PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a HemisFair Arena crowd?

jaffies
04-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Forget it.

I know I'm not the expert on something like this since I've been to only 1 game at the ATT Center, so take this for what it is. But the ushers and sheriffs are hard-asses (understandably so...I guess). But then again, I'm fucking loud. Put it this way: loud enough to get the fan regulations "yellow card" that the usher was carrying around.

I got some tickets from Ryvin for a Trailblazers game in December (4th row - ~10 feet from visitors bench). There are 2 ushers, and a sheriff staring at you right in the face. I, in no way was disrespectful towards any players, coaches, or anyone within shouting distance. No cuss words (OK...1, more on that later), no 'you suck', or 'work on your free-throws, no cheap shots like what I wanted to say: "...and with the 1st pick in the 2007 (or 1984) NBA draft, the Portland Trailblazers select..." None of that shit. All that I said could ONLY be taken as distracting, funny, or (very) possibly annoying, at least to the players/coaches...the fans thought I was hilarious!

I was on Lamarcus Aldridge, screaming, "TEXAS....(wait for response), TEXAS....(repeat)". Didn't get a response, but I was loud enough to get his attention for a 'hook 'em horns' sign from a timeout.

I was on Brandon Roy, who DNP'd, asking him to tell Nate to put him in the game. Dude blocked me out like a professional basketball player getting payed millions should.

I was on Juwan Howard about him being old, but I put an end to it because it seemed tasteless (and he was kickin our ass).

I was on Martell Webster, and since I didn't know too much about the guy I just kept shouting, "Weeeebbbbssstttteeerrrrr", while he was on the bench. After a minute or so, he turned around with the most confused look on his face. And similar things to other players along those lines.

All in good fun I guess, maybe I was too vocal, too rowdy, but that was only in comparison to the FUCKING CORPSES around me!!! Soon enough the Guillermo looking usher who has been staring at me for a quarter and a half, walks over and says, "Hey, you need to cut that out".

http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/3550500/3550721_859e_625x625.jpg

I immediately shut the fuck up, almost to the point of being scared to cheer for fear of being tossed. But, I decided to just keep it to good old 'Go Spurs Gos' and 'woohoo' and 'yeah' for the remainder. Still really loud, though. Then in the 4th quarter I accidentally let out an f-word in the form of an fucking adjective, and the sheriff walks over a split second later to "hey, WATCH THE F-WORD!" Yeah, I get it. A real shitty thing to do especially when a Spurs game should be considered a family-friendly outing. I would hate it if I took my son to his 1st Spurs game, only to have some jackass screaming profanities next to us, then go home to explain to my son what a pussyfart is.

Anyway, I'll get to the point.

After the game, I was issued the previously mentioned "yellow card". I don't remember the exact words that were on it, but I'll paraphrase:

ANY INTERACTION BETWEEN THE SPECTATORS AND THE PLAYERS AND/OR ALL COACHES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED

Then I kinda felt like an asshole. It kinda made sense, why he told me to shut it, even if they are professional athletes.

So, I could have been out of line, maybe not. And I don't know who to blame if I wasn't outta line. The NBA? The ATT Center? Guillermo???

Whatcu think?

widowmaker
04-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Fuck it man give it to them, somebodys gotta do it and besides your just having fun. Just becareful and dont get kicked out anymore, they're gonna need you for the playoffs lol!

benefactor
04-04-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't think you were out of line, I think that they are just paranoid as hell after the Artest incident. The league doesn't want anything...no matter how small...to potentially trigger a situation that might wind up on ESPN.

J.T.
04-04-2010, 06:39 AM
My mom used to wash my mouth out with soap if I said the F word around her. I got tired of it a few weeks ago and moved out. Dove doesn't taste that bad though.

Muser
04-04-2010, 06:39 AM
I could see you getting some kind of punishment for throwing an F-Bomb at a game, but not for trying to wind someone up.

#2!
04-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Maybe you shouldn't have singled out so many different guys but I agree about being disappointed in the AT&T center crowds. It seems like the bigger the game the worse it is b/c every guy with an extra ticket to see the lakers or lebron is gonna be asking every hot chick he knows before his best friend gets a call. Seriously, the talent level in the stands rises along with the talent on the court.

It isn't all bad, but I hate being the only person standing up after a Timmy and 1, or Manu slashing past 3 defenders. And I understand how people standing up in front of you can get annoying, but when its under 2 minutes left in a close game against the best team in the league and I turn around to see that not even the fact the two rows behind me and my friends can't see (4 of us all above 6'2") will get these fans off their asses.

In fact they all left, and then even more disparaging, I had to convince my own brother not to leave early (he did anyways, I remained behind). But luckily there is something you can do about it. If you have the pleasure of attending a game yell, stand, jump, and cheer "Go Spurs Go" and "Defense" every time the opportunity is presented. And to any spurs fan attending a lakers game, cheer as loud as you can b/c the AT&T Center is under siege by LA fans when they're in town, and I personally can't stand it whether I'm there, or watching on TV.

Chomag
04-04-2010, 07:08 AM
I was given lower seats once and my god I had no idea how much those richies were all courses. And when you dare cheer loud even just once you immediately get stared down like you are disturbing them. They were to busy talking on their phones or texting and posting on twitter or face book to even know what was going on in the game. IT seemed like it was just a big social event for them. IT was just a horrible experience as a fan all around.

Even though it was awesome to be so close to the court and players I'll take the nosebleed with Real people that actually show emotion and passion about cheering on their team over it anyday. I wont say all those richies are bad and I'm sure there are some die hard fans with them, but it's just the impression I got when I was smack in the middle of them that one game, but perhaps I just cought them all on a bad day? I don't know

As the OP said by the 3-4th quarter I was afraid to even cheer anymore in fear of getting kicked out.

wildbill2u
04-04-2010, 08:55 AM
There will never be a crowd like that in the old Hemisfair Arena. The Arena was relatively small, seats were close to the court, and LOUD because of the acoustics.

And was the crowd rowdy and enthusiasitc? Whenever the Orange Blossom Special, Cotton-Eyed Joe or one of the other favorite tunes went on everyone stood up and stomped on the floor. The floor level seats were on aluminum bleachers and acted like drum heads.

People talk about Artest and Jax getting it on with the crowd. There was a fight between the Spurs TEAM and the Nets TEAM that involved most of the players all over the court :ihit and then some of the fans came down out of the stands onto the floor to get into it--basically throwing beer--until they saw the size of the guys they were about to call out. :downspin:

And the Nets had some tough mean guys. Rich Jones who was a PF and enforcer for the Spurs at one time wound up chasing a really big fat guy way up into the rafters--and the pro athelete couldn't catch him...didn't have as much incentive I guess. :nope

Never be days like that again when San Antonio had the loudest arena in the country and the toughest, most-fun crowd.

bigfan
04-04-2010, 08:59 AM
No F-words and nobody likes the clowns behind the visitors benches but I think pretty much everything else is fair game verbally. Just dont ruin the game by constant screaming.

Capt Bringdown
04-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes, one mustn't make any loud noises or cross words to disturb this generation of corporate sheep.

I don't think these kids could've handled the raucous atmosphere of the HemisFair. I don't recall ever seeing an usher at the HemisFair.
It's great that since Robinson came to town the Spurs have been recast as wholesome G-rated family entertainment, but what I wouldn't give for some of that old HemisFair atmosphere. Smoke if you've got 'em!

ohmwrecker
04-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I only went to the Hemisfair once and I was maybe 10 years old, but I remember it being really loud and raucous. I've seen a lot of games at the Alamodome and had seats on the floor behind the basket a few times (I caught Patrick Ewing once). It seems like, as big as the alamodome was, the crowd was more into the game. The AT&T center crowd is definitely tighter and uninterested. It seems like all the loud and excited fans have been priced out into the nosebleeds. The Spurs crowd these days reminds me of Mavs fans. Women get all gussied up, dudes showing off the arm candy, no one stands, no one cheers, it's boring. It's just a night out for at least half the people there. Toward the end of the season and the playoffs it gets more intense, but for most of the year, the majority of people who go to Spurs games, are really lame.

easy7
04-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Did you have any words with Howard in that last game? In the Hemisfair we used to go wild, of course in the nosebleed seats is hard for the players to hear you but we did try. :hat

Dex
04-04-2010, 10:18 AM
CjnJ8xs6ibs

Whisky Dog
04-04-2010, 11:32 AM
The problem is everyone isn't doing it. If everyone did it, you wouldn't get yellow carded. But again, I like to watch the game and not have crazy stuff going on all around me. That's why I usually watch from home.

baseline bum
04-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow. I would never last in those seats.

AnthonyM
04-04-2010, 12:51 PM
My girlfriend's dad has seats in the lower level in section 101. He has the same problem that Jaffies mentioned. There are a bunch of old people that don't really get into the game. I don't think the ushers have ever given him one of those cards but I know that people around him give him looks when he yells.

I honestly would rather sit in the nosebleed seats just because people are way more fun up there. I don't think you'll get Hemisfair style crowds anywhere though. My dad used to go and tell me how the baseline bums would throw guacamole (maybe it was once but I've heard that story) and all that good stuff. It's just the state of the NBA and probably society now that they don't allow that kind of heckling or jeering anymore at sport venues.

Destro
04-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Nosebleed playoffs are the best seats in the house. Everyone around you is your new best friend as you high-five and scream together. Lower level is boring. I had my back against the wall for several finals games, fantastic seats and great time

LoneStarState'sPride
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Nosebleeds ftw. Always a good time up there!

Frenzy
04-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I was given lower seats once and my god I had no idea how much those richies were all courses. And when you dare cheer loud even just once you immediately get stared down like you are disturbing them. They were to busy talking on their phones or texting and posting on twitter or face book to even know what was going on in the game. IT seemed like it was just a big social event for them. IT was just a horrible experience as a fan all around.

Even though it was awesome to be so close to the court and players I'll take the nosebleed with Real people that actually show emotion and passion about cheering on their team over it anyday. I wont say all those richies are bad and I'm sure there are some die hard fans with them, but it's just the impression I got when I was smack in the middle of them that one game, but perhaps I just cought them all on a bad day? I don't know

As the OP said by the 3-4th quarter I was afraid to even cheer anymore in fear of getting kicked out.

I agree...I hate when the people in the front row don't cheer or get into it. Like gtfo if you ain't here for the game argh! :pctoss

tp2021
04-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Wow. I would never last in those seats.

dbestpro
04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
The problem is that you were noticed because you were an upper level fan cheering in a lower level section. If the rest of the lower level snobs would get up of their asses they could actually help influence the game. These fans actually undermine the home court advantage. If everyone was giving it like the upper level fans you would be just one of the many fans who would be getting into the heads of the other players. The Spurs have got up off the couch, now what about the lower level fans?