PDA

View Full Version : Manu of 05' Playoffs or Manu of 10' since the All-Star break?

MaNu4Tres
04-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Numbers for the 2005 playoffs (23 games total): in 33.6 MPG

20.8 ppg 5.8 rebounds 4.2 assists on 51% FG and 44% FG from 3

This year since the all-star break (past 23 games): in 31.7 MPG

22.4 ppg 4.4 rebounds 5.7 assists on 49 % FG and 42 % FG from 3

:hat :toast

LoneStarState'sPride
04-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Damn. Closer than I thought.

nkdlunch
04-02-2010, 11:23 PM
pretty damn close. It's gonna be an interesting playoffs for Spurs and a tough one for whoever faces them in the 1st round.

Only scary thing is playoffs still far away. I don't want to wear Manu out.

lefty
04-02-2010, 11:28 PM
The hair is growing back

But seriously, I can see the same agressiveness and confidence

He is in Rogaine mode :hat

Amuseddaysleeper
04-03-2010, 12:55 AM
The thing is you're comparing regular season vs playoff stats and there's always gonna be a big difference in terms of the pressure and level of competition.

If Manu can hit these current averages in the playoffs then you have a very strong argument. Otherwise, '05 Manu is already proven to be his prime because we haven't seen what '10 Manu will be averaging since the playoffs haven't begun yet.

I just pray they can work something out before July 1st.

TDMVPDPOY
04-03-2010, 12:57 AM
his stats will depend on the role parker is willing to accept when he comes back, cause atm we are clicking on all cylinders and everything can return back to pre parker injury and start losing games again

ezau
04-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Parker should come off the bench and he should never fucking complain. If Manu can accept coming off the bench to lead the second unit, he should too. I don't care if he's the best point guard we have. I just don't want to rotation to get fucked up again when comes back. I'm pretty sure TP will even be more effective when comes off the bench

FeZZy
04-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Rogaine!

tothrowed
04-03-2010, 02:31 AM
http://www.yourcelebritystuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/john-travolta-bald.jpg

I DONT GIVE A FUCK IF MANUUS HAIR LOOKED LIKE ^^ THAT MANU iS A BALLA GIVE HIM THE BALL WHEN WE NEED PLAYS

roycrikside
04-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Numbers for the 2005 playoffs (23 games total): in 33.6 MPG

20.8 ppg 5.8 rebounds 4.2 assists on 51% FG and 44% FG from 3

This year since the all-star break (past 23 games): in 31.7 MPG

22.4 ppg 4.4 rebounds 5.7 assists on 49 % FG and 42 % FG from 3

:hat :toast

I think you have to break down those '05 playoffs into three separate levels.

The lowest level is the Finals against the Pistons. I believe Manu played like this for most of the '06, '07, and '08 Playoffs. Very good, occasionally great, but not very consistent, lots of highs and lows. Albeit, that Pistons team was extremely tough competition, so a little leeway is allowed.

Then you have the medium level, which is how he played in the first round against the Denver Nuggets and the third round against the Phoenix Suns. Here he was pretty damn awesome, and I think this is the closest approximation to how he played for that 40-game stretch in 2008 and from last February to present. This is a dominating, top five-or-six player in the NBA level of play.

However, the top level was in the second round against the Seattle Sonics. Manu scored 123 points in 59 shots. Think about that a minute. He averaged more than two points per shot attempt. That is insane. We're not going to see anyone do that again in a playoff series for a long time, especially from a guard. Sure, this Manu shoots way more than that one did, but that guy was a freak of nature, who absolutely owned Ray Allen in their head-to-head match up.

To answer your question, I prefer the current Manu. He can score in more ways, he shoots free throws better, he shoots threes better, he passes a helluva lot better, and he's now the team's first option. '05 Manu passed up way too many shots and was still deferring to Duncan, often to the team's detriment.

I'd rather have Manu's '05 teammates though.

TDMVPDPOY
04-03-2010, 05:35 AM
Parker should come off the bench and he should never fucking complain. If Manu can accept coming off the bench to lead the second unit, he should too. I don't care if he's the best point guard we have. I just don't want to rotation to get fucked up again when comes back. I'm pretty sure TP will even be more effective when comes off the bench

i dont care if parker ballhogs coming off the bench cause thats where the scoring is needed, as for starters no.

stéphane
04-03-2010, 06:39 AM
So if I follow TDMVPDPOY logic, Tony wasn't playing in the 05 playoffs. We can even say that Parker is the sole reason Manu hasn't played at such a high level for a long time right?
That's some tough BS to swallow. For quite some time Manu was either injured or recovering or was setting for Js all night long (I think he was for physical reasons) or just didn't need to take games over ALL by himself.
Manu has been for his whole career (euro times and National team included) one of the most astonishing and incredible complete guard. Sadly his body has suffered playing with such reckless abandon and love for the game. I think that at the moment is as healthy as he's been in years.

stéphane
04-03-2010, 06:51 AM
I think you have to break down those '05 playoffs into three separate levels.

The lowest level is the Finals against the Pistons. I believe Manu played like this for most of the '06, '07, and '08 Playoffs. Very good, occasionally great, but not very consistent, lots of highs and lows. Albeit, that Pistons team was extremely tough competition, so a little leeway is allowed.

Then you have the medium level, which is how he played in the first round against the Denver Nuggets and the third round against the Phoenix Suns. Here he was pretty damn awesome, and I think this is the closest approximation to how he played for that 40-game stretch in 2008 and from last February to present. This is a dominating, top five-or-six player in the NBA level of play.

However, the top level was in the second round against the Seattle Sonics. Manu scored 123 points in 59 shots. Think about that a minute. He averaged more than two points per shot attempt. That is insane. We're not going to see anyone do that again in a playoff series for a long time, especially from a guard. Sure, this Manu shoots way more than that one did, but that guy was a freak of nature, who absolutely owned Ray Allen in their head-to-head match up.

To answer your question, I prefer the current Manu. He can score in more ways, he shoots free throws better, he shoots threes better, he passes a helluva lot better, and he's now the team's first option. '05 Manu passed up way too many shots and was still deferring to Duncan, often to the team's detriment.

I'd rather have Manu's '05 teammates though.

I like your post. Manu level of play depends on his physical condition, what is asked of him.
Right now he's asked to carry the team because we need wins. All of you know despite the bigmouthing at ST that we don't want to play the Fakers in the first round with a hobbled Parker.

Solid D
04-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Although he's lost some lift, Manu is wiser, more experienced and more accomplished at reading NBA defenses than he was in '05.

Bruno
04-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Points per 48 min after the ASG:
1- Amar'e Stoudemire: 37.6
2- Kevin Durant: 36.8
3- LeBron James: 35.6
4- Dwyane Wade: 35.4
5- Manu Ginobili: 34.0

Not bad. :lol

What I like about it is that Pop has also been able to limit Manu's minutes. If you consider the game against NJ as a rest game (Manu could have played it), Manu is playing 30.3mpg after the ASG. If Pop continue to be careful with his minutes, Manu should be fresh for the playoffs.