PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Lakers Game)

duncan228
04-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Post Game Quotes (Lakers Game) (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/100404.html)

Gregg Popovich

On today's game - "Good win for us obviously against the best team in the West. Particular satisfaction in that, but it's just one game. I'm just glad we played well enough to win."

On Manu Ginobili - "He's been playing All-Star caliber basketball for about a month and a half now. He's taken over the team. He's done a great job."

On Manu Ginobili not backing off when the game got a little bit physical - "Manu never backs off in his life. He's won NBA championships, and world championships, and Olympic championships. He's a veteran winner for a long long time so he's not going to back off from anything."

On the team playing without any true point guard - "I give a little bit of credit to Manu. He kept us together. We just switched off between going to him and going to Timmy. They played together well. A little worried about everything that's coming up now without George. It's going to be difficult to sustain that and have Manu play the point in all these games coming up. So we'll have to figure something out."

On the team's play this season - "I think contribute that to the character of the guys. We've had a pretty mediocre year up until the last month and a half and they never gave in. They just continued to try to get better. Now they are playing their best basketball. I feel badly for them that the injuries are hitting them this late in the year, but they seem to be able to ignore it and continue to play."

On Tim Duncan - "It was great to see him be creative again tonight. He found ways to use the left hand; he used the jump-hook; he shot jumpers. He did a good job of varying his offense. That's when he's at his best when he does that."

Manu Ginobili

On today's win - "Unbelievable victory. I would say like two months ago it wasn't even in our wildest dreams to win a game by 18 against the Lakers. And now we're doing better. We're playing hard. Our defense really stepped up. We made the shots we had to make."

On the Lakers - "They're a solid team. They have so many weapons. Today, they missed big shots. They are always coming back. They're going to keep fighting. They're going to keep playing. They hustle. They play hard defense too. They are a tough team."

On whether today's win would help the Spurs in a potential series against the Lakers in the playoffs - "I don't think so. Playoffs is a totally different story. I don't think it would really count. Actually it would really make them more upset. Playoffs, everybody starts from scratch."

Tim Duncan

On the state of his team - "A real good stretch for us. Unfortunate with the health problems we're having right now. Guys are getting banged up and injured right now. All in all just playing good basketball and getting some good wins on the road."

On the injuries piling up at point guard - "I've been willing to play point guard for about 12 years now. I might finally get my chance."

On the importance of today's win - "It's huge for us. We're not even worried about the playoff race. We're just game to game worrying about the wins, who we're playing, things like that. Huge win for us to stay where we're at. As I said we're just going to continue to build on it."

Phil Jackson

On today's game - "It was a flat game from the middle of the second quarter on. Defensively we had a hard time getting the game where we wanted it to be. We had a pretty good start and the game looked like it was going to swing in our favor, but they got things going their way and it stayed."

On Lakers bench play today - "It was unfortunate for us. We couldn't get them going tonight and we had to mess with our minutes for a while. Things were not going well out there so they could not get a consistent run at times. They played for shorter minutes. Six and five [minutes] so it was a consequence that they didn't really get in the flow of the game. We had too many things going on out there that were not right."

On Lakers offensive play today - "They took away a lot of pass opportunities for us and they did a really good job that way. Our reactive passes and subsequent reactions to that I thought were appropriate. As consequence we got out of rhythm. Pau was terrific all day and I actually probably wore him down a bit more than I wanted to."

On Ron Artest 3-point shots - "He has not found a consistent shot. He has not been able to get consistent with that 3-point shot right now. He has been pretty good during the year."

On possibly facing the Spurs in the playoffs - "We helped them out today, but I don't think that will be an end result every time. They played pretty well so we will see."

On how to run of the offense better in games like today's - "It is how you run your offense. A lot of today was standing around like Pau and getting shots in isolation and there are not a whole lot of second chance opportunities from that. Some of the rhythm shots are opportunities but we didn't make them. We did not make the opportunities for ourselves."

Kobe Bryant

On what went wrong today - "We just missed too many opportunities."

On this game foreshadowing physical play because of the potential postseason matchup - "It don't matter. We don't care who it is, whether it's San Antonio, Portland or Oklahoma (City). We're going to play our basketball and it will be chippy in there."

On how the Spurs were able to pull away and hold the lead throughout today's game - "I think they controlled the tempo today. This was their tempo, from the beginning. You know, we can play both styles. But we didn't make shots tonight. I think, defensively, we did a good job. There were stretches with opportunities to get back in the ball game and we just couldn't put the ball in the hole."

On if his injured fingered affected his shooting performance - "No. I just missed a lot of opportunities and I can live with that. I'm going to get those looks in the playoffs and I'll take my chances there."

Pau Gasol

On today's game - "We lost a little bit of control of the game in the second quarter when it got a little chippy there, a foul, technical… Then we battled hard in the third and couldn't really catch up. In the third, we got close to them then again a couple key shots, a couple key turnovers and once again after all the battling and fighting you see yourself down ten. So it was a tough game."

On the Lakers' play in the post today - "I think we used the post pretty well tonight. More than usual and I'm happy about it. But again we always have got to try to get that balance and get the ball to move side-to-side. So once the ball moves it might come back, it might not."

On what the Lakers have to do better if they face the Spurs in the playoffs - "Just make sure we contain the pick and roll better… I don't know how many times they ran the pick and roll with (Ginobili) and obviously he's very good at it. So we've got to make sure we stop him from getting in the lane and creating all those plays."

Luke Walton

On what he has to do to contribute more - "As a bench player you have to find a way to get active in the game besides that but it can be difficult and tough a lot of times just throw the ball down to Kobe and the ball down to Pau and they make plays. You've still have to somehow to get in there."

On his first game back from his back injury - "It felt good. The back felt good out there. My timing was a little off but that will come, that's nothing. But it was fun to be back out there."

Spurs Brazil
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Tim Duncan

on the injuries piling up at point guard
"I've been willing to play point guard for about 12 years now. I might finally get my chance."

:lol

I'd rather see TD running the point than Mason

Manufan909
04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Why would you interview Luke Walton over anyone but "the machine"? Did they just draw straws to pick the third Laker player they would talk to? I know he just came back from an injury, but he's never been important... EVER.

Harry Callahan
04-04-2010, 08:13 PM
It got chippy because the Lakers don't like it when they don't get everything in their favor and get to blow kisses to the crowd.

I'm just glad the Laker fans stuck around until the end.

DesignatedT
04-04-2010, 08:15 PM
:lol duncan.

Frenzy
04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Oh yea i'm really really interested on what luke walton has to say!!
:rolleyes

EricB
04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
:lol Duncan did say after he was drafted he felt he was a point guard in a big man's body :lol

duncan228
04-04-2010, 08:37 PM
:lol Duncan did say after he was drafted he felt he was a point guard in a big man's body :lol

:lol He was a big Magic fan.

From Duncan's 'The Psychoanalysis of Tim Duncan', February 1999. The piece is on the first page of the Duncan Forum.

...but I am no big man. This is merely where they believe I should play because I am tall. I am really a point guard; I'm just a little bigger than everyone else is.

duhoh
04-04-2010, 09:25 PM
:lol He was a big Magic fan.

From Duncan's 'The Psychoanalysis of Tim Duncan', February 1999. The piece is on the first page of the Duncan Forum.

:lol gotta love duncan

YoMamaIsCallin
04-04-2010, 09:50 PM
"Tragic Johnson"

duncan228
04-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Before the game, Gregg Popovich, the free-wheeling Phil of San Antonio, acknowledged looking at the standings and wondering who they might play ... like the Lakers in the first round if they fall to No. 8.

That, of course, made him the first coach ever to admit it.

"They're full of it," said Popovich, laughing.

"They're the ones that say, 'We don't care who we play.' They're full of baloney too, because we're all trying to hide from the Lakers in the first round.

"I mean, really, who do you want to play in the first round? 'Oh, the Lakers.'

"What an idiot you'd have to be."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-heisler-lakers-20100405,0,6988330,full.column

alchemist
04-04-2010, 11:14 PM
"Tragic Johnson"
:lmao

BillMc
04-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Lakers don't seem to give much credit to the opposition. They only lose because of themselves and the refs (in their minds.)

Shastafarian
04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Lakers don't seem to give much credit to the opposition. They only lose because of themselves and the refs (in their minds.)

Derek "Use My Daughter as Leverage" Fisher confirmed as much yesterday in the interview ABC showed.

Kamnik
04-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Agreed :toast Mason running the point makes me feel bad in the stomach...

clubalien
04-05-2010, 11:22 AM
since tim demands to be playing point guard do we make him the point forward and go big

1-tim
2-manu
3-RJ
4-blair
5-ian

WalterBenitez
04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice quote by TD :D

TJastal
04-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd love to know why Pop kept fucking stinkass 'Garret' on the roster over Cedric Jackson when we have an overabundance of wings and we were down Tony Parker. And then, boom we're down George Hill now as well. And fucked over with no point guards....

CJ could have stepped in and made a HUGE contribution down the stretch here and taken the pressure off Mason and Manu. Fucking HOF coach my ass......

TJastal
04-05-2010, 12:03 PM

And I'd rather see dried baby poop plastered on the wall than read your drivel.

jestersmash
04-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd love to know why Pop kept fucking stinkass 'Garret' on the roster over Cedric Jackson when we have an overabundance of wings and we were down Tony Parker. And then, boom we're down George Hill now as well. And fucked over with no point guards....

CJ could have stepped in and made a HUGE contribution down the stretch here and taken the pressure off Mason and Manu. Fucking HOF coach my ass......

I...don't follow. What on earth has Cedric Jackson done that's so amazing that warrants ill will towards Pop for choosing Temple over Jackson?

None of these players are good. The only guy who has shown glimpses of promise is Hairston, maybe even Mahinmi to a lesser extent.

Libri
04-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Gasol
"So we've got to make sure we stop him from getting in the lane and creating all those plays."Stop Manu? :lol

TJastal
04-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I...don't follow. What on earth has Cedric Jackson done that's so amazing that warrants ill will towards Pop for choosing Temple over Jackson?

None of these players are good. The only guy who has shown glimpses of promise is Hairston, maybe even Mahinmi to a lesser extent.

Well, um....for starters maybe the fact that he is a point guard who handles the ball extremely well? I don't know.. call me crazy but I've noticed every team has a few of these and they seem kind of important.

And from what I saw (don't know what you were watching, or even if you were) he logged a few very nice games where he contributed scoring, assists, steals, and even a few rebounds and blocked shots.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Cedric Jackson also had some defensive skills, as noted in the below link. Now tell me again why fans shouldn't be upset that Pop kept "Garret" over this guy? What does Garret bring to the table that Hairston, Bogans, Mason, and Manu don't?

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2010/3/8/1363760/ridiculous-upside-cedric-jackson

Ridiculous Upside: Cedric Jackson to the Spurs...
Scott Schroeder from RU(who always does great, great work BTW) gives us some details about our new backup[?] PG.

Defensively, as you'd probably assume, is where he's best. I'm told that, according to Synergy, he ranks as the top defensive point guard in the D-League - obviously why he's the Spurs choice as a call-up. He's not very big (6'3", 190) but he is very athletic and plays the passing lanes quite well - he has great instincts.

Defense? Music to these ears.

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Cedric Jackson also had some defensive skills, as noted in the below link. Now tell me again why fans shouldn't be upset that Pop kept "Garret" over this guy? What does Garret bring to the table that Hairston, Bogans, Mason, and Manu don't?

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2010/3/8/1363760/ridiculous-upside-cedric-jackson

Ridiculous Upside: Cedric Jackson to the Spurs...
Scott Schroeder from RU(who always does great, great work BTW) gives us some details about our new backup[?] PG.

Defensively, as you'd probably assume, is where he's best. I'm told that, according to Synergy, he ranks as the top defensive point guard in the D-League - obviously why he's the Spurs choice as a call-up. He's not very big (6'3", 190) but he is very athletic and plays the passing lanes quite well - he has great instincts.

Defense? Music to these ears.

The same writer also said:

"He's also a pure point in the same way Mo Williams is a pure point, if you catch my drift"

TJastal
04-05-2010, 12:44 PM
The same writer also said:

"He's also a pure point in the same way Mo Williams is a pure point, if you catch my drift"

So?

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 12:45 PM
So?

Exactly

TJastal
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Exactly

What is f--- is your point? The guy is still a point guard and can handle the rock in the open court and push the tempo which is what the spurs need badly right now. Do you feel comfortable with Roger Mason handling the ball in the open court for 1/3 of the game? That's not exactly one of his strengths.

FFS, we don't need freakin' Chris Paul we just need a guy who can handle the ball for 1/3 of the game while Manu is resting.

ohmwrecker
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Well, um....for starters maybe the fact that he is a point guard who handles the ball extremely well? I don't know.. call me crazy but I've noticed every team has a few of these and they seem kind of important.

Just an observation, but from what I saw he is a talented kid and more of a scorer than an assists guy. I just don't think he is an NBA level PG yet. He is also a little bit of a hot dog, which is probably why Pop chose not to keep him. Temple is more of a team player and a better, albeit marginally, defender. Jackson seemed a little more concerned with "getting his" than playing team ball.

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
What is f--- is your point? The guy is still a point guard and can handle the rock in the open court and push the tempo which is what the spurs need badly right now. Do you feel comfortable with Roger Mason handling the ball in the open court for 1/3 of the game? That's not exactly one of his strengths.

FFS, we don't need freakin' Chris Paul we just need a guy who can handle the ball for 1/3 of the game while Manu is resting.

DesignatedT
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
id rather just bring tony back... he will be back by memphis at the latest IMO.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Just an observation, but from what I saw he is a talented kid and more of a scorer than an assists guy. I just don't think he is an NBA level PG yet. He is also a little bit of a hot dog, which is probably why Pop chose not to keep him. Temple is more of a team player and a better, albeit marginally, defender. Jackson seemed a little more concerned with "getting his" than playing team ball.

LOL!

If "hot dogging" wasn't allowed (making crazy passes / shots) Ginobili would have been traded years ago.

IMO, Garret Temple sucks ass, CJ was a much more refined player and more importantly, a much more needed commodity on the spurs team as constructed now.

LOL @ people trying to justify keeping Garret. I have no idea why Pop chose another "defensive" wing to keep on the roster when he already had his "centerpiece". Pop is just dimwitted in some ways.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Wow I love these poignant replies that just shred my arguments. Maybe you should try two next time for added effect...

ElNono
04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I think you're on to something with the 'Mason not being able to handle the rock' comment... if you add 'he can't play a lick of defense nor make a shot' you might have a winner...

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Wow I love these poignant replies that just shred my arguments. Maybe you should try two next time for added effect...

:lol:lol

Your arguments are self-shredding.

:lol:lol:lol

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:08 PM
I think you're on to something with the 'Mason not being able to handle the rock' comment... if you add 'he can't play a lick of defense nor make a shot' you might have a winner...

Way to change the subject El Hobo

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:10 PM
:lol:lol

Your arguments are self-shredding.

:lol:lol:lol

Yah, sure they are. Keep telling yourself that, 20X before you goto bed at night and you might actually believe it in the morning.

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Yah, sure they are. Keep telling yourself that, 20X before you goto bed at night and you might actually believe it in the morning.

Do you feel comfortable with Roger Mason handling the ball in the open court for 1/3 of the game?

Shooters like Roger need consistent minutes in order to be consistent.

And really he doesn't even need to be consistent in his shooting every single game IMO because he does other things to help the team (ballhandling/playmaking/hustle plays).

ohmwrecker
04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
LOL!

If "hot dogging" wasn't allowed (making crazy passes / shots) Ginobili would have been traded years ago.
You talk a lot of shit, but you've really outdone yourself here. Manu is not a hot dog and he justifies his "crazy" plays with BBIQ, heart, hustle and leadership. So, Jackson is comparable to Ginobili? Please.
I didn't try to defend or justify Temple. I just offered an explanation as to why Pop preferred him. It's no great secret that Pop prefers defensive minded players.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
As if Manu Ginobili didn't have enough responsibilities right now with Parker out, and now Hill.

Now he has to add point guard duty to his growing list. In the last few weeks of the season and heading into the playoffs this is not good thing.

But at least we got yet another one of those 6'5" shooting guards to adorn the bench that Pop covets so much. Must be missing Finley still (Bogans isn't quite filling the empty spot apparently)

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Nice try. Roger has what I'd call "limited" ball handling/playmaking skills in a half court setting. That's a lot different than full blown point guard who would be handling the ball in open court and transition as well as half court.

ohmwrecker
04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Manu has been a de facto point guard since Tony went out and George Hill isn't a natural point anyway. We will miss him, but the Spurs can win some games playing point by committee.

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Nice try. Roger has what I'd call "limited" ball handling/playmaking skills in a half court setting. That's a lot different than full blown point guard who would be handling the ball in open court and transition as well as half court.

:lol @ denying your Mason man crush.

:lol @ Jackson being a full blown PG

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Manu has been a de facto point guard since Tony went out and George Hill isn't a natural point anyway. We will miss him, but the Spurs can win some games playing point by committee.

At this rate, Manu will be gassed by the playoffs. But its all good, right brah? He'll help us win some games, dribble da ball, make some passes, dribble da ball some more, up and down and up and down the court.

Cane
04-05-2010, 01:35 PM
At this rate, Manu will be gassed by the playoffs. But its all good, right brah? He'll help us win some games, dribble da ball, make some passes, dribble da ball some more, up and down and up and down the court.

You're a shitty poster.

ohmwrecker
04-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Jesus! Your comprehension level is subterranean. You are having an argument with yourself at this point. I should have known better than to get involved in this madness

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
:lol @ denying your Mason man crush.

:lol @ Jackson being a full blown PG

I'm not denying I like Mason, I just don't think he should have been put into a position of needing to handle back up point guard duty when Cedric Jackson was clearly available to be signed for the rest of the year after Parker was injured.

And again, the spurs don't need the next coming of Chris Paul, they just need a guy who can handle the ball a little without a turnover. :yawn

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Jesus! Your comprehension level is subterranean. You are having an argument with yourself at this point. I should have known better than to get involved in this madness

What did I miss? You said that Manu will handle the extra point guard duty by committee along with (?...) and all's good and fine.

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 01:44 PM
:yawn

Indeed

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:45 PM
You're a shitty poster.

Why because I am pointing out potentially costly miscues by the coach?

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Why because I am pointing out potentially costly miscues by the coach?

So that's what you call a profane rant like this:

TJastal
04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Ok, how's this:

I'll gladly eat my words if "Garret" swoops in from under Pop's pant leg and handles the rock like a champ for 20 minutes a game until Parker and Hill return to the lineup.

Deal?

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Ok, how's this:

I'll gladly eat my words if "Garret" swoops in from under Pop's pant leg and handles the rock like a champ for 20 minutes a game until Parker and Hill return to the lineup.

Deal?

That deserves 4 lols, so here's your sign:

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Assuming Manu and Mason both play, Temple has the exact same chance of playing 20 non-garbage time minutes as Jackson would have. Zero.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
That deserves 4 lols, so here's your sign:

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Assuming Manu and Mason both play, Temple has the exact same chance of playing 20 non-garbage time minutes as Jackson would have. Zero.

I disagree. If Jackson was on the roster he'd be valuable as a 15-20m guy helping with point guard duties like handling the ball. This would take pressure off the already overworked Ginobili and keep Mason from having to handle the ball much (remember last playoffs? McFly?)

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I disagree. If Jackson was on the roster he'd be valuable as a 15-20m guy helping with point guard duties like handling the ball.

I don't see how anyone can come to that conclusion based upon Jackson's 25 minutes of mostly garbage time play with the Spurs in three games this season.

If you believe that, fine. I won't waste any time trying persuade you otherwise.

ChumpDumper
04-05-2010, 02:09 PM
We would have won yesterday if only Cedric Jackson played.:depressed

TJastal
04-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't see how anyone can come to that conclusion based upon Jackson's 25 minutes of mostly garbage time play with the Spurs in three games this season.

If you believe that, fine. I won't waste any time trying persuade you otherwise.

Well he was rated the top defensive guard in D league. I don't know much about the D league (you'd have to consult the Dumper about that) but that alone should have gotten him the spot on the rotation over "Garret".

And what's the point of having these guys on the team if your not willing to use em in an emergency situation (like two starters going down)? He'd have been the closest thing to to a point guard this team has right now.

santymrc
04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
IMHO Garret Temple is a bad bb player, not even NBA material. But, Spurs dont hire the guy to handle the rock, they did it just to cover the 13 spot. They dont have any hopes on him becoming an NBA back up PG and he will be gone next season.
Jerrells is gonna have a shot next year on back up PG duties, not Temple.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 02:18 PM
IMHO Garret Temple is a bad bb player, not even NBA material. But, Spurs dont hire the guy to handle the rock, they did it just to cover the 13 spot. They dont have any hopes on him becoming an NBA back up PG and he will be gone next season.
Jerrells is gonna have a shot next year on back up PG duties, not Temple.

Is Jerrels going to get a crack in the rotation now (as in, next game)?

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 02:21 PM
"Garret"

Why the ""?

Anyway, I've already said I won't waste my time trying to change your mind. You may think it's a good idea to play someone with virtually no NBA experience in key portions of games during a playoff push, but NBA coaches would disagree with you.

Anyway, good luck with your "point of view".

ChumpDumper
04-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Is Jerrels going to get a crack in the rotation now (as in, next game)?Would you shut your cryhole if he did?

dbestpro
04-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I would like to see Jerrels now, as well but the Toros playoff aspirations takes precedence over the Spurs playoff drive.

ChumpDumper
04-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I would like to see Jerrels now, as well but the Toros playoff aspirations takes precedence over the Spurs playoff drive.Do they? I guess we'll find out by Thursday.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Why the ""?

Anyway, I've already said I won't waste my time trying to change your mind. You may think it's a good idea to play someone with virtually no NBA experience in key portions of games during a playoff push, but NBA coaches would disagree with you.

Anyway, good luck with your "point of view".

Cuz I don't like the guy, and he's totally redundant on this team. Cedric Jackson should have been kept as insurance seeing as the spurs were already down Parker.

I could forgive Pop if he'd have cut Jackson before Parker's injury happened but knowing Parker wasn't going to be available the rest of the year and the point guard situation as shaky as it was getting Jackson should have superceded his infatutation with finding the next perfect Finley clone to ogle in practice.

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 02:55 PM
I could forgive Pop

A new record:

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

santymrc
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Is Jerrels going to get a crack in the rotation now (as in, next game)?

No, he wont.
Pop's not gonna make a new guy into the rotation with 6 games before PO.
He wont give Temple time either, just a couple like 5-8 mins a game from now until TP comes back -or GH- to rest Manu.

Ill say it again. There's no Temple next year, he filled a roster gap of numbers, nothing more.

Jerrells gonna have a shot next year, not now.

IMHO Temple will be at summer camp but wont make it to the roster -Jerrells will-.

jjktkk
04-05-2010, 03:04 PM
It seems that Pop chose Temple's size and versatility to play both guard positions, over Jackson's ability to primarily play the point. Jackson is known as a good defender, but doesn't Temple have the reputation as a good defender as well? Can't figure out why Coach Tjastal is getting his depins in a bind for a end of a bench guy.

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Ill say it again. There's no Temple next year, he filled a roster gap of numbers, nothing more.

The Spurs only had to sign one Dleaguer to meet the minimum roster size. They signed three.

santymrc
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
The Spurs only had to sign one Dleaguer to meet the minimum roster size. They signed three.

Jerrells was signed to prevet him from doing it with other teams, that says a lot.

Same line goes to Alonzo Gee.

But they are gonna check them in summer camp just to be sure.

Temple is the one being signed to fill the gap, the rest were signed to prevent them going to another team.

Temple will be gone next season, hes not NBA material... C'mon...

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
It seems that Pop chose Temple's size and versatility to play both guard positions, over Jackson's ability to primarily play the point. Jackson is known as a good defender, but doesn't Temple have the reputation as a good defender as well? Can't figure out why Coach Tjastal is getting his depins in a bind for a end of a bench guy.

His whole rant is about choosing Temple over Jackson, when that's not what happened. They signed Jerrells three days after they cut Jackson. Temple was still on his 10-day contract at the time Jackson was cut and was signed to an end of season deal when that expired.

The Spurs have 3 Dleaguers under contract now in Jerrells, Temple, and Gee. That's one developmental PG, one developmental SG/PG, and one developmental SG/SF. Which makes sense when you look at how many players they have signed at those positions for next year.

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Jerrells was signed to prevet him from doing it with other teams, that says a lot.

Same line goes to Alonzo Gee.

But they are gonna check them in summer camp just to be sure.

Temple is the one being signed to fill the gap, the rest were signed to prevent them going to another team.

Temple will be gone next season, hes not NBA material... C'mon...

Sorry, that makes no sense.

TJastal
04-05-2010, 03:19 PM

Those "end of the bench" guys are there for a reason namely in a case of emergencies. And I think losing your main point guard and backup point guard is enough to constitute some concern.

The main "concern" being overloading Manu Ginobili in the last week of the season with too many responsiblities and burning him out just before the playoffs start. I know this isn't a big "concern" for the carefree crowd here but I'm concerned.

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
"" x3

santymrc
04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
His whole rant is about choosing Temple over Jackson, when that's not what happened. They signed Jerrells three days after they cut Jackson. Temple was still on his 10-day contract at the time Jackson was cut and was signed to an end of season deal when that expired.

The Spurs have 3 Dleaguers under contract now in Jerrells, Temple, and Gee. That's one developmental PG, one developmental SG/PG, and one developmental SG/SF. Which makes sense when you look at how many players they have signed at those positions for next year.

Let's put it this way:
Temple was kicked out of Sac and believe me, Sac fans were about to throw things into the court every time they saw him standing up to get inside.
They hated the guy, and they were right, he sucked there.
We are talking about a guy that couldn't make it to the Rockets roster...
He's not NBA ready, and his stats in the Vipers are not good enough. Pop's gonna cut him out of the team as soon as this season is over. He will send him to summer camp just to give him a shot.
Thats the way I see it.
And I dont believe Cedric Jackson is good either. He showed a couple more things than Temple but he's not NBA ready either (but will have more shots than Temple).

TJastal
04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Let's put it this way:
Temple was kicked out of Sac and believe me, Sac fans were about to throw things into the court every time they saw him standing up to get inside.
He's not NBA ready, and his stats in the Vipers are not good enough. Pop's gonna cut him out of the team as soon as this season is over. He will send him to summer camp just to give him a shot.
Thats the way I see it.
And I dont believe Cedric Jackson is good either. He showed a couple more things than Temple but he's not NBA ready either (but will have more shots than Temple).

If Jacque Vaughn can make it on the spurs as an "NBA ready" 3rd string pg for years then surely Ced Jackson is capable. I thought in his sparse PT he showed way more talent than Vaughn had. But I digress...

santymrc
04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry, that makes no sense.

Dunno why you say that, maybe my english failed?
That's the truth, you can search articles and see the reasons behind Gee and Jerrells contracts.

santymrc
04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
If Jacque Vaughn can make it on the spurs as an "NBA ready" 3rd string pg for years then surely Ced Jackson is capable. I thought in his sparse PT he showed way more talent than Vaughn had. But I digress...

Vaughn was a "been there and done that" guy, that's why Pop trusted in him a bit more.
CJ is a rookie with little knwoledge about Spurs O and D. You cant compare them, its ridiculous (and I'm not saying that I liked him).

TJastal
04-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Vaughn was a "been there and done that" guy, that's why Pop trusted in him a bit more.
CJ is a rookie with little knwoledge about Spurs O and D. You cant compare them, its ridiculous (and I'm not saying that I liked him).

Well, it's a gamble either way. Some want to gamble on Ginobili's health remaining intact for the remainder of the year as yet another burden is placed on his shoulders. Pretty foolish to take that gamble, IMO.

I'd gladly instead take the gamble that CJackson could have come in for a handful of games and help handle the ball up and down the court for Manu and Roger for 20-25 minutes a game, play some defense and maybe log a few assists without turning the ball over excessively.

santymrc
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Well, it's a gamble either way. Some want to gamble on Ginobili's health remaining intact for the remainder of the year as yet another burden is placed on his shoulders. Pretty foolish to take that gamble, IMO.

I'd gladly instead take the gamble that CJackson could have come in for a handful of games and help handle the ball up and down the court for Manu and Roger for 20-25 minutes a game, play some defense and maybe log a few assists without turning the ball over excessively.

Well, it's true that we need someone who can take the burden out of Manu and Mason for brief periods of time, but I really don't care if it was Temple or Jackson doing it, neither of them was gonna be a Spurs next year and once TP and GH are back, they become useless bench players.

ChumpDumper
04-05-2010, 04:15 PM
So they could have signed Jerrells at any time but they signed Temple before Jerrells because they like him less than they like Jerrells and then signed Temple for the rest of the season only to fill out the roster to 13 after signing Jerrells to put the roster at 14.

Makes perfect sense. :tu

Mel_13
04-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Dunno why you say that, maybe my english failed?
That's the truth, you can search articles and see the reasons behind Gee and Jerrells contracts.

I don't believe I misunderstood, but I suppose it's possible.

I followed the Jerrells and Gee developments, so that's not it.

I understood you to say:

1. Jerrells was signed as a project for next season and to keep other teams from signing him.

2. Temple was signed to meet minimum roster requirements.

That doesn't make sense to me. The Jerrells signing would cover the minimum roster requirement by itself. No need to keep Temple once you've decided to sign Jerrells.

If that's what you meant, my point stands. If I misunderstood you, I'd like to know your actual meaning.

ohmwrecker
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Why are you guys are still talking about this? It is a semantic argument considering none of the aforementioned d-leaguers have any chance of cracking the rotation and getting meaningful minutes other than in garbage time. Malik and Ian can't even get the minutes they deserve and you think Temple and Jerrels could play when a game is on the line? Really?

LoneStarState'sPride
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
This thread went well... :rolleyes

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Let's put it this way:
Thats the way I see it.

:wakeup