PDA

View Full Version : There is no joy in Kobeville

duncan228
04-03-2010, 10:33 PM
There is no joy in Kobeville (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers4-20100404,0,5591153,full.story)
Does all of Kobe Bryant's talent and money make up for an unapproachable, snarling and cold persona?
By T.J. Simers
LA Times

I know why Kobe is angry and unhappy with me, but what's he got against everyone else?

He has championship rings, millions and now more millions to come, doesn't have to work another day in his life and he always looks upset.

What will he be like when he must mingle with the common folk, no more basketball and another 40 or 50 years to live?

He's adored by many as a basketball player, and yet it's difficult to find anyone in the Los Angeles-area media who has a decent working relationship with the guy.

Most hold him in contempt, as he does them.

Yet it's almost universal here, most everyone in the media slobbering over him with microphone in hand or computer turned on. The media can be as phony as he can be at times.

He is not approachable, his "inner circle of trust,'' as he calls it, shrinking which each passing year.

He answers questions with a monotone voice, the words snapped off with disgust, while glaring at anyone who asks something that might be construed as criticism.

His intensity suggests he's on some kind of crusade to save mankind. He must think what he's doing in life is really important, and maybe he has no choice, so many others treating what he does in the same way.

Is there a better example of lost perspective in sports, fans assuming that great talent also makes for a great human being?

He plays a game for a living, but there is no joy in his play, no indication he's having a good time, no exuberance.

Would you want your son growing up to play the game of basketball like Kobe? Of course you would.

Would you want your son growing up to carry on like Kobe does when he plays basketball?

He plays alone at times, usually at his own choosing, the end of the game reserved for his greatness, which is sports at its best. He's good, all right, as hard as he works, he makes everyone else work just as hard to embrace him.

He struts onto the court when the starters are introduced without a glance, handshake or anything else directed to his teammates — as if he's just arrived and now they can play the game — before bumping into Josh Powell.

He has the power to inspire youngsters, just as Michael Jordan did, but sends the message that competitiveness is measured in snapping at teammates, punching a chair or getting snorting mad at the officials.

He has talent galore, and the practice ethic to make him even more special with a basketball in his hands, but how will he be remembered in this city?

Those who measure human beings by the number of rings they win will forever regard him as one of the greatest Lakers of all time.

But how many sports fans will remember him with warmth or fondness?

He has the ability to be charming, but too often it is cloaked in athletic arrogance, distrust and disdain for what he must endure as a basketball star.

He gets fouled on almost every play, Phil Jackson was saying by way of admiration for his game the other day — just like Jordan, only Kobe makes a point to let everyone know it.

It's probably tough to remain humble when you are the very best at something, but Plaschke does, which makes him better than Kobe, and wouldn't you like to see the look on Kobe's face when told that?

Kay Johnson, as well as George Kimber and Abez all e-mail wanting to know about the gum chewing. "What is with Kobe's deranged, constant, insatiable gum chewing? It is beyond psychotic and unbearable to watch.''

He chews gum like he does everything else — with an attitude.

There is beauty in the way he plays the game, but so much of it gets lost in the ugly grimaces. He's known more for his cold shoulder than his warm heart.

He's basketball's version of Jeff Kent in so many ways, convinced that he must lock himself into battle to be successful.

Maybe winning should be the only thing that matters, the athletes playing the game only and nothing more should be expected of them. The lesson of Tiger Woods.

Kobe wasn't always like this. His charisma was as dazzling as his dunks. But he has never been the same since the Colorado incident. That was of his own making, although it seems at times everyone else is being made to pay for any discomfort he felt.

He has become more sullen, more withdrawn, and yet when reminded his image is taking a beating he can turn on the personality. Too bad he's not reminded more often.

Now he's going to be a Laker for life, the good news everyone here gets to continue watching a special player, the bad news everyone here gets to watch a tortured soul at work.

He's running out of time, the end of his career in sight now and it's too bad he doesn't have the wherewithal to get the same joy out of the experience as people do watching him play.

monosylab1k
04-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Kobe needs to get into acting. tbh he should have won an Academy Award for his performance in Kobe Doin' Work. He looked like a halfway decent human being.

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 10:39 PM
damn good article

The Cougar
04-03-2010, 10:42 PM
I think he's pissed his puppet looks nothing like him

Spursmania
04-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Great article.

I've never liked Kobe. He has no soul.

j.dizzle
04-03-2010, 10:46 PM
No surprises here, TJ Simers been writing columns like this in the LA times for a while..Why the fuck he care if Kobe doesnt smile that much? I would rather him be serious most of the time then a fake ass comedian like Dwight Howard hahaa

Kriz-Maxima
04-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I don't care about Kobe's soul, I just like to see him play.

milkshakeballa
04-03-2010, 10:54 PM
What a ridiculous article.

Shame on you Duncan228 for posting it.

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
04-03-2010, 10:58 PM
What a ridiculous article.

Shame on you Duncan228 for posting it.
Well, who likes Kobe as a person? Certainly not his wife or colorado women. Maybe his mom??? She's never admitted it though.

Killakobe81
04-03-2010, 11:10 PM
non issue.
Kobe is most like Kareem.
If anyone here has ben wathcing ball for a while KAreeem wasnt embraced (as a person) MOST of his career ESPECIALLY compared to Magic.

milkshakeballa
04-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Stop riding our nuts. TJ is a butt hurt cock sucker working in LA yet has no access to LA's top star. They don't pay us to smile, or shake hands. We get paid to kick ass on the court. Odom had a chance to leave, Pau had a chance to not resign, Artest had a chance to not come. Shaq tried to kiss ass back in, PJ couldn't stay away, and Fish begged to come back. Kobe must really be a mutherfucca.

true...even though i don't believe kobe finishes his career in la

Killakobe81
04-03-2010, 11:14 PM
And eventhough he snarls bitches at refs etc.
To say you dont see "joy" in his love of the game ...it means your myopic ...
He loves competition ...

Killakobe81
04-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I also see comparisons to Tiger ...
EXTREMELY driven ultimate competitor ...
Love "white meat"
Cocksman ...LOL

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Only bitch made muthafuccas have a problem with Kobe.

You ride Kobe's dick more than his own wife

D-Wade #3
04-03-2010, 11:22 PM
You ride my dick more than my own wife.

Well, that's two things that you don't have, which makes that statement illogical

cobbler
04-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Poor guy looks so miserable...

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq115/cobblerphoto/kobe.jpg

Cane
04-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Interesting article, agreed for the most part. Whether its Shaq leaving, rapping about how his ass tastes, the Colorado "incident", the constant ballhogging chemistry issues, etc. - he's been playing like he's got a chip on his shoulder and distrust in his teammates. Which is expected since he's been made a spectacle whether it was his lows or highs but all that negative shit has to get to a guy like Bryant. His reputation would be on a whole other level if not for Colorado imo. And the comparisons don't work with Tiger since I don't think he's been brought to court on rape charges.

He's a bad ass on the court but definitely not in the top tier when it comes to the whole picture; but he's far from the only star that way.

Def Rowe
04-03-2010, 11:54 PM
But how many sports fans will remember him with warmth or fondness

Uh, me for one.

Booharv
04-04-2010, 12:08 AM
The motherfucker that wrote that article loves single sentence paragraphs more than anyone since T Park.

TheMACHINE
04-04-2010, 12:25 AM
haha TJ Simers...i remember when he had his own radio show with Fred Roggin and Fred was pissed that they could never get Kobe on the show cuz Simers was the host. lol

silverblk mystix
04-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Good article.

Kobe sux

Laker fans suck

End of story.

JamStone
04-04-2010, 12:34 AM
Article stinks of spite. There are some truths to some of his points but most are exaggerated and seem like personal attacks.

Just because Kobe doesn't have elaborate pre-game celebrations or dances on the sidelines, it doesn't mean he's not having fun out there. And did he forget the 2008 Olympics? There was joy, passion, and excitement with Kobe, but all secondary to focus and intensity for winning.

Kobe's definitely not the most likable guy in the world. But really, so what?

Booharv
04-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Stop riding our nuts. TJ is a butt hurt cock sucker working in LA yet has no access to LA's top star. They don't pay us to smile, or shake hands. We get paid to kick ass on the court. Odom had a chance to leave, Pau had a chance to not resign, Artest had a chance to not come. Shaq tried to kiss ass back in, PJ couldn't stay away, and Fish begged to come back. Kobe must really be a mutherfucca.

You're on the team? I'm gonna guess you're Shannon Brown, am I right?

DJ Mbenga
04-04-2010, 12:45 AM
lol tj simers. all the la sports players hate him. with good reason for articles like this.

leemajors
04-04-2010, 01:15 AM

:lol

namlook
04-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Article stinks of spite. There are some truths to some of his points but most are exaggerated and seem like personal attacks.

Agreed. Consider the source. TJ Simers is an arrogant ass himself and been shut out and had his feelings hurt and this is his way of letting everyone know he's sad Kobe doesn't like him.

ezau
04-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Interesting article, agreed for the most part. Whether its Shaq leaving, rapping about how his ass tastes, the Colorado "incident", the constant ballhogging chemistry issues, etc. - he's been playing like he's got a chip on his shoulder and distrust in his teammates. Which is expected since he's been made a spectacle whether it was his lows or highs but all that negative shit has to get to a guy like Bryant. His reputation would be on a whole other level if not for Colorado imo. And the comparisons don't work with Tiger since I don't think he's been brought to court on rape charges.

He's a bad ass on the court but definitely not in the top tier when it comes to the whole picture; but he's far from the only star that way.

The writer probably missed how Kobe competed in the 08 Olympics. There, I saw his human side by smiling and enjoying what the team has accomplished. Kobe has unbelievable charisma if he only chooses to use it, but still, he's so angry and withdrawn all the time.

cobbler
04-04-2010, 01:47 AM
You're on the team? I'm gonna guess you're Shannon Brown, am I right?

Really? Doesn't that lame argument ever get old. It is common and natural for fans and communities to reference their team as we, us, our, etc. Teams and organizations encourage fans to feel a part of the team. Teams represent and are extensions of the cities in which they and the fans belong. Come on, if thats the best rebutal you can make to a comment... that's really nitpicking.

lefty
04-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Kobe certainly has a big smile on his face everytime the team travels to Colorado

baseline bum
04-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Damn, that read like a Plaschke or a Kevin O'Keefe article. What a bitter prick.

BadOdor
04-04-2010, 02:02 AM
Kobe certainly has a big smile on his face everytime the team travels to Colorado

Seriously.....?

lefty
04-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Seriously.....?
Oh yeah

Kobe loves them white and ugly

BadOdor
04-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Oh yeah

Kobe loves them white and ugly

I'm starting to think your whole shtick is deliberately telling unfunny jokes.....right?

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2010, 02:48 AM
I thought it was a very well-written and portrays Kobe Bryant very accurately..I'm gonna have to remember this writer and read more of his stuff, he has talent and seems to know how to pick good subjects..

Lars
04-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Its kinda sad to be honest.

Heres a guy completely 100% dedicated to being the best ever. More competitive fire and hard work than anyone. Has had great success and many accolades, but still barely breaks the top the ten of all time greatest players. Its gotta suck to give it absolutely everything you have and its still not enough to be the best.

MiamiHeat
04-04-2010, 03:16 AM
kobe has no identity. he's based his life on his obsession with michael jordan. he's the most unlikable, manipulative, lying, fake, egotistical, asshole athlete i have ever seen.

I said this on this forum before, he is going to snap one day - after his playing days are over. I guarantee it.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Very well said MH, as usual..have you seen Gobbler's arguments lately, MH? LOL..some people uh..

redzero
04-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Kobe just being the sociopath he's supposed to be. No surprises here.

Medvedenko
04-04-2010, 04:31 AM
It will be a sad day the day Kobe retires. We've been witnessing the greatest ball player of our generation. I thank Kobe for that.

ezau
04-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Its kinda sad to be honest.

Heres a guy completely 100% dedicated to being the best ever. More competitive fire and hard work than anyone. Has had great success and many accolades, but still barely breaks the top the ten of all time greatest players. Its gotta suck to give it absolutely everything you have and its still not enough to be the best.

Fact is, as good as he is, he'll never be Michael because no one else will ever be Michael.

ezau
04-04-2010, 04:47 AM
It will be a sad day the day Kobe retires. We've been witnessing the greatest ball player of our generation. I thank Kobe for that.

Post-Jordan era only belongs to two guys: Shaq or Duncan.

Muser
04-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Nobody will be Michael, nobody will be Kobe, nobody will be Duncan etc etc..I honestly don't care where you rank them, i'm just happy to of been able to see some of the best players ever play in my lifetime.

alchemist
04-04-2010, 06:01 AM
butthurt journalism

ploto
04-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Gee, article writer, and you wonder why Kobe has no desire to be your buddy and trusts so few people.

silverblk mystix
04-04-2010, 06:42 AM
NO-ONE has actually disputed the writers point , which is sad,

point being that ---Kobe is a prick---yet he has everything one man could hope and dream for---and even though he is good and probably earned his success---

he does NOT have to be a total fucking prick--what is so hard about being good at something---yet staying a nice and humble human being---

glad to be a spurs fan where the players are ---hell---almost the whole organization --

is humble and good-natured....

cobbler
04-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Very well said MH, as usual..have you seen Gobbler's arguments lately, MH? LOL..some people uh..

LOL at Harlem talking to himself...

Not only OBSESSED with the Lakers and Kobe.... Now your OBSESSED with me.

Classic!!!!!:lmao

cobbler
04-04-2010, 07:54 AM
I thought it was a very well-written and portrays Kobe Bryant very accurately..I'm gonna have to remember this writer and read more of his stuff, he has talent and seems to know how to pick good subjects..

TJ Simmers is a well know Hater. That's his style. He rags on everyone and has in particular written many cheesy articles on PJ and Kobe because neither will grant him interviews. He's basically a walking vagina that gets petty because he has no life and can't be a real journalist and has been relegated to page 2 fodder.

I don't think it at all a coincidence that you would relate...

D-Wade #3
04-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I guess Phil Jackson is a hater then, since he came out with a book about just how uncoachable Kobe is :wakeup

cobbler
04-04-2010, 08:09 AM
kobe has no identity. he's based his life on his obsession with michael jordan. he's the most unlikable, manipulative, lying, fake, egotistical, asshole athlete i have ever seen.

I said this on this forum before, he is going to snap one day - after his playing days are over. I guarantee it.

How ironic you talking of obsession. :lol

Why wouldnt you try to follow in the footsteps of your mentor and one of the best in the game? Yeah, what a dumb thing to do.

Odd how the most "unlikable" athlete is the most popular active player in the game today and leads in jersey sales on 3 continents. Apparently the masses refute your claim. But hey, why bring reality into the picture? That wouldn't fall in line with your OBSESSION.

While he can indeed be a manipulative, egotistical, asshole, he still is one of the greatest to ever play the game and will go down in history as so regardless of your views. That it totally infuriates you is just icing on the cake as he lives to put idiots like you in their place. He is a great basketball player and I am happy he plays for our team and I have been able to witness it.

cobbler
04-04-2010, 08:13 AM
I guess Phil Jackson is a hater then, since he came out with a book about just how uncoachable Kobe is :wakeup

I'm sure none of that animosity was due to his firing just months earlier. Odd that PJ would return if he's so uncoachable. Odd that Pau, Odom, Bynum, Brown and company would re-up with the Lakers if they didn't like playing with him. Strange that Artest would take a pay cut as well.

D-Wade #3
04-04-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm sure none of that animosity was due to his firing just months earlier. Odd that PJ would return if he's so uncoachable. Odd that Pau, Odom, Bynum, Brown and company would re-up with the Lakers if they didn't like playing with him. Strange that Artest would take a pay cut as well.

And the dumbass train has left the station, looks like you were the first one on it.......LOL @ U thinking Phil being bitter or not having anything to do with the fact that he couldn't stand Kobe, and if u look at it now, Gasol, Fisher, and even Phil are sick of Kobe trying to prove he's the best and think the offense runs smoother without him. Coincidence?

MiamiHeat
04-04-2010, 09:42 AM
1) Phil Jackson asked front office to trade Kobe SEVERAL times during the Shaq-era. His criticism wasn't due to "being fired"... which by the way, wasn't really a firing. Phil didn't want to coach the Lakers anymore either.

2) The Lakers begged Phil Jackson to come back. They are giving him $10 mil per SEASON to fucking COACH!

Phil coming back and coaching Kobe was a calculated move to try and repair Kobe's image due to the 2004 fallout of the dynasty, the rape case, his snitching, his ball hogging, etc.

Phil coming back helped repair Kobe's image a little, which was the point in the first place.

The Lakers in 2005 were a mess.

Their superstar Kobe Bryant was hated, his sponsors dropped him, he had a horrible image problem.

Shaq was the beloved child of the basketball world, and he was vindicated with the rise of the Miami Heat and his teammate Dwyane Wade.

and then the Lakers team sucked ass and missed the playoffs. Shitty coaches with no help in sight.

The Lakers needed Phil, not the other way around. For a lot of reasons.

Leave it to dumbfuck laker fans to try and rewrite history. Or maybe they became Laker fans post-Gasol trade.

D-Wade #3
04-04-2010, 09:43 AM
1) Phil Jackson asked front office to trade Kobe SEVERAL times during the Shaq-era. His criticism wasn't due to "being fired"... which by the way, wasn't really a firing. Phil didn't want to coach the Lakers anymore either.

2) The Lakers begged Phil Jackson to come back. They are giving him $10 mil per SEASON to fucking COACH!

Phil coming back and coaching Kobe was a calculated move to try and repair Kobe's image due to the 2004 fallout of the dynasty, the rape case, his snitching, his ball hogging, etc.

Phil coming back helped repair Kobe's image a little, which was the point in the first place.

This

da_suns_fan
04-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Kobe IS a total phony and a complete tool.

Its says something about the Laker fans on this board who defend him. Theyre so freaking insecure.

D-Wade #3
04-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Kobe IS a total phony and a complete tool.

Its says something about the Laker fans on this board who defend him. Theyre so freaking insecure.

This

silverblk mystix
04-04-2010, 10:16 AM

The Lakers in 2005 were a mess.

Their superstar Kobe Bryant was hated, his sponsors dropped him, he had a horrible image problem.

Shaq was the beloved child of the basketball world, and he was vindicated with the rise of the Miami Heat and his teammate Dwyane Wade.

and then the Lakers team sucked ass and missed the playoffs. Shitty coaches with no help in sight.

The Lakers needed Phil, not the other way around. For a lot of reasons.

Leave it to dumbfuck laker fans to try and rewrite history. Or maybe they became Laker fans post-Gasol trade.

+1,000,000

pwned

daslicer
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM

I don't think nobody will mourn outside of the media and laker nation when Kobe retires. For the majority of fans I think there will be celeberation that this narcissistic character is finally gone much like when people rejoiced when Laimbeer retired. Kobe is very hateable fake guy there is no way he will get the love Larry Bird, Magic, MJ got when they announced their retirement. I remember when those guys announced they were going to retire it felt like it was the end of world not just for their fans but for all basketball fans. Another thing Kobe is not revolutionary like those 3 guys so its not a like a void will be missing when he retires considering he hasn't changed the way the game is played.

j.dizzle
04-04-2010, 10:49 AM
LOL Simers, Phil Jackson hates that bitch too...btw happy easter sons

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/phil-jackson-tj-simers-drops-fbomb-cussing-rockets-post/7215

milkshakeballa
04-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Almost every Laker fan here is not defending Kobe LOL they are just speakign the truth about the writer.

As a Laker fan (and I speak for most)

I could give a FLYING FUCKING SHIT about Kobe's personality or how much he fucking smiles.....

It is a fucking joke that obviously....you guys do more than fucking Laker fans.

I could give a fuck if he is an asshole in real life....I fucking hope he is. It makes ZERO difference to me. Tell me an athlete that isn't an asshole and I will name 10 that are.

If YOU can't appreciate his craft and the dedication he puts into it (more dedication than 99.999% of people do @ their profession) doesn't mean other people can't.

You don't think I respect Duncan?

KG even though he a fucking grade A asshole?

Could give a fuck.

Grow the fuck up HarlemHeat/MiamiHeat/DWade/ChrisRichards...whiny bitches.

cobbler
04-04-2010, 02:34 PM
No shit. I pay to watch him play ball and he does pretty damn good at it.

LOL at anyone thinking the Laker management gives a shit about an image or turmoil. They care about winning titles. In fact, Dr Buss loves the turmoil and media attention it creates.

Foget the fact that Jackson has gone on record and said his siding with Shaq was an improper thing to do and he should have handled it differently.

PJ's coming back had everything to do with winning and nothing to do with repairing anyones image.

LOL @ anyone saying Shaq was vindicated because he won in Miami. He road DWades coat tails and burned his bridges there just as he has with every team he has played for. Funny how nobody talks about image with him. Can you say double standard? The "beloved" child has only gone on the prove that he's a whiney little bitch much like the haters here.

Who has said the Lakers didnt need PJ? Of course they did. Rudy quit 1/3 through the season. They were looking for a championship coach and I tip my hat to both Kobe and PJ for being man enough and mature enough to acknowledge mistakes they made with each other and repair their relationship and above all, put winning as the priority.

And as milkshake points out so well. We don't give a shit if our players smile, how their personality plays in the media, and most certainly what opposing fans or hater think of them. We care about winning and our boys are doing just fine in that area. How are your boyscouts faring?

djohn2oo8
04-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Almost every Laker fan here is not defending Kobe LOL they are just speakign the truth about the writer.

As a Laker fan (and I speak for most)

I could give a FLYING FUCKING SHIT about Kobe's personality or how much he fucking smiles.....

It is a fucking joke that obviously....you guys do more than fucking Laker fans.

I could give a fuck if he is an asshole in real life....I fucking hope he is. It makes ZERO difference to me. Tell me an athlete that isn't an asshole and I will name 10 that are.

If YOU can't appreciate his craft and the dedication he puts into it (more dedication than 99.999% of people do @ their profession) doesn't mean other people can't.

You don't think I respect Duncan?

KG even though he a fucking grade A asshole?

Could give a fuck.

Grow the fuck up HarlemHeat/MiamiHeat/DWade/ChrisRichards...whiny bitches.

Nobody said they didn't respect his dedication, just nobody likes him as a person. Calm down bruh, did someone hit a nerve?

resistanze
04-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Dumb article, dumber for using Jordan as a comparison for personality of the year. It's funny how easily a sports journalist get so butthurt because an athlete doesn't treat him like a brother :lol

MiamiHeat
04-04-2010, 03:54 PM
I'll be a little sad when Shaq retires.

he's from my youth, and represents the 90's more than the 00's imo.

i remember being in middle school when the Penny/Shaq Magic were the shit.

Scola
04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Article is 100% spot on. Deep down Kobe doesn't trust his teammates. Lebron and his team actually look like they enjoy playing together, in comparison Kobe's teammates look scared half the time. Kobe comes off as being cold, arrogant, and unapproachable. Maybe it had to do with all the traveling he did as a Kid, it must of been hard to make friends. In any case something seriously messed him up.