PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Head Coach Don Nelson?

Old School 44
04-06-2010, 01:16 PM
I thought this was an interesting excerpt from an ESPN interview with Don Nelson about the possibility of coaching the Spurs when Pop was GM. I assume this was when Bob Hill was fired. Not really sure if I would have liked him as the Spurs head coach.
----------------------------------------------------

So what would be your do-overs if you could have them?
"There were two opportunities I probably should have made happen. One was when we beat the Celtics in the playoffs in Milwaukee [in 1983]. They were going to make a coaching change. I think Bill Fitch was their coach at the time. After the last game, Red [Auerbach] walked by and asked me, 'Would you ever consider coaching the Boston Celtics?'
"I said, 'Red, it would be a dream come true. But the guy's been so good to me here, I really couldn't leave [Bucks owner] Jim Fitzgerald.' But looking back as a career move, that's probably something I should have done at that point. They had a really good championship-caliber team and that would have solved all the problems if I would have done that. K.C. Jones got that job and did a really good job and they won a few championships. Looking back, I was a loyal guy because Jim Fitzgerald was so good to me, so I don't really regret not going. But as a career move I probably should have.

"And then the second one was when I was in Golden State and I was having all the [Chris] Webber problems and Gregg Popovich was the GM in San Antonio and wanted to make a change. He called me up and said, 'Can you get out of your contract and come here and be my coach?'
"It was a great idea, because the way we were looking at it, one of us [Webber or Nelson] had to go and if I leave they can keep Webber and get a good coach and everything would be great. So I begged Fitz [Jim Fitzgerald had since bought the Warriors] to let me out of my contract, but he refused, so he and I got into a big argument.

"But he was going to sell the team and I had to be part of the sale because I guess [new owner] Chris Cohan wanted me in place. I've often thought, if Pop would have been the GM and I would have been the coach, that would have been a happy, happy time for me. But I ended up staying and we probably ended up making a bad decision on Webber [by trading him to Washington]."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Nellie-100406

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 03:27 PM
I guarantee if Nelson had come to the Spurs, there's no way he and Pop would be friends today. Seeing as how Nelson has shammed every coaching opportunity and burned most of his bridges he's had since that time, I would guess that his professional relationship would've ended badly, too.

scottspurs
04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Nelson would of ruined Tim Duncan's career.

blkroadrunners
04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
At least Nellie would play Ian and Malik for 30 minutes a night.

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Yeah, and their bad habits would've been magnified and glorified.

alchemist
04-06-2010, 04:06 PM
there's more than a few on here that would love to have Nelson over Pop :lmao

Old School 44
04-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I guarantee if Nelson had come to the Spurs, there's no way he and Pop would be friends today. Seeing as how Nelson has shammed every coaching opportunity and burned most of his bridges he's had since that time, I would guess that his professional relationship would've ended badly, too.

Yep, that was my first thought. My second, was we could have become the Mavericks. :wow

the crimson blur
04-06-2010, 04:12 PM

And those people aren't Spurs fans.

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Yep, that was my first thought. My second, was we could have become the Mavericks. :wow

The rafters of the AT&T Center would be devoid of any championship banners - that's for sure.

Old School 44
04-06-2010, 04:24 PM
:lol

exstatic
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Yeah, he plays a lot of d-league callups in GS. How's that working out for them?

exstatic
04-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Nellie is title kryptonite, and he would only have thrown Pop under the bus like he did Mullin, who rescued his fucking career, post-Dallas.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-06-2010, 07:28 PM
The very thought makes me :vomit:

galvatron3000
04-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Good thing it didn't happen, Duncan would have gone to Orlando the first chance he got and Robinson would have retired playing for some other team. Good thing this is just a nightmare that never occurred

8FOR!3
04-06-2010, 07:47 PM
He would've won twice as many championship coaching the Spurs than he did coaching the Mavs. Wait A SECOND...that's still 0...

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-06-2010, 09:15 PM

If you squinted hard enough this season, Pop was coaching a whole lot like him for a majority of it.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
It would have be enjoyable seeing Nellie turn David Robinson into a three-point threat, and then complain about how the Spurs didn't have a good post player.

JWest596
04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Spurs Head Coach Don Nelson?

Too old plus he's a bigger boozer than Pop. The owners then or now would have never gone for it.

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 10:59 PM
There's no doubt that he would've ultimately undermined Pop and likely moved hiimself into both roles of coach and GM. It would've been fucking nightmare. I know Pop is grateful to Nellie for all he's done for his career, but certainly Pop is smart enough to realize the philosophical differences between them are as big as the Pacific Ocean.

NFGIII
04-06-2010, 11:54 PM
What a nightmare that would have been. The coaching styles are so opposite of one another. And something would have given very shortly. Hill got the boot due to the fact that his style wasn't going to beat Utah. Neither was Nelie's. I think Pop would have recognized that and canned Nellie - if he had come that is.

Anyway thank God that didn't happened.

And a beautiful friendship was saved. :D

lennyalderette
04-07-2010, 01:13 AM
What a nightmare that would have been. The coaching styles are so opposite of one another. And something would have given very shortly. Hill got the boot due to the fact that his style wasn't going to beat Utah. Neither was Nelie's. I think Pop would have recognized that and canned Nellie - if he had come that is.

Anyway thank God that didn't happened.

And a beautiful friendship was saved. :D
at the first sight of nellie or any coach destroying the team would have been kicked the hell out esp with a young hungry timmy deeeee, thats what separates us and the other teams

blkroadrunners
04-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, he plays a lot of d-league callups in GS. How's that working out for them?

Fan-ta-diddily-astic :rolleyes