PDA

View Full Version : Reconsidering the Possibilities

timvp
04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
We as Spurs Nation entered this season with high hopes. The refueling that took place in the offseason seemingly added the necessary firepower to allow the Spurs to regain their footing as an elite and legitimate contender. However, the transfer from paper to the hardwood was met with many a hiccup. Spurs Nation experienced lows not seen since Vinny Del Negro's hair-fake left town.

Despite the difficulties, I always expected the Spurs to put up a valiant (yet futile) fight. A victory in the first round appeared to be the ceiling for this squad. I had fully accepted San Antonio's pretender status.

As life temporarily interrupted my ability to make time to voice my opinions, I coincidentally became speechless. Facing a horrifying schedule, the Spurs unexpectedly found the wherewithal to thrive. I've watched each of these recent wins multiple times and I find myself to be equal parts surprised, proud and inspired.

Logic tells me that the Spurs are still a longshot to reach the Western Conference Finals, much less win a fifth NBA championship. But I find it impossible to watch this team galvanize and not end up dreaming.

I simply cannot keep writing about the Spurs without mentioning Manu Ginobili. In recent weeks, Ginobili has gone from question mark to exclamation point. Right this second, he's the best basketball player on the planet. And that's not hyperbolic. Ginobili has grabbed the reins and, for much of this stretch, steered this team almost single-handedly to victories. Not only do I think this is the best stretch of his career, it's one of the best stretches I've ever seen out of any player in franchise history.

What if Manu Ginobili can keep playing at this level? What if Tim Duncan continues his recent resurgence? What if health can be restored in time? What if the chemistry continues to improve? What if all the contenders continue to sport chinks in their armor? Yes, the "ifs" are many but I can't help but connect the dots and reconsider the possibilities.

P.S.

I'm going to attempt to make up for lost time with 12 consecutive hours of postings. Let me know of any subjects you wish for me to discuss. I apology for thread hogging in advance.

Muser
04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
2nd round is still the ceiling IMO, too many "ifs" for us to go further.

team-work
04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
As a fan, now that your favorite team has reached the playoffs, it is always legal to dream about winning the championship, no matter how minimal the chance can be.

Timvp, could you please analyse the reasons for the resurgence of team? (number one is without doubt Ginobili.) How about rotations being settled, better chemistry and trust among players, reduced use of small ball?

ohmwrecker
04-06-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm good. Thanks.

Dex
04-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion

Spursfanfromafar
04-06-2010, 09:28 AM
tiMVP,

Welcome back. Actually, the Real Spurs - welcome back!

Here are few subjects, you should put your two cents on -

* Greg Popovich's coaching during the spectacular period (No small ball, great rotations, trusting Manu, integrating RJ more smoothly, blah blah).

* How do you manage Manu till the playoffs. For all the great performance since All Star, I am still nervous about Manu being fully fit during the playoffs.. and therefore to play him sparingly till the playoffs. That means.. resting him somewhere during the Kings, Grizzlies and T'wolves games. But there is no other point guard to play..so how and who do they play?

* Let's say Tony and George are back before playoffs. Are we good enough for a title contention now?

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Timvp, what's your reading on Duncan's recent problems ( post All Star break ). Do you think he's still capable of leading the team in the playoffs, or we're more likely to see a hobbled Duncan like last year against Dallas?

Manu's been great, but unless Duncan is 100% for the playoffs our chances are slim to none.

Whisky Dog
04-06-2010, 09:39 AM
No Finley? Huevos return. Simple.

jiggy_55
04-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Welcome back. :flag:

ElNono
04-06-2010, 09:49 AM
LJ, appreciate the writeup, but you have a kiddo to enjoy now, and you don't want to be making up for lost time with her...

BronxCowboy
04-06-2010, 09:51 AM
This is the best Spurs squad on offense that we have seen in a long time, and has been all season, slumps notwithstanding. The real problem this year has been on defense, but it's clear if you've been watching the games, the defense that we saw against the Lakers on Sunday is not the same defense that the Spurs were playing at the beginning of the season. The stats over the last few games bear this out. Despite playing against some quality competition, the Spurs have gone from an average FG% defense to one of the league's best in the last few games. If Tony and George come back healthy, and the Spurs keep playing Spurs defense, this squad is as scary as any out there. The possibilities reach as far as another championship. Of course it's anything but in the bag, but that's true every year.

Deimosfobos
04-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Timvp, what's your reading on Duncan's recent problems ( post All Star break ). Do you think he's still capable of leading the team in the playoffs, or we're more likely to see a hobbled Duncan like last year against Dallas?

Manu's been great, but unless Duncan is 100% for the playoffs our chances are slim to none.

I disagree. This Manu (insane), with a decent Duncan (not 100%) can beat any team as it was proven already.

But... as much as I love Manu and hope I'm dead wrong... he won't be able to play this amazing all playoffs. So I would be happy with a very good Manu (instead of godlike), a close to 100% Duncan and a good Parker (don't see playing really good after all this time). We have a chance that way.

ElNono
04-06-2010, 09:56 AM
BTW, I'll throw in a subject if you want to tackle it:

Would we have reached this point if Tony doesn't go down and Manu doesn't start and get more minutes and a bigger role with more touches? :stirpot:

wildbill2u
04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Topics: 1. Putting Manu back in the starting five. He may not be a point guard but he is the only guard who can get everyone on the team involved.
2. Tony Parker has morphed into Steve Francis. Holding the ball to play scorer until he absolutely has to kick to someone with the clock running out. Ball movement and involvement of other players suffers.
3. To prevent Parker from "holding the reins" that Pop gave him, Pop has to go back to calling the plays.

lennyalderette
04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
remember if our guys are playing good ball as a team we will win, when we play good we get W's theres alot of teams that play good and lose like thunder, or utah even portland, i know it sounds kinda crazy but i think this separates us from the other lower seeds because of the champions on our team, and its not just one ring most of these guys have soi say we have a hell of a chance

Josepatches_
04-06-2010, 10:04 AM

Would we have reached this point if Tony doesn't go down and Manu doesn't start and get more minutes and a bigger role with more touches? :stirpot:

No

timvp
04-06-2010, 10:18 AM
2nd round is still the ceiling IMO, too many "ifs" for us to go further.I think you're right.

Hopefully we're both wrong.

Timvp, could you please analyse the reasons for the resurgence of team? (number one is without doubt Ginobili.) How about rotations being settled, better chemistry and trust among players, reduced use of small ball?

* Greg Popovich's coaching during the spectacular period (No small ball, great rotations, trusting Manu, integrating RJ more smoothly, blah blah).

* How do you manage Manu till the playoffs. For all the great performance since All Star, I am still nervous about Manu being fully fit during the playoffs.. and therefore to play him sparingly till the playoffs. That means.. resting him somewhere during the Kings, Grizzlies and T'wolves games. But there is no other point guard to play..so how and who do they play?

* Let's say Tony and George are back before playoffs. Are we good enough for a title contention now?

Good ideas. Finished the Manu writeup. Will tackle Duncan next.

No Finley? Huevos return. Simple.

:lol Watching Finley on the Celtics brings so much joy to my heart. Especially when he was sucking against the Spurs.

LJ, appreciate the writeup, but you have a kiddo to enjoy now, and you don't want to be making up for lost time with her...

She's on my lap.

Dex
04-06-2010, 10:27 AM
BTW LJ, I know you've got a full plate (as well as a full inbox), but I sent you a PM with the new avatars whenever you get around to it. I'm sure you needed more to do. :lol

BronxCowboy
04-06-2010, 10:33 AM

Considering that there isn't that much difference between seeds 2-8 in the west, and the gap between the Lakers and the rest clearly isn't as large as it appeared at the mid-point of the season, anyone who makes the 2nd round in the west has a legitimate shot at the finals.

ElNono
04-06-2010, 10:34 AM
She's on my lap.

:tu

team-work
04-06-2010, 10:38 AM
She's on my lap.

Really appreciated your effort to answer us while taking care of a newborn. No easy tasks there!

L.I.T
04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
To be perfectly honest I never quite saw this team either as championship material; mainly because of too many new faces that needed integrating into the setup.

I've stayed cautiously optimistic throughout the entire season, never quite throwing in the towel, but never quite being able to fully trust their ability to win a 7 game series against a team with superior talent (something they could do in the past because of superior execution and chemistry).

But, despite the spate of PG injuries, I've actually become more optimistic than at any point in the season, or last year, for the simple fact that they are showing a resilience that has been long missing: especially in the second half of games. The old Spurs championship teams (1999, 2003) had a tendency to dominate all of the third and fourth quarters against teams. 2005 and 2007 were a little bit shakier, but were tough closing quarters.

This iteration of the team (over the last month) has shown an ability to close out third quarters and dominate fourth quarters, a sign that chemistry and execution is coming together - it is not just Manu Ginobili (although he is an integral part).

To be honest, I am not worried about integrating TP with Manu and TD. Saying those three, at this point in their careers, will have chemistry issues is almost nonsensical. They know each other too well. Integrating TP with RJeff may be a bit more difficult, but that falls on Jefferson's shoulders more than TP. Dice, however I feel will improve with TP, their games are more compatible. TP is a great drive and kick PG, and Dice has shown to be a solid mid-range spot up shooter.

This is a long-winded way of me saying, the Spurs ceiling to me remains at the WCF. They can knock out almost every team in the West from the playoffs; with the exception of the Lakers and Mavs (and both of those teams they can conceivably beat...it's just not to be expected).

A key element will be Hill and TP coming back for the playoffs; if they come in well-rested and aggressive and team chemistry is not upset too much...they will be extremely dangerous.

EricB
04-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't see why they couldn't beat the mavericks. They have someone that can guard nowitzki and someone that pop trusts in a big man to leave in there and stay big....

Cane
04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
It'll ultimately come down to health, but right now the Spurs are playing like they're the best team in the West. Hopefully they continue the trend against the Kings tonight.

Blake
04-06-2010, 10:56 AM
What if Manu Ginobili can keep playing at this level? What if Tim Duncan continues his recent resurgence? What if health can be restored in time? What if the chemistry continues to improve? What if all the contenders continue to sport chinks in their armor? Yes, the "ifs" are many but I can't help but connect the dots and reconsider the possibilities.

Couple those questions with the way they have beat on the big timers of late: LA, Boston, Orlando and Cleveland, and they are doing a great job of getting my hopes up.

Blake
04-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't see why they couldn't beat the mavericks. They have someone that can guard nowitzki and someone that pop trusts in a big man to leave in there and stay big....

who is it that can guard nowitizki?

Solid D
04-06-2010, 11:02 AM
The past dozen games conjure up dreams of past greatness, but as for me, I'm going to wait and see what this team looks like with Tony Parker back in the mix. What does adding TP back into the rotation do to their ways of doing business on the court? It will be different offensively. It will be different defensively. Will it be better? Will RJ still be an option on the fast break and will he go back to being a spot shooter instead of a dribble-drive option.

I also want to see the Spurs beat the Mavs before getting all hyped. I admit the defensive intensity and proficiency has been very encouraging the past dozen games. It's one of the main reason the Spurs beat the Cavs, Celts, Magic and Lakers. With TP back as a starter and Hill gimpy, will the proficiency continue?

One thing I'm sure of....the TP vs. Manu threads will regain THEIR proficiency.

EricB
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
who is it that can guard nowitizki?

Mcdyess has proven he can guard Dirk many times this season.

raspsa
04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I always contend that the Spurs are capable of pulling surprises. So I take it one game at a time, digesting each outcome.. to project too far ahead isn't really worthwhile for me.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
timvp, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind discussing the potential first round matchups the Spurs would face and who we would have the best chances against in the opening round?

I think at this point Denver would be a great first round opponent since there is no guarantee K-Mart would be back for the opening game and George Karl would be absent as well. I'm sure we can all agree the Lakers and Mavs wold be our worst bets.

Good to have you back :toast

urunobili
04-06-2010, 11:20 AM
One thing is out of question... this team ain't going down without a fight... now with Georgie going down their hearts will be tested even further...

I see the Spurs winning a couple of rounds and maybe even reaching their Finals to lose there for the first time... unless the East champ's star goes down... no way we can defeat Orlando or Cleva in a 7 games series... against the west... Manu just made me believe we can defeat anybody with heart and desire.

I also think TP will ONLY enhance this team's power. I think RJ already understands how he can help and almost with a full regular season under his belt and his brand new focus of going after every rebound he'll thrive with TP too...

Manu.... I don't think Pop should bench him...

ace3g
04-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Timvp can you do a Stretch Run Analysis on RJ?

JR3
04-06-2010, 11:49 AM
The difference is that these "IFs" are not that big anymore. They are small. Every team has small IFs.. .the way we are playing, we have just as good of a shot as anyone minus the home court advantage.. but if there is a team that can win on the road in the playoffs, its us.

Blackjack
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Welcome back to the RTB campaign, timvp. :toast

I had my own Reconsidering the Possibilities (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149292) of sorts a while back, and came to some similar conclusions: new found hope and enthusiasm through a change in perspective and a belief that Tim's problems were the result of fatigue.

There's a lot of 'ifs' that have to go right for this team to do anything truly miraculous, but there 'ifs' that didn't exist a few months ago; it was an effort in futility to even allow yourself the opportunity to think such a thing. But with Manu playing at this level and as long as Tim and Tony are on the team, you just can't count them out.

These injuries are absolutely maddening considering the timing and circumstance (in terms of time of year and how they're playing) and it could very well be their undoing: Manu being forced to play at this level and man the point is flirting with disaster and Tim seemingly flipping the playoff switch early (which it seems he's done over the last couple of games) could have them worn down or falling off before the first round of the playoff completes.

I guess the hope is that Tony's reinsertion into the lineup coincides with any falloff and leaves them no worse for the wear. (Which is dicey. But the hope, nonetheless.) And George will come back refreshed (he needed a break with all the minutes), fully healthy and picks up right where he left off; the 'ifs' are many but not inconceivable.

I'd definitely be a lot more optimistic if the Spurs could avoid the Lakers, but the loss of both point guards doesn't bode well. And starting a 4-games-in-5-nights stretch can't help but temper optimism of such an avoidance.

Still, I hold out hope. And if they do have to play the Lakeshow right off the bat, at least it will be before they're playing their best ball and before Bynum is back or in rhythm.

I do know this: he's Manu Ginobili (and that's, more often than not, enough).

Baseline
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
TimVP, I'd like to hear your opinion on this. My theory on why the Spurs have a very legit shot at the title this year is because the Lakers aren't as good as people think they are.

Last year the only healthy team they faced who was even decent was Denver. They didn't have ot beat a healthy Spurs team (Manu was out), or a healthy Celtics team (Garnett was out), or even a healthy Orlando team (Jameer Nelson was just coming back from injury and was useless on the floor).

The reality is that LA was simply the healthiest team, not the best team. If Nelson was healthy, I think Orlando could have beaten them. I know a healthy Celtic team would have beaten them. And the Spurs weren't even in the discussion because of our injuries last year.

Which brings me to the present. I realize the Spurs are not at 100% physically, but when Parker comes back, our Big Three will be healthier in the postseason than any point since the 2007 Finals. And Manu, the key, is playing better than we has even in 2007. And believe me - the rest of the League knows how well Manu is playing.

Bynum is still a big X factor, and if Bynum isn't fully healthy when he returns, it's obvious that LA is nowhere near as deep as people think they are. They have five good players, six if Bynum is healthy, and then it drops off a cliff.
I'd almost rather play LA in the first round, before Bynum gets his groove back and before the Lakers find their rhythm. :lobt2:

duncan228
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Effect of injuries on playoff teams (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/britt_robson/04/06/injuries.notes/index.html)
Britt Robson
SI.com

SAN ANTONIO SPURS: Already regarded as one of the NBA's most charismatic clutch performers, Manu Ginobili has been spectacular this month in the wake of the broken hand that sidelined point guard Tony Parker. Now San Antonio's other point guard, George Hill, is out with a sprained ankle. Parker and Hill are expected back for the playoffs, but neither is likely to be at 100 percent efficiency. That matters less now that Ginobili has elevated his game into a pretty fair imitation of Dwyane Wade, averaging 28.6 points, 3.9 rebounds and 6.3 assists over his last nine games while initiating the offense in half-court sets.

Ginobili has almost single-handedly altered the trajectory of the Spurs' season, from disappointing underachievers to proud, gritty veterans who have a chance to become a fearsome Cinderella story in the West. Ironically, a rapid return to vintage form by Parker could diminish the incredible roll Ginobili is on and ultimately hurt San Antonio's playoff chances. But if anyone can overcome pecking-order issues, it's the Spurs' Big Three of Ginobili, Parker and Tim Duncan. (And don't count out Hill, a Gregg Popovich favorite.)

101A
04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Until this latest run, I had NO faith that this team could win a championship - for a simple reason: The team that wins the championship MUST have a player who is (arguably) the best player in the league. Before the ASB, the Spurs did not have that player. As good as Tim was playing, no one would make the argument that he is the "the best"; with a straight face. Now the argument can be, and has been, made that Manu is the best player on the planet. Therefore, the Spurs are in the discussion - if Manu can keep it up.

The one exception to this rule has been the Pistons of '04, and strangely enough the Bad Boy Pistons before them; other than that, you can't find a team that didn't have a player who was (again, arguably) "the best" when his team won the championship. Tim, Wade, Shaq, Tim, MJ, Dream, MJ, Magic, Bird, etc....

easjer
04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
It's the most hopeful I've felt since December. I am actually interested in watching games again, which is saying something. I didn't give up on them, but it was no longer captivating for me. Now it is again.

Here's to April being a great month.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2010, 01:51 PM

2nd round is probably indeed the ceiling for a Spurs team with Duncan going through the motions, Hill and Parker injured, and Mason not able to hit the broad side of a barn. A lot of those things are likely to change in the next few weeks.

Spurs Brazil
04-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Great to read your post again timvp

I'd like to know how much improvement you see from the key off season addictions lately and what expect from them in the playoffs Dice, RJ and Blair)

Thanks

Phenomanul
04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Great to read your post again timvp

I'd like to know how much improvement you see from the key off season addictions lately and what expect from them in the playoffs Dice, RJ and Blair)

Thanks

On a corollary... will Blair bounce back from the rookie wall (wookie wall - in Blair's case)... or will Pop give him the Hill treatment (from last year's playoff series against _allas)???

Great to have ya back timvp...

smeagol
04-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Damn, there are so many things to be exited about if you are a Spurs fan!

The fact we have beaten CLE, BOS, LAL, ORL, OKC and we were very close to beating ATL and CLE again . . . and all this without TP and with Timmy playing at 50% of what he is capable of . . .

By the way, good to have you back around these places, LJ

Galileo
04-06-2010, 05:33 PM
We as Spurs Nation entered this season with high hopes. The refueling that took place in the offseason seemingly added the necessary firepower to allow the Spurs to regain their footing as an elite and legitimate contender. However, the transfer from paper to the hardwood was met with many a hiccup. Spurs Nation experienced lows not seen since Vinny Del Negro's hair-fake left town.

Despite the difficulties, I always expected the Spurs to put up a valiant (yet futile) fight. A victory in the first round appeared to be the ceiling for this squad. I had fully accepted San Antonio's pretender status.

As life temporarily interrupted my ability to make time to voice my opinions, I coincidentally became speechless. Facing a horrifying schedule, the Spurs unexpectedly found the wherewithal to thrive. I've watched each of these recent wins multiple times and I find myself to be equal parts surprised, proud and inspired.

Logic tells me that the Spurs are still a longshot to reach the Western Conference Finals, much less win a fifth NBA championship. But I find it impossible to watch this team galvanize and not end up dreaming.

I simply cannot keep writing about the Spurs without mentioning Manu Ginobili. In recent weeks, Ginobili has gone from question mark to exclamation point. Right this second, he's the best basketball player on the planet. And that's not hyperbolic. Ginobili has grabbed the reins and, for much of this stretch, steered this team almost single-handedly to victories. Not only do I think this is the best stretch of his career, it's one of the best stretches I've ever seen out of any player in franchise history.

P.S.

I'm going to attempt to make up for lost time with 12 consecutive hours of postings. Let me know of any subjects you wish for me to discuss. I apology for thread hogging in advance.

The Spurs have the best point differential in the West, and they play in the toughest division. And they are peaking at the right time.

kaji157
04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Timvp why people love Manu and hate on Tony?

Rick Von Braun
04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Timvp,

I would like to know your thoughts about the front court rotations heading to the playoffs, the top 2 players in addition to TD for the Spurs to have any chance in the playoffs.

My short take is: 2 of Dice, Bonner, Meast and Mahinmi must step up their play in order for the Spurs to have a fighting chance. The Meast and Mahinmi are still too green, which leaves only Dice and Bonner (or small ball... ugh!?).

What are your thoughts?

P.S.: Congratulations on the new bundle of joy. I hope you fully enjoy your first, it is amazing.

bonnington
04-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Once Manu took his team to the top, He can do it again, if he is healthy enough.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-06-2010, 06:51 PM

P.S.

Holy sheeeit! Although it hasn't happened in a while due to your understandable absence, once again you totally encapsulate my thoughts. Great to have you back, Cap'n. :toast

mogrovejo
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Nonsense. The Spurs were always contenders and played like contenders the entire season.

In recent weeks, Ginobili has gone from question mark to exclamation point.

Nonsense. It was obvious Ginobili was okay.

Right this second, he's the best basketball player on the planet. And that's not hyperbolic.

Nonsense.

timvp
04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Nonsense. The Spurs were always contenders and played like contenders the entire season.:lol :lol

Nonsense. It was obvious Ginobili was okay. :lol

Nonsense.

Debatable.

mogrovejo
04-06-2010, 07:45 PM
:lol :lol

:lol

Well, I wrote it more than once. The signs were there, if you were unable to identify them it's kind of lame to now pretend they didn't exist.

Debatable.

Dude, just like Ginobili was a top player in the league rounding into form a few months ago and not a bum he now is a top player in the league in good form - meaning his light years away of LBJ. With that kind of reactionary analysis you're going to be wrong more often that not.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Nonsense. The Spurs were always contenders and played like contenders the entire season.

Nonsense. It was obvious Ginobili was okay.

Nonsense.

Bullshit. This team has only shown shades of contender status in the last 15 games or so. For most of the first four months of the season their chemistry was horrible and there was no discernable arc of improvement. Even after the ASB the team looked a poor fit for each other.

As for Ginbobili, it wasn't obvious that he would become what he is today until late-February. During December and January he looked like he had lost a step and just about all of his explosion at the basket, although his smarts were partly compensating for his bodily decline.

I'm afraid you are the one making up revisionist history and talking nonsense.

mogrovejo
04-06-2010, 08:24 PM
As for Ginbobili, it wasn't obvious that he would become what he is today until late-February. During December and January he looked like he had lost a step and just about all of his explosion at the basket, although his smarts were partly compensating for his bodily decline.

I'm afraid you are the one making up revisionist history and talking nonsense.

You guys tire me.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3945394&postcount=80

Go read what I wrote about the Spurs in the same thread. There are more of that kind. I don't like to say "I told you so", but this "you're wrong, you're being revisionist" thing is pretty lame.

mavs>spurs2
04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
lol timvp tending to his groupies