PDA

View Full Version : 'Holliger's Top Defenders' from ESPN Insider today (Hill #2)

GabeIsGone
04-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Wow some serious respect to G. Hill here.

Point Guard:
1. Rajon Rondo
2. George Hill
3. Kyle Lowry
Honorable Mention: Earl Watson, Jrue Holiday, Eric Maynor, Andre Miller, Deron Williams, Raymond Felton

Shooting Guard:
1. Dwyane Wade
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Jason Kidd
Honorable Mention: Thabo Sefolosha, Arron Afflalo, Delonte West

Small Forward:
1. Gerald Wallace
2. LeBron James
3. Ron Artest
Honorable Mention: Martell Webster, Nicolas Batum, Andrei Kirilenko, Shawn Marion

Power Forward:
1. Anderson Varejao
2. Josh Smith
3. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Honorable Mention: Lamar Odom, Kevin Garnett, Kenyon Martin, Serge Ibaka

Center:
1. Dwight Howard
2. Ben Wallace
3. Andrew Bogut
Honorable Mention: Marcus Camby, Brendan Haywood, Kendrick Perkins, Joakim Noah, Tim Duncan, Nick Collison

Defensive Player of the Year: Dwight Howard

copied it off another forum...

emanueldavidginobili
04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Lol g hill shouldn't be number two, love the guy but he's not that outstanding still needs sone time to learn

mogrovejo
04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Disagree big time in some.

PG

1. Westbrook
2. Rondo
3. Hill/Felton

Wing

1. Sefolosha
2. LB James
3. Wallace/LRMAM

PFs
1. Varejao
2. Noah
3. Garnett

Centers
1. Howard
2. Bogut
3. Ben Wallace

GabeIsGone
04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
ya idk how he forgot about westbrook

timvp
04-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow. Hollinger must not watch much Spurs basketball. Since taking over the starting role, Hill's defense has been average -- at best. I'd say his defense against point guards has been below average. Hill's value on the defensive end is his ability to defend swingmen. But he hasn't yet proven to be able to play big minutes and still defend with a lot of energy.

When it comes to defending point guards as a starter, TP > Hill. When TP is actually trying (which hasn't been often this season), he's much better at defending point guards as a starter.

In future years, I think Hill can become a very good defender at point guard but he still gives up way too much dribble penetration -- especially against the better PGs.

ffadicted
04-06-2010, 08:34 PM
lmao no Battier, no Hinrich, Kidd a shooting guard?

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
terrible list.

Lol @ Hill, Kidd and Ben Wallace...

hitmanyr2k
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Sefalosha and Affalo are getting short-changed only because they don't have the star power.

timvp
04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Second team: George Hill, San Antonio (+0.92)
He's a combo guard who owns freakishly long arms that he's learning to use to great effect at the defensive end, but Hill's numbers suffer a bit because he was so often used as a stopper at the 2. He can defend that spot capably but at 6-3 gives up some inches.

It's at the 1 where Hill is a real defensive force, which is one reason San Antonio has held up so well in Tony Parker's absence.

Uh, Hollinger has this backwards. Hill doesn't defend top flight point guards very well but his ability to shift over and defend swingmen has allowed the Spurs to punish teams with cross-matchups.

jestersmash
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Ginobili is a better perimeter defender than Hill.

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I didn't read it, what metric does Hollinger use for his defensive rankings?..

dbestpro
04-06-2010, 08:51 PM

He didn't use a metric for this analysis he used the apothecary system.

jestersmash
04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Hill's got length with his beastly arm span, but he's actually mediocre if not subpar in terms of lateral movement.

Ginobili, on the other hand, may not have the length, but he expends greater energy on hustle/lateral movement on perimeter defense...when it counts at least.

Certainly as our offensive juggernaut it would behoove him not to go ultra hard 100% of the time on both ends of the floor, but when he has to turn it "on" on the defensive end, I'd rather trust Ginobili guarding the opposing team's best perimeter player over Hill.

Russ
04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Hill and Bogans have keyed the defensive resurgence.:flag:

Pauleta14
04-06-2010, 09:01 PM
ginobili is a better perimeter defender than hill.

+1

duhoh
04-06-2010, 09:10 PM
lmao no Battier, no Hinrich, Kidd a shooting guard?

seriously, but in hollinger's statistical standpoint, players like battier are garbage, when i believe he's probably the hardest working defender out there in the league

jdev82
04-06-2010, 09:47 PM
RONDO IS A TERRIBLE DEFENDER this list sucks balls

itzsoweezee
04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Hill's definitely an elite defender when compared to other point guards. I don't know what
games you guys are watching.

Ice009
04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Can someone give me a recap on what's going on? Why are we down? Is Parker not meshing? Why did he return so fast? What reason did they gicve?

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Pop obviously still overrates Hill's defense because he Keeps running him out there to defend against superior, superstar players like Kobe, Dirk and LeBron. I like Hill too and he's an occasional, above-average defender at best. However, even with his extended reach, he's too short to be matched up against the elite players of the NBA. The kid is Bruce Bowen.

MI21
04-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Hollinger obviously hasn't watched much Spurs basketball this season.

Hill is pretty average defensively at the moment. Against the quicker players with good dribble moves who are aggressive at the hoop, he struggles. Isn't rebounding like I thought he would and also commits a lot of shooting fouls. This isn't to say he hasn't played well, because all around he is already looking better than I ever thought he would be. But defensively he has been very average.

Unbelievable that Hollinger would have him above somebody like Westbrook, who heads one of the best defenses in the league, pressures the ball carrier better than anyone in the NBA, rebounds well for a PG and fares well on the statistical aspects of defense. (spg and bpg)

vander
04-07-2010, 12:17 AM
unfortunately the two words "Jason Kidd" discredit the entire article :lol

Dalamar_the_Dark
04-07-2010, 02:10 AM

Its called HOLLINGER'S Ratings. Probably some silly and confusing combination of stats that no one really understands.

Guess the guy needs some way off keeping his job.

Btw, the list is stupid.

spursrocks
04-07-2010, 06:43 AM
like parker BUT...
he is slower, not the same when he won his finals MVP. now that he is slower, he is a defensive liability.
he just came of an hand injury so his jump shot will be affected. and he cant shoot the 3.
he depends mainly on his speed, which he doesnt have right now.
SO..
continue to start Hill, gino, dick, dice, and duncan.
hill on the otherhand, can defend.(he defended kobe and kevin durant well, do you think parker can do that?)
hill can spot up for 3point shot. when manu drives he can find an open hill. but parker?
just let parker come of the bench. parker the 6th man.
if he cant accept that role, then he is IVERSON 2.0
period.