PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson: "The Refs turned against us"

Chris
04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
VID http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5055390

Updated: April 4, 2010, 8:57 PM ET
Jackson: Referees turned against usEmail Print Comments 34Share8 retweet 12By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive
LOS ANGELES -- With 59.0 seconds remaining in the second quarter of the Lakers' 100-81 loss to the Spurs on Sunday, Los Angeles forward Ron Artest and San Antonio guard Manu Ginobili were called for a double-technical foul after getting tangled up while the ball was waiting to be inbounded.

On the Spurs' ensuing possession, just a second of game clock later, Artest was called for a personal foul and Kobe Bryant was then whistled for a technical foul for approaching the official during the dead ball.

All of the calls were made by 25-year NBA veteran referee Bennett Salvatore and left Lakers coach Phil Jackson in a foul mood after the game.

"Tonight they wouldn't let Ron play the way he played prior to [the technical foul call]," Jackson said. "[Ginobili] could hook Ron; [Artest] didn't get what was going on and ended up getting too many fouls on him."

Artest finished the game with two personal fouls, plus the technical. San Antonio was leading 40-37 at the time of the double-technical call and finished the half on an 8-0 run in the final minute.

"The way we ended up the half I think turned the referees against us and when you do that, that's an unfortunate thing," Jackson said. "Ron didn't back off and didn't read that official well enough to know, you got to back off, you got to lighten the load, he's not going to take any more of that. Ginobili forced the issue and got the calls."

Bryant's technical was his 13th of the season. If he is whistled for three more technicals, for a total of 16, in the Lakers final five games, he will be suspended by the league for one game. The slate is wiped clean for the postseason, when amassing seven technical fouls results in a one-game ban.

"You never know with a referee," Jackson said. "You go over and talk to him, he may not have wanted anybody to talk to him at that point. It didn't look like Kobe berated him at all, but you guys probably had a better television view than I had at that end of the court."

Bryant's technical carries a $2,000 fine by the league for each "T" amassed more than 11 in a season.

"It didn't look like he was berating him or anything," Jackson said. "But, with Bennett you don't know what you're going to get."

Jackson also had criticism for Artest for how he responded to the situation.

"On both the replays that we looked at, Ginobili hooks him," Jackson said. "He does the up-and-under move with the hook. Obviously the referees just didn't want the contact at that time. I told Ron at halftime, 'You got to back off when it's time to back off.' You just can't keep being persistent about that because they sent you a warning signal, and that signal was, 'Back off.' We ended up giving them some momentum at the half and probably got the referees on the back end of our game."

Artest had little to say about the incident after the game.

"I don't even remember," Artest said. "It was just basketball. I can't remember what happened."

Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.co

silverblk mystix
04-04-2010, 11:22 PM
in other words....

stern assured us the league would have our back....but they turned on us....???

badfish22
04-04-2010, 11:26 PM
I was wondering where the bitching was. The Lakers did lose today.

"But, with Bennett you don't know what you're going to get."

Untrue. You always know you will get shitty refereeing

ffadicted
04-04-2010, 11:33 PM
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

DaDakota
04-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Jackson has whined about the refs for years, he is taking a smart shot across the bow before the playoffs where the fines are cheaper.

DD

jag
04-04-2010, 11:53 PM
I get what he's trying to do, but the man has no shame.

duhoh
04-05-2010, 12:21 AM
I get what he's trying to do, but the man has no shame.

why not if it wins you a ring?

Cry Havoc
04-05-2010, 12:40 AM
why not if it wins you a ring?

Give me strength of character and resolve to be an honorable sport over being underhanded and pull all the stops out you can any day. Winning really isn't everything.

D-Wade #3
04-05-2010, 12:49 AM
cry me a fucking river, Phillip

milkshakeballa
04-05-2010, 01:37 AM
I really didn't get the feeling he was calling out the refs. Just saying they are unpredicatable and didn't like how Artest responded...

Quit Hatin'
04-05-2010, 01:58 AM
i'm glad he called out the refs. every other team in the league gets prefernial treatment on their home court. but salvatore and tony brothers had to call bs calls on us and give the game away. pinochioo got the line more times than pau and kobe combined. kobe and pau were hacked and smacked and no call instead they called bs travels on kobe which the commentors even said were bullshit and what about the manu ginobili 8 second violation no call and the blair tapping it out of bounce on the jump ball and it remains spurs ball.

D-Wade #3
04-05-2010, 02:04 AM
i'm glad he called out the refs. every other team in the league gets prefernial treatment on their home court. but salvatore and tony brothers had to call bs calls on us and give the game away. pinochioo got the line more times than pau and kobe combined. kobe and pau were hacked and smacked and no call instead they called bs travels on kobe which the commentors even said were bullshit and what about the manu ginobili 8 second violation no call and the blair tapping it out of bounce on the jump ball and it remains spurs ball.

You butthurt over 1 game? Get over it

duhoh
04-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Give me strength of character and resolve to be an honorable sport over being underhanded and pull all the stops out you can any day. Winning really isn't everything.

I wish it were that way. I really do. But our boys have had some less than reputable situations that completely changed a series

Baseline
04-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Oh, and by the way, the switch that the Lakers have been trying to flip...Manu Ginobili swiped it, rewired it MacGyver style, installed it in the AT&T Center, and flipped it.

pauls931
04-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Boo Hoo, then again Spurs fans should have no comment since of all fan bases, they complain about the refs even more than Suns fans.

Flintstones32
04-05-2010, 07:22 AM
"Tonight they wouldn't let Ron play the way he played prior to [the technical foul call]," Jackson said. "[Ginobili] could hook Ron; [Artest] didn't get what was going on and ended up getting too many fouls on him."

Too many fouls on Artest? He had 2 plus the tech. Ginobili just worked him over

tlongII
04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
That's just PJ working the refs. Same as it ever was.

BRHornet45
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I really HATE this man. most overrated coach in all of sports history and a true bitch.

dougp
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM

Look at the superb, game/playoff influencing preferential treatment the Spurs received!

bWiw60NusOY

milkshakeballa
04-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Oh, and by the way, the switch that the Lakers have been trying to flip...Manu Ginobili swiped it, rewired it MacGyver style, installed it in the AT&T Center, and flipped it.

so weak

milkshakeballa
04-05-2010, 10:54 AM
You butthurt over 1 game? Get over it

this x 10000000000000000000

BlackSwordsMan
04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
my chick bad

TheMACHINE
04-05-2010, 11:54 AM
PJ just setting it up for the 1st round. Nothing new. Refs wont let ginobli and duncan hook like they did yesterday. Simple as that.

ChickHearnMic
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/aBQb5nVCHno/0.jpg

TampaDude
04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I really HATE this man. most overrated coach in all of sports history and a true bitch.

+1 My dead grandmother could've coached the Jordan Bulls to a threepeat. He's a good coach, mind you, but he's also a lucky SOB.

duncan228
04-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Lakers’ Jackson fined $35,000 for criticizing refs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-jacksonfined)

Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson has been fined $35,000 for criticizing game officials.

The NBA announced the discipline on Monday.

Jackson was fined for comments he made after the Lakers’ 100-81 loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday at the Staples Center.

lefty
04-05-2010, 08:20 PM
ROFL

Not surprised by KFC

He cant accept that other teams can't beat his team, so he blames the refs

Spurs just handed the Lakers a good old fashioned beatdown; the officiating was fair

Biggems
04-05-2010, 08:53 PM

the spurs havent gotten home cookin since the whole Crawford incident a few years ago. in fact, since that game agains the Mavs, the Spurs have had deal with some really bad officiating, directed towards them.

why is Phil complaining, Manu got a T also. It was a double T. It isn't the Spurs fault that Ron punked out and lost his composure. Manu let it go and kicked butt. Artest let it linger and struggled the remainder of the game...Artest pulled a Dwight Howard and it cost his team.

Instead of blaming the refs, maybe Phil should blame his MVP for chucking stupid shots, while his Center was abusing the Spurs defense all game. IMO, Gasol should have seen the ball on every possession in the 2nd half, especially since the Spurs defense had no answer for him.