PDA

View Full Version : Manu to sign extension

Pages : 1 [2]

ElNono
04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
He doesn't want to just leave. he would prefer to stay with the Spurs.

He made clear in no uncertain terms that he would test the waters if he didn't like what the Spurs offered. I'm sure he would have stayed for a little less money, but not for half as much. It's basically his last NBA contract.

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 07:44 PM
letting him walk for nothing is better for the future success of this team than signing him for 40 mil, that 40 mill will get us a couple extra wins next year, but in 2011/12 and 2012/13, it will destroy our ability rebuild, to sign players who are actually worth the money

I thought you said it was bad for next year.

who do the Lakers overpay?

Bynum, Artest, Morrison, Walton

who have any of those teams overpaid?

Rashard Lewis ring a bell? Anderson Varejao? Zydrunas Ilgauskas? Kenyon Martin? Eric Dampier?

and how many of them have championships?

Quit moving the goalposts.

Lakers open the wallet for premium talent, not for nostalgia
Cavs and Magic are trying to keep top young talent from leaving, so over-paying now for a few guys to keep their Stars happy will pay off for them in the long run.
the Mavs continually spend as much as possible, and still no titles, even with a top all-time player in Dirk.
and the Nuggets have a better record than the Spurs, with a payroll 5 million less, right now, before Manu's contract even starts :lol

More moving the goalposts. Might as well, since your idea to let Manu walk so the Spurs can spend it on no one is pretty stupid.

vander
04-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Really? Can you tell me how much they're paying for the Walton/Vujacic/Fisher trio?

I guess you magic ball can also tell you Kobe will be worth the $30M they'll be paying him 3 years from now... :rolleyes

yeah those are huge, terrible, crippling contracts :lol

and Kobe's contract will hurt them, that is kind of a legacy situation, all time great, career Laker, etc.

there's a difference between the 2nd best (maybe even best) player of all time, and just another good NBA player, you can bet the Lakers would never pay 40 million for an aging Manu

CubanMustGo
04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5064686

7:14 pm update

The San Antonio Spurs and guard Manu Ginobili have agreed to a three-year extension worth $38.9 million, a league source confirmed Wednesday.

The deal is the maximum the Spurs are allowed to offer Ginobili under the current collective bargaining agreement, based on Ginobili's current salary and age (32).

The contract will not be completed before Ginobili and the team return to San Antonio from their current road trip and the possibility remains the deal could fall apart. Whatever concerns the Spurs might have about Ginobili's injury issues over the last few seasons, though, have been allayed by his performance the last two months.

Ginobili said he has been physically fine since the start of the season, but that he had "a mental issue" to overcome about finishing around the rim.

Ginobili has been with San Antonio since 2002. He's averaging 16.6 points and 5.6 assists per game this season.

He could have become a free agent after the 2010 season ends for the Spurs, who are tied for sixth in the Western Conference standings entering Wednesday's games.

Ginobili's value to San Antonio is heightened by the fact that as a Spanish-speaking Argentine, he is immensely popular in San Antonio's Hispanic-rich market.

Ric Bucher is senior NBA writer for ESPN The Magazine.

rascal
04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
He made clear in no uncertain terms that he would test the waters if he didn't like what the Spurs offered. I'm sure he would have stayed for a little less money, but not for half as much. It's basically his last NBA contract.

He made it clear he wanted to stay with the Spurs. No one said it would be for half as much.

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I have not, and you have changed the terms to next year. (signing Manu probably futilely helps us a little next year, but we won't be a contender anyways, so what's the point? 40 million for a few extra regular season wins in 2010/11)

:rollin

I guess the Spurs have no desire to remain competitive after this year :wow:(

How would signing Bonner for 3 years/30 million make the Spurs less competitive?

Because he'd be playing most likely if signed.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I guess someone thinks that Manu's money should've been saved to re-sign Bonner for something like $50m/4 years. Now that's a smart deal.

ElNono
04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
yeah those are huge, terrible, crippling contracts :lol

They add up to more than what Manu would make on the tail end of this deal... enough said.

and Kobe's contract will hurt them, that is kind of a legacy situation, all time great, career Laker, etc.

And Ginobili is not a legacy, career Spur situation? He will most likely will be a HoF, and by the time it's all said and done he might actually end up with more titles than Kobe. He'll definitely get his jersey retired by the Spurs.

there's a difference between the 2nd best (maybe even best) player of all time, and just another good NBA player, you can bet the Lakers would never pay 40 million for an aging Manu

Gino is an elite guard in this league, period. This is simply not arguable.
What we're paying is merely market value.

ElNono
04-07-2010, 07:55 PM
He made it clear he wanted to stay with the Spurs. No one said it would be for half as much.

Some have. That's what MLE money is.

rascal
04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I always said that Parker and Manu will remain with the spurs as long as Pop is still with the team.

Brazil
04-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm still unsure what the plan is with Tony. He seems determined to play for the national team at least 2 of every 4 years. This lead to the issues with him this year and Manu the last couple years. If Tony has suitors for the 2010 cap space players who miss out on Bosh, LeBron and Wade, Tony could be an option.

In your opinion this signing for this amount change something for TP situation ?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Great to hear, although they are massively overpaying for a guy who is 32 and whose body is probably going to break down during the contract.

Still, glad he's being extended... it's not my money! :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Did someone really suggest signing Bonner for 10mil/yr? :lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Great to hear, although they are massively overpaying for a guy who is 32 and whose body is probably going to break down during the contract.

Still, glad he's being extended... it's not my money! :lol

I have a feeling that Hill's emergence coupled with Manu's play has the front office thinking they can swing a trade for Parker or Jefferson (or both) this summer.

lennyalderette
04-07-2010, 08:03 PM
i called it our friend told us that ginobili told him "lets just say i got kids coming", no but you gotta have 1000 posts to get heard on this board and again believe me parker is leaving and im glad the spurs chose a guy who cares about us.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Dyess is worth what he's making? and what about RJ, Manu's better than RJ, how dare we offer him less than 15 mil per year.

or is the logic here that one mistake deserves another, and that in turn another, and...

By the time the Spurs signed Dice he was averaging 9pts and 9rbds, if for the FO that's MLE worthy then what Manu is doing is definitely worth a lot more.

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Holy crap, I missed that the first time around. Now it all makes sense why vander's posts are so ridiculous: he's a 12 year-old Kobe nuthugger.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
How would signing Bonner for 3 years/30 million make the Spurs less competitive?

I hope this isn't a Vander's quote.

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Holy crap, I missed that the first time around. Now it all makes sense why vander's posts are so ridiculous: he's a 12 year-old Kobe nuthugger.

:lol

ElNono
04-07-2010, 08:10 PM

You didn't know he was a Lakerfan?

jestersmash
04-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I love it when guys on a message board try to play "virtual GM" like they for sure know how to manage the team better than R.C. Buford and Pop.

I mean, what has RC Buford/Pop's management gotten us over this last decade? A measly 4 rings?

Probably could've been 6 or 7 if vander were at the helm. Maybe even 12 or 13. That's right you heard me, 13 championships in 10 years. Vander's just that good.

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 08:11 PM
You didn't know he was a Lakerfan?

No, I just thought he was slow.

lennyalderette
04-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm also surprised by the 13M/year value, but concidering he was WAY underpaid for his actual contract...

Good for him, good for the Spurs and...... good for us!

this is what people need to understand the guy was way underpaid, but i guess you can say he was paid about right for being injured so long.. however i feel like ginobili is actually the opposite of what you guys are saying i think he will be playing great basketball at 35 i almost swear on it, because his body yes has had some injuries but nothing ever broken or major if you think about it and hes learned to be a lot more careful with what he can and cant do! look at steve nash and hes been playing for ever without taking breaks, and hes playing that great pass/shoot/drive basketball that ginobili plays, and to me ginobili will be healthier than nash by 35. i dont see manu slowing down at all look at grant hill i mean that guy had serious injuries but has now learned what his body doesnt react well to and is playing solid manu has done the same this year

vander
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I thought you said it was bad for next year.

nope, someone else trying to put words in my mouth

Bynum, Artest, Morrison, Walton

Bynum is a great young talent, Morrison was actually part of a salary dump. a dozen teams would have given Artest that contract, that's market rate, and Walton is a smart player who might be a little overpaid but not much, and he isn't getting worse as his contract gets bigger. those are all pretty much terrible examples, that team spends much more than the Spurs and still spends it all smarter

Rashard Lewis ring a bell? Anderson Varejao? Zydrunas Ilgauskas? Kenyon Martin? Eric Dampier?

really? really? all of those guys signed contracts going INTO their prime, not 5 years past it, not to mention what I already said about Cuban's spending, and keeping young stars, that you just ignored. "moving the goalposts", no it is you moving them, all over, trying to find any other overpaid player on a good team to justify Manu.

Might as well, since your idea to let Manu walk so the Spurs can spend it on no one is pretty stupid.

MLE, and it's a 3 year deal, you'd rather us continue to not have cap room while the team gets worse and older? there goes all of our 2011 cap room, guess we'll have no choice but to overpay Parker just like Manu, better than letting him walk for nothing, and then before you know it, it's 2013 and we're still clutching to (and paying for) the past, still in a slow decline, no longer even a playoff team, instead of rebuilding in 2010-2012 and being on the way back up.

you're pretty short-sighted, caring only about next year.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:18 PM

You're pretty delusional if you think the Spurs could have signed Manu for the MLE.

ElNono
04-07-2010, 08:20 PM
It gets better with every post... So it's OK for the Lakers to pay market value for Artest, who is actually on a more pronounced decline than Manu, but the Spurs should not pay market value for Ginobili? :lmao

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:21 PM

No, just putting your own words in your mouth.

Now answer the question.

How does this extension make the Spurs less competitive next year?

vander
04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I love it when guys on a message board try to play "virtual GM" like they for sure know how to manage the team better than R.C. Buford and Pop.

I mean, what has RC Buford/Pop's management gotten us over this last decade? A measly 4 rings?

Probably could've been 6 or 7 if vander were at the helm. Maybe even 12 or 13. That's right you heard me, 13 championships in 10 years. Vander's just that good.

well, I don't know about 13, that's a little extreme, but thank you, I'm flattered :lol

but seriously, don't fool yourself, RC/Pop get Zero rings without TD/the ping pong balls, but TD still gets at least 4 rings wherever he might have ended up.

what's the point of even coming here with an attitude of the FO knows best because they are the FO? you just come here to sing their praises? I doubt they read much if any of this stuff, if you want them to know how awesome you think they are, try fan-mail, or the telephone, or stalking :lol

MaNu4Tres
04-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Very deserving for Manu.

Considering how Kobe got a 3 year extension for roughly 84 million, 40 million/3 years for Manu is a great deal for both sides.

Glad to see Holt and his investors still committed to winning for years to come!!

vander
04-07-2010, 08:25 PM
No, just putting your own words in your mouth.

Now answer the question.

How does this extension make the Spurs less competitive next year?

wow, so you can't understand how paying double the value for talent hurts a team AND, just like baseline-bum, you think the future ends after next year :lol:lol:lol

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Yeah, you were putting words in your mouth :lmao

I guess the Spurs have no desire to remain competitive after this year

Bynum is a great young talent, Morrison was actually part of a salary dump. a dozen teams would have given Artest that contract, that's market rate, and Walton is a smart player who might be a little overpaid but not much, and he isn't getting worse as his contract gets bigger. those are all pretty much terrible examples, that team spends much more than the Spurs and still spends it all smarterreally? really? all of those guys signed contracts going INTO their prime, not 5 years past it, not to mention what I already said about Cuban's spending, and keeping young stars, that you just ignored. "moving the goalposts", no it is you moving them, all over, trying to find any other overpaid player on a good team to justify Manu.

I'm not moving any goalposts, kobe fan. You said bad teams overpay players, and I gave you lots of examples of the top teams in the league overpaying players. You're the one continually making up excuses.

MLE, and it's a 3 year deal, you'd rather us continue to not have cap room while the team gets worse and older? there goes all of our 2011 cap room, guess we'll have no choice but to overpay Parker just like Manu, better than letting him walk for nothing, and then before you know it, it's 2013 and we're still clutching to (and paying for) the past, still in a slow decline, no longer even a playoff team, instead of rebuilding in 2010-2012 and being on the way back up.

So your solution is let Parker walk too? And cap room? Who the fuck cares about cap room? San Antonio has never been and will never be much of a free-agent destination. They had tons of it in 03 and got Radoslav Nesterovic out of it, despite having one of the youngest cores to ever win a title.

I care about not losing one of the three most important players on the team for nothing. Letting Ginobili walk for a fantasy about 2011 completely throws the towel in on this team ever competing for another title before going back to the lottery and winning a #1 pick again.

vander
04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
You're pretty delusional if you think the Spurs could have signed Manu for the MLE.

if we can't then we don't

MaNu4Tres
04-07-2010, 08:28 PM
wow, so you can't understand how paying double the value for talent hurts a team AND, just like baseline-bum, you think the future ends after next year :lol:lol:lol

Manu has been underpaid his entire career besides the year and a half before the all-star break this year.

Spurs will not be paying double the value for the talent of Manu, unless he's injured.

He's worth every penny.

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 08:29 PM

It's a stupid analogy. Bonner's a bad player who doesn't deserve a contract period and Ginobili is one this team absolutely cannot win without.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:32 PM
if we can't then we don't

Well, but then the "competitiveness" you want on the Spurs would be gone.

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 08:33 PM

12 year-old Kobe fans don't want the Spurs to be competitive.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Still avoiding the question.

You said that this extension makes the Spurs less competitive next season.

Now if want to back away from that contention, that is understandable, but you stand by it yet are unwilling to explain it.

So do the right thing. Admit you were wrong with your initial statement or explain how the Spurs are better next year without Manu.

Stop the dancing and backtracking.

Pentagruel
04-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Personally I think that if Manu can stay healthy he will be worth every penny of this extension. I do not think he will decline dramatically over the next three years as to no warrant a 3-year 40 million paycheck. Hell, Kobe is recieving more then 80 million in the same time-slot and I would argue Manu has more left in the tank then he does.

Certainly this extension gives us a better shot to win next year. The real question is, even with Manu, do we have a legitimate chance to win a title next season and is that chance worth the risk of destroying your cap space for the future? I think it's a close call but with the stellar play of the team at the close of this current season I have hope that with some more time and a few very minor tweaks to the roster this offseason we have a good enough chance to win to take that risk.

Lastly... Manu Ginobili is a special player for the Spurs, and it makes me happy that he likely finishes his career in San Antonio, even if its a risky decision for the franchise.

Cherry
04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
1- Hell YEAH!:toast

2- RUMOR: In 15 days, Manu will announce to the C.A.B.B he won't play this Summer.

vander
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah, you were putting words in your mouth :lmao

I'm not moving any goalposts, kobe fan. You said bad teams overpay players, and I gave you lots of examples of the top teams in the league overpaying players. You're the one continually making up excuses.

many failures of logic here, first, none of those players were overpaid to the extent Manu is being overpaid, only a couple are even close, most of them have specific situations that demanded a little overpayment for future returns, others were trades, and then Dallas :lol is Dallas really a model of how to successfully spend money? Dallas overpays, so we should too :lol

but the #1 failure of logic here is that I said overpaying players is what bad teams do, I did not say good teams never overpay players. you look across the rosters of the bad teams in this league, and you will see that their money is mostly misspent, and Spurs will soon be among them.

So your solution is let Parker walk too? And cap room? Who the fuck cares about cap room? San Antonio has never been and will never be much of a free-agent destination. They had tons of it in 03 and got Radoslav Nesterovic out of it, despite having one of the youngest cores to ever win a title.

I would have wanted to trade Parker this off season, but what's the point now anymore, we're forced to watch the continued steady decline of the Spurs as build around the Big 3. 47 wins next year, 44 the next...

I care about not losing one of the three most important players on the team for nothing. Letting Ginobili walk for a fantasy about 2011 completely throws the towel in on this team ever competing for another title before going back to the lottery and winning a #1 pick again.

you think this team can win a title next year with these same guys another year older? :lmao

you lose every player eventually, we're going to lose Manu one way or another, from a basketball ability standpoint, we've already lost much of him, as well as TD, yet you want to keep paying for 110% of Manu while he's at 60% and falling fast

I want a return to contention, it appears as though you don't really care about the post-big 3-Spurs, or title contention, you just want to see the same old Spurs as long as possible, no matter how far they have fallen.

vander
04-07-2010, 09:02 PM
You said that this extension makes the Spurs less competitive next season.

please quote where I used the words "next season"

and do you think anyone is fooled by this childish little play you're making? you think you're really making any kind of arrangement here?

please learn to read, please learn to think.

raise the bar

MaNuMaNiAc
04-07-2010, 09:06 PM
why is everone arguing with vander on this?? Seriously, do you people not know who he is?

vander
04-07-2010, 09:09 PM

well, you are a Spurs fan from Argentina, so I can't really fault you for thinking that Manu will continue to play like the last 3 weeks for the next 12 years.

competitive, as you are using it, was probably the wrong word in my original post here, surely we will be "competitive" with Manu here, over the next 2, maybe even 3 years, in the way that Charlotte, or Houston, is "competitive" now. and for many of you here, that is apparently good enough.

I meant competitive as to compete for the title again after a brief rebuilding process.

a few games over .500 and a first round exit isn't competitive in my book

vander
04-07-2010, 09:10 PM
why is everone arguing with vander on this?? Seriously, do you people not know who he is?

when you can't argue, label FTW

Spurs Brazil
04-07-2010, 09:11 PM
JMac_SAENManu says extension not done, but "it's closer than it's ever been." "We should have something in a day or two," he says. #spurs

http://twitter.com/JMac_SAEN

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/04/manu-extension.html

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 09:11 PM
please quote where I used the words "next season"

The quote has been provided numerous times. Here it is again:

Those are your words and the meaning is clear, that the Spurs are competitive this year and will no longer be so after this year as a result of the extension. Next season is after this year.

So are you going to answer the question?

How does this extension make the Spurs less competitive next season?

ElNono
04-07-2010, 09:12 PM

What is there to argue? That your crystal ball is better than mine?
You've been unequivocally wrong about Manu before, I see no reason why you can't continue to be...

ElNono
04-07-2010, 09:13 PM
http://twitter.com/JMac_SAEN

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/04/manu-extension.html

As usual, Mac is late to the party...

MaNuMaNiAc
04-07-2010, 09:14 PM

yeah because we haven't heard all this bullshit from you before. I can argue, but for so long... before I realize you're just hating. Your whole bullshit argument lies on the premise that Manu is done and what he is playing now is just a fluke. The same bullshit you've been spewing for years now. You were wrong then, what the fuck makes you think you'll be right now?

P.S. You've been labeled for some time now, this thread's idiotic back and forth notwithstanding

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a feeling that Hill's emergence coupled with Manu's play has the front office thinking they can swing a trade for Parker or Jefferson (or both) this summer.

Me too, and I wouldn't be opposed to trading either. Despite his resurgence at the end of the season, Jefferson is clearly a poor fit, and although I love TP and respect all he's done for the team, his body is starting to wear down, and for a player who relies on speed to be effective, that is a disaster - trade him while his value is still high, hopefully after a good playoffs.

Just think though - we could have grabbed Salmons at the deadline and solidified the swing rotation, but the FO passed... maybe they have bigger plans?

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
many failures of logic here, first, none of those players were overpaid to the extent Manu is being overpaid, only a couple are even close, most of them have specific situations that demanded a little overpayment for future returns, others were trades, and then Dallas :lol is Dallas really a model of how to successfully spend money? Dallas overpays, so we should too :lol

Andrew Bynum is overpaid worse than Manu. Luke Walton is overpaid worse than Manu. Rashard Lewis is overpaid worse than Manu. Kenyon Martin is overpaid worse than Manu. Eric Dampier is overpaid worse than Manu.

but the #1 failure of logic here is that I said overpaying players is what bad teams do, I did not say good teams never overpay players. you look across the rosters of the bad teams in this league, and you will see that their money is mostly misspent, and Spurs will soon be among them.

So what exactly was the point of saying overpaying players is what bad teams do, if all the best teams do it too? It's obvious the direction you were arguing in, but you once again had to go back and change things when your point got shot down again.

I would have wanted to trade Parker this off season, but what's the point now anymore, we're forced to watch the continued steady decline of the Spurs as build around the Big 3. 47 wins next year, 44 the next...

What would you trade Parker for? Please tell.

you think this team can win a title next year with these same guys another year older? :lmao

I said compete for a title, as in make playoff runs and maybe get lucky and pull one off like in 07. So yeah, having an outside shot at a title beats the hell out of losing your best players and wasting Duncan's final two years.

you lose every player eventually, we're going to lose Manu one way or another, from a basketball ability standpoint, we've already lost much of him, as well as TD, yet you want to keep paying for 110% of Manu while he's at 60% and falling fast

I get it. Your philosophy is why even try?

I want a return to contention, it appears as though you don't really care about the post-big 3-Spurs, or title contention, you just want to see the same old Spurs as long as possible, no matter how far they have fallen.

No, you want to chase a bird in the bush when you have two in your hand.

Spursfanfromafar
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
He is Manu Ginobili and He is going to be a Lifelong Spur. Thanks, Peter Holt!

DPG21920
04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
What I don't get is why yall argue with him?

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Just think though - we could have grabbed Salmons at the deadline and solidified the swing rotation, but the FO passed... maybe they have bigger plans?

I think the FO may be able to swallow the Manu extension and Splitter for the MLE, but they may not be able to manage those two plus 6M for Salmons next year. The spot that Salmons would have filled next year will likely be filled with a rookie or minimum-salaried player.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 09:22 PM
What I don't get is why yall argue with him?

For the same reason that you watch a dog chase it's own tail.

vander
04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
The quote has been provided numerous times. Here it is again:

Those are your words and the meaning is clear, that the Spurs are competitive this year and will no longer be so after this year as a result of the extension. Next season is after this year.

So are you going to answer the question?

How does this extension make the Spurs less competitive next season?

:sleep

so, "the future" is "next year"
while that is your creation, and obviously not how I was using it, if you could read, I've actually explained numerous times in this thread what will be happening over the next few years, "next year" included,

so I ask you again to learn to read and comprehend, this little gotcha! word-play game was lost from the start, It's really sad to see you continue to repeat is for so many posts.

DPG21920
04-07-2010, 09:24 PM
For the same reason that you watch a dog chase it's own tail.

How did you know I like to do that? :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2010, 09:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5064686

7:14 pm update

The San Antonio Spurs and guard Manu Ginobili have agreed to a three-year extension worth $38.9 million, a league source confirmed Wednesday.

The deal is the maximum the Spurs are allowed to offer Ginobili under the current collective bargaining agreement, based on Ginobili's current salary and age (32).

The contract will not be completed before Ginobili and the team return to San Antonio from their current road trip and the possibility remains the deal could fall apart. Whatever concerns the Spurs might have about Ginobili's injury issues over the last few seasons, though, have been allayed by his performance the last two months.

Ginobili said he has been physically fine since the start of the season, but that he had "a mental issue" to overcome about finishing around the rim.

Ginobili has been with San Antonio since 2002. He's averaging 16.6 points and 5.6 assists per game this season.

He could have become a free agent after the 2010 season ends for the Spurs, who are tied for sixth in the Western Conference standings entering Wednesday's games.

Ginobili's value to San Antonio is heightened by the fact that as a Spanish-speaking Argentine, he is immensely popular in San Antonio's Hispanic-rich market.

Ric Bucher is senior NBA writer for ESPN The Magazine.

So, Manu gets a slightly inflated contract of nearly 13mil/yr to finish his career. I have said for months that I thought a DRob-style 10mil contract would be about right, but given that Manu took less than he could have gotten elsewhere to remain a Spur in his last contract, this is a nice tip of the hat from Holt, effectively a thank you for his past sacrifices. I'm down with that. Also, if Manu were allowed to leave it would cost the Spurs far more than 3mil/yr (or even 6mil/yr if you want to assume this keeps them over the lux tax) in lost revenues because Manu is so popular. It all makes sense, really.

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM

while that is your creation, and obviously not how I was using it, if you could read, I've actually explained numerous times in this thread what will be happening over the next few years, "next year" included,

so I ask you again to learn to read and comprehend, this little gotcha! word-play game was lost from the start, It's really sad to see you continue to repeat is for so many posts.

You mean backtracked and ignored where you wrote explained, right?

BackHome
04-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I am glad for Manu and for the Spurs I think he will earn his money but Pop is going to have to treat him more like Timmy regarding minutes and back to back.

So next year our salary is 64.135 mill for eight players...Timmy, Richard, Tony, Dice, Hill, Blair, Malik, and Gee. So if we keep Temple thats almost 65 mill and then sign Splitter, re sign Bonner and our number one draft pick thats probably close to what 71 mill for 12 players?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I think the FO may be able to swallow the Manu extension and Splitter for the MLE, but they may not be able to manage those two plus 6M for Salmons next year. The spot that Salmons would have filled next year will likely be filled with a rookie or minimum-salaried player.

Please don't cherry pick my posts - quote the whole thing.

If they move RJ and/or Parker over the offseason (as I said in the post), Salmons could have fitted nicely at a reasonable price.

Actually, I think they ignored Salmons because he seems to need the ball to be effective, and that doesn't really fit with the current Spurs model.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM

The future clearly includes next year and you said the team would not be competitive after this year.

You've been asked repeatedly to explain how the extension makes the team less competitive next year. Clearly you won't do so for the most obvious reason. You can't.

So you're not going to answer the question.

Gotcha.

itzsoweezee
04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
worth every penny

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 09:36 PM

If they move RJ and/or Parker over the offseason (as I said in the post), Salmons could have fitted nicely at a reasonable price.

Actually, I think they ignored Salmons because he seems to need the ball to be effective, and that doesn't really fit with the current Spurs model.

Not my intention to cherry pick your post.

I just always viewed the decision not to acquire Salmons, or Thomas for that matter, as attributable to their price tags for next season and the potential impact their acquisition would have on the team's ability to acquire Splitter and to keep Manu.

L.I.T
04-07-2010, 09:36 PM

I agree with this. Salmons on the Bulls earlier this season was trying his best to fit in, but just was not effective. He's thrived being the go-to point producer on the Bucks (backed up by his performance last year on the Kings and Bulls).

I do not believe that TP will be traded this offseason. As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised to see him get an extension. At the moment, the only players they have signed past next season are Manu/TD/Hill/Blair. If Splitter comes over he'll be an additional piece. The signing of Manu (and the line about Holt clearly wanting him signed) indicate to me that the Spurs ownership is still fully behind getting a championship before TDs current contract expires.

A group of TP/Hill/Manu/TD/Splitter/Blair + a dart board throw of Gee/Hairston/Temple/Jerrels/Gist/de Colo + whatever could potentially be netted with the RJeff+Dice expirings + veteran free agent signings has the potential to still be a quality team in 2011-2012 (the last year of TDs contract).

As I said though in the another thread, I do not forsee TP being traded for an established star, it will be to jumpstart the rebuilding process by bringing in young players and draft picks.

diego
04-07-2010, 09:40 PM

he's special, he only makes sure bets. because winning championships requires having good contracts, just look at the teams that have been in the finals the past few years: boston, orlando, la...

Im glad they got it done. but its sad that, were it not for precisely the line of thinking vander is using, had the spurs shown a little faith they could have extended him for 10, maybe even less.

every player is a risk, and they dont grow on trees...

vander
04-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Andrew Bynum is overpaid worse than Manu. Luke Walton is overpaid worse than Manu. Rashard Lewis is overpaid worse than Manu. Kenyon Martin is overpaid worse than Manu. Eric Dampier is overpaid worse than Manu.

mostly untrue, (homervision) and all completely ignorant of context to suit your arguement

So what exactly was the point of saying overpaying players is what bad teams do, if all the best teams do it too? It's obvious the direction you were arguing in, but you once again had to go back and change things when your point got shot down again.

so you either do or don't? there's no scale? fine, don't believe me. go on thinking that overpaying is fine, that we'll continue to contend for titles, just like the Lakers who are wasting all that money on Walton and Bynum :lol I guess you'll just have to see it with your own eyes before you believe it

What would you trade Parker for? Please tell.

I don't know, lottery pick, Rudy Gay sign and trade, you put out the word that you're open to offers and see if a good one comes up

I said compete for a title, as in make playoff runs and maybe get lucky and pull one off like in 07. So yeah, having an outside shot at a title beats the hell out of losing your best players and wasting Duncan's final two years.

it will be NO SHOT at a title for the next 3 years at least, probably more, instead of a short rebuild, and back in contention in 2-3 years

no, you apparently don't get it at all, it's know the value of NBA talent, and get the most talent for your dollar, and understand career arches, buy low, sell high... simple concepts really

No, you want to chase a bird in the bush when you have two in your hand.

except we have one old frail bird in hand and there are lots and lots of cheaper younger birds in the bush

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Not my intention to cherry pick your post.

I just always viewed the decision not to acquire Salmons, or Thomas for that matter, as attributable to their price tags for next season and the potential impact their acquisition would have on the team's ability to acquire Splitter and to keep Manu.

No problem, it was just that what I said in the second para actually depended on the first. ;)

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Rudy fucking chucker Gay for Tony Parker?!?! LMAO stupid Kobe fan. Game's on now, kid. Maybe I'll come back at halftime to hear more retarded crap from you.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 09:47 PM
No problem, it was just that what I said in the second para actually depended on the first. ;)

Understood :toast

diego
04-07-2010, 09:47 PM
except we have one old frail bird in hand and there are lots and lots of cheaper younger birds in the bush

exactly what i was talking about... who are these younger birds that we can pick up for next year, or do you want to blow the team up? if you want to blow it up, just say so, laker fan.

vander
04-07-2010, 09:49 PM
exactly what i was talking about... who are these younger birds that we can pick up for next year, or do you want to blow the team up? if you want to blow it up, just say so, laker fan.

because if we don't blow it up, it will stay 2007 forever?

vander
04-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Rudy fucking chucker Gay for Tony Parker?!?! LMAO stupid Kobe fan. Game's on now, kid. Maybe I'll come back at halftime to hear more retarded crap from you.

yeah, I said I wanted Rudy Gay, only Rudy Gay, disregard those other filler words :rolleyes

and we all know how much you overrate TP. it's amazing this team ever loses a game that both TP and Manu play,

and Gay that chucker, it's amazing Memphis ever wins...

it's 2010

SpurOutofTownFan
04-07-2010, 09:58 PM
It's mesmerizing to me how so many people miss the important factor of marketing behind all this. This is a business. Period. I'm sure the owner of the Spurs thinks he will be making more money than 40M in the next 3 years with Manu playing for the Spurs than not. Manu is a huge commercial success and I'm pretty convinced this was also on the table when they decided to go ahead and re-sign him.

It's not just how good a player he is or whether he was overpaid strictly because of what he has left in the tank. He's the franchise money-making player.

urunobili
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM
lol I can't believe y'all waste your time arguing with vander, rascal and/or ducks... the fail is to even try to make them see value in something that makes them cringe...

Rough times ahead for them... for each post they have in between the three of them Manu makes more than 100 times in dollars without even playing a minute...

but you can also be emphatic... give them a break... in March they have been eating rotten crow daily with Manu playing so well...

vander
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM
It's mesmerizing to me how so many people miss the important factor of marketing behind all this. This is a business. Period. I'm sure the owner of the Spurs thinks he will be making more money than 40M in the next 3 years with Manu playing for the Spurs than not. Manu is a huge commercial success and I'm pretty convinced this was also on the table when they decided to go ahead and re-sign him.

It's not just how good a player he is or whether he was overpaid strictly because of what he has left in the tank. He's the franchise money-making player.

you're right. I feel so much better knowing that the FO is more interested in money than winning, rather than just plain incompetent.

OldSilentHill
04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
To the people who keep saying $40 M / 3 year is "high," please explain your rationale. What objective, quantifiable metric are you using to make that statement? It seems so arbitrary and subjective.

What should he have been paid per year? Something nearer the MLE? Are you guys suggesting that Ginobili deserves to be paid just a smidgen higher per year than the likes of antonio mcdyess?

Why does he deserve to take a pay cut, then (he's making $10.7 M this year) when every other spurs player is getting a pay increase over time?

We have a player who can drop 25+ on any given night with greater offensive efficiency than the likes of kobe bryant, and he does all of the other things that don't show up in box scores (taking key charges, making key stops, leaping out of bounds to save a loose ball with seconds left on the clock and allowing RJ to nail the game winning jumper against OKC) and we're getting him at a fraction of Kobe's price ($90M over 3 years, seriously) and you guys still think he's overpaid?

I guess I just don't understand, that's all. I'd like to hear everybody's reasoning.

All I'm saying is, my implied statement that $40M/3 years is "just right" is just as arbitrary and subjective as yall's statement that 40M/3 years is "overpaid," but I've made my case, I just want to hear the other side.

It's unfathomable to me that someone like Ginobili deserves only the MLE.

Agree. Almost everybody is on crack and is fully ungreateful.

Most of the people dont understand that after Manu retires, he will be still (and maybe equal or more) a great value for Spurs franchise. If he switches to another team, that value would probably gone.

:toast

SpurOutofTownFan
04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
you're right. I feel so much better knowing that the FO is more interested in money than winning, rather than just plain incompetent.

man, you couldn't have said that better.. this is after all a business and the numbers have to close. the only reason they weren't re-signing him was if he couldn't play anymore due to injuries.

vander
04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
lol I can't believe y'all waste your time arguing with vander, rascal and/or ducks... the fail is to even try to make them see value in something that makes them cringe...

Rough times ahead for them... for each post they have in between the three of them Manu makes more than 100 times in dollars without even playing a minute...

but you can also be emphatic... give them a break... in March they have been eating rotten crow daily with Manu playing so well...

Rough times ahead for actual Spur Fans, but not for Manu fans who pretend to be Spurs fans. :toast

I'll eat crow if he can do anything close to this in the playoffs, until then, it's just a hot streak, lots of players go on them.

also I want to know, do you think Manu will continue to play like this through the playoffs and for 3 more years?

urunobili
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Rough times ahead for actual Spur Fans, but not for Manu fans who pretend to be Spurs fans. :toast

lol u mad?

I'll eat crow if he can do anything close to this in the playoffs, until then, it's just a hot streak, lots of players go on them. lol as if Manu never did anything similar on the playoffs... question are you a Spur fan? when did you start following the Spurs

also I want to know, do you think Manu will continue to play like this through the playoffs and for 3 more years?
butthurt your Lakers won't be able to get him? :blah

polandprzem
04-08-2010, 12:05 AM
unsigned manu is better

ffadicted
04-08-2010, 12:06 AM
40 mil for 3 years is overpaying him, but I'd rather that then lose him to be quite honest

mogrovejo
04-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Geez, they were really scared he could bolt. You gotta do what you gotta do though.

Russ
04-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Hmmmmm . . .

Manu got to the line zero, zip, no times vs. Phoenix.

Think he (or his agent) might be thinking about staying in one piece until he signs that extension (hopefully before the next game). :)

We need the old reckless Manu flying to the hoop, not the Manu thinking about family and future.

Make it happen guys. :flag:

vander
04-08-2010, 12:48 AM
lol u mad?

lol as if Manu never did anything similar on the playoffs... question are you a Spur fan? when did you start following the Spurs

butthurt your Lakers won't be able to get him? :blah

seriously? why shouldn't I be mad? I don't want to watch what happened tonight for 3 more years, maybe you do, but that's pretty f***ed up. this year is the last harrah! for the big 3. it's sad to see the FO try to cling to the past for 3 more years.

also I want to know, do you think Manu will continue to play like he did for the past month or so through the playoffs and for 3 more years?

hombrefeo
04-08-2010, 12:49 AM
i was thrilled to read this

EricB
04-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Hmmmmm . . .

Manu got to the line zero, zip, no times vs. Phoenix.

Think he (or his agent) might be thinking about staying in one piece until he signs that extension (hopefully before the next game). :)

We need the old reckless Manu flying to the hoop, not the Manu thinking about family and future.

Make it happen guys. :flag:

I saw him dive To the hoop and drive lots of times he just couldn't buy a call....

ducks
04-08-2010, 12:55 AM
lol
he pulled up and played like he was 60

vander
04-08-2010, 12:58 AM
and another thing, if that's the way the FO's going to play it, then we better F***ing re-sign Bonner for 4 years 17+ million, that dude wasn't athletic to begin with so he isn't going to get any worse over the next 4 years, only better if anything, hell 4+ mil per probably isn't even enough compared to what Manu is getting. F***ing Rabble Rabble!! F*** You Spurs FO!!!

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2010, 01:05 AM
the signin of manu and +10m in tax for future seasons

where does that leave us with signin splitter?

this signin only means one thing...either spurs going for broke to win championships or someone is clearly gettin traded to make way for a new starting pg in ghill3 :D

whats the possibility of parker leaving the spurs or the spurs dont think his worth 15m a season when his contract is up and looking at resigning

ElNono
04-08-2010, 01:10 AM
and another thing, if that's the way the FO's going to play it, then we better F***ing re-sign Bonner for 4 years 17+ million, that dude wasn't athletic to begin with so he isn't going to get any worse over the next 4 years, only better if anything, hell 4+ mil per probably isn't even enough compared to what Manu is getting. F***ing Rabble Rabble!! F*** You Spurs FO!!!

LOL... Go cry to your homebody Kobe...

ElNono
04-08-2010, 01:11 AM
lol
he pulled up and played like he was 60

lol
you were surprisingly missing the last 4 games

Tell me ducks, how does it feel to have Manu in the team for 3 more season? :lmao

vander
04-08-2010, 01:14 AM
the signin of manu and +10m in tax for future seasons

where does that leave us with signin splitter?

this signin only means one thing...either spurs going for broke to win championships or someone is clearly gettin traded to make way for a new starting pg in ghill3 :D

whats the possibility of parker leaving the spurs or the spurs dont think his worth 15m a season when his contract is up and looking at resigning

I think the Manu deal, if anything, means we are going to keep TP. Probably even re-sign him. either you rebuild now or you don't, Manu and TP are both on the same side of that decision. the FO is going all in with the status quo. let it ride...

vander
04-08-2010, 01:16 AM
LOL... Go cry to your homebody Kobe...

I argue towards the betterment of the Spurs, you argue towards the detriment of a random ST poster.

I find happiness in the Spurs winning, you find happiness in the misery of a random ST poster.

ElNono
04-08-2010, 01:19 AM
I argue towards the betterment of the Lakers, you argue towards the detriment of a random ST poster.

I find happiness in the Lakers winning, you find happiness in the misery of a random ST poster.

fify

baseline bum
04-08-2010, 01:24 AM

Maybe it would have made sense if Bonner would have had a better playoffs than Manu last season.

vander
04-08-2010, 01:28 AM
fify

do you really, actually think that? and based on what? and even then, how would me being a Laker fan make me wrong about anything that I have said?

Would me being a Laker fan suddenly make Manu worth 50 million and a total bargain at the price we (the Spurs) signed him for?
Would me being a Laker fan suddenly make us (the Spurs) the favorites to win a championship this year and every year that Manu is under contract?

vander
04-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Maybe it would have made sense if Bonner would have had a better playoffs than Manu last season.

funny guy :lol

I would argue that Bonner can improve on his 2009 playoff outing, Manu... perhaps not

carina_gino20
04-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Tell me ducks, how does it feel to have Manu in the team for 3 more season? :lmao

:lmao

Seriously though, this is good news.

ElNono
04-08-2010, 01:31 AM
do you really, actually think that? and based on what? and even then, how would me being a Laker fan make me wrong about anything that I have said?

Would me being a Laker fan suddenly make Manu worth 50 million and a total bargain at the price we (the Spurs) signed him for?
Would me being a Laker fan suddenly make us (the Spurs) the favorites to win a championship this year and every year that Manu is under contract?

You being a Laker fan would go a long ways in explaining the overall suckitude of your posts... Lakerfan

ElNono
04-08-2010, 01:32 AM
funny guy :lol

I would argue that Bonner can improve on his 2009 playoff outing, Manu... perhaps not

And Lakerfan knows this because?

vander
04-08-2010, 01:35 AM
You being a Laker fan would go a long ways in explaining the overall suckitude of your posts... Lakerfan

define "suckitude". because if you mean depressingly realistic and objective, then I'd have to agree with you, though I still don't see how being a Laker fan would have changed that, seems to me that they're still completely depressingly realistic and objective with me being a Spurs fan...

J_Paco
04-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I'm happy Manu got his extension, hopefully this means that the FO will continue to push for another championship. And, solid big men will still be available for the MLE in Jermaine O'Neal, Brandon Haywood and Marcus Camby. Although, I'd prefer bringing in Splitter since he has (potentially) more upside then those three.

ElNono
04-08-2010, 01:39 AM
define "suckitude". because if you mean depressingly realistic and objective, then I'd have to agree with you, though I still don't see how being a Laker fan would change that, seems to me that they're still completely depressingly realistic and objective with me being a Spurs fan...

Manu is going to be with the Spurs 3 more years... that's realistic and objective... If it depresses you so much, you can go cry to your boy Kobe...

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2010, 01:44 AM
at teh end of the day we outbidded ourselves

some will say this is a loyalty contract, but if we can get 2 good years out of that then im fine, if not trade his ass

vander
04-08-2010, 01:45 AM
Manu is going to be with the Spurs 3 more years... that's realistic and objective... If it depresses you so much, you can go cry to your boy Kobe...

sorry, I didn't see any little South American Flag beneath your name, I was unaware that you were of the "all Glory to Manu, F*** the Spurs" crowd :lol

ElNono
04-08-2010, 01:47 AM

sorry, I didn't see any little South American Flag beneath your name, I was unaware that you were of the "all Glory to Manu, F*** the Spurs" crowd :lol

I'm happy for the Spurs. I think they're paying market value for proven top talent.
Ultimately, the only one that's unhappy with the Spurs is you, not me.

Again, if we have to go with your record of predictions about Manu, it's safe to say the Spurs will be fine. :tu

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm happy for the Spurs. I think they're paying market value for proven top talent.

Again, if we have to go with your record of predictions about Manu, it's safe to say the Spurs will be fine. :tu

dude thats not market value, all the spurs did was outbid themselves...sure some team wouldve thrown the cashbook at him...but not 13m a season, thats a bit overpayin considering he was on 8m a season....

DesignatedT
04-08-2010, 01:54 AM
dude thats not market value, all the spurs did was outbid themselves...sure some team wouldve thrown the cashbook at him...but not 13m a season, thats a bit overpayin considering he was on 8m a season....

he is making nearly 11/mil this season... no idea where you got 8 from...

ElNono
04-08-2010, 01:55 AM

He's making $10m/season now. The Spurs could have had him for 8/9 earlier in the season if they wanted to. They can only blame themselves for the higher price tag now. The way Manu has been playing it's really a no-brainer, and I have little doubt he could have fetched as much in the offseason.
Furthermore, as explained by other posters, there's more to it than mere basketball. Holt knows, considering he ordered the deal to get done.

vander
04-08-2010, 02:06 AM
that's because you, and many others are yet delusional about the future, we'll revisit this thread in a couple years and see if you are still as happy :lol :(:depressed

Oh Really? :wow you mean the one in 2008 where I said we can not win another championship with Manu? or some other one?

granted, this year appears to be the Spurs' best bet to prove me wrong, but already Manu appears to be proving me right once again with his performance against playoff team Phoenix.

I would like nothing better than to be proven wrong this year, but reality is reality... it's going to take heroic efforts from the likes of Jefferson, Bonner, Hill, Perhaps even Mason and Bogans to get a title this year. and after this year... with old useless Manu taking up 20+% of the payroll, it will be beyond impossible.
you can accept it now, and realize the failure of the FO, or you can make excuses later...

I personally am not the type to make excuses, and apologize for the actions of the FO, but to each his own...

Andrew Bynum
04-08-2010, 02:09 AM
I wanna borrow Manu's ski mask for halloween this year.

ElNono
04-08-2010, 02:13 AM
that's because you, and many others are yet delusional about the future, we'll revisit this thread in a couple years and see if you are still as happy :lol :(:depressed

Again, if your argument is that your crystal ball is better than my crystal ball, then you have no argument at all. Feel free to feel depressed all you want.

Oh Really? :wow

Yes, really.

you mean the one in 2008 where I said we can not win another championship with Manu? or some other one.

Too many to list. Almost every post on past 'trade Manu' threads, where your crystal ball kept telling you he wouldn't play at a high level again.
You were obviously wrong, you're just not man enough to admit it.

granted, this year appears to be the Spurs' best bet to prove me wrong, but already Manu appears to be proving me right once again with his performance against playoff team Phoenix.

You were giving Manu props 2 games ago. You need to pick a lane and stick with it. Again, admitting when you're wrong is the first step.

I would like nothing better than to be proven wrong this year, but reality is reality... it's going to take heroic efforts from the likes of Jefferson, Bonner, Hill, Perhaps even Mason and Bogans to get a title this year. and after this year... with old useless Manu taking up 20+% of the payroll, it will be beyond impossible.
you can accept it now, and realize the failure of the FO, or you can make excuses later...

There is no such thing as a no-trade clause on Manu's contract. So your premise is, at the very least, flawed. But feel free to cry yourself to sleep if that's your thing.

I personally am not the type to make excuses, and apologize for the actions of the FO, but to each his own...

Me neither. This is a fair contract for top talent, and you haven't proved otherwise. There's nothing to excuse or apologize for.

kaji157
04-08-2010, 02:16 AM

Oh Really? :wow you mean the one in 2008 where I said we can not win another championship with Manu? or some other one?

Lol yes, he has been proving you wrong for the last 2 months.

Give the guy a break, he is on the verge of signing the most important contract in his life, and you want him focused tonight. That wouldn´t be possible. Watch how Kobe played against us and how he was a fluke the week he has been renegotiating his contract. You are talking about humans, not machines, they are affected by emotions.

Plus, Manu´s sidekick on his backcourt has been injuried and now has to readapt himself to other 2 PG who are not great at passing the ball or shooting 3´s that is what complement Manu at the best.

I don´t care if we sign him at 3 years 40 millions or 3 years 30 millions, the important thing is to have it done ASAP so that he can focus on playing and nothing else. 3 more millions of cap space means nothing and no one here pay the luxury tax, that´s on Holt. So if he want to pay it, let him do it.

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2010, 02:25 AM
without him we dont have a sg, and only mle to spend...

who knows his contract could be a disguised to land bosh lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Watching Rascal, Ducks and Vander writhe in pain and getting owned is almost as enjoyable as the news. Well done.

urunobili
04-08-2010, 08:21 AM
vander is the Laker fan whottt version of the board... :lol

Russ
04-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Dude, that's a bargain. A home town discount. Manu could have made more from some other team. And, going one better, he could have made more from the Spurs.

He could have had the best of both worlds. But Manu doesn't want what most of us would. He's an inscrutable warrior. The exception to every rule.

BillMc
04-08-2010, 09:24 AM
There are some here that don't like the signing because Manu will be old and (may be) overpaid at the end of the contract. My thoughts.

1.) That may be the case, but signing Manu gives us a chance to win next year, and the removal of a huge distraction that can only help our chances to win this year. The fact is the FO has given us at least 2 years more of contending as well as locking up one of those special players you hope spends his whole career as a Spur. With only the MLE next year (which we plan to use on Splitter) we'd be tough pressed to get a quality shooting guard.

2.) There is a decent chance (not high, but realistic) that Manu may still be plenty dangerous at 36. Steve Nash is, Jordan was. Kareem (yea, differnt position I know) won a Finals MVP at 35. He may crash and burn or may age well. We'll see. I appreciate the FO taking the gamble.

3.) Manu is the team leader. Tim is too, but he leads by example. Manu gets in people's face. Blair, Hill and Richard Jefferson are all followers of Manu. To not have him next year hurts those players' production as well.

4.) Timmy may extend for a year or two (depending on health) if the Big 3 is still in fine form.

5.) In the end, if you don't root for the players who have been here a long time, who have helped you win championships, then they are just gladiators. And really, what's the point then of rooting at all?

6.) If the Spurs are still contenders (as many of us feel) then this is the right move. If we are not contenders then I am still happy to see Manu stay a Spur for his career. Cheers for Holt opening his wallet again.

Also, some so-called Spurs fans are essentially taking the field against the Spurs. In effect, if we don't win a championship they can say "See, I was right." But the truth is only one team can win it, so these cynics have the odds in their favor. I'm for the FO taking a swing....

Some (many?) may disagree but those are my feelings.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Solid points BillMc, just to chime in :

1. Spurs may or may not be contenders next year with Manu, but we're most definitely NOT a contender if we let him walk and only have the MLE to spend. Sign and trade ( for a good/star player ) is fantasy land.

2. He is a very good shooter, has very high BBIQ and can pass the ball and is a natural leader - there's a lot her can offer even after slowing down a bit. Besides, for all we know, his last year could only be partially guaranteed.

3. Totally agree, he makes his teammates better.

4. Hopefully health will allow Duncan to play beyond 2012, I'd lvoe to see the big 3 play together for as long as possible.

5. Very true, obviously a team needs both - solid players whenever you can get them, but also a core, that is the identity of the team.

6. Me too, not popular opinion, I know, but I'd rather watch the Spurs wither away with the big 3 and let them retire as Spurs players, than trade everyone away in a desperate ( and most likely futile ) way to have another title run.

BillMc
04-08-2010, 09:46 AM

1. Spurs may or may not be contenders next year with Manu, but we're most definitely NOT a contender if we let him walk and only have the MLE to spend. Sign and trade ( for a good/star player ) is fantasy land.

2. He is a very good shooter, has very high BBIQ and can pass the ball and is a natural leader - there's a lot her can offer even after slowing down a bit. Besides, for all we know, his last year could only be partially guaranteed.

4. Hopefully health will allow Duncan to play beyond 2012, I'd lvoe to see the big 3 play together for as long as possible.

5. Very true, obviously a team needs both - solid players whenever you can get them, but also a core, that is the identity of the team.

6. Me too, not popular opinion, I know, but I'd rather watch the Spurs wither away with the big 3 and let them retire as Spurs players, than trade everyone away in a desperate ( and most likely futile ) way to have another title run.

I'm glad we agree. Some very sold points, too. Well done.
:toast

mytespurs
04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
There are some here that don't like the signing because Manu will be old and (may be) overpaid at the end of the contract. My thoughts.

1.) That may be the case, but signing Manu gives us a chance to win next year, and the removal of a huge distraction that can only help our chances to win this year. The fact is the FO has given us at least 2 years more of contending as well as locking up one of those special players you hope spends his whole career as a Spur. With only the MLE next year (which we plan to use on Splitter) we'd be tough pressed to get a quality shooting guard.

2.) There is a decent chance (not high, but realistic) that Manu may still be plenty dangerous at 36. Steve Nash is, Jordan was. Kareem (yea, differnt position I know) won a Finals MVP at 35. He may crash and burn or may age well. We'll see. I appreciate the FO taking the gamble.

3.) Manu is the team leader. Tim is too, but he leads by example. Manu gets in people's face. Blair, Hill and Richard Jefferson are all followers of Manu. To not have him next year hurts those players' production as well.

4.) Timmy may extend for a year or two (depending on health) if the Big 3 is still in fine form.

5.) In the end, if you don't root for the players who have been here a long time, who have helped you win championships, then they are just gladiators. And really, what's the point then of rooting at all?

6.) If the Spurs are still contenders (as many of us feel) then this is the right move. If we are not contenders then I am still happy to see Manu stay a Spur for his career. Cheers for Holt opening his wallet again.

Also, some so-called Spurs fans are essentially taking the field against the Spurs. In effect, if we don't win a championship they can say "See, I was right." But the truth is only one team can win it, so these cynics have the odds in their favor. I'm for the FO taking a swing....

my man....you speak sense! :king

Russ
04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
2.) There is a decent chance (not high, but realistic) that Manu may still be plenty dangerous at 36.

Havlicek was. And Manu's game reminds me more of Havlicek than any other player.

Mel_13
04-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Great post, nothing more to add.

Guess there was more to add. Nice job.

EricB
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Dude, that's a bargain. A home town discount. Manu could have made more from some other team. And, going one better, he could have made more from the Spurs.

He could have had the best of both worlds. But Manu doesn't want what most of us would. He's an inscrutable warrior. The exception to every rule.

The spurs are paying him the maximum they can pay him.

celldweller
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM

:clap

Mel_13
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
The spurs are paying him the maximum they can pay him.

They may be paying him the maximum they can in an extension, but we don't know that yet (latest reports indicate that the guaranteed portion of the third year is still a subject of negotiation).

Even if it is the maximum possible extension, it is still less than what he could have potentially received as a free agent.

clubalien
04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
manu gets extension, spurs lose:(

rascal
04-08-2010, 11:49 AM
yeah because we haven't heard all this bullshit from you before. I can argue, but for so long... before I realize you're just hating. Your whole bullshit argument lies on the premise that Manu is done and what he is playing now is just a fluke. The same bullshit you've been spewing for years now. You were wrong then, what the fuck makes you think you'll be right now?

P.S. You've been labeled for some time now, this thread's idiotic back and forth notwithstanding

You have been labeled as a member of The CoM.

rascal
04-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Agree with Vander. Manu will not be worth the contract when it is all said and done. He will be on the steady decline and the last few wekks he was playing st top form because the contract was on the table. After the poor start of the season Manu had to play balls to the walls to have a shot at a big payday. And with his twins coming soon he had extra incentive to play at top form.

No way we see him play at this level even next year.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Agree with Vander. Manu will not be worth the contract when it is all said and done. He will be on the steady decline and the last few wekks he was playing st top form because the contract was on the table. After the poor start of the season Manu had to play balls to the walls to have a shot at a big payday. And with his twins coming soon he had extra incentive to play at top form.

Are you a Spurs fan?

ElNono
04-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Another unequivocally wrong poster with a broken crystal ball.
It was bad enough for you that the Spurs made the playoffs, now you also will have to deal with Manu being in the team for 3 more seasons.

Terrible week to be a hater!

easy7
04-08-2010, 01:04 PM
No manu = no renu

rascal
04-08-2010, 01:36 PM
manu gets extension, spurs lose:(

The extension had nothing to do with the loss. Tough back to back, Parker getting back on the floor and integrated back in, no Hill who has been playing well and the team was due for a letdown.

rascal
04-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Another unequivocally wrong poster with a broken crystal ball.
It was bad enough for you that the Spurs made the playoffs, now you also will have to deal with Manu being in the team for 3 more seasons.

Terrible week to be a hater!

Another member of the CoM.

ace3g
04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
WojYahooNBA

Ginobili signed the 3-year extension late this afternoon, paying him $11,854,584 in '10-11; $12,981,038 in '11-12; $14,107,492 in '12-13

ace3g
04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
WojYahooNBA

Ginobili's nearly $40 million extension also includes a trade kicker, league memo says.

ace3g
04-08-2010, 06:32 PM
WojYahooNBA

The Spurs extension for Ginobili pays him an average of $12.98 million over term of $38.9 million deal

LakerHater
04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Physical clears way for Ginobili extension

By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports 2 hours, 12 minutes ago

Manu Ginobili underwent a physical Thursday afternoon that revealed no concerning health issues, the last significant hurdle he had to clear before completing his three-year extension with the San Antonio Spurs, league sources said.

Spurs officials were working out a couple minor details with Ginobili’s agent, Herb Rudoy, but the extension should be approved by the NBA office early Friday morning.
The deal binds Ginobili to the Spurs through the 2012-13 season. He will make $11.9 million next season, a raise from his current $10.7 million. The final two years of the extension call for him to earn $13 million and $14.1 million.
Ginobili also will receive a bonus if he’s traded.
and can pay him nearly $40 million over the three years.
The physical was important given Ginobili’s injuries from the previous two season. Ginobili, who turns 33 in July, had last season cut short by a right ankle injury. He also was slowed by problems with his left foot in the 2008 playoffs and later needed surgery after aggravating the injury in the Beijing Olympics.
Ginobili’s strong play over the past two months affirmed the Spurs’ desire to keep him as one of the franchise’s core players.

Mel_13
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Looks like he got the max possible extension plus a trade kicker.

Manu will retire a Spur.

DesignatedT
04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Looks like he got the max possible extension plus a trade kicker.

Manu will retire a Spur.

didn't really think about a trade kicker. wonder how much its worth.

Mel_13
04-08-2010, 07:22 PM
didn't really think about a trade kicker. wonder how much its worth.

By the CBA, it can be up to 15% of the remaining value of the contract.

raspsa
04-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Trade kicker ala Kobe.

ElNono
04-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Another member of the CoM.

U MAD? :lmao

vander
04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
U MAD? :lmao

will you still be laughing as we average well over 30 losses a year for the duration of the contract?

or is that what you're laugh at now already?

yep, a mediocre, old, overpriced basketball team is pretty hilarious... when it's a team you hate

rascal
04-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Watching Rascal, Ducks and Vander writhe in pain and getting owned is almost as enjoyable as the news. Well done.

Explain this.