PDA

View Full Version : Blog on the Refs.

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/blog?name=player_x&id=5046968

"I was asked the other day what I think of the referees this season. My answer: I hate the referees.

I was only kidding, kind of.

Lately, the refs have treated me and my teammates OK, but there was a point earlier this season when they were acting like they were bigger than the game. Joey Crawford, especially. That guy. You can't even ask him a question; he won't even look at you. Did you see what happened a few years ago when he challenged Tim Duncan, of all people, to a fight during a game? Ridiculous. The guy is a hothead, and players around the league know that whenever he refs a game there is gonna be some drama. More foul calls, more technicals, more delays. If you're watching a game and see Joey Crawford as one of the refs, expect controversy. It's a shame but it's true.

I always say that you can tell the difference between a young ref and a veteran guy. Generally speaking, players like young refs better because they don't tend to favor coaches or individual players, they just call the game as they see it. The problem is they are constantly being overruled by older refs. They'll make the right call and then an older ref will come running in and say, "Are you sure that's the right call?" Then the young guy will be like, "Well, what did you see?" They don't want to show the older guy up so they defer to him, and he's most likely biased. That's right, you'd think that the veteran referees would be more mature and balanced about their calls, but really they just carry more baggage onto the court.

Of course, the refs, young and old, are always getting worked over during the game by players and coaches. We played Charlotte earlier this season and Larry Brown completely controlled the whistle. The same thing happens with Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson and George Karl -- they're considered the greatest coaches in the league so it's easy for them to get the refs to do their bidding. I guess it's no surprise that refs favor winners. Let's say you're a great team and you're on a fast break and someone fouls you. A ref won't call it right away, he'll let you dunk, then call the foul so you get the three-point play. But if you're on a bad team they'll call a ticky-tack foul right away. No dunk for you.

Me, I always try to chat up the younger refs during the game. I'm a pretty calm guy, so I usually start with "Excuse me, sir. Can you explain to me what just happened?" Then I'll ask him to check the call at halftime because I think he missed it. My favorite response -- and this is what they usually say -- is, "That wasn't my call. Ask him." I get that a lot. Maybe I'm not one of the refs' favorites like some guys in the league. For instance, Kevin Durant has impressed me with his ability to get a whistle at such a young age. He had 15 free throws the other night! LeBron always gets calls, obviously. Kobe gets fewer than you'd think because he travels all the time. But the guy who gets the most calls by far is Dwyane Wade, even though he carries the ball a lot and is always falling down. The refs like his personality, I guess. He never met a ref he didn't like.

Chris Paul gets away with the most talking. There have been times when I've seen him curse a ref out like, "What the f--- are you looking at you ---hole?! Learn how to call a f------ game!!" The ref will be like, "My bad, I'll get you next time." What?!! If that had been me I'd have been T'd up and thrown out. You can't curse at a ref without getting a technical or at least a stern warning. Unless you're Chris Paul, who can say whatever he wants. "

lurker
04-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Any guesses as to who "NBA player X" is?

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Dirk Nowitzki and Rasheed Wallace come to mind. Who knows though.

BRHornet45
04-03-2010, 01:35 PM
"Chris Paul gets away with the most talking. There have been times when I've seen him curse a ref out like, "What the f--- are you looking at you ---hole?! Learn how to call a f------ game!!" The ref will be like, "My bad, I'll get you next time." What?!! If that had been me I'd have been T'd up and thrown out. You can't curse at a ref without getting a technical or at least a stern warning. Unless you're Chris Paul, who can say whatever he wants. "

lmao I love CP3 sons

TIMMYD!
04-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Dirk Nowitzki and Rasheed Wallace come to mind. Who knows though.

I don't think it's a star, if anything it's probably a bench player.

badfish22
04-03-2010, 02:00 PM
"Chris Paul gets away with the most talking. There have been times when I've seen him curse a ref out like, "What the f--- are you looking at you ---hole?! Learn how to call a f------ game!!" The ref will be like, "My bad, I'll get you next time." What?!! If that had been me I'd have been T'd up and thrown out. You can't curse at a ref without getting a technical or at least a stern warning. Unless you're Chris Paul, who can say whatever he wants. "

lmao I love CP3 sons

I bet you would, that league created piece of shit star seems right for you.

spursfan09
04-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't think its Dirk. He's too classy.

TP frankness comes to mind though lol

badfish22
04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
If its anyone of the Mavs, I think it would be JET or Butler.

Muser
04-03-2010, 02:09 PM
It's not Sheed, he wouldn't care about his name being on it.

BRHornet45
04-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I bet you would, that league created piece of shit star seems right for you.

LMAO!!! this coming from someone who is a fan of DIRK??? ... a guy who has been pushed to the top by the league simply because of his skin color!

Cane
04-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Probably from a scrub NBA player that tweets or blogs a lot.

DPG21920
04-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Get that CP3 Superstar treatment out of my league!

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 03:24 PM
LMAO!!! this coming from someone who is a fan of DIRK??? ... a guy who has been pushed to the top by the league simply because of his skin color!
It's the other way around. Dirk gets less respect due to the common idea of Europeans are soft. Dirk is one of the least respected stars in the league by the refs.

HarlemHeat37
04-03-2010, 03:25 PM
It's the other way around. Dirk gets less respect due to the common idea of Europeans are soft. Dirk is one of the least respected stars in the league by the refs.

:lol

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 03:29 PM
:lol
How can you guard a 7 footer with unlimited range and moves very well? You put 2 hands on him. The rulebook says you can only put 1 hand on him. D Whistle though you can't touch.

BRHornet45
04-03-2010, 05:35 PM
How can you guard a 7 footer with unlimited range and moves very well? You put 2 hands on him. The rulebook says you can only put 1 hand on him. D Whistle though you can't touch.

well son if Dirk ever learned how to develop a post game like a real big man then maybe people would respect him. the dude takes the easy way out and relies on "shooting guard" jump shots, 3's, and the refs putting him at the free throw line in order to score. if his shot is off and the refs don't help him at the line, he is absolutely screwed. so pathetic for a 7 footer.

vander
04-03-2010, 05:58 PM
NBA's got to do something about the refereeing...

these days, it seems about every other possession is tainted by calls or non-calls . and one overacted "moving screen" or "charge" can really change a game.

maybe offensive fouls should become violations, a moving screen and a charge could just be a turnover. and then they start calling them more, along with traveling. no more traveling, no more offensive players creating the contact etc. that way you don't foul a guy like DWade out, he just turns the ball over when he lurched at the defender looking for the cheap foul.

Or the NBA could just crack down really hard on refs based on film review of each game, refs should get minimum wage for the game's they work and make the bulk of their income on incentives.

or the NBA could outsource refereeing to at least two competing firms, perhaps awarding the playoffs to the one that proves to be better.

but SOMETHING needs to be done, I almost can't watch this shit anymore

BRHornet45
04-03-2010, 06:01 PM
sons many of you laugh at my rule of completely eliminating ALL free throws from the game (other than for technical fouls and air balls) but trust me, it would make the game better and more importantly ... cleaner.

vander
04-03-2010, 06:03 PM
sons many of you laugh at my rule of completely eliminating ALL free throws from the game (other than for technical fouls and air balls) but trust me, it would make the game better and more importantly ... cleaner.

yeah, the more I think about that, the more I like it, make DWade just keep falling down over and over to no avail :lol

Darthkiller
04-03-2010, 06:05 PM
it's probably deron williams

Basketballgirl25
04-03-2010, 06:57 PM
I say it's CDR talking or JET

Ghazi
04-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Eliminate FT's eh? So what happens when a teams down 1, other team has the ball, and theres 24 seconds left? They just lose the game?

CROFL flawed logic

CROFL 121-63

CROFL CP3's knees.

WESTACKED
04-03-2010, 07:11 PM
It's nothing associated to European prejudice IMO. It's fair to say Dirk's fame of being soft is due partially, if not mainly, to the style he's been playing since his rookie season. What always happens is Dirk wimps off the thronged zone and makes a fade-away shot in front of a guy he's 4-5 inches taller than, without any body charge being made.

alchemist
04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Won't ever happen but it's a great idea.