PDA

View Full Version : MVP chants for Manu tonight...

poop
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
how cool was that? its true, he has single handedly turned this team from a mediocre team essentially at the bottom quarter of the NBA to a team capable of beating Anyone. if thats not a true MVP i dont know what is. scoring, playmaking, leadership and heart, intangibles, this man is as good as they come.

ChumpDumper
04-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Usually, an MVP does that an entire season.

Good for him anyway.

Libri
04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Yup, you could hear the chants from the TV. It must have been amazing to see him play live.

DAF86
04-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Nice gesture, but if you take into consideration the entire season Tim is still the MVP of this season. Imagine where the Spurs would be without Duncan's first half of the season performance.

ElNono
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Manu is doing what Tony did last season... Hopefully we can have all 3 in a good level by season's end

exstatic
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
One thing that occurred to me after the game: Pietrus got knocked down that one time on the three point attempt, missed two of the FT attempts, and TOTALLY disappeared from the game after that. When they started knocking Manu down, he just went at them harder. You can't teach that. You either have it, or you don't.

TDMVPDPOY
04-02-2010, 11:58 PM
missed to many games, wont be in mvp equation...just look at the seasons duncan missed out on mvp where he missed a dozen games or so and puttin up mvp type numbers

ajballer4
04-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Ayyyye I started this chant

poop
04-03-2010, 12:27 AM
i know he wont even be close to getting the MVP in reality, but as spurs fans we have to be able to acknowledge what this guy has done for us, knowing that he will go largely unrecognized in the NBA world. when hes 100% like he is now hes literally as effective a player as wade, kobe, lebron, anyone in the world, and he wont ever be seen as such except by those of us who sees what he does on a daily basis.

ChumpDumper
04-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I believe anyone who watches Sportscenter will know.

poop
04-03-2010, 12:46 AM
bullshit, they will show a 8 second clip and say 'ginobili 43 pts. OOOHHHHH DID YOU SEE LEBRON TONIGHT, 28 POINTS WHAT A GOD HE IS!!!!! AND THE LAKERS!!!!! DWIGHT HOWARD!!!!! DID YOU SEE LEBRON AND THE LAKERS??? DWIGHT HOWARD!!!!!!!

Sean Cagney
04-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Manu is doing what Tony did last season... Hopefully we can have all 3 in a good level by season's end

A FUKKIN MEN!!!!!!! Stop hating on Tony people he did this for us last year too and Tim this first half this year! Gino is on another level right now, but we need all three on a level if we are to compete for anything.
i know he wont even be close to getting the MVP in reality, but as spurs fans we have to be able to acknowledge what this guy has done for us, knowing that he will go largely unrecognized in the NBA world. when hes 100% like he is now hes literally as effective a player as wade, kobe, lebron, anyone in the world, and he wont ever be seen as such except by those of us who sees what he does on a daily basis.

TRUTH.COM!!!!!

Sean Cagney
04-03-2010, 12:58 AM
One thing that occurred to me after the game: Pietrus got knocked down that one time on the three point attempt, missed two of the FT attempts, and TOTALLY disappeared from the game after that. When they started knocking Manu down, he just went at them harder. You can't teach that. You either have it, or you don't.

Yep, you can hit shots all year long and get numbers, but when the pressure is on only the true ones show up and take it to that other level, he is one of THEM!!!!!!!!

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 12:58 AM
bullshit, they will show a 8 second clip and say 'ginobili 43 pts. OOOHHHHH DID YOU SEE LEBRON TONIGHT, 28 POINTS WHAT A GOD HE IS!!!!! AND THE LAKERS!!!!! DWIGHT HOWARD!!!!! DID YOU SEE LEBRON AND THE LAKERS??? DWIGHT HOWARD!!!!!!!

This.

Unfortunately :depressed

jestersmash
04-03-2010, 01:10 AM
I liked ginobili's response to the MVP chants even better. He said he didn't like it and he's not even close to being the MVP, but still feels honored that the fans respect him.

FeZZy
04-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Ayyyye I started this chant

Cool story bro.

tothrowed
04-03-2010, 02:32 AM
did yall see tims face when they started chanting mvp lmao

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 02:56 AM
I liked ginobili's response to the MVP chants even better. He said he didn't like it and he's not even close to being the MVP, but still feels honored that the fans respect him.

The man has absolutely no ego. Even with all he's accomplished, and how little he gets recognized for it, he just plays the game the right way. What the fuck is wrong with NBA fans not holding up guys like him as a role model? Not once have I heard a contrary remark from Manu with regards to his teammates (who often let him down), or his coach (who stripped him of starter status during several of his prime years).

Respect earned.

santymrc
04-03-2010, 03:01 AM
the man has absolutely no ego. Even with all he's accomplished, and how little he gets recognized for it, he just plays the game the right way. What the fuck is wrong with nba fans not holding up guys like him as a role model? Not once have i heard a contrary remark from manu with regards to his teammates (who often let him down), or his coach (who stripped him of starter status during several of his prime years).

Respect earned.

+1

kuato
04-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Any videos of that ? , the match wasn't aired on Argentina :bang

kuato
04-03-2010, 04:02 AM

Calm down, NBA is just a show, Manu is not selling enough posters to be noted by the greedy administration.

Kpowr4ever
04-03-2010, 05:06 AM
The man has absolutely no ego. Even with all he's accomplished, and how little he gets recognized for it, he just plays the game the right way. What the fuck is wrong with NBA fans not holding up guys like him as a role model? Not once have I heard a contrary remark from Manu with regards to his teammates (who often let him down), or his coach (who stripped him of starter status during several of his prime years).

Respect earned.

The thing that ALWAYS impressed me the most about Manu is how he acts like he's been there before. His reaction after he put KG on his ass after that monster block explains it all. He's the epitome of letting the game do the talking.

I hate Jim Rome, but the man gave Manu some major props for this.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=106715036026445&ref=mf

for those facebook users.

Josepatches_
04-03-2010, 05:42 AM

Tony was great but his performance wasn't enough good to be the NBA MVP.Manu is playing very close to Lebron in the last month.

romain.star
04-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Yeah, he's an impressive top 5 NBA player right now !

This guy is just too good when healthy. Can't wait to see him in PO

Manu-of-steel
04-03-2010, 08:57 AM
When TP comes back, we'll be again become a three-headed monster. The playoffs would be very exciting to watch. I won't fear even the lakers. Go spurs!

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 09:23 AM
im happy for manu i know hes not hispanic but he represents for the latinos, and he is "THE WHITE MAMBA" HAHAHAHAHA YEAH I CAME UP WITH THAT CORNY NAME ON MY OWN

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 09:25 AM

:toast

bigbendbruisebrother
04-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Any videos of that ? , the match wasn't aired on Argentina :bang

You ought to sign up for NBA League Pass Broadband. It's $5.99 for the rest of the season, and you could replay the game.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-03-2010, 09:45 AM
While I liked the MVP chant, what they really should have been chanting was EX-TEN-SION, EX-TEN-SION!

My favorite thing about that game was the AT&T rocking to, "JAFFE SUCKS! JAFFE SUCKS!" It was good to hear our fans get rabid again. They've been so staid for the last couple of seasons.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-03-2010, 09:49 AM
When TP comes back, we'll be again become a three-headed monster. The playoffs would be very exciting to watch. I won't fear even the lakers. Go spurs!

When Tony comes back, I hope he comes off the bench. We need Tim and Manu on the floor together.

ohmwrecker
04-03-2010, 09:58 AM
If the MVP voting was based solely on post-all-star break performance, then Manu would be a lock.

jestersmash
04-03-2010, 11:31 AM
While I liked the MVP chant, what they really should have been chanting was EX-TEN-SION, EX-TEN-SION!

My favorite thing about that game was the AT&T rocking to, "JAFFE SUCKS! JAFFE SUCKS!" It was good to hear our fans get rabid again. They've been so staid for the last couple of seasons.

Were they saying Jaffe sucks or "referees suck" I thought it was the latter.

Extension would've been a much better chant, I agree.

DPG21920
04-03-2010, 11:46 AM
It is very easy to see why Manu has endeared himself to Spurs fans. He is the type of player that every coach would choose to have by his side.

Mel_13
04-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Were they saying Jaffe sucks or "referees suck" I thought it was the latter.

Extension would've been a much better chant, I agree.

It was "Ref you suck"

Mel_13
04-03-2010, 12:00 PM
It is very easy to see why Manu has endeared himself to Spurs fans. He is the type of player that every coach would choose to have by his side.

Manu's connection with the ticket-buying portion of the fanbase is not discussed much, but it does give him significant additional leverage.

For any NBA team, a great percentage of revenue is from the national TV contracts and other NBA-level payments that are not affected by the team's performance. The great variable is gameday revenue from ticket sales, concessions, and parking.

Manu puts fans in the seats. For that portion of the fanbase that buys tickets, keeping Manu makes a difference. I know of season-ticket holders who will not renew if Manu does not return.

I'm sure the FO has some estimate of the revenue costs associated with not signing Manu. That cost is rising with each game.

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 12:03 PM
mel_13 youre right, do you think they try and downplay his connection to ticket sales?? anyhow when i get my 6throw seats hes fantastic to watch i mean you cant take your eyes off him!!! wow that was gay

DPG21920
04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I was speaking more from a personal point of view. When you play sports or follow them closely, you appreciate the Manu's more than anyone. If I had to choose someone to play one game with, it would be the "Manu type".

It is not that he is the best player, although he is great. It is more that he is a rare combination of talent, heart, hustle and selflessness. He is easily one of my favorite players to ever lace them up and I am glad that he is a Spur.

I agree with your point, and I am sure that Pop and the FO are thinking about that too. The sad truth is, that as great as Manu is playing and as much as you can tell everyone around him loves him, he is still a risk.

Spurs pretty much have to sign him in order to compete, but it will depend on the offers he will get. There is much debate about that from the Spurs p.o.v. and from the other teams in the league.

Mel_13
04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
mel_13 youre right, do you think they try and downplay his connection to ticket sales??

His image and name feature prominently in all advertisements and promotions for season-ticket renewals and new sales for next season. So they are still aggressively selling Manu to the ticket-buying public as a reason to buy tickets for 2010-11.

Mel_13
04-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I was speaking more from a personal point of view. When you play sports or follow them closely, you appreciate the Manu's more than anyone. If I had to choose someone to play one game with, it would be the "Manu type".

It is not that he is the best player, although he is great. It is more that he a rare combination of talent, heart, hustle and selflessness. He is easily one of my favorite players to ever lace them up and I am glad that he is a Spur.

I agree with your point, and I am sure that Pop and the FO are thinking about that too. The sad truth is, that as great as Manu is playing and as much as you can tell everyone around him loves him, he is still a risk.

Spurs pretty much have to sign him in order to compete, but it will depend on the offers he will get. There is much debate about that from the Spurs p.o.v. and from the other teams in the league.

I know where you were going, just added a little to it.

I'd guess that I've seen him play around 250 times now and the simple fact is that games without Manu are not nearly as much fun to watch. He routinely does things that are worth the price of admission. I hope they can work things out and extend him thru 2012 so he can go out with Tim.

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 01:09 PM
His image and name feature prominently in all advertisements and promotions for season-ticket renewals and new sales for next season. So they are still aggressively selling Manu to the ticket-buying public as a reason to buy tickets for 2010-11.

i guess your right, but you never hear them actually say it so how in the hell do people think this org. is going to let him go??? when you think of s.a being mostly hispanic, and manu being their fav player, (parker for the latinas haha) they really cant afford to let him go, and lose all that experience with the system? no way!. my Ma's good friend (surgeon) lives next door to manu, and i mean right next door and he(manu) always drops lil hints at him when FA is coming around like that last time he signed with us i knew way before he wasnt going anywhere. so ill have to check with him and see what s going on in manu world

diego
04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
he is still a risk.

when/who isnt?

with the cba teams have even more imperative to make savvy deals and spend as little as possible (beyond saving money). but i'm pretty sure they could have locked up manu cheaper at the start of the season than what they will have to pay now. I expect manu to re-sign, and for several posters to moan about the price tag.

spurs10
04-03-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't think he likes the chanting when he's shooting free throws....and yes, he puts butts in the seats......I know I wouldn't want to negotiate a contract with him...Manu holds all the cards.

kuato
04-03-2010, 06:41 PM
You ought to sign up for NBA League Pass Broadband. It's $5.99 for the rest of the season, and you could replay the game.

Where do you get NBA league pass that cheap ? , the price showed on the registration page is $99.95 and $69.95

silverblk mystix
04-03-2010, 07:07 PM
let laker and cavs fans worry about shit like MVP

that is NOT what the spurs are about

tim_duncan_fan
04-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Manu's been great lately but I still think everything comes back to old Timothy.

We're going nowhere if he can't bring his twenty and ten back.

DMX7
04-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Good thing Jeff Van Gundy didn't hear this comment.

But anyway, Didn't Kobe once have a steak of like 10+ 40-point games where he was also a beast on defense and he still didn't win the MVP?