PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson's status on future of team

sananspursfan21
04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm sure this has been talked about of recent, but since rj seems to be playing like he was supposed to be, will the spurs still try to get rid of him next year? I think it depends on the outcome of the playoffs, but watching them against the celtics, magic and lakers, he looks much more aggressive and isn't even playing bad defense.

the last several games, he has been playing up to my expectations atleast.

the crimson blur
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
It really depends on how he plays in the playoffs.

If we make it to the WCF or beyond, I think there is no way we get rid of him.

jjktkk
04-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm basing my opinion on the Spurs resigning Manu this Summer. With Ginoboli's new contract, I can see the Spurs trying to dump RJ's contract, for financial reasons.

pad300
04-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Well, with his recent play, assuming he keeps it up, he's made a case for keeping him. Particularly as players tend to do better in their 2nd and foregoing seasons with the Spurs. Financially, his contract ends at the right time for SAS, corresponding with the end of this CBA.
On the other side, the Spurs could come out well ahead on talent, trading him this summer. Particularly if they are willing to take a long term contract back. Jefferson for Deng or Iguolda or Jackson might all be possible (yes, most of these would require some filler...), and could be considered strong talent upgrades. A key consideration is Manu: A) Does he resign, and B) How much?

NFGIII
04-06-2010, 02:16 PM
That could go a numebr of ways IMO.

First, I think the POs will have a huge impact on this. If he comes through like many thought he would at the beginning of the season then there might be a chance that he stays. After next season he gets another contract from the Spurs but much more reasonable. I think this happens especially if Splitter comes over.

If the Spurs re-sign Manu then they could dump his contract for financial reasons - just what jjktkk stated. Or since Manu is the reason for RJ's surge they keep him.

If Manu walks then I would look for some takers of his contract, especially if they can't get a guard that is more pass first - the opposite or TP. Until TP shows that he can be the facilitator that Manu is the value of RJ is suspect. RJ needs a Manu type player to be the RJ we've seen lately. IMHO

If Splitter comes and the Spurs re-sign Manu I see no reason not to keep RJ. That is unless some kind of trade comes along that would make this team better by trading RJ, which goes without saying.

Lot of "ifs" here to consider. Wait and see type of situation.

clubalien
04-06-2010, 02:26 PM
if tony is trade higher possibility Rj stays.

scottspurs
04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
I honestly believe we should keep the team how it is for the most part. Other than Roger Mason we should bring everyone back. Sign Tiago splitter, find another steal in the draft, find a cheap shooter and let the chemistry grow with this team. If we don't win the championship this year we should at the very least give this team some playoff chemistry looking towards next season which I believe may be the last hurrah.

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Everything about this teams future depends on the playoffs.

BadOne
04-06-2010, 04:03 PM
If this team has a shot at keeping Tony & re-signing Manu, bringing over Splitter or the pipe dream that is Chris Bosh, then they must move Richard Jefferson. His play has improved, but is still no where near worth the $15 million he'd make under his current contract. Unless he does the improbable and opts out in order to stay in S.A. for less [another pipe dream], I don't think he should be kept...even if the Spurs find a way to win the title this season.

We'll see what happens...

Anyone got a light???:hat

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 04:07 PM
If this team has a shot at keeping Tony & re-signing Manu, bringing over Splitter or the pipe dream that is Chris Bosh, then they must move Richard Jefferson. His play has improved, but is still no where near worth the $15 million he'd make under his current contract. Unless he does the improbable and opts out in order to stay in S.A. for less [another pipe dream], I don't think he should be kept...even if the Spurs find a way to win the title this season.

We'll see what happens...

Anyone got a light???:hat

chris bosh? lol

Mel_13
04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
For those talking about "dumping" Jefferson's contract, forget about it.

In a salary dump, the team dumping the salary, in theory, loses talent. Thus, Milwaukee traded RJ and took back smaller financial obligations and less talent. The Spurs gave up spare parts and received more talent and greater financial obligations.

RJ could be traded, as some have suggested, for a player like Iggy. In that case, Philly would be dumping salary, not the Spurs. The Spurs would be taking on more future salary, although they could possibly knock 2-3M off of next year's books in such an exchange.

The only contract that realistically could be moved to save big money next year is Parker's. A team with cap space could very well be interested in exchanging Parker for a young player or draft picks, saving 10M+ in 2010-11 salary.

MarCowMar
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
I think financially the only thing that makes sense is to let the contract expire. We're way over the cap and the team is already struggling financially. If we do a trade we have to take back equal contract amounts and we just can't afford that now.

kaji157
04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I think this offseason the Spurs will be shopping everyone outside of TD, mainly to know the market value for their players. If good offers knock on the door then any of Parker, Jefferson and Ginobili might be gone, evendoe Manu is less likely given his playing as of late and how the team desesperately needs him.

BadOne
04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
The salary cap is, in all likelihood, going to be less than it was this year. With younger and more talented teams only getting better, I think Peter Holt acknowledges reality...if they're going to want to stay relavent, staying under the cap anytime soon might be impossible. They're going to have to spend to stay legit. The problem with the RJ deal was that he doesn't entirely [overall this season] fit into this system. The idea of going over the cap to stay competitive though, is still one I'm sure the FO will not abandon in the next coming seasons.

pjjrfan
04-06-2010, 11:29 PM
He is playing a lot better, but damn this dude just finds ways to mess up in crunch time. He missed a FT which would have been big, had not the Kings just lost sight of the basket as they couldn't hit anything, even the open looks they had. then on a miss he bobbles the rebound and loses it out of bouncs. all this late in the game if the Kings get scores on those possessions it'a a close game.

sananspursfan21
04-07-2010, 12:55 PM
if tony is trade higher possibility Rj stays.

tony being traded? i guess the way hill has been playing, parker seems like dead weight. rumor or are you just speculating?