PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPad

DMX7
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
So did anyone actually grab one this weekend?

I hate the lack of flash support but since more websites are using html 5, it's getting more and more attractive.

ashbeeigh
04-05-2010, 04:45 PM
No.

Cane
04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
First generation Apple products leave a lot to be desired but I suppose you can say that about anything; doesn't make it less true though.

Is HULU available for the iPad yet?

Also agree that a lack of flash support is a dumbass move but they had to cut corners to make it work for those prices. Still, all those free animations, games, websites, etc are exactly the kind of stuff that would be bad ass to mess around with on something like an iPad even though they're not all great.

Frenzy
04-05-2010, 05:27 PM
is that some kind of new tampon for life like computers?

Shaolin-Style
04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
They're neat, but honestly, I can't see spending so much money on this kinda stuff.

I mean if I'm leaving the house, I'm leaving with a purpose be it work or school or meeting with friends or family. I'm not going to drive somewhere and do a few things and then stop and sit on a bench or whip it out as I walk and proclaim "It's iPad time!" Maybe if I was being chauffeured around consistently but I'm no Miss Daisy.

My PC does what it does and more!

admiralsnackbar
04-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I'll get one eventually to read, and to control music programs on my laptop via bluetooth... but no hurry to get burned for early adoption.

Don't particularly care about lack of flash support, honestly. It's also dirt-cheap as Apple products go, FWIW.

MiamiHeat
04-05-2010, 06:55 PM
i still dont even have an ipod.

i have owned MP3 players since 1998. ipod is just a ripoff. they steal ideas and slap some "culture fad" on it, and then hype it up.

this time they ripped the kindle

fuck apple

IronMaxipad
04-05-2010, 07:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gb9ZN.jpg

Shaolin-Style
04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
A maxipad with a usb port...

Wonders of the future

Cant_Be_Faded
04-05-2010, 08:00 PM
only rich people and morons go for version 1 of a device of this nature

And I just cannot see how the iPad will be a game changer like Steve says it will be.

leemajors
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM

i have owned MP3 players since 1998. ipod is just a ripoff. they steal ideas and slap some "culture fad" on it, and then hype it up.

fuck apple

You're an idiot. E-readers existed years before the Kindle. Sony had one out in 2004.

scott
04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Got the 64GB. It's an amazing device, worth the hype. The email client is very nice with Exchange support, and I added productivity apps and a remote desktop viewer, so now I can stay plugged into my business when I'm away - which is handy since I'm leaving town for the World Beer Cup tomorrow. Working on tying into my video survelliance system as we speak.

My take on the iPad as a whole: it's really good at a lot of things, not great at anything. Its nice to have a multimedia device that I can get a ton of work done on without having to lug around a laptop. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely for me. The ability to steam Netflix and ABC shows right out of the get-go is pretty awesome, and supposedly a Hulu app is on the way (believe it when I see it). Near HD (don't know the exact resolution) video quality for loaded videos.

I was skeptical but it gets my seal of approval, whatever that is worth. My signature is not pleased.

admiralsnackbar
04-05-2010, 08:32 PM

fuck apple

Maybe if you made a bigger effort to know what you were talking about, you wouldn't work yourself up over nothing so often.

About the only think the Kindle and the iPad have in common is that you can read things on them. One uses a glare-free e-paper display, the other, a back-lit LED. One is exclusively a reader, the other is not. Apple stole no technology to make the iPad, and stole none to make the iPod. Simmer down.

DMX7
04-05-2010, 08:45 PM

fuck apple

This does a lot more than the kindle.

DJ Mbenga
04-05-2010, 09:17 PM
why get this when next years edition will have a camera

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-05-2010, 09:31 PM
you dont get the first gen of anything, especially an apple product

you just dont

CuckingFunt
04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Didn't buy one, and won't, but one of the people I was hanging out with on Saturday night got one and I had a chance to play with it. It's very pretty, and does the things it does quite effectively, but doesn't do anything that its target audience can't already do on one of the many other devices they likely already have. I can't imagine a single task for which I would use the iPad instead of the laptop, phone, or iPod I already own. It's also a lot heavier than I expected and/or would want.

I certainly don't see this one having much appeal outside of the die hard Apple/tech fanboys.

01Snake
04-05-2010, 10:48 PM
http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/012010/ipad_vs_hp_tc_1100.jpg

Drachen
04-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Lol! if that is the case, I would hate to see the spec list of THIS year's HP slate.

admiralsnackbar
04-05-2010, 10:59 PM

Again, learn what you're talking about before dissing it. The iPad isn't a tablet laptop (I'm currently writing this on a Gateway TA6) and isn't trying to be one. Their price tags should tell you as much.

If you want to diss the iPad, do so because it's a giant iphone that doesn't have much more going on for it, including phone service.

scott
04-05-2010, 11:07 PM

Also, the iPad has a headphone jack and component video output, just to clarify.

But use the two devices side by side and tell me which one you think feels like it was made in 2003 vs. 2010.

Cry Havoc
04-05-2010, 11:24 PM
It's sad that people are going crazy for the iPad when they are less capable and more expensive than a netbook.

eyeh8u
04-05-2010, 11:27 PM
wait for notion adam , its everything ipad isnt

CuckingFunt
04-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Also, the iPad has a headphone jack and component video output, just to clarify.

But use the two devices side by side and tell me which one you think feels like it was made in 2003 vs. 2010.

Multi-touch screen makes a big difference, too.

Cry Havoc
04-05-2010, 11:33 PM
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-you-shouldnt-either.html

"What's interesting to me is that everyone focuses on "simplicity" and ignores the restrictions of the device. In the end, the consumer wants nothing less than a shiny box that delivers content at the push of a button at the expense of all else. It's like the device that spits out food pellets for lab mice. Censorship and ownership of the content are not important. Only that it sparkles. A computer for a fast food society."

leemajors
04-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Didn't buy one, and won't, but one of the people I was hanging out with on Saturday night got one and I had a chance to play with it. It's very pretty, and does the things it does quite effectively, but doesn't do anything that its target audience can't already do on one of the many other devices they likely already have. I can't imagine a single task for which I would use the iPad instead of the laptop, phone, or iPod I already own. It's also a lot heavier than I expected and/or would want.

I certainly don't see this one having much appeal outside of the die hard Apple/tech fanboys.

300,000 sold on the first day in the US alone.

IronMaxipad
04-05-2010, 11:56 PM
American's are fucking stupid that's why.

scott
04-05-2010, 11:56 PM
No doubt about it, the iPad is a luxury device with a ton of limitations. Couple the two of those things together, and it eliminates a segment of the market. Couple that with the fact that are people who will buy an iAnything because they are iHipsters, and I can see the backlash coming from people who haven't used the thing.

With that said, I'm fortunate to be a position where I can buy luxury items like this and it just happened to be (almost) everything I was looking for it to be. I don't need a full-blown laptop (haven't turned on the perfectly good one I have in months, I probably should to make sure it still works) because I don't travel much or need to do a ton of heavy duty work on the go. I do, however, given a significant number of presentations (in PowerPoint). iPad has that covered, so it works for me. From a productivity stand-point, I need full functioning Exchange-based email/contacts/calendar at my fingertips at all times - which is how I became a Blackberry and then eventual iPhone user to start with. iPad has got me covered there too. The biggest other thing I need is a remote desktop viewer. Got a good App to do that for $30 (maybe that's overpriced - but what I'll use it for I find it a good value).

Where the iPad stands out for my needs is that it couples the limited productivity suite I need well in addition to marrying it with (in my opinion) a very impressive multimedia & entertainment device that (right now) runs very fast and is very user friendly.

The iPad isn't for everyone, and for the 600,000 who bought one, I bet only a fraction will find it really fits their lifestyle (insert iHipster). You'll see people lumbering away with it writing term papers in a Starbucks, but it isn't the devices fault it is being misused.

But just as bad as those who bought the iPad to be something it's not, are the people who criticize it for not being something it's not.

My only real beefs are no USB and no Flash. I see a market for an add-on USB (which still sucks, just another thing to carry around) and I expect one to pop-up eventually (maybe a software update will allow folks to use the existing iPod charging/data cable).

leemajors
04-06-2010, 12:03 AM
American's are fucking stupid that's why.

the Germans pre-ordered around 150k as well. Everyone is stupid.

CuckingFunt
04-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Well, of course. And sales will be good for a while. But will it become industry standard to the extent that the iPod or iPhone has? I sincerely doubt it.

balli
04-06-2010, 12:13 AM
I just don't understand why the ipad is such a big fucking deal. It's a goddamn touchscreen tablet with a screen that goes to the edges. I had similar shit back in 2002. I mean it's nice and all, but shit, it's been like the biggest story in American news lately. WGAF?

leemajors
04-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Well, of course. And sales will be good for a while. But will it become industry standard to the extent that the iPod or iPhone has? I sincerely doubt it.

We'll see, but it outsold the original iPhone on the first day. I can't afford one, but I played with one today and was impressed, ESP with the marvel app, and plants vs zombies Hd. Besides, with as limited as tablet sales have been, it doesn't have far to go. I'd sure as hell take an apple touch interface over a pc one. Their touch software is abominable on their desktops.

Cry Havoc
04-06-2010, 12:56 AM
We'll see, but it outsold the original iPhone on the first day.

No two year contract helps out just a bit.

leemajors
04-06-2010, 11:25 AM
No two year contract helps out just a bit.

True, but the 3G and 3GS both outsold them.

JoePublic
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Scott is spot on. For some it will suit their needs for others it will be a luxury toy to show off in public like they are really into it.

phyzik
04-06-2010, 12:50 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/ptech/04/06/ipad.wifi.problems/index.html?hpt=T2

iPad has Wi-Fi problems, some users say

(CNN) -- Users who rushed to snap up Apple's iPad are complaining within days of the slate computer's highly anticipated release that they're having trouble connecting it to the Internet.

On Apple's technical support Web site, there were 11 pages of comments Tuesday morning on a post saying Wi-Fi connections were weak or kept cutting out.

"Add me to the list with problems! I'm very disappointed that there's no solution either," one user wrote. "Does anyone think this can be fixed with an update, or should I just get a refund while there's time?"

Versions of the iPad, a sort of hybrid between a laptop and a smartphone designed largely for reading, Web surfing and playing games, will eventually work with both Wi-Fi and 3G wireless connections.

But the versions released Saturday are Wi-Fi only.

Some users were saying their Wi-Fi connections were weak, while others were saying they weren't able to connect with Wi-Fi at all. Some users say laying the iPad on a flat surface exacerbates the problem.

Apple did not respond Tuesday morning to a request from CNN.com for a response to the complaints.

On Saturday, when the company reported selling 300,000 of the devices, Apple posted a Web page outlining troubleshooting tips for "occasional problems" that included weak Wi-Fi connections or not being able to find a signal.

The tips include moving closer to a Wi-Fi router or hot spot and making sure the Wi-Fi router is plugged in and the power is turned on.

The Web page also suggests checking for sources of possible interference, like a microwave oven, and making sure you're connected to the correct Wi-Fi connection if multiple ones are available.

It's not unusual for users to have trouble navigating a new electronic device in its early days. But reports from tech-savvy members of the online community suggest the problem isn't just operator error.

"Count me in as someone who's having iPad Wifi issues as well,"wrote Michael Arrington, founder and editor of technology blog TechCrunch. "The device works fine near the router, but on the other side of the house, nada. But my Macbook pro and my Nexus One and other various devices I've brought into the house pick up wifi just fine in that area."

The iPad is a lightweight, portable computer with a glass multitouch screen that wirelessly surfs the Web, displays photos and videos, runs apps and plays games and movies, among other potential uses.

Reviews in the tech community have ranged from "sensual" to "disappointment" in the hours since its release. Some have raved that it's close to being a "laptop killer," meaning it can perform almost all the functions of the bigger portable computers.

There have been raves about its 1.5 pound weigh-in, making it easy to carry, and its ability to render reading material in color -- a potential boon for comics, newspapers and magazines.

Complaints, which predated widespread notice of the Wi-Fi issues, have centered around its lack of a camera, difficulty using its onscreen keyboard and the fact that users can't run more than one program at a time.

Like other Apple products, iPad does not run Flash, making some games and videos unusable.

admiralsnackbar
04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Considering early adopters are usually rich geeks who want to show off, I'm glad to hear there are problems in this first gen. Prolly nothing more than a firmware update to remedy the situation, but hey... schadenfreude is good times. :D

blkroadrunners
04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Wait til next year to buy it, knowing Apple screws over their customers.

admiralsnackbar
04-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Wait til next year to buy it, knowing Apple screws over their customers.

I'll go you one further and say tech companies screw their customers. What about Vista, or the XBOX360? Or the new iteration of any established software product or game. It's amazing how, in the race to stay at the cutting edge of technology, consumers have willingly accepted being turned into paying beta testers.

CubanMustGo
04-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I'll go you one further and say tech companies screw their customers. What about Vista, or the XBOX360? Or the new iteration of any established software product or game. It's amazing how, in the race to stay at the cutting edge of technology, consumers have willingly accepted being turned into paying beta testers.

Apple is famous for soaking early adopters and then dramatically cutting the price to bring in the masses.

Most vendors use early adopters as guinea pigs; Apple gets them to pay a premium for the privilege.

admiralsnackbar
04-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Apple is famous for soaking early adopters and then dramatically cutting the price to bring in the masses.

Most vendors use early adopters as guinea pigs; Apple gets them to pay a premium for the privilege.

I honestly think the reason Apple is famous for it is because their products are expensive and regarded as snobbish (all magnified by their irritatingly smug commercials).

But how is what you're saying any different than Microsoft charging 500 clams for the XBOX360, then dropping the price drastically after fixing the motherboard-cooking heat-dispersion system? The 360 was rightly criticized for being ridiculously over-priced at the outset. Or rolling out the very expensive POS Vista at $399, then dropping the price $80 thereafter?

Not trying to make this a Mac vs PC thing because it isn't -- it's just the way the whole tech market works now.

EmptyMan
04-06-2010, 06:21 PM
I lmao pretty hard at the people who wait in line for this shit on day 1.

I love my ipod, but it is uppity douchebag central when I walk into an apple store.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/7/U/240042/original/691404701.jpg

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2010, 08:08 PM
It makes no sense to expect the iPad to be a game changer like Jobs is saying. Unless theres some huge curveball Apple will throw at us in later versions.

Anyone who will be turned into an iPad more than likely already has an iPhone...which is far easier to carry around and do on-the-fly stuff with than a bigger version of the same interface

balli
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/IVA1N.jpg

mookie2001
04-12-2010, 09:56 AM
i have an ipad nano

its really for people who DL a lot of movies, have home video, have a shitload of entire albums and want to have a little computer too for checking on mavs fan and eminem

its pretty cheap, well not to me, but compared to apples past and present shit, its practically free

TDMVPDPOY
04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
if ppl have followed the apple marketing they will realize apple will always replace its products with updated version 8-10months from now, this is how to milk the cash cow....

Whisky Dog
04-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I still don't get it. My Iphone does the same stuff + makes calls and texts and is a lot more portable. Is thus supposed to be the computer equivalent of that giant remote control for old people who can't see small letters?

mookie2001
04-12-2010, 10:05 AM
iphones do have some limitations, nobody would write a long detailed email or text document on it, nor would they watch a two hour movie

thats about it

CubanMustGo
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
iPad makes a much better e-Book reader than an iPhone.

10 hour battery life is pretty significant for that sized device.

Mixability
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
It's at the top of the list of stuff I wanna buy but don't really need.

Whisky Dog
04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
iphones do have some limitations, nobody would write a long detailed email or text document on it, nor would they watch a two hour movie

thats about it

I'm not writing a long detailed anything without a standard keyboard.

I watch 2 hour movies and 2+ hour Spurs games on my Iphone. But then again Im not 80.

nkdlunch
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Let's see:
- if I wanna watch a movie or play games, I would rather do it on my 50" screen than the ipad
- if I wanna use spurstalk/email/word/work I rather use my laptop as it has a real keyboard
- If I wanna use the web while on the toilet, I rather use my iphone
- if I wanna check out porn, I rather use desktop as it has a keyboard, supports flash porn and I can use it with one hand :toast

what a useless piece of garbage is this Ipad, IMO

Muser
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't even have a iPod touch yet, just looks like a waste of money.

scampers
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I have an iPhone.. and I love it.

I don't see any reason to get an iPad. At all. What does it have over the iPhone? A bigger screen and some flashier apps?

I suppose I could see someone who doesn't own an iPod Touch or iPhone getting one, but I don't get all these Apple freaks who buy an iPod AND an iPod Touch AND an iPhone AND an iPad.

Crazies.

ShoogarBear
04-15-2010, 06:07 PM
How to print from an iPad (http://www.theformgroup.com/about/blog/2010/04/how-to-print-from-an-ipad)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/04/blogipadprintingbig.jpg

Cry Havoc
04-15-2010, 09:14 PM
How to print from an iPad (http://www.theformgroup.com/about/blog/2010/04/how-to-print-from-an-ipad)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/04/blogipadprintingbig.jpg

This guy was ahead of his time:

EO5HeoYqSZ0

ShoogarBear
04-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Holy crap :lol

Heath Ledger
04-20-2010, 01:26 AM
I got the 16 gig one with just wifi, i dont need the 3g because I can wirelessly tether with mywi on my jailbroken iphone.

Its pretty much just a big ipod touch/iphone without the phone however I can call peopl using skype and wifi or 3g.

No flash = fail.
It can't run DMG files = fail.
No camera= megafail

You definitly don't need both an Ipad and Iphone just buy the 3g version of the Ipad. It is a cool device but more of a toy then something useful for computing. I bough it to take to tradeshows theres a card swiper and software that allows me to take CC's and peope sign their receipt with their finger.