PDA

View Full Version : Do Spurs Fans Hate Avery Johnson?

BanditHiro
04-03-2010, 01:03 AM
??????

TIMMYD!
04-03-2010, 01:05 AM
As the Mavericks coach, fuck him.

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2010, 01:07 AM
I do. I've never liked him. Not even when he was on the team. I remember one day back in 1995 a friend and I were watching a game and I said, "You know, fuck Avery Johnson. I don't like him." Every since then I've been like, "Fuck Avery Johnson."

Sean Cagney
04-03-2010, 01:09 AM
He hit the game winning shot in 99, after his playoffs that year hitting open shots he is aiight with me. He is not great nor never was, he beat us in 06 as a coach and turned to the other side, but that was his job so f it he is OKAY with me at best.

LakerHater
04-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah Ive never really liked him, even as a Spurs player!

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2010, 01:21 AM
I just never liked the way he talked.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 01:29 AM
I've always liked AJ, especially the attitude he brought to the game. He was never the best on the floor, but he had a command presence about him that helped lay the foundation for SA to believe it was good enough to win.

xellos88330
04-03-2010, 01:41 AM
GO LIPS!!! As my late uncle used to say. :D

santymrc
04-03-2010, 01:51 AM
He's annoying... But i don't have a problem with him.

FeZZy
04-03-2010, 01:55 AM
nah...

Ditty
04-03-2010, 01:55 AM
I hated him when he was a player and coach for the mavs

i still havent forgave him but he would be dumb for not taking that job

I think i remember reading or hearing somewhere during the whole spurs mavs rivalry that avery said that if he could back in time in 1999 he would have missed that shot that won us the finals

dont know if true or not but I dont really care for him anymore and they should of retired his jersey after he got fired from the mavs

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 02:02 AM
I think i remember reading or hearing somewhere during the whole spurs mavs rivalry that avery said that if he could back in time in 1999 he would have missed that shot that won us the finals

I'd be interested to see your source for that. I'm thinking that's some bullshit right there.

santymrc
04-03-2010, 02:10 AM
I'd be interested to see your source for that. I'm thinking that's some bullshit right there.

Yep, I thought the same thing.

Manu-of-steel
04-03-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't hate him, but he's cocky, unlike other spurs players.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Yes. Of course, if Manu doesn't get an extension and retire in San Antonio, my Spurs fan years are over anyway.

BillMc
04-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Avery's intense and likes to win. Glad he was a Spur.

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 09:36 AM
i sure as hell do

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 09:38 AM

dont be fooled man avery was cut throat evil when he was with the mavs, the guy has alot of hatred for pop i think

ohmwrecker
I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when he took the Mavs job, but I can't hate a brother for getting a job. Avery was not a really talented player, but he was a a vocal leader and ran Pop's system as well as anyone. You gotta love AJ, man. Everyone who played with him loves the guy. That's good enough for me.

Dr. Gonzo
Yes. Of course, if Manu doesn't get an extension and retire in San Antonio, my Spurs fan years are over anyway.

You aren't much of a fan then.

samikeyp
04-03-2010, 09:39 AM
A lot of Spurs fans loved AJ until he became the coach in Dallas. I think if he would have coached almost anywhere else, there wouldn't have been as much of a backlasn.

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 09:40 AM
i hope you read this avery!!! u sucked as a basketball player, yes you were the floor general, and reminded us of that bad ass supervisor who knew exactly what to do but couldnt do a damn thing himself thats you, you sucked!!!!, you worthless athlete

TampaDude
04-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Can't hate on AJ...he nailed the shot that gave us our first :lobt2:

scottspurs
04-03-2010, 10:29 AM
The Little General was one of my favorite players. Someone who will talk is something the Spurs are missing now. Not the most important thing though.

ploto
04-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I was never an AJ fan but I don't hate him, especially not for accepting a head coaching job in the NBA. I think that this is another example of fans taking sides of ownership when the Spurs did not even keep him as a player, but he is somehow not supposed to coach the Mavericks out of loyalty to the Spurs.

ulosturedge
04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Nope. He was like Bruce Bowen in the fact that he knew where his strengths were and used that to make a big impact on the floor. I have nothing but respect for guys like that. Going from being close to never amounting to anything in the NBA to using the talents they did have to the best of their ability. And I don't know how you fault the guy for trying to continue his career in basketball by getting into coaching. I actually took some pride in seeing him flourish in Dallas. It just made our organization look better. How big is the list now? AJ, Mike Brown, Danny Ferry, Steve kerr, Doc Rivers.. Not that all these guys were career Spurs players, but they were all snatched up shortly after they came through San Antonio. That's a compliment in itself to this Spurs organization.

lennyalderette
04-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Nope. He was like Bruce Bowen in the fact that he knew where his strengths were and used that to make a big impact on the floor. I have nothing but respect for guys like that. Going from being close to never amounting to anything in the NBA to using the talents they did have to the best of their ability. And I don't know how you fault the guy for trying to continue his career in basketball by getting into coaching. I actually took some pride in seeing him flourish in Dallas. It just made our organization look better. How big is the list now? AJ, Mike Brown, Danny Ferry, Steve kerr, Doc Rivers.. Not that all these guys were career Spurs players, but they were all snatched up shortly after they came through San Antonio. That's a compliment in itself to this Spurs organization.
really doc rivers????

benefactor
04-03-2010, 11:34 AM
You should just leave now and save yourself the suspense.

Mark in Austin
04-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I've never had anything against AJ the player, or AJ the coach. What I think would be a mistake is AJ coaching the Spurs.

His natural fit coaching after Dallas was Detroit. Dumars blew it by not hiring him. I think his next gig will be with New Orleans - Paul is intense too, they should do well together as long as he gives Paul enough freedom.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 12:17 PM
How many times have posters in here bellyached about "Tim needs to be more vocal," or "Manu has to get on his teammates more when they screw up"? You know what? AJ WAS that type of leader. Between his and Mario Elie's attitudes in '99, they changed the Spurs from a perennial soft also-ran who could be depended on to fold when things got tough, to a team that almost defied other teams to beat them. I think it's telling that of all the Spurs' title runs, the '99 one still stands as the greatest postseason performance of them all, with a 15-2 record.

silverblackfan
04-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I always liked AJ and don't hate on him for taking a coaching job at Dallas. Did a good job too until they kicked him out. Their loss, IMO.
I always liked his spunk and the way he kept the team communicating. I also liked how David and him kept the team with the right attitude.
Do I want him to coach the Spurs someday? I don't know. Mixed feelings on this for some reason I can't put my finger on.

nadroj117
04-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Can't hate on AJ...he nailed the shot that gave us our first :lobt2:

I love AJ, and respect him as the floor general he was. I'm amazed at how much credit he gets for hitting that one shot. We won the series 4-1 and if he misses that there is no doubt we still win the championship. The credit he gets is as if it was a game winner in game 7 of the finals. Not in game 5 where we dominated the first 4 games, yes even the one we lost. Anyone watching the game we lost knows the league needed to extend the series and was a terribly officiated game. I love AJ and always will, just don't feel like he deserves some crazy credit for bringing us our first :lobt2:

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 12:32 PM
He had a ridiculous winning percentage in Dallas while he was there (around 67-70%), and did what Nellie's teams couldn't--beat SA in a 7 game series. Can't blame a man for accepting a job and doing his best at it. If you honestly believe he hates Pop or the Spurs, though, you're mistaken.

alamo50
04-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Real Spurs fans never disslike former silver and black represtentatives.......related to basketball.

baseline bum
04-03-2010, 01:01 PM
The Little General is easily on of my favorite Spurs players of all time. He came to the team an NBDL talent and worked his way up to being an above-average starting PG. I'll never forget him outplaying the trio of Kidd/KJ/Nash in the 98 playoffs, the way he abused Brandon in 99, or the way he outplayed Stoudamire in those WCF after the nasty things Damon said about him.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 02:14 PM
the way he outplayed Stoudamire in those WCF after the nasty things Damon said about him.

Man, I remember that--he handled that with such class. I was pissed at Damon for that--never was comfortable seeing him in a Spurs uni, even if it was for only part of a season.

whottt
04-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't hate Avery Johnson, I just hate that he didn't have a jump shot which made every guys job on the team harder, didn't get to the FT line in lieu of having a J, that he became cancerous his final years with the team, talked shit about Parker and Manu, is the most over-rated player by fans in the history of this team, and had his jersey retired.

If he hadn't turned cancerous, talked shit, and gotten his jersey retired I probably would have a better opinion of him. Although I still would have thought he was more of a liability than a leader.

He's stopped talking shit now so that makes it a little easier to handle his jersey being retired but it still doesn't mean his jersey deserved to be retired.

I do think it's funny that one of the first things AJ did as coach of the Mavs was alienate Michael Finley...as they are two very similar players in that some people just like them and think they are these heart and soul type players when they really aren't.,,...they're really liabilities. IF you can't get anyone better(as was the case with both of them in their heart and soul eras) I understand that...I don't understand retiring their jerseys because of it.

FWIW, I did like it when he made Stoudemire eat his words.

vander
04-03-2010, 03:42 PM
with that voice, he has no business doing TV. and Bowen's is even worse :lol I can't tolerate even 5 seconds of Bowen, with Avery I can go about a minute before the novelty wears off

FatBeaner
04-03-2010, 04:01 PM
no AJ, means no Ellie & no championship 99...

ain't no reason to hate...mavs coach or not,

brutha gotta make his money when he can.

pjjrfan
04-03-2010, 04:39 PM
not this fan. AJ was one of the guys along with Tim, David and Sean who laid the foundation for the Spurs right way of playing.