PDA

View Full Version : So who can't we beat without Parker?

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 05:17 PM
We've beaten the Cavs, Celtics, Magic & Lakers and who else with Parker's soft ass in a suit?

I like our chances as long as he doesn't suit up.

Sisk
04-04-2010, 05:17 PM
this thread sucks

poop
04-04-2010, 05:18 PM
im afraid as soon as he comes back, the ball will be out of manu's hands and that is a BAD thing.

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 05:20 PM
im afraid as soon as he comes back, the ball will be out of manu's hands and that is a BAD thing.

yep. Parker KILLS our ball movement on offense. And he's soft on D. Facts is facts.

Manufan909
04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Manu not having the ball ALL THE TIME is a good thing, at 32 he can't be the sole ball handler for 40+ minutes.

SpursRulez4eVeR
04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
as of now it would be really great to have TP leading the bench...you know instead of RMfreakingJ....

eric365
04-04-2010, 05:23 PM
The nets !

easy7
04-04-2010, 05:24 PM
We can't beat the Nets without Parker.

lefty
04-04-2010, 05:25 PM
I agree

:pctoss

peskypesky
We can't beat the Nets without Parker.

whew! good thing we won't have to face them in the playoffs then. We're GOLDEN!! :flag:

Seventyniner
The nets !

/thread

bobby4germany
04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Njn!

nkdlunch
04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
watch spurs lose vs. Sacramento now :(

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
It's not a popular opinion, but one of the main reasons we weren't very good for the first 50 games was because a hobbled Tony Parker was doing much more harm than good. I mean let's look at reality:

Tony vs Hill

X Layups
Mid-range J x
Threes x
Free throws x
Ball movement x
Rebounds x
Defense xx
Giving ball to Manu xxxxxxxx

When Tony's fully healthy, he's a weapon, but if he's not a 100%, he doesn't do us any good on the floor. He kills the offense and he's horrendous on defense, too small to stop muscular guys and too passive on the quick guys. I don't think it's much of a coincidence we took off when he was out. Same thing happened in '08. His value to the team is dramatically overrated.

If we want to win a ring I think we need to have Tony playing one specific role, and that's as a 24 min a game bench scorer. Hill and Manu need to play the bulk of the games and even RJ has some value because he's actually a pretty solid defender in the half court and a decent rebounder. Plus, the way we way on offense, we need catch-and-shoot guys. Parker has never been that and it throws off everyone's rhythm.

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 05:35 PM
When Tony's fully healthy, he's a weapon, but if he's not a 100%, he doesn't do us any good on the floor. He kills the offense and he's horrendous on defense, too small to stop muscular guys and too passive on the quick guys. I don't think it's much of a coincidence we took off when he was out. Same thing happened in '08. His value to the team is dramatically overrated.

:toast:toast:toast:toast

raspsa
04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I think it must be eating at Tony's insides that he couldn't be part of this recent spate of wins.. good, I hope he outdoes himself when he comes back but hopefully he doesn;t become a disruptive factor in this nice balance the team has achieved.. really looking forward to how Pop handles his return.

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I think it must be eating at Tony's insides that he couldn't be part of this recent spate of wins.. good, I hope he outdoes himself when he comes back but hopefully he doesn;t become a disruptive factor in this nice balance the team has achieved.. really looking forward to how Pop handles his return.

What does that even mean, "outdoes himself?" Hog the ball more than he already does? Force more bad shots? I'll believe Tony is serious about winning a title when he competes on defense and understands he can't dominate the ball on offense. Until then, he'll be the same guy we've seen all year.

DAF86
04-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Spurs are peaking despite of Tony's absence not because of it.

Ghjkll
04-04-2010, 05:46 PM
And here it goes again...We need Tony to win the championship, that´s a fact. We won today because Manu is on a tear and playing out of his mind, but you just can´t count that night in and night out for 40 minutes in every game of the playoffs.

MaNu4Tres
04-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I really hope Parker differs some of his touches to Manu when he comes back.

Usually Parker tends to get a lot more touches/looks than Manu.

Manu's touches need to stay relatively the same when Parker comes back.

ChumpDumper
04-04-2010, 05:47 PM
It's not a popular opinionIt's an extremely popular opinion among those here who hate Tony and start threads about it after every win without him.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-04-2010, 05:48 PM
horrible fucking take. We need Tony to take the load off of Tim and Manu. Manu was running on fumes today at the end.

spurs1990
04-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Did ya'll see the in-game interview with TP?

Reporter: Tony, how did you feel about the injury to George Hill?

Parker: I should be ready to play soon. I'm ready to get back on the court.

Reporter: Um, what did you think about Hill?

Parker: I want to play.

pjjrfan
04-04-2010, 05:50 PM
tony can create his own shot, and he can only help if he can get back in the flow quickly. The only drawback will be that he will recieve more and more minutes as he gets back into the flow and that will affect some of the other guys. But come playoff time Tim, tony and Manu have been together for a long time and I believe they will make it work, they have in the past for 3 titles.

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 05:52 PM
It's an extremely popular opinion among those here who hate Tony and start threads about it after every win without him.

aww. boo-hoo. i guess you care more about Parker than the Spurs winning, you douchebag.

santymrc
04-04-2010, 05:54 PM

+1 And i love your sig.

santymrc
04-04-2010, 05:55 PM

Yes.. It was weird he just didnt wanted to answer the question i guess.

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 05:58 PM
horrible fucking take. We need Tony to take the load off of Tim and Manu. Manu was running on fumes today at the end.

Taking the "load off of" them is one thing. My concern is him taking more shots than them, which always happens. Plus, the soft defense I mentioned before.

lefty
04-04-2010, 05:59 PM

What a selfish prick !!!!!! :lmao

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 06:00 PM
What a selfish prick !!!!!! :lmao

you think? he's probably getting tired of trying to explain to Eva how the Spurs can be beating the best teams while he's in a suit.

sonic21
04-04-2010, 06:03 PM
It seems you have forgotten who tony parker is... and a lot on this board have the last couple of weeks.

Sad.

lefty
04-04-2010, 06:04 PM
It seems you have forgotten who tony parker is... and a lot on this board have the last couple of weeks.

Sad.
Sacrébleu !

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Anyone who thinks Parker would handle being demoted to the bench without a fuss is dreaming. It's my single biggest concern going into the playoffs. I'm very worried he'll demand to start, Pop will appease him and it'll fuck up our chemistry.

Obviously I'd rather have Tony in the rotation than Mason, but he shouldn't be a starter.

spursfaninla
04-04-2010, 06:07 PM
SENSELESS HATE FAIL THREAD.

TP has been injured and so haters come out of hiding.

Haters say crap without backing it up with facts.

Hater assertion: TP takes bad shots.

FACT: tp shot 49% this year hurt. that is excellent, and is below his fg% the last few years, which has been 50%+.

Hater assertion: tp is a ball hog.

fact: tp has averaged 6 assists for his career, and this year he averaged 5.7 Considering that manu was out and the other players were new, it makes sense his assists would be down, but that is slight.

Spurs are playing better now, true. But TP is not the reason. It is because manu is feeling better and "clicked," because Hill has been playing above his head, and RJ is finally producing.

Hopefully all those things continue after TP returns, but don't think having a one man fast break and a 50% shooting firecracker is bad for the team. That is moronic.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Ahh, the good old Tony Parker hate after the Spurs win a game..no stats to back up the claims, nothing..very simple-minded thinking, as usual..

Look, I'm on the bandwagon of Parker coming off the bench..I wasn't before, but I am now..it's probably a better idea..please stop bringing BS here though, please..the stats don't back up most of these claims..

-George Hill's D has been just as bad as TP's during the stretch that TP has been out..this isn't arguable, it's pretty clear..Hill was getting torched routinely up until this last week or so..it's extremely tough for perimeter players to play D and have a load on offense, especially as a PG and especially with today's rules..Hill is probably the most overrated defender on this team, although he's pretty good at times, I'm just saying..Parker's D hasn't been a liability before, it won't be now, as long as he's healthy..

-I agree that Parker playing hurt did hurt the Spurs, but you can say that about Manu and TD as well..Manu was shooting less than 40% from the field for most of the 1st half of the season and taking bad shots..Duncan was playing some horrible games up until these last few weeks..TP hurts more because he handles the ball more, but it's obvious to expect an injured player to hurt the team when he's hobbled..

-Manu's hot streak has NOOOTTTTTTHHHHHHIIIIINNNNGGGG to do with Tony being out..there's absolutely no argument for this..Ginobili struggled for the entire 1st half of the season from a scoring perspective, and this was when he was coming off the bench, so he wasn't even playing with Parker most of the time..Manu's emergence is clearly the primary reason the Spurs are so hot..if Manu was playing like this earlier, of course the Spurs would have been better, he's 1/3 of our big 3..

Manu himself admitted that he had confidence issues early on due to not playing basketball for so long..he's clearly confident and healthy now, he has been for over a month now and it's paid dividends, it has nothing to do with Parker at all..these guys have won 3 titles together, I think they know how to play together..

-Jefferson is playing a lot better..this one has a little to do with TP, but not as much as you would think..RJ's assisted % has BARELY gone up since TP went out, meaning he's clearly been calling his own number offensively..he's a lot more aggressive, he's rebounding better and he's defending a lot better..this also has to do with chemistry, and it means Jefferson obviously realized he must step up in Parker's absence..

-Parker has never had a problem with touches or getting others involved..in case some people have forgotten, Tony actually SAID the Spurs need to bring in more talent, and he was one of the more excited guys about the RJ acquisition..he'll have no problems letting him get his own touches..

-Manu is old, so is Duncan..while it's always nice to have them get a lot of touches, they can't be carrying the load too much, so of course it helps to have a guy that is a top 3-5 PG in the NBA when he's healthy..these 2 aren't always going to be on their games, Parker is going to be needed to beat the better teams and exploit key mismatches..

-Parker returning means Roger Mason no longer plays..it means Bogans plays less and it means Manu doesn't have to play too many minutes, which will allow him to be fresh for 4th quarters..there have also been plenty of games where Hill has played poorly, so it obviously helps to have an all-star there in case..

-The Spurs won their last 5 games with Parker in the lineup, beating Memphis, New Orleans twice, Phoenix and OKC..the signs were starting to show before he got injured, due to the improvement and emergence of other key players..

-The Spurs 3 best lineups this season all involve Tony Parker..so while he was having an off-season until his injury, he was still valuable and there were other key guys(Manu, RJ) that were playing worse at the time..

spursfaninla
04-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Tony was saying he sees the team is hurting at his position and he wants to help. That is what he meant, I think it was pretty clear from the situation.

That is what a competitor means; manu and duncan have said similar things when the team was losing and they were on the bench.

I am sure he is not being selfish saying he wants to play personally, although ego is an important part of being a big player.

ChumpDumper
04-04-2010, 06:15 PM
aww. boo-hoo. i guess you care more about Parker than the Spurs winning, you douchebag.Aww. Boo-hoo. You definitely care more about hating Tony than the Spurs' winning, you douchebag.

Sisk

Sad.

can't repeat this enough

as DAF said.. we're winning despite missing tony, not because of it

admiralfats
manu's playing at a really high level right now. I personally wasn't that optimistic he'd ever be THIS guy again. He's surprised us.

I think we forget how good a guy is when we don't see him play at that level for a while due to injury. I think a lot of us forget how good tony can be when he's right. I want that guy playing lots of minutes on my team. Can't wait for him to get back and see what he's got going. Exciting times.

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 06:17 PM
SENSELESS HATE FAIL THREAD.

TP has been injured and so haters come out of hiding.

Haters say crap without backing it up with facts.

Hater assertion: TP takes bad shots.

FACT: tp shot 49% this year hurt. that is excellent, and is below his fg% the last few years, which has been 50%+.

Hater assertion: tp is a ball hog.

fact: tp has averaged 6 assists for his career, and this year he averaged 5.7 Considering that manu was out and the other players were new, it makes sense his assists would be down, but that is slight.

Spurs are playing better now, true. But TP is not the reason. It is because manu is feeling better and "clicked," because Hill has been playing above his head, and RJ is finally producing.

Hopefully all those things continue after TP returns, but don't think having a one man fast break and a 50% shooting firecracker is bad for the team. That is moronic.

Um, 49% isn't too hot for a guard who very seldom shoots 3s. Basically it means we get 2 pts for every 2 shots he takes. Guys like Bonner and Hill have better rates than that because they shoot over 35% from three. Also, FT%-wise, TP is pretty average for a guard.

As for his passing, 6 apg isn't too impressive for a guy who has the ball 35+ mins a night. And his assist-to-turnover ratio is a career worst.

santymrc
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Stop the hate for once plz, im fucking tired of reading hate threads after a huge W.

WTF is wrong with you guys.

Ice009
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Well Phila_Chamberlain just said in another thread that Hill is on crutches and it doesn't seem like he can put any weight on the foot.

All you people saying we don't need TP are not thinking very clearly. We need him back for sure even before this Hill injury, I don't know about starting him with our current chemistry, but we definitely NEED TP.

ChumpDumper
04-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Um, 49% isn't too hot for a guard who very seldom shoots 3s.:lmao

We are talking about basketball here, right?

dbreiden83080
04-04-2010, 06:20 PM
He's played like shit most of the season largely bcause he was banged up from all that fuckin national play. We've played the best ball all year with him gone. Him coming back, may kill the chemistry..

Ice009
04-04-2010, 06:22 PM
He's played like shit most of the season largely bcause he was banged up from all that fuckin national play. We've played the best ball all year with him gone. Him coming back, may kill the chemistry..

What the fuck are you guys on?

TP was starting to lock in and his FOCUS was going right up before he was injured. I think he was feeling better physically too so he was starting to play better.

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Aww. Boo-hoo. You definitely care more about hating Tony than the Spurs' winning, you douchebag.

How much winning were we doing with him exactly? I'm just going by the facts. However it happened, whatever twist of fate it was, this group stumbled into a winning formula and a good starting five.

The starting five when Tony was in was getting killed almost every game. Is that incorrect?

DAF86
04-04-2010, 06:24 PM
TP did what Ginobili is doing right now last year when Manu went down and helped us get a 3 seed. A little memory please.

Bukefal
04-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Sad.

+1

Another thread like this again. Why the hate peskypesky? Some reactions are indeed really sad.

Of course we need TP, yeah we won without him, that's awesome and great, Manu really surprised and stepped up, he carried this team like TP carried us last year. But still, we need TP, especially in the playoffs if we want to have any success. We miss a boosting force in points/offense, there is a gap, and it needs to be filled, plus it would take the heavy load off Manu.

ChumpDumper
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
How much winning were we doing with him exactly? I'm just going by the facts.Yeah "facts" like this one:
Um, 49% isn't too hot for a guard who very seldom shoots 3s.:rollin

easy7
04-04-2010, 06:30 PM
It might just be me but I would rather have Manu, Tony and Tim running at 100% than Tim, Manu and RJ (or someone else) running at 100%.

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 06:31 PM
:lmao

We are talking about basketball here, right?

he's tied on our team at 1.26 PPS, with RJ and Hairston. Bonner is at 1.25.

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Hey Chump, seriously how many guards who play as many mins as Tony shoot fewer threes? Rondo? Anyone else?

ChumpDumper
04-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey Chump, seriously how many guards who play as many mins as Tony shoot fewer threes? Rondo? Anyone else?That wasn't what you said. Do I need to quote it again for you?

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 06:39 PM
That wasn't what you said. Do I need to quote it again for you?

I know what I wrote. But obviously other guards have their percentages affected by the threes they take. Tony doesn't have that excuse. Find me what his points per shot ranks in the NBA.

ChumpDumper
04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I know what I wrote.I don't think you do. Otherwise you would realize what a stupid thing it was to write.

jag
04-04-2010, 06:44 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150233

This peskypesky guy is pushing really hard to be one of the least knowledgeable posters on Spurstalk.

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 06:46 PM
it's not just the shots you take, it's how many they count for.

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Tony can go 5 for 10 and get 10 points and some three point shooter can go 4 for 10 and get 12, but in Chump's magical world, 10 > 12. Savvy.

jag
04-04-2010, 06:50 PM

"it's how many they count for."

....it's how many they count for

:lmao

Tony can go 5 for 10 and get 10 points and some three point shooter can go 4 for 10 and get 12, but in Chump's magical world, 10 > 12. Savvy.

please stop

roycrikside
04-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Anyway, the math lesson is over for today Gotta get back to work. Great win for the Spurs and hopefully Hill won't be out too long.

ChumpDumper
04-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Tony can go 5 for 10 and get 10 points and some three point shooter can go 4 for 10 and get 12, but in Chump's magical world, 10 > 12. Savvy.In your magical world:
49% isn't too hot for a guard who very seldom shoots 3s.

Cry Havoc
04-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Yeah, I mean it's not like Parker only scores. His drives are only worth points to us. They aren't worth collapsing the defense for an easy kick out to a wing player for an open three, they aren't worth getting the opposing PF to pick up his 2nd/3rd foul in the 1st half, they aren't worth the mentality that the opposition has to assume (crap, this guy can take three steps from the arc and be at the rim, we gotta watch him), and the CERTAINLY aren't worth the And-1s you aren't including when Tony goes to the line.

Keep posting with your current head-in-the-sand method, please. It makes you so easy to refute. Gotta love people who use a single stat to back up why they feel a player sucks.

Actually, no, just GTFO. We want real Spurs fans here.

Sisk
04-04-2010, 07:07 PM
peskypesky should team up with DMX7 to rule the planet.

jag
04-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I mean it's not like Parker only scores. His drives are only worth points to us. They aren't worth collapsing the defense for an easy kick out to a wing player for an open three, they aren't worth getting the opposing PF to pick up his 2nd/3rd foul in the 1st half, they aren't worth the mentality that the opposition has to assume (crap, this guy can take three steps from the arc and be at the rim, we gotta watch him), and the CERTAINLY aren't worth the And-1s you aren't including when Tony goes to the line.

Keep posting with your current head-in-the-sand method, please. It makes you so easy to refute. Gotta love people who use a single stat to back up why they feel a player sucks.

Actually, no, just GTFO. We want real Spurs fans here.

It's not even worth trying to talk sense into to "fans" like that. If you don't get the game, you don't get the game. It's ridiculous.

rascal
Can't beat the lakers in the playoffs.

Brazil
Hell yeah ! a TP haters party !

it rocks !

:danceclub:danceclub:danceclub

Lefty is invited too ! man it has been hard for you to keep on containing your hate ! Now you are free, unfortunately Real Madrid lost miserably, if not it would have been a hell of a year...

Instead of these stupid threads, we all should be exited to see the team winning without one of the big 3 and we all should be exited to have the first opportunity since 2007 to have the big 3 healthy but no it is more fun to throw one of our player under the bus.

this not sad this is just stupid

santymrc
04-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Well GH's injury makes this thread more stupid.

But, there are some things to consider, one of them is TP defense. He has to step up big time now if GH is gonna be in the IR list for a couple weeks. And it would be nice if he can work out in the summer a legit 3 pointer from anywhere (top-bottom etc) in the field.
Defense first, we know he can score, get double teams etc, but he gotta step up on D. He's been our worst defender this season, in help D (missing tons of rotations, even Manu barked at him many times this year couse of that) and 1 - on - 1 D.
If he gets that, we contend again.
Then, next year, i want to see him hitting 3's, he might be the only star PG in the history of the NBA that can't make-take 3's.

I love TP, btw.

Cry Havoc
04-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Can't beat the lakers in the playoffs.

http://eighty1.net/images/misc/stopposting/STFU-Stop_Posting.jpg

http://corndogger.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/stop-posting-animated.gif

http://corndogger.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/stop-posting-cat.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/BBBJustin/Forums/stop_posting.jpg

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/2/25982/877267-you_stop_posting_shit_super.jpg

Idiot.

oski1000
04-04-2010, 07:16 PM

TRADE THAT SELFISH FRENCH !!!! :ihit:ihit

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 07:32 PM
TRADE THAT SELFISH FRENCH !!!! :ihit:ihit

lol

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 07:35 PM
chumpdumper and a few other Parker-nutsuckers can't face the facts that the Spurs without Tony are kicking ass and notching wins on the best teams in the NBA. they are on a tear. the Spurs' chemistry sans Parker is a thing of beauty, but some fans would rather have Parker come back and fuck everything up. and it's not about hating Parker, it's about loving the fact that we're kicking ass without him.

DesignatedT
04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
So are people going to start saying we are a better team without George Hill? We played great and beat the Lakers without him in the 2nd half....

Fuckin retarded. We are a better team with tony and with george. We are not winning anything without either of them. Manu has been playing out of his mind recently which has made us a better team... that isn't going to stop.

Sean Cagney
04-04-2010, 07:40 PM
chumpdumper and a few other Parker-nutsuckers can't face the facts that the Spurs without Tony are kicking ass and notching wins on the best teams in the NBA. they are on a tear. the Spurs' chemistry sans Parker is a thing of beauty, but some fans would rather have Parker come back and fuck everything up. and it's not about hating Parker, it's about loving the fact that we're kicking ass without him.

Welp with Hill out now it would not hurt seeing him back soon! Infact is there another choice now?

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Is this team better without George Hill? We played great and beat the Lakers without him in the 2nd half....

This is fucking retarded. We are a better team with tony and with george. We are not winning anything without either of them. Manu has been playing out of his mind recently which has made us a better team... that isn't going to stop.

if it's fucking retarded to beat the Cavs, Celtics, Magic, and Lakers in a two week stretch, than i'd rather be retarded than a genius like you. don't you realize that the reason everyone's playing better is because the little Frenchie is not on the floor controlling the ball? you want to argue with success, fine. i won't. i hope Parker stays in a suit the rest of the season.

Brazil
04-04-2010, 07:45 PM
So are people going to start saying we are a better team without George Hill? We played great and beat the Lakers without him in the 2nd half....

Fuckin retarded. We are a better team with tony and with george. We are not winning anything without either of them. Manu has been playing out of his mind recently which has made us a better team... that isn't going to stop.

too logical ! we won because TP sucks, Hill was not there during the 2nd half, bench his ass, in fact we should put only Manu in the starting 5.

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 07:49 PM
too logical ! we won because TP sucks, Hill was not there during the 2nd half, bench his ass, in fact we should put only Manu in the starting 5.

i'm not talking about one game, dumbass. i'm talking about a series of wins against the best teams in the NBA. have you had your head shoved up Parker's ass the past few weeks or something?

DesignatedT
04-04-2010, 07:49 PM
if it's fucking retarded to beat the Cavs, Celtics, Magic, and Lakers in a two week stretch, than i'd rather be retarded than a genius like you. don't you realize that the reason everyone's playing better is because the little Frenchie is not on the floor controlling the ball? you want to argue with success, fine. i won't. i hope Parker stays in a suit the rest of the season.

You are an idiot. We have won recently because are backs have been against the wall and frankly there was no other alternative.. It was either win or miss the playoffs... which made everybody on the team try a lot harder and give a much bigger effort.

Im not denying the fact that we have beat some great teams without Tony but that has come with the re-emergence of Manu Ginobili. The man is possessed right now and probably playing the best basketball of his career. Tony coming back shouldn't effect this and if anything it could open things up even more for Manu.

Manu will still have the ball in his hands during every crucial moment in the game.

peskypesky
04-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm not denying the fact that we have beat some great teams without Tony but that has come with the re-emergence of Manu Ginobili. The man is possessed right now and probably playing the best basketball of his career. Tony coming back shouldn't effect this and if anything it could open things up even more for Manu.

wtf?? are you serious? you don't think Tony coming back is going to affect Manu's touches? lmao. you're a moron.

DesignatedT
04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
wtf?? are you serious? you don't think Tony coming back is going to affect Manu's touches? lmao. you're a moron.

I didn't say it wouldn't affect his touches but that necessarily isn't a bad thing, plus if pop balances it out to where they aren't on the court at the same time the whole game, him coming back is going to benefit the spurs tremendously. Manu needs to stay like this also... don't forget that he isn't exactly a "young" player.. If we are able to give him some rest without the team going into complete meltdown mode that is only going to help manu down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Brazil
04-04-2010, 08:00 PM
i'm not talking about one game, dumbass. i'm talking about a series of wins against the best teams in the NBA. have you had your head shoved up Parker's ass the past few weeks or something?

On top of being a huge idiot you apparently have the tourette syndrom, I feel for you, it must be difficult.

rascal
04-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Teams are coasting now not even caring about winning. You are putting too much in this hot run. New season when the playoffs start.

I knew fools like you would be suckered into believing the spurs are serious title contenders.

spursfan09
04-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Some of ya'll are stupid. When Parker comes back, it'll be a good thing.

FeZZy
04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
this thread sucks

Cry Havoc
04-04-2010, 08:08 PM
It's definitely Parker's fault that Manu's production was down this year.

I mean, Manu was HORRIBLE in 2005, right?

Right?

jestersmash
04-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Ahh, the good old Tony Parker hate after the Spurs win a game..no stats to back up the claims, nothing..very simple-minded thinking, as usual..

Look, I'm on the bandwagon of Parker coming off the bench..I wasn't before, but I am now..it's probably a better idea..please stop bringing BS here though, please..the stats don't back up most of these claims..

-George Hill's D has been just as bad as TP's during the stretch that TP has been out..this isn't arguable, it's pretty clear..Hill was getting torched routinely up until this last week or so..it's extremely tough for perimeter players to play D and have a load on offense, especially as a PG and especially with today's rules..Hill is probably the most overrated defender on this team, although he's pretty good at times, I'm just saying..Parker's D hasn't been a liability before, it won't be now, as long as he's healthy..

-I agree that Parker playing hurt did hurt the Spurs, but you can say that about Manu and TD as well..Manu was shooting less than 40% from the field for most of the 1st half of the season and taking bad shots..Duncan was playing some horrible games up until these last few weeks..TP hurts more because he handles the ball more, but it's obvious to expect an injured player to hurt the team when he's hobbled..

-Manu's hot streak has NOOOTTTTTTHHHHHHIIIIINNNNGGGG to do with Tony being out..there's absolutely no argument for this..Ginobili struggled for the entire 1st half of the season from a scoring perspective, and this was when he was coming off the bench, so he wasn't even playing with Parker most of the time..Manu's emergence is clearly the primary reason the Spurs are so hot..if Manu was playing like this earlier, of course the Spurs would have been better, he's 1/3 of our big 3..

Manu himself admitted that he had confidence issues early on due to not playing basketball for so long..he's clearly confident and healthy now, he has been for over a month now and it's paid dividends, it has nothing to do with Parker at all..these guys have won 3 titles together, I think they know how to play together..

-Jefferson is playing a lot better..this one has a little to do with TP, but not as much as you would think..RJ's assisted % has BARELY gone up since TP went out, meaning he's clearly been calling his own number offensively..he's a lot more aggressive, he's rebounding better and he's defending a lot better..this also has to do with chemistry, and it means Jefferson obviously realized he must step up in Parker's absence..

-Parker has never had a problem with touches or getting others involved..in case some people have forgotten, Tony actually SAID the Spurs need to bring in more talent, and he was one of the more excited guys about the RJ acquisition..he'll have no problems letting him get his own touches..

-Manu is old, so is Duncan..while it's always nice to have them get a lot of touches, they can't be carrying the load too much, so of course it helps to have a guy that is a top 3-5 PG in the NBA when he's healthy..these 2 aren't always going to be on their games, Parker is going to be needed to beat the better teams and exploit key mismatches..

-Parker returning means Roger Mason no longer plays..it means Bogans plays less and it means Manu doesn't have to play too many minutes, which will allow him to be fresh for 4th quarters..there have also been plenty of games where Hill has played poorly, so it obviously helps to have an all-star there in case..

-The Spurs won their last 5 games with Parker in the lineup, beating Memphis, New Orleans twice, Phoenix and OKC..the signs were starting to show before he got injured, due to the improvement and emergence of other key players..

-The Spurs 3 best lineups this season all involve Tony Parker..so while he was having an off-season until his injury, he was still valuable and there were other key guys(Manu, RJ) that were playing worse at the time..

Didn't read the rest of this thread, but this post is 100% correct and that's all any of ya'll need to know.

Dr. Gonzo
04-05-2010, 12:28 AM
I just don't like Parker. He seems like a douche to me, but his return will help. The rest he has gotten should help him during the playoffs. I just hope it doesn't fuck up the chemistry they have now.

Refocus
04-05-2010, 12:28 AM
this thread sucks

:tu

ducks
04-05-2010, 12:29 AM
We've beaten the Cavs, Celtics, Magic & Lakers and who else with Parker's soft ass in a suit?

I like our chances as long as he doesn't suit up.

lost to the nets without tp to:downspin:
and lost to the cavs with out him to

Josepatches_
04-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Tony has to play like George Hill does. He's better so we must be a better team.But he has to improve his defense.

We will be in trouble if Tony wants to play like he always did and he wants to be the leader of the team.Manu has to take that role and Manu has to run the offense.
Manu is playing better than the best Tony did.Manu is playing in a higher level.Not only scoring when Tony is pretty good.

So it will be stupid if Manu returns to his previous role last 2-3 season when Tony comes back.

Sean Cagney
04-05-2010, 02:29 AM
I just don't like Parker. He seems like a douche to me, but his return will help. The rest he has gotten should help him during the playoffs. I just hope it doesn't fuck up the chemistry they have now.

Like him or not he is the best PG on this team and we can't win it all without him! Hell we can't go deep without him here! He was lights out last year with TD banged up and GINO hurt, he held us down! Respect Tony.
lost to the nets without tp to:downspin:
and lost to the cavs with out him to

I am a Parker fan as you, but we lost to the Nets without Gino too! Beat all those other big teams with Manu and Tony out! I know you hate Gino and post dumb shit all the time, but seriuosly he is as big as Tony is here and as Tim is!!!!!!!!!!!! We need all three to win a title, as much as you will not admit it.

baseline bum
04-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Gotta love when the kids break into mom's Boones Farm stash and then think anyone here gives a shit about their drunken ramblings.

mingus
04-05-2010, 02:45 AM
stupid thread

manu needs parker and so does duncan. they can't, esp. manu, continue at the rate they're on w/o him. we've seen what results from it: injuries and wear and tear. Manu is still relatively fresh from having missed part of the season and because he wasn't playing a lot early on. he can't continue what he's doing, and history shows that. this team needs parker if they want to remain healthy, and they'll need him to adapt somehow if they want to compete for a championship.

ChumpDumper
04-05-2010, 03:46 AM
The great thing is that the people blaming Parker for the early season struggles are trying to pretend that Manu played like he is playing now the entire year and it was only Tony that was holding him back.

You are idiots. There really isn't much more to say.

L.I.T
04-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Tony has to play like George Hill does. He's better so we must be a better team.But he has to improve his defense.

We will be in trouble if Tony wants to play like he always did and he wants to be the leader of the team.Manu has to take that role and Manu has to run the offense.
Manu is playing better than the best Tony did.Manu is playing in a higher level.Not only scoring when Tony is pretty good.

So it will be stupid if Manu returns to his previous role last 2-3 season when Tony comes back.

So, you'd prefer a Finals MVP, three-time NBA champion to come in and play like a 2nd year undersized SG with (and this point in his career) overrated defensive skills and less court vision than Jacque Vaughn?

By the way, three seasons ago they won the championship (2007). If the big three returned to that level of play I would be quite happy. Unless, you're one of those one player only fans who try and masquerade as a Spurs fan?

gilmor
04-05-2010, 04:30 AM
I don't know what is the deal with this great hate of Parker?

Look at last season games, we went 54-28 and Parker was arguably the chief contributor and highest scorer in most of these games. I would say we achieve 54-28 mostly because of Parker last year.

This year Manu is doing the same. Whereas there is a general love for Manu, why can't there be some love for Parker?

This just doesn't make sense. They guy played his heart out and all he got from you fans is just some unappreciative hatred..

Beat the hell out of me man..

timtonymanu
04-05-2010, 04:57 AM

:tu Best post on this thread. People forget that this team was starting to look better before Parker went down. Shit when Parker got hurt, people were saying the season was lost. But now that the Spurs have gone on a run like expected, Parker is a trade asset now.

ChumpDumper
04-05-2010, 06:08 AM
So it will be stupid if Manu returns to his previous role last 2-3 season when Tony comes back.You mean injured and out of the playoffs?

If he's not injured, that would be incredibly stupid.

What you want is for Tony to be injured and out of the playoffs.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Well GH's injury makes this thread more stupid.

But, there are some things to consider, one of them is TP defense. He has to step up big time now if GH is gonna be in the IR list for a couple weeks. And it would be nice if he can work out in the summer a legit 3 pointer from anywhere (top-bottom etc) in the field.
Defense first, we know he can score, get double teams etc, but he gotta step up on D. He's been our worst defender this season, in help D (missing tons of rotations, even Manu barked at him many times this year couse of that) and 1 - on - 1 D.
If he gets that, we contend again.
Then, next year, i want to see him hitting 3's, he might be the only star PG in the history of the NBA that can't make-take 3's.

I love TP, btw.

Yup. Hill's defense and tenacity this year has blown away Parker and his offensive game is gaining ground. It's way better than Parker's pre-planar fascitis defense even.

I hope this long stint on the bench and watching the spurs' chemistry come together has made it clear to Parker that he isn't the end-all-be-all for the spurs. Time to step up your game Mr Parker.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 08:29 AM
I didn't say it wouldn't affect his touches but that necessarily isn't a bad thing, plus if pop balances it out to where they aren't on the court at the same time the whole game, him coming back is going to benefit the spurs tremendously. Manu needs to stay like this also... don't forget that he isn't exactly a "young" player.. If we are able to give him some rest without the team going into complete meltdown mode that is only going to help manu down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Yah, IF... big word there. That's what we're all waiting to find out is where Pop is going to situate Manu once Parker comes back, will he leave him in the starting lineup or bring him off the bench again?

I think Manu should stay in the starting lineup. Even Breen/Collins were talking about that in the 1st half, and they thought it would in the spurs' best interests to keep Manu in the starting lineup.

phyzik
04-05-2010, 08:41 AM
We need Tony back for the playoffs. People that think otherwise are flat out idiots.

That interview during the game was a little wierd though, I chalk it up more to "going through the motions". Tony probably wasnt paying attention to what she was asking and was just regurgitating the same answer to the same question he has been asked since the injury.

ElNono
04-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Even a hobbled Parker would be a huge contributor right now. He can give you at the very least 10-15 points a night. He's got a rep with refs already plus he knows the system.
I'm not even sold he needs to come off the bench. The reality is that Tony is the master of the pick and roll, and Tim is the only big we have that really takes full advantage of that play with him. This has very little to do with Tony, and everything to do with our other bigs.
Now, I fully agree we should start our best players, then try to keep at least one of the big 3 at all times in the game.

Manu-of-steel
04-05-2010, 08:55 AM
:tu Best post on this thread. People forget that this team was starting to look better before Parker went down. Shit when Parker got hurt, people were saying the season was lost. But now that the Spurs have gone on a run like expected, Parker is a trade asset now.

It's a cycle, dude. When TP was and TD were having good games and Manu was not playing ok, some posters here wanted to trade Manu for peanuts. Now that Manu is beasting, and TP is injured, some people here are criticizing TP.
I'm a Manu fan, but I believe that for the spurs to get to the top, we need all of them to be playing healthy. Stop the hating, we need to support ALL our players.

TimDunkem
04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
yep. Parker KILLS our ball movement on offense. And he's soft on D. Facts is facts.
Tim and Manu still need to be kept fresh for the playoffs. For me, this, along with the fact that Tony is so dominate with the ball, is the reason why he should come off the bench.

stéphane
04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Wow, has been a while. That's a great bunch of retarded posts we got here.

The discussion about Tony being brought of the bench as the sixth man was interesting and had a tactical meaning behind it but then you get this thread.

Just retarded pure hate for a player that was a determining part of three Spurs titles. He's been the core of this team with Tim and Manu for 3 effing chips.
Pay the guy respect at least for what he's accomplished or wait you prefer thinking he's crap just because we won 10 of 15 something games without him. Nuf said.

You are just a shame to the spurs fanbase.

portnoy1
04-05-2010, 09:17 AM
TP watchin from the bench for the last few weeks might be a good thing. No doubt he feels the pressure and he probably knows that if he comes back and the Spurs start losing he will get ALL the blame. Without him the Spurs run a motion-offense and move the ball from side to side, while still running pick n rolls on some possesions. With Parker its either an isolation for Tim or the usual high pick n roll with parker. Parkers pick n roll is pretty affective, however it doesnt promote ball movement and guys like RJ thrive in a system that requires off the ball movement. For RJ to be affective he needs to get different looks on the offense. Lets say RJ takes 10shots a game, its has to be 6shots in transition and cuts (in motion basically) 2-3 spot ups and 1-2 post up plays if their is an advantage. If Parker can look for him in the open court when he leaks out of when he has a smaller player on him in the post then TP will work out just fine, cause thats really where the problem is, its between RJ and TP. Getting solid, effecient production from both of them makes these team much better.

raspsa
04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Its going to take all of the Big 3 plus help off the bench if the Spurs are to go deep into the POs. Its still a team game and it will take a team effort to get the job done. You don't ignore what good things Tony brings to the table. The challenge for Pop is to work Tony back into the flow of things as seamlessly as possible. Specially with GHill unavailable for the foreseeable future, its more important than ever that everyone carries a share of the load lest you risk burning out or injuring Timmy and Manu in particular.
Trust in the players and coaching staff guys. Its going to be a hell of a ride.

Cry Havoc
04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
It's a cycle, dude. When TP was and TD were having good games and Manu was not playing ok, some posters here wanted to trade Manu for peanuts. Now that Manu is beasting, and TP is injured, some people here are criticizing TP.
I'm a Manu fan, but I believe that for the spurs to get to the top, we need all of them to be playing healthy. Stop the hating, we need to support ALL our players.

No way. Parker gets 10x the hate of any other Spurs player.

jag
04-05-2010, 12:02 PM
No way. Parker gets 10x the hate of any other Spurs player.

It's actually kinda strange how that works. All these fans feel like Parker owes them something. The guy has been a huge part of 3 titles, and people think he's a "douche bag" for not walking around speaking spanish.

baseline bum
04-05-2010, 01:08 PM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1824/thread_sucks.jpg

Macca76
04-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Thanks for bringing some facts and knowledge in this stupid thread ! :toast