PDA

View Full Version : NBATV game telecasts suck

SenorSpur
04-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Please indulge me while I rant a bit.

It was supposed to be "fans night" on NBATV and the Spurs game was supposed to be the network tilt. However the network elected to make several decisions to hamper the game-watching experience.

It seems the NBATV network geniuses decided to interrupt the Spurs telecast at various intervals to provide "bonus coverage" of other games around the NBA. They broke in to show the end of the Knicks/Celtics (who cares). Then the network clowns decided to do a total cutaway to broadcast the final minutes of a close ball game between OKC and Utah. To compound the issue, instead of switching back to the Spurs game during commerical breaks, they elected to stay with the Utah game until the very end.

If that wasn't enough, the network decided to provide so much extended pregame studio coverage, that they were late covering the start of the Spurs game. In fact, by the time they joined, the game about 2 mins in. Furthermore, coming out of each commerical break, they feel compelled to constantly switch back to the studio to get expert commentary from Ernie Johnson, Chris Webber & Kevin McHale. Which really amounted to nothing more than these clowns joking about what they saw and relating game events to the "good old days" when they played.

Finally, I lost still more Spurs game coverage when the Kings announcers (we were forced to sit through their call for this game), decided to invite Bobby Jackson courtside for a live, in-game interview. Boy, that was a nice touch.

The NBATV telecasts are a freaking joke. As a League Pass subscriber, I expect to get the game of my choice in its entirety. I didn't sign up for this crap. i didn't know if anyone else had the same issue.

This concludes my rant.

DesignatedT
04-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Lol. Bobby jackson tribute night.

duncan228
04-06-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm ticked too. If they feel they have to cover another game, use a split-screen. To break away entirely from the game I'm paying to see is just wrong. I want to see every minute of the Spurs, it's the reason I pay for LP and NBA TV.

FvckMavs
04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
well said! senorspur

Sant1ago
04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
i'm ticked too. If they feel they have to cover another game, use a split-screen. To break away entirely from the game i'm paying to see is just wrong. I want to see every minute of the spurs, it's the reason i pay for lp and nba tv.
+1

CFH
04-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Agreed, if I wanna watch a different game I'll switch to that channel, that's what league pass is for, right???

Sisk
04-06-2010, 11:43 PM
lol bobby jackson

arodz
04-07-2010, 12:15 AM
This also just in: Water is wet and the sky is blue.

Man In Black
04-07-2010, 12:23 AM

It was supposed to be "fans night" on NBATV and the Spurs game was supposed to be the network tilt. However the network elected to make several decisions to hamper the game-watching experience.

It seems the NBATV network geniuses decided to interrupt the Spurs telecast at various intervals to provide "bonus coverage" of other games around the NBA. They broke in to show the end of the Knicks/Celtics (who cares). Then the network clowns decided to do a total cutaway to broadcast the final minutes of a close ball game between OKC and Utah. To compound the issue, instead of switching back to the Spurs game during commerical breaks, they elected to stay with the Utah game until the very end.

If that wasn't enough, the network decided to provide so much extended pregame studio coverage, that they were late covering the start of the Spurs game. In fact, by the time they joined, the game about 2 mins in. Furthermore, coming out of each commerical break, they feel compelled to constantly switch back to the studio to get expert commentary from Ernie Johnson, Chris Webber & Kevin McHale. Which really amounted to nothing more than these clowns joking about what they saw and relating game events to the "good old days" when they played.

Finally, I lost still more Spurs game coverage when the Kings announcers (we were forced to sit through their call for this game), decided to invite Bobby Jackson courtside for a live, in-game interview. Boy, that was a nice touch.

The NBATV telecasts are a freaking joke. As a League Pass subscriber, I expect to get the game of my choice in its entirety. I didn't sign up for this crap. i didn't know if anyone else had the same issue.

This concludes my rant.

I get pissed off with how 4-letter does the same thing at times to our team. Like when winning 05, they cut to PJax saying he's coming back to coach the LAL...WTF?

Jacob1983
04-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Games on NBATV do tend to suck ass because you don't actually get to watch the entire game. They will have EJ, McHale, and Webber talking about the game and then EJ will say something like "let's get you back to the action already joined in progress" or something. They need to do what Versus and NHL Network do and just show the damn game. When Versus and NHL Network show a game using a regional sports channel's feed, they usually only cut away from the game during commercials and the intermissions. And another thing that is annoying is how NBATV tries so hard to put their logo over all of the regional sports channel's logos and graphics when a game is on.

Mr. Body
04-07-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm more or less okay with them cutting away for thrilling finishes, but what's crazy is how much time they devote to these bums chatting amiably about this 'n that while the game is clearly going on. I don't want NBATV to hear McHale and Webber's thoughts. I want to see the game.

Flux451
04-07-2010, 12:50 AM
I hate the extended split screen with the NBATV gang giving us unnecessary insight. Couldn't even tell what the fuck was goin on in the game. NExt time, vote no for Fan night. LP please. Props to the broadcasters in SAC. Good stuff.

ElNono
04-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Next time they have a 'fan night', we need to organize and vote out the Spurs from their telecast. I was incredibly pissed off too.

ElNono
04-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I hate the extended split screen with the NBATV gang giving us unnecessary insight. Couldn't even tell what the fuck was goin on in the game. NExt time, vote no for Fan night. LP please. Props to the broadcasters in SAC. Good stuff.

If by 'insight' you mean chatting up how did Nate Robinson did in his return to the garden, then they can shove it up their asses.

Flux451
04-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Yeah, but great to see Mchale around. I like what he says...but we don't have to see him talking bout whatever.

braeden0613
04-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Yeah it's especially annoying when you have LP BB and not NBA tv and can't watch the game. Thanks NBA!

jestersmash
04-07-2010, 01:42 AM
NBA league pass is such a useless product, seriously. I'm saying straight up - a service that blacks out games if they are shown nationally or locally is worthless to me.

Actually, I'm really talking about NBA LP broadband.

An infinitely more useful service would be one (that you pay for, legally) that allows you to watch any game over broadband, regardless of national/local televising.

I would pay $300+ per year for such a service.

NBA LP broadband has been such a useless piece of shit to me it's disgusting. Never buying it again.

Calavera
04-07-2010, 03:00 AM
the commentators from SAC where terrible :) one of them was cleary a redneck hahha what an accent! it was like different language :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2010, 05:59 AM

This concludes my rant.

:tu

Muser
04-07-2010, 07:09 AM
How did San Antonio vs Sacramento get the vote?!?

easy7
04-07-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm glad that game on NBA TV was blacked out in SA. So I saw it in SSW.

TheChillFactor
04-07-2010, 07:42 AM
God I hate Webber. He hasn't even been retired long but he talks like he actually did something in his career. We just finished watching you suck ass like 2 years ago....

Dice
04-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Completely agree with the OP on all points.

mexicanjunior
04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
A split screen would have been nice during the in studio chatting. I can understand them cutting away to the end of the Jazz-Thunder game when Spurs-Kings were in quarters 1-3 but no excuse not to do a split screen when they were close in the 4th.

That said, I don't hate Webber, Mchale and EJ...they aren't bad.

SpurCharger
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
God I hate Webber. He hasn't even been retired long but he talks like he actually did something in his career. We just finished watching you suck ass like 2 years ago....
Lmao! Agreed 100%.... He Talks Like He Was The Greatest Power forward To Live.... All The Guy Was Shoot Jumpers.... 6'10 Jump Shooter.... Wasnt any better then Matt Bonner His Last 2 years...

elbamba
04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I hate the split screen because I can't see the basketball game. Why anyone thinks that people are interested in seeing the commentators in the middle of the game is beyond my comprehension.

JR3
04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
I agree. I was frustrated... but I let it slide this time because the end of the okc jazz game effected our standings... we slid into a tie with okc and own the tie breaker. Plus it wasn't a bad game to see the end of.. still think Durant got fouled. Anyways...I'm with you, on any other night I would be pissed, just not this one. NBATV still Sucks! I'm glad they have EJ now, but its just a tease because I miss barkely and the jet.

TimDunkem
04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
None of this affected me because I can never watch a game featuring the Spurs on NBAtv. It's always blacked out here. Why?

TimmehC
04-07-2010, 10:38 AM
My first day having NBA TV(yesterday) didn't exactly convince me it was worthwhile to get it.

MarCowMar
04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
NBA TV sucks.

TXstbobcat
04-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Since my move from Austin to Minneapolis league pass has been the only way that I can still watch all of my Spurs games. My main complaints about league pass are that I have missed several games the past few years that were televised on ABC (but not in my region), and that the picture quality of alot of the games are terrible (really fuzzy picture quality).

nkdlunch
04-07-2010, 11:16 AM
EJ sucks ass w/out Barlkey and Kenny.

His jokes are lame as shit, sound like that shitty comedian, the father in Full House

bus driver
04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
My first day having NBA TV(yesterday) didn't exactly convince me it was worthwhile to get it.

how much do you all pay for this? do you not live in SA?
just asking.....although i usually cringe when the games are on abc because i enjoy the land/elliott telecast or if they are on the east coast PJ/land.

Spurs Brazil
04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I hate when the game is on NBATV.
Ernie Johnson, Chris Webber & Kevin McHale can't stop talking and the game is going

Flux451
04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
NBATV itself doesn't suck. But the fan night game recently suck

Whisky Dog
04-07-2010, 04:34 PM
The cut for the finish of Utah/OKC was fine, but no studio commentary was necessary for that. They should have just cut to action then had Spurs on during dead ball moments. That braodcast did suck.

Spurs1234
04-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I totally agree, glad i am not the only one that was cursing at my tv. I think first off, how did the spurs and sactown win this vote. i can't believe the cavs game didnt win it. So from a normal nba fan, I probably wouldnt be interested in spurs kings, the kings suck. The fan game should have been utah vs. okc. But your right, if your going to show the spurs game, how about actually cover it. They were constantly late going to the game, and i wish it was just ont he plain league pass.

Chico
04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Commentary last night was horrible. I get NBATV as part of my cable package so I'd rather watch than not be able to watch at all.

Chico
04-07-2010, 10:11 PM
None of this affected me because I can never watch a game featuring the Spurs on NBAtv. It's always blacked out here. Why?

I think it's blacked out for home/local games?