PDA

View Full Version : Right now, the Spurs are definitely the second best team in the West

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Amazing. Hopefully Hill gets back soon

:toast

Frenzy
04-04-2010, 05:00 PM
that or duncan plays like he is playing now. Or both...haha

Muser
04-04-2010, 05:01 PM
If Parker comes back healthy and Duncan/Manu continue like they did tonight then we could make a little bit of noise. Too many ifs for my liking though.

IronMexican
04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
:lol

Sorry, but that's just not true. Not to rain on anyone's party, but it isn't true.

tlongII
04-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Who's the best? It sure ain't the Lakers right now.

Xylus
04-04-2010, 05:05 PM
I sure as hell don't want the Spurs in the 1st round. Or any round, for that matter.

DAF86
04-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Fuck that Nets loss :bang

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Sorry, but considering the shitty season we've been having it's nice to finally see this team round into form.

Of course, they could just as easily get eliminated in round 1.

And they better resign Ginobili, would be worse than giving away Scola

DJ Mbenga
i wonder if this is good for dallas. to get the spurs again the first round

Amuseddaysleeper
How can a 7th seed be the second best. Explain that.

Shitty first 3/4 of the season

kamikazi_player
04-04-2010, 05:15 PM
2nd best team? no, but they can probably go to the 2nd round if they don't blow leads in the fourth quarter.

TinTin
04-04-2010, 05:18 PM
2010 nba champions!!!!!!

Trainwreck2100
04-04-2010, 05:18 PM

they're 3 games back from the 2 seed

Spursmania
04-04-2010, 09:35 PM
i wonder if this is good for dallas. to get the spurs again the first round

Probably. Dallas would be better off playing us.
I'd personally like the Spurs to play Denver, especially without Martin.

Cry Havoc
04-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Right now

Someday, you might learn how to actually read. You're saying if a team won 30 games in a row to move into the 7th playoff spot after starting 25-40, they wouldn't be better than a 7th seed. Reading comprehension is your brutal adversary, luva.

mogrovejo
04-04-2010, 09:43 PM
It's sickening that these same Spurs fans who were saying their team was finished and had no chance and would probably miss the playoffs etc. etc. just 1 month ago are now acting like cocky bastards.

Funnier is the persistent fear/respect for the Lakers that they have.

Xylus
04-04-2010, 09:44 PM
It's sickening that these same Spurs fans who were saying their team was finished and had no chance and would probably miss the playoffs etc. etc. just 1 month ago are now acting like cocky bastards.

Spurs fans and Mavs fans are the most up-and-down fans on this board, I'd say.

mogrovejo
04-04-2010, 09:44 PM

For the record, my problem with this isn't the lack of "believing" and "fanhood" and all that jazz - I think it's silly to fall in the wishful thinking trap just because you're a fan - but the lack of basketball analysis ability.

badfish22
04-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Realistic Spurs Fan

lol

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2010, 10:39 PM

We're not making it to the finals. And a month or two ago the Spurs looked like a team that had no business making the playoffs. Even the most optimistic of Spur fans have to be surprised at this team's play, especially with TP out.

Now we have to deal with losing George Hill, in which case this thread will be bumped by another team's fan after the loss to Sacto.

And it's hard to argue against how well the Spurs have been playing, it's not being cocky, it is what it is. I'm sure I can find posts from hundreds of posters slamming their respective teams when things aren't going well and being extra excited when the team goes on a surge. Look at the Mavs being understandably excited after a 13 game win streak, and now a decent amount of them could be a little bit bummed at their recent play. Such is the life of a sports fan.

Key words of the thread title are "right now". The playoff race is changing constantly.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2010, 10:42 PM
For the record, my problem with this isn't the lack of "believing" and "fanhood" and all that jazz - I think it's silly to fall in the wishful thinking trap just because you're a fan - but the lack of basketball analysis ability.

Would you like me to break down point by point why I think the Spurs are the playing well right now? I don't need someone telling me I have a "lack of basketball analysis ability" when I've spoken many many times on the Spurs forum about what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong. And its a lot more than just your typical "Pop is an idiot" stuff.

duhoh
04-04-2010, 10:51 PM
lol spurs.

i really don't see them getting to WCF. if they do, then :tu

LakerHater
04-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Suns #1?

JamStone
04-04-2010, 11:11 PM
They're playing that way right now, second to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

mogrovejo
04-04-2010, 11:13 PM
We're not making it to the finals. And a month or two ago the Spurs looked like a team that had no business making the playoffs. Even the most optimistic of Spur fans have to be surprised at this team's play, especially with TP out.

I'm not a Spurs fan, I'm not optimistic and I'm not surprised.

mogrovejo
04-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Would you like me to break down point by point why I think the Spurs are the playing well right now? I don't need someone telling me I have a "lack of basketball analysis ability" when I've spoken many many times on the Spurs forum about what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong. And its a lot more than just your typical "Pop is an idiot" stuff.

Great but I rarely memorize screennames.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-04-2010, 11:15 PM
It's only April

peteee
04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Amazing. Hopefully Hill gets back soon

:toast
It has to accompany with your indefinite optimism though. teams from 2nd to 8th aren't far divided and I'm sure the final standing will hold an elephant big uncertainty till the very last day of regular season. Mavs once sat on the 2nd spot but they're now likely to slip straightly down the line for the 8th and the right to get curbstomped by Lakers in first round.

Killakobe81
04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Congrats to the Spurs Told tall Duncan not done.

Cry Havoc
04-04-2010, 11:26 PM

A lot of Spurs fans never act cocky, and they aren't talking up the Spurs chances like they're unanimous favorites to win the West.

I'm really sorry if it bothers you that I'm excited about my team finally playing well. :toast

mogrovejo
04-04-2010, 11:29 PM
A lot of Spurs fans never act cocky, and they aren't talking up the Spurs chances like they're unanimous favorites to win the West.

I'm really sorry if it bothers you that I'm excited about my team finally playing well. :toast

I've already explained that this has nothing to do with fanhood and all that stuff.

Why should I be bothered? I was saying the Spurs were being grossly underrated and that they were still very strong contenders when pretty much every of you weren't.

They aren't playing much different now than they were 3 months ago. It just seems that way. The team is still the same.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-05-2010, 01:32 AM
I've already explained that this has nothing to do with fanhood and all that stuff.

Why should I be bothered? I was saying the Spurs were being grossly underrated and that they were still very strong contenders when pretty much every of you weren't.

They aren't playing much different now than they were 3 months ago. It just seems that way. The team is still the same.

WTF are you talking about? You do realize they've struggled with elite teams all year and have had some of the worst defense of the Popovich era?

It's one thing to say the team had the potential to be solid but never could get it together, but it's another thing to say something as ignorant as "they aren't playing much different now than they were 3 months ago" because they could only beat sub .500 teams 3 months and now they seem to be on a roll with most of the playoff contenders.

ezau
04-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Who's the best? It sure ain't the Lakers right now.

True. It's hard to convince anybody that this Lakers team is the best in the West. With the way the Spurs are playing, you can make an argument that they are the best in the West at this point. The game today simply validated the fact that this Lakers team will not repeat.

TheRealCB
04-05-2010, 03:13 AM
Well,they play better than Dallas and Denver,that's for sure :depressed
They can beat Phoenix in the play-offs..
Can you handle Utah without home court??Utah's the second best team in the west right now,and Spurs should be third..TP should get hurt more often,unlike manu,his injuries seem to help you..

cobbler
04-05-2010, 03:35 AM
True. It's hard to convince anybody that this Lakers team is the best in the West. With the way the Spurs are playing, you can make an argument that they are the best in the West at this point. The game today simply validated the fact that this Lakers team will not repeat.

The Spurs did their best to stay ahead of the current eighth seed Portland Trail Blazers and avoid a first-round matchup with the Lakers, which Popovich said is the main objective.

"The ones that say we don't care who we play, they're full of baloney too, because we're all trying to hide from the Lakers," Popovich said. "I mean really. 'Who do you want to play in the first round?' 'Oh, the Lakers'. What an idiot."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100404/daily-dime

Xylus
04-05-2010, 03:39 AM
"The ones that say we don't care who we play, they're full of baloney too, because we're all trying to hide from the Lakers," Popovich said. "I mean really. 'Who do you want to play in the first round?' 'Oh, the Lakers'. What an idiot."

:lmao

ezau
04-05-2010, 04:25 AM
The Spurs did their best to stay ahead of the current eighth seed Portland Trail Blazers and avoid a first-round matchup with the Lakers, which Popovich said is the main objective.

Popovich playing mind games that he's supposed to to play:toast

TDMVPDPOY
04-05-2010, 05:39 AM
the spurs are just beatin fodder teams like t he lakers

Duncan21kid
04-05-2010, 06:29 AM
This is what happens after every win or loss. If we beat a good team, were NBA champs. If lose to a bad team, were a lottory team.

Some dickheads questioning the heart of Timmy and Pop's knowledge.

You fuckin homer spurfans suck

Rummpd
04-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Spurs have one of the top 5 point differentials in the league and have beat the Cavs, Lakers, Magic and Boston badly in the last 2 weeks - yes they are the 2nd best team in the West and right now may be playing the best of any team not only in the West but in the league - if they get both Hill and Parker for the first round this team can beat anyone.

dirk4mvp
04-05-2010, 08:43 AM
We Beat the Lakers on April 4th Championship

:wakeup

Indazone
04-05-2010, 09:11 AM
If Parker comes back and Pop puts him back in the starting lineup, then the Chemistry will get screwed up.

sonic21
04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
If Parker comes back and Pop puts him back in the starting lineup, then the Chemistry will get screwed up.

the spurs started playing well before parker's injury

picc84
04-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Spurs are peaking at the time when the top 3 west teams are slumping. Plus no head coach for Denver in the playoffs and no kmart. Things are looking up in alamo land.

ElNono
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
We've been playing great defense and Manu has been playing superbly. Tim also has had some great games here and there (like yesterday). That said, we're still too thin in some positions and while last week has been encouraging, I'd like to see a larger sample.
Plus other teams in the west are also peaking now. The zombie sonics have been playing extremely well, portland had a good stretch lately, Utah will be handful to anybody, the Lakers are the defending champs, the Mavs and Denver have been sliding a bit, but they have the talent. Phoenix has been playing well too.

It's no coincidence it's such a tight race right now in the West, and the playoffs are promising to be really competitive this season.

picc84
04-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Funny how things change. You guys were ready to commit suicide a few weeks ago. Now your a contender to win the west. Basketball is crazy.

ElNono
04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Funny how things change. You guys were ready to commit suicide a few weeks ago. Now your a contender to win the west. Basketball is crazy.

I'm not sold on contender yet. But we're definitely peaking at the right time.
That said, the NJ game tells you how thin we are. Can't afford to have a weak game from 2 out of the big 3. There's just not enough talent behind them.

Cane
04-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Hollinger's infamous rankings have the Spurs as the best team in the West and third overall, trailing Orlando and Cleveland:

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

in2deep
04-05-2010, 09:49 AM
1st in west and 3rd overall sounds about right

mogrovejo
04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
WTF are you talking about? You do realize they've struggled with elite teams all year and have had some of the worst defense of the Popovich era?

I've always said people were overplaying the struggles. They were just losing close games. That's not that important.

They're defense is not much improved. Some guys have picked up their defensive games but even that was predictable.

It's one thing to say the team had the potential to be solid but never could get it together, but it's another thing to say something as ignorant as "they aren't playing much different now than they were 3 months ago" because they could only beat sub .500 teams 3 months and now they seem to be on a roll with most of the playoff contenders.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. People put too much stock in winning/losing close games. The Spurs had one of the best PD in the league 3 months ago.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I've always said people were overplaying the struggles. They were just losing close games. That's not that important.

They're defense is not much improved. Some guys have picked up their defensive games but even that was predictable.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. People put too much stock in winning/losing close games. The Spurs had one of the best PD in the league 3 months ago.

Wrong, their defense is a 100 times better and it has a lot to do with Pop playing a lot less small ball and players like RJ and Bogans stepping up in that department.

As for PD, the Spurs had a pretty cupcake schedule through most of the season, and they were always good at dominating the sub .500 teams of the league. Which is why they have the toughest schedule to close out the season, to make up for the games they've been coasting on the bottom feeders all season long. The Spurs PD from 3 months was definitely inflated due to the competition they faced.

anonoftheinternets
04-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Wrong, their defense is a 100 times better and it has a lot to do with Pop playing a lot less small ball and players like RJ and Bogans stepping up in that department.

As for PD, the Spurs had a pretty cupcake schedule through most of the season, and they were always good at dominating the sub .500 teams of the league. Which is why they have the toughest schedule to close out the season, to make up for the games they've been coasting on the bottom feeders all season long. The Spurs PD from 3 months was definitely inflated due to the competition they faced.

actually hte only difference is they dont fold in the 4th. through 3 quarters spurs were always good this year. It comes down to lack of execution and now there is better chemistry. It will only improve once parker gets back, its disgusting to see some of the linups without any of the big three out there, and as well as hill is playing, he wont be able to do it day in and day out this year. Maybe next year or the year after that, but this year it would be too much on his plate. Anyway, I think the spurs are as good as 2-7, but so is everyone else.

I htink there is Magic, Cavs, LA, everyione else.

mogrovejo
04-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Again, you're wrong. The PD adjusted for sos was still good. You guys were overdramatizing the losses to good teams, as if a close loss was all that different than a close win. It isn't. Some are able to see the big picture; some are not. Ex post facto analysis everybody can do.

And trust me: the Spurs still have some important defensive weaknesses.

j.dizzle
04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Last 5 games in the western conference are gonna be ridiculous..Im looking forward for the last game of the season between SA vs Dal & Den vs PHX...Pretty insane how even then last game of the season is huge in the west

mogrovejo
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Hollinger's infamous rankings have the Spurs as the best team in the West and third overall, trailing Orlando and Cleveland:

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

Spurs fans have spend the entire season calling Hollinger an idiot because he was obviously overrating the Spurs big time.

Now he's finally right.

It's amazing people don't understand they were actually wrong in the first place.

Ghazi
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
So if Hollinger abides by his formula if the playoffs started today he'd pick the BLazers over the Lakers?

ElNono
04-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Spurs fans have spend the entire season calling Hollinger an idiot because he was obviously overrating the Spurs big time.

Now he's finally right.

Is he? Do you really think the Spurs are the best team out west?

And the team's defense is indeed much improved, especially in the interior and with rotations. We still have a lot of work to do in that department though.