PDA

View Full Version : The Mavericks keep winning, year after year

duncan228
04-03-2010, 03:34 PM
The Mavericks keep winning, year after year (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-Mavericks-keep-winning-year-after-year;_ylt=ApzxqrQloKY41JVMDfsmb7q8vLYF?urn=nba,231 861)
By Kelly Dwyer
Ball Don't Lie

If you're a bit younger - or if you're in a bit of debt and decided to fake a runaway Prius crash and boinked your head - you might not remember how bad the Dallas Mavericks used to be.

Truly, embarrassingly, bad. The Mavs were kind of good in the mid-to-late 1980s and that was about it. Otherwise, you had an expansion team that was around for about two decades. Just about every year the team came through with a miserable season.

We're in 2010, however, and the Mavs' prism has twirled a bit. On Wednesday, they won their 50th game of the season, and that's the 10th time in a row they've done that. And that's a streak worth commending.

Especially when you consider what came before it.

In early 2000, when Mark Cuban's purchase of the Mavs became official, this franchise was just about the league's worst non-Clipper laughingstock. If you don't like me qualifying that with a Clipper reference, also understand the context back in those days included a couple of Clipper playoff appearances in the 1990s while the Mavericks stayed home.

And it wasn't just consistently sub-postseason play. The Mavs threatened the 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers' record for futility back in 1992-93, finishing with 11 wins. The team watched as Jimmy Jackson sat out most of that season in a contract dispute, though the miserable record allowed the Mavs to draft Jamal Mashburn. A miserable record in Mash's rookie year allowed them to draft Jason Kidd. And a series of player-first, coach-second moves allowed for Quinn Buckner (trying to implement a version of the triangle offense, not bad) and Dick Motta (trying to take advantage of the tiny 22-foot 3-point line ahead of his time) to be shuffled aside because the brats were panicky.

Then Jim Cleamons was hired, right out of Phil Jackson's staff, and he tried a version of the triangle as well. Chortle all you want at attempting to implement a five-man offense with Jason Kidd on the team, but the Mavs also decided to trade Kidd for Michael Finley and Sam Cassell in Cleamons' first year, a move that should have locked-in Dallas' backcourt for a decade. Of course, the biggest reason behind the deal had to do with Kidd and Jim Jackson fighting over Toni Braxton's hand, but let's not get too far into that.

Cleamons got a half season, kind of, and a few weeks with the team before Ross Perot Jr. - the team's newish owner - decided to hire Don Nelson as personnel boss. Because Nellie loves office life. And Nellie gave Cleamons a month and a half with Cassell and Finley before launching a ridiculous nine-player trade, "landing" the Mavs Shawn Bradley, Robert Pack, Ed O'Bannon and Khalid Reeves for Jackson, Cassell, Chris Gatling (an All-Star that year), Eric Montross and George McCloud.

Because Nellie really liked Bradley. And he wanted to coach again.

So Nellie spent the next 10 months jerking the Mavs around, drafting Chris Antsey and declaring him a star in the making, undermining Cleamons at every turn before shrugging his shoulders and firing him in December of 1997. Cleamons' raw deal (man, I wish I had a link for that line. RIP, OnHoops.com) was one of the initial public forays into the world of (prick)ishness that we've come to associate with Don Nelson.

So Nellie built his team around Bradley, and the team was awful. Just terrible. And it was the latest in more lottery-bound Mav-ness. Of course, this time around, Nelson took a huge chance and traded for Dirk Nowitzki with his lottery pick. Then he traded a future pick (that turned into Shawn Marion) for Steve Nash, who had to deal with more trade rumors than anyone else in the league back then, save for Mitch Richmond.

And the Mavs stunk the next year, the lockout year, mainly because Dirk was too young and Nash was hurt too badly. Achilles and back issues. And Nash (hurt, still) wasn't all that great in 1999-00, when the Mavericks missed the playoffs again. The last time they missed the playoffs. With Nash struggling, the new owner (Mark Cuban) actually announced a bit of a training-camp battle for the starting spot between the future two-time MVP and Howard Eisley.

If I can pat myself on the back, I seemed to be the only guy talking up how ridiculous that was, but it's something to remember when people credit Nellie and Cuban for finding Nash in the rubble. Of course, Nash got healthy that year, Eisley was Howard Eisley, the Mavs won 53 games, made it to the second round, Steve ended up on the Letterman show before the season was through, and the streak is still rolling. Dirk's still nailing jumpers.

It's a huge accomplishment, and I don't want to hear anything about championship failure. Basketball is a matchup sport, and the Mavs got bum breaks with matchups in 2006 and 2007. That's how it goes.

But to consider a decade's worth of 50-win teams? Especially coming after a decade that saw the Mavericks - quite literally (and pro-rated, for the lockout season) -- average half as many wins per season?

This is a huge deal. And the two men who were around for it all, Dirk Nowitzki and Mark Cuban, deserve all the credit you can toss their way.

It's still a bit odd, growing up with what I grew up with, to consider the Dallas Mavericks one of the standard-bearers for NBA excellence. But it's a well-earned honor.

Now let's see what we can do about the playoffs, mmmkay?

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Regular Season Champions!!! Boorahhh!!!

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah the playoffs are a different story. The Mavs know that pretty well.

badfish22
04-03-2010, 03:39 PM
:lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

HarlemHeat37
04-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I have no comment here, too easy..this one is going to be flooded with trolling, be ready..

*insert choking jokes*..

mavs>spurs2
04-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah the playoffs are a different story. The Mavs know that pretty well.

shut the fuck up or die

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I have no comment here, too easy..this one is going to be flooded with trolling, be ready..

*insert choking jokes*..
Maybe. We'll see. Mavs fans know that regular season success can only go so far. Playoffs are treated differently. I'd say the best way to show regular season success through playoffs is all the games on TNT and ESPN. Team really don't want to be embarrassed on those games.

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 03:42 PM
shut the fuck up or die
Kill me. I don't care.

z0sa
04-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Underachiever of the Decade just keeps winning.

Staff Sgt. Dignam
04-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Kill me. I don't care.
How about you just voluntarily kill yourself? You'd be doing the world a favor, you lace curtain irish fucking pussy.

mavs>spurs2
04-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Kill me. I don't care.

lol emo over the mavs playoff suckage

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 03:48 PM
lol emo over the mavs playoff suckage
You said it. Not I. The mavs know that winning 60+ games doesn't help you in the playoffs. It really comes down to which players are more respected by the veteran refs though. Unfortunately, we aren't due to our softness reputation.

j.dizzle
04-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Sons, dont any of you watch the news?..Stop bullying each other hahahaha

dirk4mvp
04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
You said it. Not I. The mavs know that winning 60+ games doesn't help you in the playoffs. It really comes down to which players are more respected by the veteran refs though. Unfortunately, we aren't due to our softness reputation.

Not every team can be crominant like the 90's Bulls, fagle. Is there a reason you consider yourself a fan of this fine franchise?

mavs>spurs2
04-03-2010, 03:54 PM

i said it because you asked someone to kill you and said that you don't care

lol losing the will to live over the mavs

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Cripple fight!!!!!!

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Not every team can be crominant like the 90's Bulls, fagle. Is there a reason you consider yourself a fan of this fine franchise?
I'm a fan because I like the players. Unfortunately, the veteran refs don't. They are the ones to decide this. In the regular season, you get refs that are young and unbiased. Dallas benefits from this most nights. Also there is less breaks in action and that helps running teams like the mavs. The playoffs slow things down and the refs favor certain superstars and teams. Dallas is not one of those teams.

alchemist
Underachiever of the Decade just keeps winning.
:lmao

mavs>spurs2
Cripple fight!!!!!!

we all know it's a fight for you to get up out of the wheelchair and walk, fagle

dirk4mvp
04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm a fan because I like the players. Unfortunately, the veteran refs don't. They are the ones to decide this. In the regular season, you get refs that are young and unbiased. Dallas benefits from this most nights. Also there is less breaks in action and that helps running teams like the mavs. The playoffs slow things down and the refs favor certain superstars and teams. Dallas is not one of those teams.

Certainly different than from your days a Bulls dynasty fan isn't it?

mavs>spurs2
04-03-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm a fan because I like the players.

the entire roster has changed since you became a fan except for dirk. so basically you're a dirk groupie and will find another team to bandwagon a year or so after he retires. gotcha ;)

mavsfan1000
i said it because you asked someone to kill you and said that you don't care

lol losing the will to live over the mavs
I said it because I would actually like to see you come over so I can put you away if you are for real. I guess you are just annoyed though and not serious. And what is your point to start with? No one dare say a bad thing about the mavs?

D-Wade #3
we all know it's a fight for you to get up out of the wheelchair and walk, fagle

Address me as Sir, since I own anything related to the Mavs, and the Mavs themselves

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 03:58 PM
mavsfan1000 the most decent mavfan on here

dirk4mvp
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Address me as Sir, since I own anything related to the Mavs, and the Mavs themselves

cool troll brah

panic giraffe
not saying this isn't true regarding the mavs.............

but

kelly dwyer is the worst writer on yahoo. all of his articles fucking suck, plus he still always lists Timmy as a center for some stupid fucking reason. dude is probably just a friend of JE Skeets over at yahoo and got the job.

mavs>spurs2

i'll address you as the guy who's about to only half half of his previous assets.

shoulda signed a prenup asshole! sorry senor :lmao

mavs>spurs2
04-03-2010, 04:00 PM
I said it because I would actually like to see you come over so I can put you away if you are for real. I guess you are just annoyed though and not serious. And what is your point to start with? No one dare say a bad thing about the mavs?

how would you put me away if you were dead, emo boy? is your brain too stupid that you can't even get that?

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 04:01 PM
the entire roster has changed since you became a fan except for dirk. so basically you're a dirk groupie and will find another team to bandwagon a year or so after he retires. gotcha ;)
Nope. Dirk is no MJ. And m favorite Mavs player is now Beaubois. He'll be here for many years.

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 04:01 PM
how would you put me away if you were dead, emo boy? is your brain too stupid that you can't even get that?
Your the idiot that said that you would kill me. lol Internet toughguy.

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 04:02 PM
i'll address you as the guy who's about to only half half of his previous assets.

cdZdUVOKVuA

mavs>spurs2
Nope. Dirk is no MJ. And m favorite Mavs player is now Beaubois. He'll be here for many years.

lol being a fan of certain players instead of the actual team.

so one of these days when there happens to not be a maverick who tickles your tee tee, you're gonna jump ship again. cool bro

mavs>spurs2
Your the idiot that said that you would kill me. lol Internet toughguy.

lol too stupid to comprehend sarcasm.

mavs>spurs2
04-03-2010, 04:03 PM
cdZdUVOKVuA

times 1/2

Basketballgirl25
04-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Dirk as a lot of groupie fans, Mavs will prob lose a lot of fans when he retires or if something werid happens and Mavs decided to trade him. Those are the types of fans I hate:lol, any Mav fan who was a fan before Dirk I respect I whole lot more:toast

badfish22
plus he still always lists Timmy as a center for some stupid fucking reason.

lol

mavsfan1000
lol too stupid to comprehend sarcasm.
Yes you are. Now go back to your sucking mavs ass and leave the more honest mavs fans alone.

mavs>spurs2
04-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Dirk as a lot of groupie fans, Mavs will prob lose a lot of fans when he retires or if something werid happens and Mavs decided to trade him. Those are the types of fans I hate:lol, any Mav fan who was a fan before Dirk I respect I whole lot more:toast

yup tbh thats why I > mavsfan1000

damn brah, even she's crominating your shitty ass :lmao

ehz33satx
04-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Mavs will beat you senseless during the regular season, but roll over and be your b*tch during the playoffs. And before some of you Mavs fans pipe up about your beloved Mavs owning the Spurs, try beating them when they are at full strength.
Decades from now, the San Antonio Spurs will be remember as one of the greatest of ALL sports franchises, with multiple championships. The Dallas Mavericks were a good team, but just can't ever seem to seal the deal when it counts. They peter out. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Little brother jealous of big brother down south. Good but not great.

dirk4mvp
04-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Mavs will beat you senseless during the regular season, but roll over and be your b*tch during the playoffs. And before some of you Mavs fans pipe up about your beloved Mavs owning the Spurs, try beating them when they are at full strength.
Decades from now, the San Antonio Spurs will be remember as one of the greatest of ALL sports franchises, with multiple championships. The Dallas Mavericks were a good team, but just can't ever seem to seal the deal when it counts. They peter out. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Little brother jealous of big brother down south. Good but not great.

Does it hurt to be this stupid?

mavs>spurs2
04-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Yes you are. Now go back to your sucking mavs ass and leave the more honest mavs fans alone.

you're the one thinking i actually want to kill you

lol you want to talk about honest fans, i've been a fan since i was 10 years old, before anyone knew who dirk nowitzki was, back when the mavs were the laughing stock of the league. I don't think we're winning a ship this year, and I always call it like i see it, no homerism here. but you talk shit just for the sake of it. was a comment about the mavs never winning it all really even needed? bull troll

ehz33satx
04-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Please, do tell me what makes me stupid, Mavs fan?

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 04:12 PM
you're the one thinking i actually want to kill you

lol you want to talk about honest fans, i've been a fan since i was 10 years old, before anyone knew who dirk nowitzki was, back when the mavs were the laughing stock of the league. I don't think we're winning a ship this year, and I always call it like i see it, no homerism here. but you talk shit just for the sake of it. was a comment about the mavs never winning it all really even needed? bull troll
I was calling your bluff. I knew you were just a pissed off fan that hates anyone talking about your precious mavs. And the Mavs deserve shit talk as they are the most embarrassing franchise ever in the playoffs.

dirk4mvp
04-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Please, do tell me what makes me stupid, Mavs fan?

Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that?

badfish22
04-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Mavs will beat you senseless during the regular season, but roll over and be your b*tch during the playoffs.

rofl 06 & 09

SpursDynasty
04-03-2010, 04:18 PM
The Spurs have 11 consecutive 50-win seasons and 4 championships.

That's more than 10 consecutive 50-win seasons and 0 championships.

lol mavs

lol warriors

lol dwayne wade

dirk4mvp
04-03-2010, 04:19 PM

That's more than 10 consecutive 50-win seasons and 0 championship.

lol mavs

lol warriors

lol dwayne wade

lol Buffalo Wild Wings gig

ehz33satx
04-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Does it hurt that your team has never won a single championship? Up until just a short decade ago, your beloved Mavs were consistently one of the worst teams in the NBA, year after year. They just recently started winning. Have they won anything meaningful? Not just yet. But your beloved Mavs do have a Western Conference Champions banner raised triumphantly to the rafters.

dirk4mvp
04-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Does it hurt that your team has never won a single championship? Up until just a short decade ago, your beloved Mavs were consistently one of the worst teams in the NBA, year after year. They just recently started winning. Have they won anything meaningful? Not just yet. But your beloved Mavs do have a Western Conference Champions banner raised triumphantly to the rafters.

Obviously your brain is in such poor shape, it indeed cannot understand that.

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 04:21 PM

That's more than 10 consecutive 50-win seasons and 0 championships.

lol mavs

lol warriors

lol dwayne wade
lol Lakers 04 though.

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Did someone just say that the Spurs would be remembered as one of the greatest franchises of all time? CROFL, they are already forgotten

mavs>spurs2
04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I was calling your bluff. I knew you were just a pissed off fan that hates anyone talking about your precious mavs. And the Mavs deserve shit talk as they are the most embarrassing franchise ever in the playoffs.

mono talks shit about the mavs ALL THE TIME, and i don't hate him. i'm not some homer who get mad anytime someone says something about "my precious mavs." ask ghazi, i talk tons of shit about them all the time, and it pisses him off sometimes.

time to re-evaluate the situation and look at the way you're coming off, as a dork who's just a dork and going about it all wrong, in all the wrong places. your comments always seem out of place, like you aren't really a fan at all. but i guess that would make sense since youre a bull fan.

mavsfan1000
04-03-2010, 04:37 PM
mono talks shit about the mavs ALL THE TIME, and i don't hate him. i'm not some homer who get mad anytime someone says something about "my precious mavs." ask ghazi, i talk tons of shit about them all the time, and it pisses him off sometimes.

time to re-evaluate the situation and look at the way you're coming off, as a dork who's just a dork and going about it all wrong, in all the wrong places. your comments always seem out of place, like you aren't really a fan at all. but i guess that would make sense since youre a bull fan.
So you got a double standard then. Great to know.

Ghazi
04-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Mavs are one of the 5 most successful franchises of the decade that was simply unlucky in key spots, be it Dirk's injury in '03 or Wadegate in '06.

ezzizle
04-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Mavs are one of the 5 most successful franchises of the decade that was simply unlucky in key spots, be it Dirk's injury in '03 or Wadegate in '06.

what about 07 against the Warriors ?

21_Blessings
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Yet they keep losing, year after year, in the playoffs.

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 05:12 PM
what about 07 against the Warriors ?

Their memories were erased

http://www.thechangelab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mib-memory-flash.jpg

Findog
04-03-2010, 05:29 PM

I notice he's been credited 76 posts. He actually only made 51, but Kori and timvp gifted him with the other 25.

Findog
04-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Yet they keep losing, year after year, in the playoffs.

Okay

Goran Dragic
04-03-2010, 05:34 PM
ehz33satx is one of the dumbest posters on this site, he earned it after his comment bragging about being able to go to the Spurs arena and stare at championship banners.

Findog
04-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Does it hurt that your team has never won a single championship?

No. I have a life. I'm going to fuck my girlfriend tonight after we beat the SloppySeconds. Let us know the next time your fat menudo-eating ass goes down to the AT&T Center to rub one out to the trophy display. Don't lie, you bragged about doing it. My question is, do you wear some sort of trenchcoat to obfuscate what you're doing, or do you not care if you get caught?

badfish22
04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I notice he's been credited 76 posts. He actually only made 51, but Kori and timvp gifted him with the other 25.

ehz33satx is one of the dumbest posters on this site, he earned it after his comment bragging about being able to go to the Spurs arena and stare at championship banners.

:lmao

Goran Dragic
04-03-2010, 05:42 PM
No. I have a life. I'm going to fuck my girlfriend tonight after we beat the SloppySeconds. Let us know the next time your fat menudo-eating ass goes down to the AT&T Center to rub one out to the trophy display. Don't lie, you bragged about doing it. My question is, do you wear some sort of trenchcoat to obfuscate what you're doing, or do you not care if you get caught?

BOOM roasted

WildcardManu
04-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Such a vivid imagination full of ideas on how to rub one out in public. Can I go next on your girlfriend tonight? I wouldn't mind sloppy seconds.

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 06:11 PM

oooo ur smarttt :lol