PDA

View Full Version : If the Spurs win against PHX

Biggems
04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
does that move them into sole possession of 5th place?

itzsoweezee
04-06-2010, 11:23 PM
no, phoenix has two less losses.

Josh810
04-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Nope, they're 2.0 games behind 5th place.

Biggems
04-06-2010, 11:24 PM
oh ok...maybe I was actually looking at OKC instead of PHX when I was looking at the records......my bad

Biggems
04-06-2010, 11:28 PM
well if we beat PHX, we are only 1 game behind them in the standings then.

Damn, had we just won vs NJ, Atl, and Cleveland. We would be the 2 seed right now if we could have those 3 games back.

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 11:28 PM
A lot can change by the end of tomorrow night..

Denver playing OKC
Spurs playing Phoenix
Dallas playing memphis
Utah playing Houston
Portland playing LAC.

should be interesting.

jestersmash
04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
That will be our 3rd game in 4 nights, and on the back end of a back to back, and it's at Phoenix, and it's PHOENIX aka lots of running.

I'm honestly saying this just as a preemptive strike against the slew of 'SEASONS OVER GUYS WE'RE TERRIBLE' that i'm semi expecting to come if we lose tomorrow...let's not let it get to that.

I know we're playing great but with fatigue issues I wouldn't be surprised if we lose tomorrow, but what's more is we shouldn't let it get to us.

Biggems
04-06-2010, 11:40 PM

Denver playing OKC
Spurs playing Phoenix
Dallas playing memphis
Utah playing Houston
Portland playing LAC.

should be interesting.

So if these teams win

OKC
SA
Memphis
Houston
Port

LAL
Utah 51-28
Dal 50-28
Den 50-28
PHX 50-28
SA 49-29
OKC 49-29
Port 48-30

Crookshanks
04-06-2010, 11:41 PM

Denver playing OKC
Spurs playing Phoenix
Dallas playing memphis
Utah playing Houston
Portland playing LAC.

should be interesting.

yeah - because spots 3-5 are all tied. The Western Conference is crazy! :hat

the crimson blur
04-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Big underdogs this game. Schedule does not do us any favors in this one. Don't be shocked if we drop this one.

Frankly though, I'm not sure I even want a high seed. The scary teams are at the bottom (see: OKC) and the easier ones are at the top (Dallas, Denver).

Biggems
04-06-2010, 11:45 PM
I firmly believe we can beat Utah in a 7 game series, even though they swept us.

If we could somehow draw Denver in the first round, I think we can beat them. Then get Utah/OKC in the 2nd round and beat them. That most likely leaves us playing the Lakers, unless PHX or Dallas are able to upset them. I dont know if we can beat LA in a 4 game series, though I think we can take it to at least 6 games.

I will say this, if we are by some crazy ass act of karma, able to win the West, I know we can beat Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, and Atlanta.

EricB
04-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah those three give away games on the road in march realllly sting.

You get them back, your sitting in the two spot and hoping to hang on and think about facing the Thunder.

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Yeah those three give away games on the road in march realllly sting.

You get them back, your sitting in the two spot and hoping to hang on and think about facing the Thunder.

so many games we let get away from us.. no reason we shouldn't be a 2 seed right now.

Who would you prefer first round Ericb? besides OKC,Portland since its highly unlikely.

spursfaninla
04-06-2010, 11:50 PM
If you go just by the odds makers, it would be this:

La
ut 52-27 (b2b, away, weak opponent, could go either way, does not matter)
Dal 51-27 (who cares)
phx 51-27 (rested, at home)
den 50-28 (away, playing bad)
ok 49-29 (at home against den, which is playing bad)
port 48-30 (away but at clipps)
SA 48-30 (b2b, away, strong team)

:(

Really, all that matters to us is how port and Ok play. Although if denver keeps playing bad they might help us. I doubt dallas or phx slip that far.

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 11:53 PM
we just need to keep rooting against the thunder... no matter how much it looks like we can jump up to that 4 seed it isn't very likely. We are a lot more likely to drop down to 8 then to climb that far... which means we need OKC to lose every game possible so the worse we end up is 7.

So go Nuggets tomorrow!!

the crimson blur
04-06-2010, 11:54 PM
You should care how Dallas finishes too. Spurs have a very legit shot of catching them. We have a game against them later and hold the tiebreaker already. If we win that game, we are only 1 loss behind for the division, guaranteeing a top 4 seed.

Dallas just needs to keep losing and we need to keep winning. Its a slim chance, but we definitely do have a chance at the division.

jestersmash
04-06-2010, 11:55 PM
If you go just by the odds makers, it would be this:

La
ut 52-27 (b2b, away, weak opponent, could go either way, does not matter)
Dal 51-27 (who cares)
phx 51-27 (rested, at home)
den 50-28 (away, playing bad)
ok 49-29 (at home against den, which is playing bad)
port 48-30 (away but at clipps)
SA 48-30 (b2b, away, strong team)

:(

Really, all that matters to us is how port and Ok play. Although if denver keeps playing bad they might help us. I doubt dallas or phx slip that far.

I like this better, it's realistic and practical.

Let's be real, there's a strong chance we're going to lose to PHX tomorrow, they've been resting since fucking Saturday for Christ's sake!

I mean obviously I would want nothing more than a win in PHX tomorrow, but I'm also realistic.

Maybe if they were they Nets.... oh wait :lol

exstatic
04-06-2010, 11:59 PM
The only team we have the tie-breaker against, IIRC, is OKC. We could finish in a 5 way tie for positions 2-6, and we'd draw 6th position unless one of the other teams was OKC.

I'm OK with the six spot. It's a decent first round matchup right now, and keeps us out of LA's bracket until the WCFs. We also don't have to KILL ourselves holding it, most likely. OKC plays @ DEN tommorrow, and they might drop that one, too.

Biggems
04-07-2010, 12:01 AM
The only team we have the tie-breaker against, IIRC, is OKC. We could finish in a 5 way tie for positions 2-6, and we'd draw 6th position unless one of the other teams was OKC.

I'm OK with the six spot. It's a decent first round matchup right now, and keeps us out of LA's bracket until the WCFs. We also don't have to KILL ourselves holding it, most likely. OKC plays @ DEN tommorrow, and they might drop that one, too.

if we beat PHX, Denver, and Dallas........I believe we end the season series tied with all 3. We own the series vs OKC. Utah owns it against us.

EricB
04-07-2010, 12:02 AM

Yeah I like the Dallas matchup. It forces Pop to stay big, Mcdyess guards Dirk well. RJ is a good matchup. The Spur killer Josh Howard is gone. Hill has shown he can guard Terry and Terry is haing a down year. Duncan beasts Haywood. I think Blair matches up well vs them, and I think would work well against the Mavs.

I like the matchup vs Dallas. Plus, if they played em in the first round, I'd be in Dallas at the time and would definately go to game 1 :smokin

exstatic
04-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah I like the Dallas matchup. It forces Pop to stay big, Mcdyess guards Dirk well. RJ is a good matchup. The Spur killer Josh Howard is gone. Hill has shown he can guard Terry and Terry is haing a down year. Duncan beasts Haywood. I think Blair matches up well vs them, and I think would work well against the Mavs.

I like the matchup vs Dallas. Plus, if they played em in the first round, I'd be in Dallas at the time and would definately go to game 1 :smokin

I like either DAL or Utah as a matchup. The nice thing is, if we beat one, we're likely to play the other in the 2nd round. :)

Biggems
04-07-2010, 12:09 AM
actually i was a bit off

if we win tomorrow, we win the season series against PHX, since we only play them 3 times and we are 1-1 against them.

we are 1-2 vs Denver and Dallas so far. We tied the Lakers, won the series vs OKC, and got swept by both Portland and Utah.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
I'll rather stay in 7th or 6th place than end up in the 5th.

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
I'll rather stay in 7th or 6th place than end up in the 5th.

prob.

Pentagruel
04-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Jumping Dallas in the seedings is a very real possibility. If Dallas loses one more game then us during the final stretch the season finale will be for the division since we end up 2-2 (if we win) and hold the tiebreakers vs Dallas. With the way Dallas has been playing lately and the way the Spurs are playing lately i'd actually give it a 50-50 chance to win the division and a top 4 seed. That Is what we should be aiming for.

spurs10
04-07-2010, 12:21 AM
we just need to keep rooting against the thunder... no matter how much it looks like we can jump up to that 4 seed it isn't very likely. We are a lot more likely to drop down to 8 then to climb that far... which means we need OKC to lose every game possible so the worse we end up is 7.

So go Nuggets tomorrow!!
Ex%^&(zactly!

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Call me crazy but to me Phoenix is the team I would like to avoid... besides LA of course.

I know we own them psychologically but this team isn't exactly the same, and I think they would take out years of frustration out of on us + they are playing as well as anyone right now.

Im kinda confused on Utah.. In the beginning of the season I wanted to avoid Denver at all costs but now im not sure about them either.. K-mart is supposed to come back soon so that should help them, but karl being out round 1 will hurt them.

Dallas is overrated.

VBM
04-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Dallas is overrated.

Against most of the league? Yes. Against us? Horrible matchup. We still have no answer for Dirk, we make scrubs like JJ Barea look like real NBA players...I want to avoid Dallas almost as much as LA. My dream standings would be this

1. LA vs. 8. OKC (the Kobe-Durant showdown would be epic)
2. Utah vs. 7.Portland
3. Denver vs. 6. Spurs (esp. if K-Mart is still banged up and Karl out)
4. Dallas vs. 5. Phoenix (Spurs could get to the WCF without facing LA, Dallas or Phoenix on the way...I'd take it)

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Against most of the league? Yes. Against us? Horrible matchup. We still have no answer for Dirk, we make scrubs like JJ Barea look like real NBA players...I want to avoid Dallas almost as much as LA. My dream standings would be this

2. Utah vs. 7.Portland
4. Dallas vs. 5. Phoenix (Spurs could get to the WCF without facing LA, Dallas or Phoenix on the way...I'd take it)

word.

would you rather play denver with a healthy k-mart but no karl or utah first round?

lennyalderette
04-07-2010, 01:50 AM
That will be our 3rd game in 4 nights, and on the back end of a back to back, and it's at Phoenix, and it's PHOENIX aka lots of running.

I'm honestly saying this just as a preemptive strike against the slew of 'SEASONS OVER GUYS WE'RE TERRIBLE' that i'm semi expecting to come if we lose tomorrow...let's not let it get to that.

I know we're playing great but with fatigue issues I wouldn't be surprised if we lose tomorrow, but what's more is we shouldn't let it get to us.

def. agree with you on this and theres more to come after a lowsy 1 day of rest then yet another back to back but if we cant handle it we shouldnt be going to the finals or wcf!!! so either we get younger or keep figuring out how to get old players to last longer! i really dont mind doing it for timmy and manu though they are excellent loyal spurs players, but pop needs to stop signing old dudes already its getting well.. . . old (wuank wuank wuannnnk):p:

lennyalderette
04-07-2010, 01:55 AM

2. Utah vs. 7.Portland

:sombrero: hell yeah

Sean Cagney
04-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Spurs vs Denver it might be, but I would not doubt us vs Utah in round one! I am just saying I would not doubt it.

jb4g
04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
well if we beat PHX, we are only 1 game behind them in the standings then.

Damn, had we just won vs NJ, Atl, and Cleveland. We would be the 2 seed right now if we could have those 3 games back.

This

even to have 2 of those wins right now would be huge, Would have us right there with DAL for the division lead and a top 4 seed.

urunobili
04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
2. Utah vs. 7.Portland

:drool:

wijayas
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Big underdogs this game. Schedule does not do us any favors in this one. Don't be shocked if we drop this one.

Frankly though, I'm not sure I even want a high seed. The scary teams are at the bottom (see: OKC) and the easier ones are at the top (Dallas, Denver).

Yep. I am mentally prepared that we'll drop this one.

Sec24Row7
04-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm prepared that we lose this game...

But who knows... it is PHX... They are the Spurs...

Not necessarily a great combination for a PHX win...

VBM
04-07-2010, 10:34 AM
word.

would you rather play denver with a healthy k-mart but no karl or utah first round?

I think so. I think Boozer gives Timmy more problems than a healthy K-Mart. When Denver smoked us back in January, he was raining mid-range jumpers on us...I'm willing to gamble on the idea that he won't hit with that percentage again.

jiggy_55
04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Jumping Dallas in the seedings is a very real possibility. If Dallas loses one more game then us during the final stretch the season finale will be for the division since we end up 2-2 (if we win) and hold the tiebreakers vs Dallas. With the way Dallas has been playing lately and the way the Spurs are playing lately i'd actually give it a 50-50 chance to win the division and a top 4 seed. That Is what we should be aiming for.

Doubtful. Dallas will have to lose 2 matches minimum, and the Spurs would have to go unbeaten for them to be tied. or Dallas to lose 3, and the Spurs lose 1. Remember, we have @PHX, @DEN, @DAL. Not an easy schedule, definitely all winnable games, but chances are we don't win all three of these tough games meaning we'd need Dallas to lose 3 in 5.

They play MEM, @POR, @SAC, @LAC, SA. It's expected they win 3 of those games as a minimum as the grizzlies, kings and clippers don't exactly pose such a threat this late in the season with nothing to play for.

5in10
04-07-2010, 10:53 AM
word.

Denver. They don't have the discipline to beat us in a 7 game series. Utah nor Denver can stop Timmy or Manu, but if I had my choice it would be denver because Karl is the only thing that keeps that team together, and him missing affects them a lot.

jiggy_55
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Denver. They don't have the discipline to beat us in a 7 game series. Utah nor Denver can stop Timmy or Manu, but if I had my choice it would be denver because Karl is the only thing that keeps that team together, and him missing affects them a lot.

Agreed, Karl looks likely to miss some games or even rounds, and the Nuggets are looking weak. K-mart is out and may not return soon enough and will be very rusty. I believe he JUST returned to practice, possibly yesterday.

Remember, parker had been practicing for quite a while before making his return, and he was rusty last night. Martin will need longer to brush off the rust.

BronxCowboy
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
word.

Definitely Denver, Kmart or no Kmart. I'm surprised that there aren't more people saying that the one team we should hope to avoid is the Jazz. They always play the Spurs tough, they're playing well recently, and they did sweep the Spurs this season.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Some of you guys are overrating how hard this game will be for SA. Them being on a B2B makes it tough, but Jaron Collins (yup him) is the only healthy guy on the Suns roster who will be able to make scoring remotely difficult or exhausting for TD, and is also the only guy capable of stopping Duncan from having a huge night on the glass. He'll see a lot of Frye and Amare in the post, which will lead to a lot of double teams and a lot of open shooters. As big a night as Duncan can have, the Suns wing defense has been the biggest problem all year, Dick Jef and Manu are in store for huge nights.

Does anyone know if that Temple guy is starting again? I could def. see Pop opening the game with him on Nash, Pop has always been one of the few coaches who knows Nash is bothered a lot more by taller, bigger defenders who can fight through screens and hurt his court vision than he is by extremely athletic defenders.

pawe
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't be worried that much as long as Manu is playing. TD and the other bigs should also feast tonight with the absence of Lopez.
But hey, they're the Suns, they still have the Amare and Nash PNR.

ohmwrecker
04-07-2010, 11:45 AM
We own the Suns. Amare can score 40pts and Nash can dish 15 dimes and we can still beat the Suns. We need every win possible just to hold position and possibly(fingers crossed) get the 4 spot and HC in the first round. Let's do this!

Baseline
04-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm interested to see how Dice does against Amare tonight. I realize we're on the 2nd of a B2B, but I think Dice can slow him a bit.

If Amare scores under 28, the Spurs definitely win.

VBM
04-07-2010, 02:17 PM
We need every win possible just to hold position and possibly(fingers crossed) get the 4 spot and HC in the first round. Let's do this!

Screw the 4th spot. I'll take LA in the WCF, not the 2nd round. Homecourt doesn't mean much for us IMO

Xylus
04-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm interested to see how Dice does against Amare tonight. I realize we're on the 2nd of a B2B, but I think Dice can slow him a bit.

:lmao Good one.

Amare's the only Sun the Spurs can't really stop, or choose not in favor of covering the shooters. Pop rarely doubles Amare because it frees up our shooters, giving Nash more flexibility. If all the shooters are covered, Amare does his damage, but no one else does anything. But McDyess won't do shit on Amare. If Duncan can't stop him, that old ass man Dice won't either.

Anyway, I don't know who's going to win this game. Everytime I'm sure the Suns are going to win a game against the Spurs, something bizarre happens and I turn out to be wrong.

The sooner this game is over, the better.

jestersmash
04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
I fear the Suns more than I fear the Lakers. Amare can go off for 40+ on any given night, and Nash is crafty as hell with a phenomenally high basketball IQ.

Yeah I know, it sounds odd. We've taken them out every time in the playoffs, but I still fear them more than the Lakers, at least at this moment in time.

ohmwrecker
04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Screw the 4th spot. I'll take LA in the WCF, not the 2nd round. Homecourt doesn't mean much for us IMO

Whatever. If LA is the best team then we are going to have to play them anyway. I don't see why it matters. HC in the 1st would be huge, but I'm just glad the Spurs are in with a chance to upset somebody. I don't care about dodging teams. That's a real lame way to go into the playoffs. Wrong attitude, Bubba.