PDA

View Full Version : Reporting accidents

mffl89
04-03-2010, 11:35 PM
I was driving to class on Wednesday when I saw something I wish I had not seen.

The pickup in front of me was turning left onto another street when he hit a person in one of those motorized wheelchairs. The guy in the wheelchair was already in the crossing the road (he had the right of way) when the driver hit him. The worst part of it all was that I could see the handicapped guy raise his hands trying to get the driver to stop right before they collided.

That leads me to my question. Should I have stayed and waited for the police or was it alright if I left since there were about 3-4 cars that stopped to help the guy?

I thought it was okay for me to leave, but a few friends have told me that I should have stayed since I was an immediate witness.

Udokafan05
04-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Probably should have stayed since you possibly had clearest view of accident.

Blake
04-04-2010, 12:03 AM

The pickup in front of me was turning left onto another street when he hit a person in one of those motorized wheelchairs. The guy in the wheelchair was already in the crossing the road (he had the right of way) when the driver hit him. The worst part of it all was that I could see the handicapped guy raise his hands trying to get the driver to stop right before they collided.

That leads me to my question. Should I have stayed and waited for the police or was it alright if I left since there were about 3-4 cars that stopped to help the guy?

I thought it was okay for me to leave, but a few friends have told me that I should have stayed since I was an immediate witness.

eh, if there were 3-4 cars already there that stopped, then you stopping wouldn't have made a difference and depending on the area may have held up traffic more.

If you feel especially civic minded, then I dont see why you cant call the police non-emergency line and give your report over the phone......however this case sounds pretty cut and dry....I wouldnt think your witness report would even be needed......

The real duty you have is to render aid, but it sounds like he was already taken care of.

imo, Don't sweat it.

Sisk
04-04-2010, 12:24 AM
yeah 4cc it's really lame to care about other people's wellbeing, right?
:rolleyes

marini martini
04-04-2010, 12:57 AM
You should have stopped!!! Who knows, one day you might be cripple in a wheelchair, too!

mavs>spurs2
04-04-2010, 02:55 AM
it's lame to start a thread on spurstalk about it instead of nutting up and making a fucking phone call

i'm gonna be sure to leave the scene when i whip yours, pego's, and CBF's ass but i'll at least call the gynecologist for emergency pickup

florige
04-04-2010, 11:49 AM
If you actually SAW it happen you probably should had stayed and waited for the police to show up. You never know what kinda view the others may or may not had of the vehicle that was involved in this. Sometimes I have gotten two or three completely different versions of stories from people who were eyewitnesses to stuff like this.

phxspurfan
04-04-2010, 02:13 PM

You should've waited for the cops to arrive and given your story. It's the only time a cop does something noteworthy anyway.

The Reckoning
04-04-2010, 06:09 PM
cops help people change tires

since when?