he is now a couple of years ago.......:wow:wow:wow

Bartleby
04-02-2010, 10:30 PM
I think the Spurs will put up a good fight no matter who they play and how far they go, but nobody is going to beat Cleveland in a series.

mytespurs
04-02-2010, 10:32 PM
We have a good chance at winning a title this year. We can beat any team in the West right now in a 7 game series without home court advantage, except for the Lakers. Once Parker comes back, I see us being able to contend with the Lakers no doubt.

I've been saying all season the Spurs are the only team in the West who can knock off the Lakers. I'm right.

I understand the excitement after a quality win over a good team but let's not go crazy. Talk to me after the matchup Sunday.

As well as the Spurs have been playing, Lakers are the better team and will most likely win a playoff series. I can be happy about the Spurs but I'm not going to get overly excited, especially if they have to face a very motivated Lakers team in the first round of the playoffs.

ElNono
04-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Where was this thread after the NJ game? :lol

Chomag
04-02-2010, 10:34 PM
So what happens if Spurs lose to the Lakers next game?

04-02-2010, 10:35 PM
this win was nice, but let's wait and see how parker and the whole team perform in the first round of the playoffs first.

OldSilentHill
04-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I see blind people.

Manu is a contender. Sadly, Spurs are not.

chazley
04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
TBH, I think the Spurs can hang with the Lakers almost everywhere, except for the most important positions..the frontcourt..Duncan and Gasol usually even each other out, so who is left?..

Bynum and Odom vs. McDyess/Bonner/Blair..horrible matchup for the Spurs, and that's where the Lakers advantage comes through..their length/size is just way too much in that matchup..it also doesn't help that Bonner always chokes against LA, they dare him to beat them and he never responds..their frontcourt will just wear the Spurs out, draw fouls, get boards, and the Spurs bigs can't respond offensively..

There's also the serious advantage that the Lakers have against Pop..I love Pop, but they own him..

If the Spurs had a better frontcourt, I would have confidence in this team..it's a huge flaw though..

I don't think the Spurs can beat Orlando or Cleveland in a series, but I think they could make it competitive..unfortunately, the Spurs will have to get past LA, and that's the worst possible matchup and the only team that has been able to beat the Spurs in the Duncan era..

Manu is as good or better than Kobe right now. That's not just me saying that because I'm a Spurs fan, it is simple fact.

How about Parker vs. Fisher? Huge matchup nightmare for L.A. also.

And I'm tired of this supposed HUGE Lakers advantage the frontcourt. I'd argue RJ/Timmy/McDyess can hang with Odom/Bynum/Gasol/Artest. Bynum is so overrated it frustrates me. In the playoffs, Duncan will be better than Gasol, Bynum slightly better than McDyess, and Artest slightly better than RJ. Bonner is a matchup problem also, although not a huge one. Odom would definitely give us trouble, but he can't carry that team.

Contrary to popular belief, we have advantages over the Lakers also.

TampaDude
04-02-2010, 10:36 PM

There would be FIVE huge banners hanging in the T, not just four. :hat

chazley
04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I see blind people.

In that case:

Dwight is a contender, Magic aren't

Lebron is a contender, Cavs aren't

Kobe is a contender, Lakers aren't

Invalid argument. One person can elevate his team to contender status, and Manu is one of those people.

TampaDude
04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
So what happens if Spurs lose to the Lakers next game?

If it's a close loss, without Parker, that's okay. If we get blown the fuck out, then yeah, we've got a big mountain to climb.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I see blind people.

This is the most idiotic thing I've read since...........

lakaluva's last post.

Shastafarian
04-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm out

You just couldn't stay away could ya?

LoneStarState'sPride
04-02-2010, 10:48 PM
You clowns are very stupid.

Says the poster who said he was out a full fucking half hour ago.

TampaDude

See you in LA, beeyotch...

chazley

Why?

I don't post unless I know I have a very strong argument. You sir are just blind. I understand you're a huge homer with no real knowledge outside of the Lakers, but even through your yellow and purple stained glasses you should see the Spurs are playing very well and can beat anyone on any given night.

Johnny RIngo
04-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Let's not get carried away now.

tothrowed
04-02-2010, 10:50 PM
ay yall this niggas name is laka luva cuz he wishes he could of been that girl kobe raped real talk

DJ Mbenga
04-02-2010, 10:54 PM

would have been neutralized by a healthy bynum

chazley
04-02-2010, 11:07 PM
would have been neutralized by a healthy bynum

Bynum would've given you what Gasol made up for in his absense. Manu would've been a game changer.

jjktkk
04-03-2010, 12:18 AM

Is Bynum still injured? I like the Spurs chances alittle better with Bynum becoming the 2nd coming of Greg Oden(injury prone). The Lakers are not as dominant as last year IMO. Greaqt starting 5, but their bench doesn't exist. Their defense is not as good this year as well. and I disagree with Jackson owning Pop. Owning a coach, player, or team, means to me that one side always wins. Pop has beaten Jackson in the playoffs. Now I know the lakers would be the favorites, but they don't look so invincible this year.

ffadicted
04-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Come home after the weekend with a road win in LA and I'll entertain the idea

honestfool84
04-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Galileo was right!

the high stand you hold yourself upon is becoming a tad bit disgusting.

honestfool84
04-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Your a fucking idiot! ever heard of a team named the mavs, same team that can owns the spurs any day, same team that is gonna go to the finals, same team that's winning the southwest, witch is the division the spurs are in by the way.

:lol at spelling "which" WITCH.

you should probably go wash your mouth out, dear 10 year old.

SnakeBoy
04-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Mavs could possibly be very tough for the Spurs. It really just depends on what round Dirk decides to turn into a pussy. Some years it's the 1st round, some the 2nd...there doesn't seem to be any way to predict when he will turn into a pussy just that he will at some point. Once he looked great all the way to the finals and then bam...pussified.

jjktkk
04-03-2010, 01:33 AM
wow i am really surprised no one has said shit, i mean i am in the damn spurs forum, posting how the mavs would own the spurs in the playoffs, it all depends on if the spurs fall to the 8th seed LMAO, on a thread titled spurs are title contenders! and no spurs fan has said shit? Damn you fuckers don't even pretend to have confidence in your team! worst fans ever for the worst team ever!

Are you Mark Cuban's illegitimate love child?

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 01:37 AM
worst fans ever for the worst team ever!

Says the fan of a team with exactly 1 goose egg in the trophy case. Thanks for playing.

:downspin:

peskypesky
04-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Spurs are contenders as long as Tony Parker is on the injured list.

santymrc
04-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Mavs could possibly be very tough for the Spurs. It really just depends on what round Dirk decides to turn into a pussy. Some years it's the 1st round, some the 2nd...there doesn't seem to be any way to predict when he will turn into a pussy just that he will at some point. Once he looked great all the way to the finals and then bam...pussified.

HAhahaAHAHAHA :lol:lol:lol:lol

+100000000

chazley
04-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Your a fucking idiot! ever heard of a team named the mavs, same team that can owns the spurs any day, same team that is gonna go to the finals, same team that's winning the southwest, witch is the division the spurs are in by the way.

I'll put any amount of money you want on the fact that the Mavs are not winning a title this year. They beat us in 2007 because Manu gave the series to them and in 2009 because only Tony was healthy. Grats on beating one of our big 3 while your team was at full strength.

DJB
04-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Ya, because title contenders lose to teams that are contending for the worst record in NBA history.

Manudo Flopo
04-03-2010, 04:56 AM

Kill yourself dumbass...

You wont make it past the first round bitches

polandprzem
04-03-2010, 05:13 AM
hopefully we won't meet Nets in the playoffs

polandprzem
04-03-2010, 05:13 AM
hopefully we won't meet Nets in the playoffs

;wink:

polandprzem
04-03-2010, 05:14 AM
impossible wow

romain.star
04-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Where was this thread after the NJ game? :lol

yep

From one game to another, ST goes from ''Tank this shitty season'' to ''Cavs or Magic? Who would you rather see in the upcoming NBA Finals?''

Funny crazy shit indeed !

urunobili
04-03-2010, 06:15 AM
lol all this happy trigger guys should STFU... especially before playing LA :rolleyes

sonic21
04-03-2010, 06:32 AM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/3/calm-down.jpg

Bukefal
04-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Let's hope so, but we shouldnt cheer to fast :flag:

Thomas82
04-03-2010, 07:19 AM
There would be FIVE huge banners hanging in the T, not just four. :hat

And we would have that elusive repeat that we wanted so badly.

OldSilentHill
04-03-2010, 07:54 AM
In that case:

Dwight is a contender, Magic aren't

Lebron is a contender, Cavs aren't

Kobe is a contender, Lakers aren't

Invalid argument. One person can elevate his team to contender status, and Manu is one of those people.

You have an invalid argument, you canīt compare Spurs without Manu with Cavs without Lebron or so on.

To beat Lebronless we still need Manu, to beat Kobeless we still need Manu, to beat Dwightless we still need Manu. And forget AT&T center, think on the ROAD in the Playoffs.

Think on this argument: SPURS ARE STILL SPURS WITHOUT MANU.

If you disagree with this, then you are right. If you agree, then the Spurs are not contenders.

Anyway, hope Manu plays always :flag:

Danny.Zhu
04-03-2010, 07:58 AM
6th seed contender.

Capt Bringdown
04-03-2010, 08:24 AM
As ragged as the Spurs have been this season, I think they could beat whoever comes out of the Leastern conference.

The problem is, the road to the title goes through LA, and we can't compete with them since the Gasol trade. They flat-out own us, and Pop is obviously intimidated by PJ.

And then there's the Mavericks, another team that we just can't seem to beat in the playoffs.

silverblackfan
04-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Bud coached a good game. I am just glad to have Coach Bud as the backup at this point. The team has been losing a lot of personnel to other teams over the years, so its nice to keep some consistency.
The team is looking good and I was really worried about this Magic team after the last blowup we had. This was a much better played game and obviously, we are in their heads now. Just like I like it.

pjjrfan
04-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I just wish Tony had more games to get ready for the playoffs, as it is now he might play in one maybe 2, if we can somehow survive the 1st round, get Tony in the mix, and have Manu and Tim both playing like they did last night, I like our chances, but experience has taught me that players who are out an extended length of time usually need some time to get their game back.

Tp9gospursgo
04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Bud coached a good game. I am just glad to have Coach Bud as the backup at this point. The team has been losing a lot of personnel to other teams over the years, so its nice to keep some consistency.
The team is looking good and I was really worried about this Magic team after the last blowup we had. This was a much better played game and obviously, we are in their heads now. Just like I like it.

"I'd rather play the game out, rather than just fouling," Howard said. "When we see them again next year, or whenever we see them, it will be a different outcome.
"Just make sure that when we play them again and if they do the same thing, it's going to be a different result. I'm looking forward to it. I told our guys the next time we see these guys we're gotta put it to them." Definitely got in Dwights head :lol

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
i think jester smash is right on we need to be expecting the worse, as it is we got flowing a little late and anything further than a 1st round elimination is great!!!! think about it just a few months ago we felt pretty doomed, so lets not act like irrational maverick fans and lets just take it game by game

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 01:37 PM
but on the same note orlando seems like the deadliest team when playing the spurs (2 me at least) these past few years and im really suprised manu could lift our team that high. so while i have even greater confidence lets not get ahead and act retarted

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
lol all this happy trigger guys should STFU... especially before playing LA :rolleyes

Fuck meekness, and fuck the lakers. This was supposed to be the stretch where SA got exposed as frauds, as squeaking by feeding on subpar NBA squads. Now we notch wins against OKC, Cleveland, @ Boston, and Orlando, and give games away against ATL and l.a., and you're gonna sit there and tell me I'm not supposed to believe this team can knock off any team on any given night? With Manu playing like he is?

With all due respect to your illustrious posting history, you STFU.

Man In Black
04-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I"m trigger happy...

FUCK YEAH! GO SPURS GO. DO WHAT YOU DO AND LET THEM FEEL THE SILVER & BLACK ATTACK!
It's time to be relentless like a motherfucker!

Dr. Gonzo
04-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Do all these people still feel the same way?

mexicanjunior
04-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Do all these people still feel the same way?

Why shouldn't they, 8th seed equals...

http://unconfirmedsources.com/nucleus/media/5/20060627-bush%20mission%20accomplished.jpg

SouthTexasRancher
04-10-2010, 12:38 AM

Yeah but, this damn Spurs team can't beat any of the other playoff teams. Doesn't matter anyway because the Cavs will roll over everyone except Orlando and that should be the NBA Finals. No one else is strong enough to last through each round. Mike Brown will get his own Championship this year.

TampaDude
04-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Yeah but, this damn Spurs team can't beat any of the other playoff teams. Doesn't matter anyway because the Cavs will roll over everyone except Orlando and that should be the NBA Finals. No one else is strong enough to last through each round. Mike Brown will get his own Championship this year.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is gonna stop the Cavs this year. :toast

Mr Bones
04-10-2010, 12:10 PM
The one thing you learn watching sports is that no one is "unbeatable." A few years ago, the experts were calling an undefeated USC football team the greatest college football team ever-- and they lost in the championship game. The undefeated New England Patriots were set to make history, and they lost in the Super Bowl. Golden State beat the Mavs. Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson. The list goes on and on. The Lakers and Cavs are strong, no doubt, but not unbeatable.

MateoNeygro
04-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I love my Spurs and believe in them. I will roll with the Silver and Black until my heart stops but my rational side says The Cavs take it this year. That's who I want to win if the Spurs don't. Fuck The Lakers,Jazz,Mavs,Suns,Portland,Orlando,Boston. I'd be okay with Atlanta, Cavs, OKC IF the Spurs are eliminated.

senorglory
04-10-2010, 11:34 PM
ay yall this niggas name is laka luva cuz he wishes he could of been that girl kobe raped real talk

You should consider changing your screen name to "real talk."

hunterxaz
04-10-2010, 11:42 PM
LOL @ this thread title.