PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Temple the next Bruce Bowen?

ceperez
04-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Garrett Temple... yes that D-league guard that we have at the end of the bench... seems to have some intriguing potential.

In college, he really didn't do much. According to DraftExpress:

"It’s extremely rare to see a player average 34 minutes per game and score just 6 points in that span, shooting under 40% from the field, 30% from beyond the arc, and barely getting to the free throw line in the process. Most teams at any level of basketball just cannot afford to have a player on the court that simply is not a threat to score, and until Temple shows otherwise, that’s the only way he can currently be labeled."

Unlike the prototypical Spur guard, Temple doesn't can't seem to hit a 3pt shot with any consistency.

The thing though that I find intriguing about him are

(1) He seems comfortable playing point and handling the ball. I think he's better than Mason and Hill in this department. Mason and Hill are decent but not exceptional ball handlers.

(2) He's got Bruce Bowen's length and quickness.

Now, he needs to improve in 2 areas... he's got to bulk up and he's got to learn how to hit the 3. If he can do both during the summer, I definitely think he can make the Spurs roster. That's of course a big-IF.

Andy25
04-06-2010, 10:52 PM
He kinda looks like him too. Well if he shaved his head... egg heads!

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I like him a lot too. I don't mind the Spurs having a 3rd PG with his intelligence, length and defensive capabilities.

EricB
04-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Much smaller much better offensive game. I like him as the back up point going into next year

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2010, 11:11 PM
wow tap the brakes there bus driver

ceperez
04-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Just watch him play, he seems unbelievably comfortable ( for a rookie ) with the ball and also without the ball.

I mean, the last play, he was inbounding the ball from behind the basket and was running out of time. Didn't panic, but found the open man.

Now if you look at say Hairston and he has trouble dribbling and passing.

Mason, always does the same thing on offense, dribbles immediately even if isn't necessary. Also Mason is terrible when going to the hoop.

Bogans, terrible Passer and seems to be like a fish out of water when he penetrates to the hoop.

If this guy can hit the consistent spot up 3, he's a great role player to have.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Right now Garrett Temple is a poor man's George Hill.

And that's not really that bad for a 3rd stringer.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
way better than mason tbh

G-Dawgg
04-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Tell Bruce Bowen this, see what he says about that....

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 11:24 PM
fail.

Juanobili
04-06-2010, 11:27 PM
the dude has potential. hope he sticks around

tothrowed
04-06-2010, 11:27 PM
temple > bogans,mason

kaji157
04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
He kinda looks like him too. Well if he shaved his head... egg heads!

beat me to it, both have the same looks.

alchemist
04-06-2010, 11:37 PM
He got smoked by Evans (Who didn't? Well Manu perhaps), tomorrows game will be great to see how he does against pick and roll master Steve Nash (whom Bowen would shut down in crucial moments).

Sisk
04-06-2010, 11:37 PM
This forum's pendulum swings from west to east at such an accelerated speed

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
This forum's pendulum swings from west to east at such an accelerated speed

:bking

EricB
04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
He got smoked by Evans (Who didn't? Well Manu perhaps), tomorrows game will be great to see how he does against pick and roll master Steve Nash (whom Bowen would shut down in crucial moments).

Bad matchup IMO. Evans is much thicker and bigger and could back him down and move him easily. IMO Ginobili should've started on Evans and Temple on Udrih.

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2010, 11:40 PM
His offense has looked above average as a Spur(in regards to poise and just playing a smart game) and his D has looked below average IMO..pretty much the opposite of the scouting report..

CFH
04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
I'd take him over Mason.

alchemist
04-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Bad matchup IMO. Evans is much thicker and bigger and could back him down and move him easily. IMO Ginobili should've started on Evans and Temple on Udrih.
Excellent point, Evans was using brute force and speed against Temple.

exstatic
04-06-2010, 11:52 PM
If he can put up even his d-league percentages, 42% FG 37% 3G, the Spurs can polish his defense and have a nice player. He seems more than willing. He just needs to get a little coaching on positioning, stances, not to reach out over the ball. Once he learns to beat the man to the spot, he can start denying position, or drawing the charge if his man forces the issue.

ohmwrecker
04-06-2010, 11:58 PM
He played very well tonight. Mason should definitely be worried. I don't think Bowen is a very accurate comparison. He is nowhere near the defender that Bowen was, but he has a much better handle and is a better finisher. He kind of reminds me of a young, small Grant Hill. Same kind of skill set. I think it will be hard for him to crack the playoff roster, but if he keeps this kind of production up while GHill is out, Pop will have a hard time justifying keeping Mason over Temple.

raspsa
04-06-2010, 11:59 PM
I missed most of the game due to a power outage. How did Temple get his points?

exstatic
04-07-2010, 12:03 AM
He played very well tonight. Mason should definitely be worried. I don't think Bowen is a very accurate comparison. He is nowhere near the defender that Bowen was, but he has a much better handle and is a better finisher. He kind of reminds me of a young, small Grant Hill. Same kind of skill set. I think it will be hard for him to crack the playoff roster, but if he keeps this kind of production up while GHill is out, Pop will have a hard time justifying keeping Mason over Temple.

After asking out, I don't think the Spurs have any intention of keeping Roger Mason. The Spurs are back up to 14 players, and my guess for the playoff inactives would be Gee and Mahinmi.

NFGIII
04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Great game against Sac! He looked way more comfortable than I expected him to be but maybe that is due to him playing with thoses Sac guys and knowing their tendencies. Tomorrow against the Suns will be more telling but he does show potential. Whether that materializes or not is the question that will be answered next year. Right now he is just filling in and hopefully doesn't melt down in the following games.

As for being the next Bowen it's way too early to speculate on that. Those types of players don't come around all that often so if I had to make a prediction right now it would be NO. But if he develops he can be a nice player for the Spurs.

HarlemHeat37
04-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I envision training camp will be more along the lines of Jerrells vs. Temple for the ball-handling/PG position, with Hairston vs. Gee vs. Bogans for the "athletic wing" role, at least IMO..the 1st round pick could change that though..obviously way too early to talk about it, but it's nice that the Spurs have some cheap options on the perimeter..

ohmwrecker
04-07-2010, 12:11 AM
After asking out, I don't think the Spurs have any intention of keeping Roger Mason.
I meant in the playoff rotation. I know Mason won't be here next year.

Ice009
04-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Great game against Sac! He looked way more comfortable than I expected him to be but maybe that is due to him playing with thoses Sac guys and knowing their tendencies. Tomorrow against the Suns will be more telling but he does show potential. Whether that materializes or not is the question that will be answered next year. Right now he is just filling in and hopefully doesn't melt down in the following games.

As for being the next Bowen it's way too early to speculate on that. Those types of players don't come around all that often so if I had to make a prediction right now it would be NO. But if he develops he can be a nice player for the Spurs.

I actually thought maybe Pop started him because he knows Sacramento and knows the players so he would have been more comfortable out there.

aksyunstar
04-07-2010, 12:15 AM
oh same here. i guess youre from the Phils.:rolleyes

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 12:17 AM
I envision training camp will be more along the lines of Jerrells vs. Temple for the ball-handling/PG position, with Hairston vs. Gee vs. Bogans for the "athletic wing" role, at least IMO..the 1st round pick could change that though..obviously way too early to talk about it, but it's nice that the Spurs have some cheap options on the perimeter..

I think Gee could really be apart of the rotation next year.. His game might be better than Hairstons... Although I've always been a Hairston fan. I'm just not too familiar with Gee's Defense.

NFGIII
04-07-2010, 12:18 AM

Mainly layups, 4 FTs and he did hit one 3 pt shot.

Temple Free Throw 1 of 2: (1 PT)
Temple Free Throw 2 of 2: (2 PT)
Temple 3 point shot: Made (5 PTS)
Temple Running Bank shot: Made (7 PTS)
Temple Driving Layup Shot: Made (9 PTS)
Temple Driving Layup Shot: Made (11 PTS)
Temple Pullup Jump shot: Made (13 PTS)
Temple Free Throw 1 of 2 (14 PTS)
Temple Free Throw 2 of 2 (15 PTS)

All in all a pretty good effort by him.

robot89
04-07-2010, 12:18 AM
is temple eligible for the playoffs??

EricB
04-07-2010, 12:21 AM
I think Gee could really be apart of the rotation next year.. His game might be better than Hairstons... Although I've always been a Hairston fan. I'm just not too familiar with Gee's Defense.

Gee isn't familiar with defense.

Who knows, that could change.

raspsa
04-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Mainly layups, 4 FTs and he did hit one 3 pt shot.

Temple Free Throw 1 of 2: (1 PT)
Temple Free Throw 2 of 2: (2 PT)
Temple 3 point shot: Made (5 PTS)
Temple Running Bank shot: Made (7 PTS)
Temple Driving Layup Shot: Made (9 PTS)
Temple Driving Layup Shot: Made (11 PTS)
Temple Pullup Jump shot: Made (13 PTS)
Temple Free Throw 1 of 2 (14 PTS)
Temple Free Throw 2 of 2 (15 PTS)

All in all a pretty good effort by him.

thanks. I did get to see him make the last 2 FTs.. he has a nice, smooth stroke. It seems he can score in a variety of ways. I hope he gets more PT and we get to see more of his defensive game.

NFGIII
04-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I actually thought maybe Pop started him because he knows Sacramento and knows the players so he would have been more comfortable out there.

During the post game interview with him that did come out. So you are probably right and the Spurs needed ball handling and we all know that isn't Mason's forte so what did Pop have to lose? If it didn't go well he just pulls the guy and figures something else out. Worth a shot and it paid off for them.

Pop is such a genius, right?

EricB
04-07-2010, 12:24 AM
His jumper form kinda looks like Jason Hart's...

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 12:26 AM
is temple eligible for the playoffs??

yes

tothrowed
04-07-2010, 12:43 AM
wtf bogans is coming back next year

Flux451
04-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Like what I see so far. He pushes the ball and doesn't do too much.

duncan228
04-07-2010, 01:00 AM
“Garrett was fantastic tonight,” Popovich said. “It’s really impressive to see a young guy go out there and be that aggressive and not worry about making mistakes. I thought he was really important to our win tonight.”

jjktkk
04-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Pop is such a genius, right?

Don't say genius, some of the more respected members on ST will chastise you. Try really good coach. :toast

timvpimp
04-07-2010, 01:15 AM
sometimes D-League doesn't prove shit IMO. One doesn't need a good brain to play elegant games in D-League but will probably turn shit as soon as he signs with and joins an NBA team where the strategies are way more complex, for which you've got an example in Matt Carroll who was the D-League MVP once upon a time.

SenorSpur
04-07-2010, 01:17 AM

I fully expect the addition of an athletic SF, by way of the draft. There are several that could potentially be available at the Spurs pick. This SF should be talented enough of a player, that he could easily come in as an immediate backup to Jefferson. After playing one year, he could then be fully groomed to taker over as starter in year 2. The potential addition of such a player would stiffen the competition at that spot and, as you stated, change things considerably.

jjktkk
04-07-2010, 01:20 AM
I fully expect the addition of an athletic SF, by way of the draft. There are several that could potentially be available at the Spurs pick. This SF should be talented enough of a player, that he could easily come in as an immediate backup to Jefferson. After playing one year, he could then be fully groomed to taker over as starter in year 2. The potential addition of such a player would stiffen the competition at that spot and, as you stated, change things considerably.

Totally agree with you on the Spurs drafting a sf with their 1st pick this Summer. But its nice to have a few, young, sgs like Temple, Gee, and Hairston, to hopefully be able to get into the Spurs rotation next year.

SenorSpur
04-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Totally agree with you on the Spurs drafting a sf with their 1st pick this Summer. But its nice to have a few, young, sgs like Temple, Gee, and Hairston, to hopefully be able to get into the Spurs rotation next year.

Absolutely. With the potential of a new, rookie SF, along with the expected increased rotation time for Hairston, the continued emergence of Blair and the development of Temple as a backup PG, I'm liking the potential makeup of next year's roster. I managed to even refrain from mentioning the anticipated arrival of Splitter and the hopeful resigning of Ian. :lol

TD 21
04-07-2010, 01:37 AM
You know what this means? It means Pop will find a reason for Mahinmi to not be active during the playoffs. Anything to avoid having size in uniform. Watch Temple somehow be activated ahead of him.

He had a nice game, has looked decent, but I hope Pop doesn't do something stupid like that. Yeah, neither will be in the rotation, but there is no conceivable role for Temple, whereas Mahinmi could be useful if a Spurs big(s) get's in foul trouble or get's injured. You want to be covered at every position just in case.

jjktkk
04-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Absolutely. With the potential of a new, rookie SF, along with the expected increased rotation time for Hairston, the continued emergence of Blair and the development of Temple as a backup PG, I'm liking the potential makeup of next year's roster. I managed to even refrain from mentioning the anticipated arrival of Splitter and the hopeful resigning of Ian. :lol

DAMN!, by next season Pop's gonna lose the rest of his hair, trying figure out what to do with all of these damn youngsters.

jestersmash
04-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Temple has earned some solid, meaningful playing time in future regular season games and highly limited minutes during playoffs, that's...it.

I think some of us are taking a single game (albeit a "breakout" one for temple) way too seriously.

Yes, he looked comfortable, yes he shot well, yes he contributed phenomenally for a rookie with virtually no experience, but let's not make him into the next george hill. He has a long way to go, but he's earned more minutes to show it, that's it.

jestersmash
04-07-2010, 01:46 AM
And by highly limited I really mean garbage time if we're up, say, 30 with 2 minutes left.

HarlemHeat37
04-07-2010, 01:48 AM
I agree..I'd say he earned future regular season minutes, but definitely have to take into consideration that this was against Sacto and it was a team he's familiar with..

Temple had actually played pretty poorly in the previous games with the Spurs, so let's see if it was a one time thing or if he can do it again when called on..hopefully the latter..

ceperez
04-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Temple has earned some solid, meaningful playing time in future regular season games and highly limited minutes during playoffs, that's...it.

I think some of us are taking a single game (albeit a "breakout" one for temple) way too seriously.

Yes, he looked comfortable, yes he shot well, yes he contributed phenomenally for a rookie with virtually no experience, but let's not make him into the next george hill. He has a long way to go, but he's earned more minutes to show it, that's it.

That's what's intriguing about this kid. He's very comfortable in the Spurs offense. I mean you got vets like RJ, Bogans and McDyess that look completely lost at times.

This guy is a rookie, never really played NBA ball and he just seems to fit seamlessly.

His game seems so effortless and the way he feeds the ball to Duncan seems to be without effort. (Could it be that the Kings played pathetic defense?)

However, I like this guy for defending PG and SG of the opposing teams. He's got the length and quickness to be disruptive enough.

He definitely doesn't have the upside of George Hill, but he's going to be a good role player. The big plus for him is that he's 6'6" unlike Hill at 6'2".

stéphane
04-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Pops Mensah syndrom is back to ST.

Maybe we can wait a couple of games before labeling him Bruce's heir.
But nice showing for a D-leaguer anyway.

Manufan909
04-07-2010, 07:54 AM
If the Spurs are truly going cheap, hopefully that means:

1) Ian will get resigned for cheap, if not that then let go.
2) Mason and Bonner are gone. If Bonner doesn't leave, there is no point in #1, regardless of what Splitter does.

benefactor
04-07-2010, 08:46 AM
There is no "next Bruce".

dbestpro
04-07-2010, 08:52 AM
The next Bruce Bowen is playing for the Bucks. His name is Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.

wildbill2u
04-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Of course Pop was pretty much forced to use Temple against SAC--but has anyone noticed that he has actually given the end of the bench--even Mahinmi--some minutes instead of shortening up the rotation to just the vets?

So unlike Pop as to be remarkable.

jjktkk
04-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Of course Pop was pretty much forced to use Temple against SAC--but has anyone noticed that he has actually given the end of the bench--even Mahinmi--some minutes instead of shortening up the rotation to just the vets?

So unlike Pop as to be remarkable.

Define remarkable? Pop's won four championships. What exactly does it take to be remarkable?

ceperez
04-14-2010, 10:45 PM
bump!

I claim first post to identifying this diamond in the rough!

alchemist
04-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Spurs are picking up some very cheap, high quality players, maybe this D-League thing will be a major factor in the future.