PDA

View Full Version : Hell Yes

Spurminator
04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't want to overrate a regular season win but there were so many things in this game that excite me heading into the Playoffs.

Pop outcoached PJ
It doesn't happen often anymore, but Pop coached a perfect game today. The rotations were solid and the offensive gameplan - pick 'n' roll or 4-down Gasol to death - was perfect. He threw all of the right looks at Kobe. A defensive focus, a consistent and effective offense... classic Spurs Basketball. Meanwhile, Phil couldn't find the Kryptonite to rein in Supermanu.

Duncan
Aside from a few times giving up second chances on the boards, Timmy looked fantastic. He was aggressive on the block and made great decisions with the ball. Despite a decline in regular season numbers the last few years he's always turned it back on for the Playoffs. It looks like his game is rounding back into form at just the right time.

Defense
Great performances all around, especially from Bogans. Pau was able to torch us inside but the Spurs made sure Kobe didn't get into a rhythm, and they didn't let anyone from the Lakers' supporting cast go off.

No Dying By the Three
The Spurs shot 27 threes in the previous loss to LA. This time they shot 18. But more important than how many they took was how they set them up. Instead of settling into a habit of running our offense around the open threes the Lakers are basically asking them to take, they created opportunities with motion and multiple passes, and they took their shots with confidence.

Manu
Give this man whatever he wants in the offseason. Even with his age and questionable health prospects, the Spurs will not find a comparable player in free agency. Screw three years, lock him up long term. He may not be able to dunk in three years but his basketball IQ and his guts are irreplaceable.

The Spurs are looking good right now. Hopefully Parker can return with minimal disruption to the chemistry they've built since March. If so, the Spurs are going to be dangerous, and in a Conference with the parity to have seven of eight Playoff teams within 3 games of each other, anything can happen.

FeZZy
04-04-2010, 06:00 PM
:tu

EricB
04-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I really don't think the top half of the western conference is as great as everyone thinks.

The Lakers bench KILLS them. Just KILLS them.

The Mavericks are good but not awesome.

Denver is in a free fall. Utah can be beat their mental toughness is horrible.

If Parker can come back, integrate well and Hill not miss much time, keep everyone else healthy, then IMO, this team can do as good as it wants. No limits.

poop
04-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I really don't think the top half of the western conference is as great as everyone thinks.

The Lakers bench KILLS them. Just KILLS them.

The Mavericks are good but not awesome.

Denver is in a free fall. Utah can be beat their mental toughness is horrible.

If Parker can come back, integrate well and Hill not miss much time, keep everyone else healthy, then IMO, this team can do as good as it wants. No limits.

true but also the NUMBER ONE thing is Manu. we can play at this level only as long as he is on the floor playing at 100%. as Manu goes, so goes this team.

EricB
04-04-2010, 06:35 PM
true but also the NUMBER ONE thing is Manu. we can play at this level only as long as he is on the floor playing at 100%. as Manu goes, so goes this team.

As of right now, no question.

If Manu can just stay healthy, that will be great.

Fingers crossed.

Avitus1
04-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Heck yes I think that the Spurs have really come around just in time to go into the Playoffs and upset some teams.

EricB
04-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Pop outcoached PJ
It doesn't happen often anymore, but Pop coached a perfect game today. The rotations were solid and the offensive gameplan - pick 'n' roll or 4-down Gasol to death - was perfect. He threw all of the right looks at Kobe. A defensive focus, a consistent and effective offense... classic Spurs Basketball. Meanwhile, Phil couldn't find the Kryptonite to rein in Supermanu.

This right here is what gives me hope.

It hasn't been happening just today, its been happening for the past 20 games.

IMO if Pop keeps coaching well, Big three health and George's injury isn't too bad, then IMO again, they can go as far as they want.

jag
04-04-2010, 06:39 PM

This is the most important thing in determining how far the Spurs go in the PO. One has to wonder if chemistry issues will resume once TP comes back.

EricB
04-04-2010, 06:55 PM
This is the most important thing in determining how far the Spurs go in the PO. One has to wonder if chemistry issues will resume once TP comes back.

I don't thik Tony Parker is the big chemistry killer than every one believes.

Has never been in the past, and don't think he's now.

DPG21920
04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Losing Hill hurts.

duncan228
04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Manu, post game.

It was an unbelievable victory. Two months ago, it wasn’t even in our wildest dreams to come here and win a game by 18 against the Lakers. But we’re doing better now and we’re playing hard. Our defense has really stepped up, and the difference was that we made the shots we had to make.

We struggled for half of the season or a little more, but now we are playing better. Even though we’re in the seventh spot and it’s not going to be easy, we know now that nobody’s that much better than us. So that’s a big thing in your head.

Even though you don’t like to get a T, it helps sometimes because they’re trying to mess with you and get you off your game. That means that you’re important.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Pop did out coach PJ. But I'm 99% sure that Phil was wasted judging by his 4th quarter interview

mytespurs
04-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I didn't watch the game but I have a question (a tiny wet blanket)....

Is it possible that PJ, knowing that he may face us again in the 1st round, held back? Spurs are fighting for the playoffs here....and they want to move up as much as possible. Lakers are set so......still, you want to be in sync going into the playoffs so PJ, Kobe can't be too happy about the recent up and down play.

Did Pop show his hand too much?

EricB
04-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Damn Manus a fucking pimp.

THose postgame comments are awesome.

I hope the whole team shares that sentiment and that swagger right now.

Go kick the shit out of Sacramento, beat Phoenix and finish the season DAMN good.

Doe
04-04-2010, 07:13 PM
This was an awesome win, the team defense has been especially impressive that last few games against elite teams.

On a slightly unrelated note, I made fun of RC's comment after the trade deadline, where he essentially said he expected the team to gel in the next 30 days. Well, right now he's looking like Nostradamus.

The Truth #6
04-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Blows. He was fitting in well with Manu. And he helped set the defensive tone.

EricB
04-04-2010, 07:22 PM
This was an awesome win, the team defense has been especially impressive that last few games against elite teams.

On a slightly unrelated note, I made fun of RC's comment after the trade deadline, where he essentially said he expected the team to gel in the next 30 days. Well, right now he's looking like Nostradamus.

Around that time you could see some things turning around a bit.

Would love to have those games against Philly and Detroit and New Jersey back.

Those 3 games would've put them in first place right now.

Spursmania
04-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I didn't watch the game but I have a question (a tiny wet blanket)....

Is it possible that PJ, knowing that he may face us again in the 1st round, held back? Spurs are fighting for the playoffs here....and they want to move up as much as possible. Lakers are set so......still, you want to be in sync going into the playoffs so PJ, Kobe can't be too happy about the recent up and down play.

Did Pop show his hand too much?

I don't think so. The Spurs needed this one win as much as us fans. The team needed to believe they could beat this Laker team. This was a damn good win and a much needed one.

DesignatedT
04-04-2010, 07:26 PM
So many positives out of this game. Just an excellent win. only negative was georges injury

Brazil
04-04-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm just exited as hell to have for the first time since 2007 a full healthy big 3 !

If Tim can continue this kind effort, if Manu keeps on beasting and TP can quickly contribute, we have a PO run in the making.

DJ Mbenga
04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
lakers died by the 3 this game as opposed to the last matchup

Spurminator
04-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Lakers died by Gasol. The Spurs pretty much took everyone else out of the game and made this game SA vs. Pau Gasol. And he lost.

bigfan
04-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Every year there is one regular season game that I will really enjoy, really remember with pleasure. Today was that game for this season. Well done Spurs.

EricB
04-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Lakers died by Gasol. The Spurs pretty much took everyone else out of the game and made this game SA vs. Pau Gasol. And he lost.

Good strategy IMO when you've got 21 guarding him on top of it.