PDA

View Full Version : PLAYOFFS: End of game lineup

stu scotts eye
04-03-2010, 07:01 PM
OK, there have been many threads discussing whether TP will start or come off the bench when he returns. I think the question is who will be in during crunch time. Currently the team has been using Hill, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, Mcdyess/Bonner combo (I like having Dyess in with Duncan to solidify rebounding and add quasi-size/0

Now obviously it depends on the matchup, but when Tony returns it will most likely be:

TP
Hill
Manu
Duncan
Dyess/Bonner

This leaves Jefferson out of the equation, which will hurt his psyche and make him even less productive in the playoffs. My question is who do you think POP will leave out, if he plays Jeff at the 4, then we go small ball again which would lose to the Mavs, Lakers, and Jazz. (Duncan needs a big body down there with him)

(btw, for years I use Spurstalk as a quick click for all news Spurs related, bored today so figd id post haha)

silverblk mystix
04-03-2010, 07:03 PM
you gotta go with;

TP
RJ
Manu
TD
Dice

no ifs, and or buts...

Seventyniner
04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
<p>&lt;p&gt;
you gotta go with
TP
RJ
Manu
TD
Dice
no ifs, and or buts...
+1
Hill is good, but he's a guard, and we have two that are far better when healthy.

Edit: wtf happened?

stu scotts eye
04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
you gotta go with;

TP
RJ
Manu
TD
Dice

no ifs, and or buts...

Its just so hard to justify benching Hill after how productive he has been, even at the 2 right before Parker got hurt.

silverblk mystix
04-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Its just so hard to justify benching Hill after how productive he has been, even at the 2 right before Parker got hurt.

I wouldn't look at it like it's a benching

you are talking about a certain situation

and the five mentioned have to give the spurs the best chance to win---they have to--
everything the spurs have invested will be riding on those five doing their job.

...also hill would have already contributed throughout the game (hopefully)..and it would not be an issue

HarlemHeat37
04-03-2010, 07:11 PM
There's no "set" lineup to end the game..it'll depend on the matchups and how certain players have played in the game leading up to clutch time..

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2010, 07:15 PM
There's no "set" lineup to end the game..it'll depend on the matchups and how certain players have played in the game leading up to clutch time..

This.

If a player's been stinking it up, I don't want him in there. Conversely, if he's got the hot hand, then I'll have him in there, if for no other reason than to give the defense something else to think about.

silverblk mystix
04-03-2010, 07:15 PM

This is probably the most accurate--I have to agree even though I placed the five above---

that is only MY hope---

Pop makes the decisions and usually --he goes by feel---what the game is looking like at the time--and of course---matchups/match-up problems..

Waps1980
04-03-2010, 07:19 PM
This but there are a couple players that have to be on regardless of game.
TP, Manu and Duncan
The other spots are on current play from the game, who is showing the best form and who has delivered big in previous pressure moments.

vander
04-03-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't trust anyone at the 4, Bonner? Mcdyess? Blair? Jefferson? Bogans?

the other spots are easy: TP, Hill, Manu, TD, but who to play at the 4...

stu scotts eye
04-03-2010, 07:24 PM

I obviously agree with this concept, in my original post I acknowledge this. But Im talking about in general, just like every championship year, with 5 mins left in the 4th POP would insert the same lineup (unless foul trouble or an obvious suckiness of a player).

So, ceterius paribus, there is a general lineup Pop would like to have in the clutch. This year its just tougher to decide between our oversupply of backcourt talent, which in a way describes why we've been playing better lately with one less individual to give minutes too, one less person looking for a shot (BTW, obviously I feel we need Parker out there in the 4th)

TD 21
04-03-2010, 07:37 PM

I agree. The only locks are Duncan and Ginobili. Parker, if he's anywhere near full capacity, becomes the third lock. The only rotation player I don't see closing out a game (save for a blowout) is Blair. That's not counting Mason, who more than likely won't be in the playoff rotation, due to the return of Parker.

Galileo
04-03-2010, 08:41 PM
By PER

Duncan, Manu, Blair, Parker, Bonner or Hill (tied)
-----
Jefferson, Dice, Mason, Bogans

By Wins Shares

Duncan, Manu, Hill, Jefferson, Blair
-----
Parker, Bonner, Dice, Bogans, Mason

by Plus/Minus

Manu, Duncan, Jefferson, Bonner, Parker
-----
Dice, Hill, Mason, Blair, Bogans

Consensus

Duncan, Manu

three of these:

Blair, Parker, Jefferson, Hill, Bonner

depending on matchups, fouls, and who is hot.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Mason
Ginobili
Bogans
Bonner
Duncan

jestersmash
04-03-2010, 09:21 PM
TP
Ginobili
Duncan
Jefferson

Hill has to compete with TP for the guard spot, and as good as he is, he's not going to win that comparison.

And I feel bad because Hill is tied for being our 4th option along with Jefferson. Hell, he might even have the slight edge over him.

And yet the 5th spot must necessarily be filled by Dice or Bonner (neither is a lock) due to size issues.

urunobili
04-03-2010, 10:09 PM
TP
Hill
Ginobili
RJ
Duncan

or

TP
Manu
RJ
Duncan
Dice

FeZZy
04-04-2010, 03:25 AM
you know he's gonna go small ball on us

lennyalderette
04-04-2010, 04:04 AM
you gotta go with;

TP
RJ
Manu
TD
Dice

no ifs, and or buts...

this is it right here if tony does start.. yes then you go with this lineup for sure, nice and big

Muser
04-04-2010, 04:51 AM
You can't say, if a player is hot then you keep them in the game, if someone is having an awful night you sit them.

crc21209
04-04-2010, 01:34 PM

+1....Sometimes it's just who is playing well on that certain day..

crc21209
04-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Mason
Ginobili
Bogans
Bonner
Duncan

:lmao

Spurs Brazil
04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Parker
Hill
Manu
TD
Bonner

ohmwrecker
04-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I kind of agree with you here. You don't want to get locked into a closing 5 if there is a clear disadvantage at any position, but I am sure that the coaching staff has a pretty clear idea about who they wnat on the court in any given end of game scenario.
Hill has been playing great, but you cannot justify playing him in a, for example, scenario against the Lakers if they are running Fish, Kobe, Artest/Odom, Gasol & Bynum at us.
The Jazz are capable of throwing something like that at us too.

NickiRasgo
04-04-2010, 02:30 PM
PG - Curtis Jerrells
SG - Malik Hairston/Roger Mason Jr.
SF - Garrett Temple/Alonzo Gee
PF - Ian Mahinmi
C - Keith "Centerpiece" Bogans

2010 NBA Champion.