PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker Returns Tonight

timvp
04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Props to Phila_Chamberlain with the scoop, which was confirmed by Tony Parker himself.

admiralfats
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
awesome.

dbestpro
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Will the express news give credit to Spurstalk when they scoop the story?

timvp
04-06-2010, 01:30 PM
I guess Sean Elliott wasn't lying when he said TP was talking about coming back a lot soon. Phila also said that Temple will start at point guard, which is interesting. Is that a sign that Pop is saving a spot for Hill in the starting lineup or is it just a matter of Parker slowly being worked back in.

Budkin
Freaking awesome! Just in time TP!

spursdotcom
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/tony_parker_to_play_100406.html

timvp
04-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh and props to TP for being a fast healer. :tu

LongtimeSpursFan
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I hope he only has to play 12-15 mins tonight. Hopefully 20-25 tomorrow against PHX.

elbamba
04-06-2010, 01:34 PM
I guess this also means Hill's injury is more serious and he will miss the rest of the regular season?

DAF86
04-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Fuck, I'm pumped! I'm ready for the playoffs.

Whisky Dog
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Very good, props on coming back so soon. I just wonder if he would be playing tonight if Fisher hadn't Bowen'd Hill.

ElNono
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
:danceclub

Mel_13
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I hope he only has to play 12-15 mins tonight. Hopefully 20-25 tomorrow against PHX.

If history is a guide.

When he missed almost 4 weeks back in 2008, he came off the bench and played 18 minutes in his first game back. He started his second game and played almost 30 minutes.

jestersmash
04-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Very good, props on coming back so soon. I just wonder if he would be playing tonight if Fisher hadn't Bowen'd Hill.

Probably not. It's better to get too much rest than too little as far as injuries go.

But, that's precisely why doctors exaggerate the time truly needed to fully heal an injury. It's just a long term precautionary measure.

CFH
Excited to see Tony play tonight even if it is limited. :toast

Blackjack
Maybe we can avoid LA after all . . . :elephant

Cane
04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I like the move, and you can almost tell this was coming from Tony's comments on that ESPN game.

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I mentioned this as a possibility in the Hill's injury thread, it seemed logical..good to see the Spurs pushing hard for a better seed..the TP haters are going to be maaaaad..

Temple starting over Mason?..that's extremely strange IMO..

Temple's ballhandling is even worse than Mason's, and he's looked poor in every facet from what we've seen so far, although it's a small sample size..Temple also hasn't even been playing lately..I'll have to see it to believe it..maybe it's to get Mason going again?..

tlongII
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Go Kings!

Taco
04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
La-Way Cool !

Kermit
Hellz yeah.

Slomo
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/SPAM_Believe.jpg

it's me
Fuck, I'm pumped! I'm ready for the playoffs.

:toast now we're ready to go...........:lobt::p:

spurtilldeath
@ESPN_NBA (http://twitter.com/ESPN_NBA) RT @STEIN_LINE_HQ (http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ) RT @JMac_SAEN (http://twitter.com/JMac_SAEN): Tony Parker has been cleared and will play some tonight vs Kings 18 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/ESPN_NBA/status/11711536652)

it's me
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Maybe we can avoid LA after all . . . :elephant

do we want to??

alchemist
just read this on rotowire, great great news!!!! :lobt2:

ElNono
I just cant wait for the unavoidable thread after Manu scores 'only' 24 points tonight... :lol

phyzik
04-06-2010, 01:43 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/SPAM_Believe.jpg

:tu

dbestpro
04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
It must have been the SPAM he ate.

Spurs Parker As Manna.

spurtilldeath
04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Sorry, I didnt see the thread from TIMVP. My bad...please merge. Thanks.

Kermit
04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/photoshop_madness/spam_believe.jpg

spam poops.

urunobili
http://www.thesharkbook.com/blog/uploaded_images/Dom-Perignon-1995-Champagne-Gift-716441.jpg

boutons_deux
Temple must be peeing in his pants.

Good luck, Temple!! (it's only SAC, but we need ever W)

Express-News
04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Will the express news give credit to Spurstalk when they scoop the story?

:wakeup

tlongII
04-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I think Sacto's going to give you a tough game tonight. Hill's out and Parker's playing limited minutes... It's not going to be easy for you to get into your offense. I see the game being in the mid-80's with the Kings having a shot at a W.

NFGIII
04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
This is going to be interesting as to how Pop integrates TP over the rest of the regular season. Did TP notice how RJ's play elevated when he was given the ball more? You bet he did but can he do the same and still be TP? What is the starting lineup going to be come PO time? Manu starting or off the bench?

As of now this is really good news. Even though TP is coming back from injury his presence will help stablize the PG position. I really didn't like the prospect of just Manu being the sole playmaker. He has played lots of minutes and it looked like he was going to be asked to play even more. A tired Manu in the POs isn't a good idea.

Can't wait to see what happens. And Temple starting is really strange - as HarlemHeat37 previously stated. But if that gets under Mason's skin and makes him want to step up and show that he can be productive then so be it. This team needs all players to step up and help get a higher seed.

ffadicted
04-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Fuck yes, attaboy tony, fast healer!!!
Maybe that's why he was smirking a lot during the interview about hill's injury, he knew pop would pretty much have to play him lol

RC's Boss
04-06-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm ready!!!!!! B/C other than the game vs. the lakers, Duncan's number's have been LOW! He needs his pick & roll partner back. Manu makes Jefferson and Blair better, which is fine for the bench, but Tony makes Tim's numbers skyrocket!

Bartleby
04-06-2010, 02:14 PM
I think Sacto's going to give you a tough game tonight. Hill's out and Parker's playing limited minutes... It's not going to be easy for you to get into your offense. I see the game being in the mid-80's with the Kings having a shot at a W.

Maybe, but I really doubt the Spurs let this one get away from them. The memories from the Nets game are still too fresh.

boutons_deux
04-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Slomo must be on Easter Break.

Gooshie
04-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I am assuming Temple starting has to do with Pop feeling more comfortable with him starting out on Evans instead of Mason. Personally, I can't stand the thought of Mason trying to guard Evans, so I like the move.

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I mentioned this as a possibility in the Hill's injury thread, it seemed logical..good to see the Spurs pushing hard for a better seed..the TP haters are going to be maaaaad..

Temple starting over Mason?..that's extremely strange IMO..

Temple's ballhandling is even worse than Mason's, and he's looked poor in every facet from what we've seen so far, although it's a small sample size..Temple also hasn't even been playing lately..I'll have to see it to believe it..maybe it's to get Mason going again?..

It is an interesting decision, but I can kind of understand it. While Mason is the superior shooter, he cannot get the basket well and has a terrible handle. On the defensive end, Temple is far superior to Mason. I'm sure Pop likes his length.

All that said, starting Temple alongside of Manu makes some sense because Manu can help offset and limit any of Temple's miscues.

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I am assuming Temple starting has to do with Pop feeling more comfortable with him starting out on Evans instead of Mason. Personally, I can't stand the thought of Mason trying to guard Evans, so I like the move.

Me too.

And hooray for the return of TP.

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Fuck yes, attaboy tony, fast healer!!!
Maybe that's why he was smirking a lot during the interview about hill's injury, he knew pop would pretty much have to play him lol

...and I just thought that chesire cat-like smirk was simply his Frenchie smugness. :lol

Spurs Brazil
04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
GREAT news

Welcome back Tony

MannyIsGod
04-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Nice. Hope to see him play extremely well. I'm excited.

tothrowed
04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
i hope the people on this team dont get timid with parker and duncan in there and try to give em the ball on every play

Bruno
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Yep, Temple starting is for defensive purpose against Kings small backcourt of Udrih/Evans. Manu will be the PG on the offensive end.

I can see Parker playing more than 30 min tonight. He has been able to stay in shape during his injury and he is at 100%. The only thing that could limit him is if he has a protection on the hand.

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2010, 02:38 PM
I understand the defensive strategy, it just seems strange to me that Pop would go with Temple this late in the season over Mason, I'm sure Mase won't be too happy..Temple's D has been very poor so far as a Spur, even though he has a defensive reputation..hopefully he steps up with the added pressure tonight..even with Mason's horrible D, the Spurs recent defensive resurgence has been more about the team D IMO, but hopefully it's a good move..

Hopefully he steps up though, I can't stand seeing Mason on the floor at this point, he's too much of a liability..I still think this is a move to motivate Mason IMO..

It's going to be scary whenever TP drives in the lane and somebody slaps down, but it'll be exciting to see him out there..I assume he's going to have a lot of his speed and quickness back with this long rest..has he spoken about his PF and other injuries recently?..

Flux451
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Hopefully Curtis or Alonzo are activated also. Crossing fingers that everyone can remain healthy.

EDIT:

I love how introverted the SPurs org. is about injuries and returns. No one saw this coming. TP back tonight, awesome. I look on ESPN and it says Johnson will be back with Hawks in two days.

ginobilized
04-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Good news!

yavozerb
04-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Who is sitting tonight? Ian or Malik...

Beaverfuzz
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Go Kings!

Where do you want the Kings to go tlong? :flag: :danceclub:

Blackjack
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
As it pertains to Temple and his starting tonight, I give you Tyreke Evans. Sure, Temple isn't the ideal person you'd like to got to but when you look at the physical matchup, the options available (Tony's likely to just get his feet wet) and the fact that he spent some time with Sacramento this year, I can understand the decision; it's hard to be up in arms when Mason's the alternative.

I don't think Temple's starting has any real bearing on Tony's status moving forward; if all goes well tonight, it wouldn't shock me if he starts against Phoenix.

Brazil
04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
http://www.thesharkbook.com/blog/uploaded_images/Dom-Perignon-1995-Champagne-Gift-716441.jpg

1995 is not an exceptional millesim I'd go with the legendaries 1921 or 1928. More recently the Dr. No preference is the 1955 while James Bond is a 1953 fan.

All in all I'd go with a Krug 1928 or the 1996 that could be the best millesim ever.

ffadicted
04-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Who is sitting tonight? Ian or Malik...

Neither... Hill does, obviously lol

Blackjack
04-06-2010, 03:08 PM
We'll see how long that pumped up feeling last.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7JtmuNxu--M/Sc3PjKpephI/AAAAAAAADAc/KdUxthbhO-A/wm-Coca%20Cola%20Xray.jpg

You give new meaning to butthurt . . .

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Express news is such a joke.

ohmwrecker
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
We'll see how long that pumped up feeling last.

There should be an "s" on the end of last, dummy.
We should ask you how long you cried about your team getting their asses handed to them on Sunday.

pookenstein
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Great news.
:flag:

And btw, although I have to admit that 3 days ago for me SPAM was only some disgusting food, I LOVE the new meaning this word has for me. :toast
And the Jetcomic is awesome.

FkLA
04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
there goes our season :(

but seriously nice to get him back considering hill's injury, still think we should ship him out in the off-season though.

phxspurfan
04-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I like the decision to start Temple tonight. It's relatively low-risk strategy against the Queens and if he succeeds he will gain confidence that he needs to play with the squad. If he falls on his face, we have Parker in there anyway to take over the ball handling duties, if not the scoring load.

And there's no way Parker was waiting until the end of the season or start of the playoffs to come back. If we had lost two of those games vs. Orlando, Boston, Cleveland or LA I think he would have convinved Pop to bring him back even sooner. He's ready to go.

Mel_13
04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Inactives are likely Jerralls and Hill.

Don't you mean Gee and Hill?

tothrowed
04-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Inactives are likely Jerralls and Hill.
i passed chamberlain i hit 30,000 chicks - lil flip

pad300
04-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I understand the defensive strategy, it just seems strange to me that Pop would go with Temple this late in the season over Mason, I'm sure Mase won't be too happy..Temple's D has been very poor so far as a Spur, even though he has a defensive reputation..hopefully he steps up with the added pressure tonight..even with Mason's horrible D, the Spurs recent defensive resurgence has been more about the team D IMO, but hopefully it's a good move..

Hopefully he steps up though, I can't stand seeing Mason on the floor at this point, he's too much of a liability..I still think this is a move to motivate Mason IMO..

It's going to be scary whenever TP drives in the lane and somebody slaps down, but it'll be exciting to see him out there..I assume he's going to have a lot of his speed and quickness back with this long rest..has he spoken about his PF and other injuries recently?..

Assume an 8 man playoff rotation. (numbers in brackets are minutes)

Duncan (36) - McDyess-Bonner (60 minutes between them, maybe some Blair for a good measure)
Bogans (6, please pop!)- Manu (36) -Jefferson (36)
Hill (30) - Parker (36)

Mason has been sucking. Mason isn't in the playoff rotation unless we have another long-term injury. Pop is looking at Temple to see what he can do, and does he have the balls to handle starting pressure...He might also be looking to see if Temple can actually play PG - he did in the D-league.

Mel_13
04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
14 man roster and Jerralls will be in Austin with the Toros. Unless he was brought up without anyone hearing about it?

They have 15 players on the roster. Jerrells in Austin, Hill and Gee behind the bench in suits.

scottspurs
04-06-2010, 03:37 PM
The Big Three Return. GO Spurs GO!!!!!

JR3
04-06-2010, 03:37 PM
This is great news.. the sooner we intigrate him the better.

G-Nob
04-06-2010, 03:43 PM
J-Mac broke it before TP did it himself. http://twitter.com/JMac_SAEN :)

Give the boy some props!

crc21209
04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Awesome! Welcome back TP! :tu

Dex
04-06-2010, 03:49 PM
If Tony can truly come back healthy and play at anything resembling full tilt, then that was a miraculous recovery, and better than I think any of us would've logically hoped for.

Spurs7794
04-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Mason has been sucking. Mason isn't in the playoff rotation unless we have another long-term injury. Pop is looking at Temple to see what he can do, and does he have the balls to handle starting pressure...He might also be looking to see if Temple can actually play PG - he did in the D-league.

I would be STUNNED if Pop is actually thinking of letting Temple play in the playoffs. This is the same guy who claimed "this playoffs isn't for George" last year.

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Sweet! Can't wait to see Tony out there!!

santymrc
04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Finally, the BIG 3 ARE BACK BABYYY!!
Hell yeah. Sweet!!

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Assume an 8 man playoff rotation. (numbers in brackets are minutes)

Duncan (36) - McDyess-Bonner (60 minutes between them, maybe some Blair for a good measure)
Bogans (6, please pop!)- Manu (36) -Jefferson (36)
Hill (30) - Parker (36)

I agree that Mason won't, or at least shouldn't be in the playoff rotation, as I said in the thread about playoff minutes..he would have to play big down the stretch to the end the season..I hate seeing him on the floor at this point..

My point is the same though..I see no chance that Pop goes with Temple in the playoffs, he's barely played with this team..it would be a very stupid move in general and something that goes against what Pop usually does..

I still believe it's a motivational tactic more than a chance for Temple to prove himself, although that could be a possibility too..

benefactor
04-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm both excited and worried. I REALLY hope that hand is good to go. The biggest positive about this is related to one of the worries I touched on in another thread...his jumper. Six games looks a lot better than three when we are talking about rediscovering his stroke.

Let's just say I will be holding my breath every time he goes to the basket.

TD 21
04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
His presence single-handedly turns this game from a potential loss to a probable win and it could set the Spurs up to have a realistic chance at winning tomorrow's game, which otherwise had blowout written all over it, with the lack of ball handling/scoring/energy that they'd have had. It probably would have taken extended minutes and almost every bit of energy Ginobili and Duncan had to drag this team to a victory tonight.

Even though Parker will probably only play 15-20 minutes and probably won't make much of a statistical impact on the game, his mere presence, his ability to handle the ball, create his own shot and occasionally create for others, gives the Spurs another perimeter player that has to be accounted for by the defense. It allows Ginobili's and to a lesser extent, Duncan's minutes, to be managed and for them to not have to expend quite as much energy when on the court. Plus, it gives Parker more time to get in shape/rhythm before the playoffs.

As for Temple starting, I assume he got the nod over Bogans because he's a better ball handler and the Spurs don't want Ginobili to have to handle the ball on every play, even if it is for only about seven minutes until they get into the rotation.

Not only does Temple have no chance at being in the playoff rotation, but if the Spurs are healthy, he more than likely won't even be active, nor should he be. Other than deciding which of the three guards should come off the bench, everything else is cut and dried at this point.

Charles Sappa
04-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Finally, the BIG 3 ARE BACK BABYYY!!
Hell yeah. Sweet!!Lakers, Dallas, Denver, Utah are praying for not playing against us in the first round. San Antonio's Game is coming to his best form just when the playoffs begin.

We are doing a lot of noise

We have the advantage of having a veteran team with extensive experience in the playoffs.

cd98
04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
San Antonio can still potentially get home court in the first round.

raspsa
04-06-2010, 06:04 PM
and I was so looking forward to some PT for Curtis and Garrett..

Cherry
04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
YEAAAH!!

But no so fast. He need to get back into rhythm.

Cherry
04-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I just cant wait for the unavoidable thread after Manu scores 'only' 24 points tonight... :lol

I will be happy if Manu plays "only" 24 min :flag:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I really hope this is a sign that TP will be used as a super-sub during the playoffs. He could tear up opposing benches, and I think it is silly to risk messing with the starters' chemistry at this point.

Any word on how his plantar fasciitis is going?

Manufan909
04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
I really hope this is a sign that TP will be used as a super-sub during the playoffs. He could tear up opposing benches, and I think it is silly to risk messing with the starters' chemistry at this point.

Any word on how his plantar fasciitis is going?

Nada, and the chem is already screwed with Temple starting.:lol I know what you implied though (when Hill and Parker are both 80-90%).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Nada, and the chem is already screwed with Temple starting.:lol I know what you implied though (when Hill and Parker are both 80-90%).

Actually, Garrett starting won't necessarily screw the chemistry - he'll do a lot of bringing the ball up, giving it to Manu and getting out of the way, whereas TP likes to take things into his own hands, which means fewer touches for Manu and RJ... we can't afford RJ to be a passenger, so he and Manu need to keep getting fed the ball.

I am assuming Hill is just out a few games and will come back before the playoffs start.

I'm not thinking about tonight.

If we can't find a way to beat Sacto, fuggedaboutit... :lol

Leftyventricle
04-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Excited to finally get some TP!!
YxWS-XG2HAU

tlongII
04-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Where do you want the Kings to go tlong? :flag: :danceclub:

To the FT line.

Brazil
04-06-2010, 08:05 PM
To the FT line.

Other subject: everything is ok with R Fernandez ? I read some articles saying he wants to go back to Europe.

slayermin
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I will never, ever, ever, ever, say a negative thing about TP ever again, if he comes off the bench.

jestersmash
04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
TP knows who he is. He's a top 5 scoring guard/point guard hybrid in the league and the '07 finals MVP. I am not worried about him regaining rhythm.

Ditty
04-06-2010, 09:01 PM
San Antonio can still potentially get home court in the first round.

and the 2nd seed and second round homecourt also