PDA

View Full Version : Tony is an offensive liability at the end of games

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-04-2005, 11:48 PM
As long as he's shooting 40% on his FTs.

ducks
05-04-2005, 11:50 PM
dude that is why they go to manu and duncan
geez he is getting better
sometimes duncan shoots them that well to

Leetonidas
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
But he dominated the game, so I can live with it.

exstatic
Well, he's not shooting 40%, but your point is taken. They needed him to check Boykins, but I'm sure Pop told the team to inbound to Manu or Barry, and someone fucked it up.

Spurminator
Tony can't win with you people.

nkdlunch
05-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Is that why he won game 4 all by himself??

JUUOT
05-04-2005, 11:52 PM
it will be there when needed. just like his jumpshot in game 4 in crunch time. today he had it also!

IceColdBrewski
05-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Agreed. And FT's should not be a problem with his ammount of experience.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Seriously, Tp ruled it tonight. His poor ft shooting was compensated by his good jumper tonight. He had a great game today.

MaNuMaNiAc
??? what?? you're kidding right?

ducks
you think pop wanted tp to shot the free throws?
rember how mad pop got at devin brown when he throw the balll to duncan

pop does not want to go to the worse free throw shooters on the team

IceColdBrewski
05-04-2005, 11:57 PM
:drunk

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Tony played great during most of regulation. But you can't be a starting PG if you're a liability offensively at the end of games.

THere is no excuse for Tony shooting FTs worse than Tim, Bowen, or Rasho (or worse than Shaq for that matter).

He's got a great stroke, good shot, the only thing left is that he's not focusing mentally on it.

Spurminator
05-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Tony is an offensive liability at the end of games

you can't be a starting PG if you're a liability offensively at the end of games.

Are you saying Tony Parker should not be the starting point guard of the San Antonio Spurs?

IceColdBrewski
05-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Tony played great during most of regulation. But you can't be a starting PG if you're a liability offensively at the end of games.

THere is no excuse for Tony shooting FTs worse than Tim, Bowen, or Rasho (or worse than Shaq for that matter).

He's got a great stroke, good shot, the only thing left is that he's not focusing mentally on it.

Mental focus has been his problem for a long time. But I'll let someone else say it. I'm just a "hater" when I bring it up.

nkdlunch
05-05-2005, 12:00 AM

:drunk :drunk :smokin

Guru of Nothing
05-05-2005, 12:02 AM
[Begin] If I ever .....

.... just shoot me[/end]

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 12:03 AM
You laugh, you won't when teams just say fuck it and start fouling him at the end of games and watch him brick away.

Like I said, this is not a mechanics problem, he's just no focusing mentally.

ducks
05-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Agreed. And FT's should not be a problem with his ammount of experience.

and not being able to play over 30 should not be a problem with manu's experience

nkdlunch
05-05-2005, 12:04 AM
this thread is retarded

JUUOT
05-05-2005, 12:05 AM
he missed 5 and 3 of theme were just right in the hole but just did not get in...
i recall certain people saying this summer parler was at his best capacity and would not go higer than 15 points and 5.5 assist a game because he was a poor passer and not able to make the right pass/shot decisions. He really improved and next year he will keep improving. this is the sign of a star.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Who cares if they were in the hole if they ended up coming out of it without going through the net yet.

I don't hate Tony, I don't like the idea of him being on the bench in crunch time, but there's no excuse for a guard sucking ass at FT shooting like Tony is.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 12:09 AM
ginobili, I didn't forget game 4. I try to look at the bigger picture than just one game. The entire second half of this season he's been sucking at FTs down the stretch, and has done it in all the playoff games save one of them.

Dude needs to work on his mental toughness if we're gonna be counting on him in the clutch.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2005, 12:13 AM
and not being able to play over 30 should not be a problem with manu's experience
Ducks you're officially a moron!! JESUS!! How can you compare stamina with ft shooting!!?? Why do you have to come up with stupid answers like that!? Look I'm not going to explain to you why the above statement is stupid beyond belief, but I will say this; if you're intent in following this moronic Tony vs Manu debacle, then please BRING BETTER TAKES THAN THOSE!!! There are plenty of things you could argue in favor of Tony.

spursfan05
05-05-2005, 12:13 AM
its a mental thing. hes just not mentally strong.

T Park
05-05-2005, 12:19 AM
hes just not mentally strong

Yeah ignore his clutch shots in game 4.

Don't need mental toughness for that.

Don't think maybe his fatigue couldve had to do something with it??

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 12:22 AM
So now he's tired? :lol

Spurminator
05-05-2005, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't say he's not mentally strong... the worst I might say is mentally erratic. There are times when he's tougher mentally than anyone on the floor, he just needs to sustain it.

Of course, that can be said of almost every Spur player, Tony just gets put under the microscope because he's the starting point guard.

exstatic
05-05-2005, 12:23 AM

Like I said, this is not a mechanics problem, he's just no focusing mentally.

I have to disagree with that. The problem with his FTs is the same problem that frequently plagues his jumper: shitty, sideways rotation. He pushes the ball more than he snaps the wrist to get rotation. He also takes almost no time at the line. Watch Glen Robinson or any other really good FT shooter. The have a routine that involves some personal superstitions (Glen puts his left hand over his right pec muscle), bouncing the ball, getting set, bending at the knees, and snapping the wrist on the release to get a good backspin, useful if you bounce it off the front rim. You get a friendly roll more often. Tony's form is average or below. He bounces the ball twice, andthenpushesitupthere.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Duncan was getting put under the same microscope when teams were doing Hack-a-Tim on him.

It's coming on Tony unless he gets tougher upstairs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 12:26 AM
He also takes almost no time at the line.

That was more what I was trying to get at. He just gets up there and shoots. Take some time at the line, relax, catch your breathe, stroke it.

boutons
05-05-2005, 12:27 AM
"great stroke, good shot,"

nope, not at all, he doesn't get under the ball, too much wrist, not enough arm, too flat an arc, no full arm extension and arm/wrist follow through, no finger-tip release. his FT mechanics really suck

"the only thing left is that he's not focusing mentally on it."

that, too. :)

When he's un-shooting FTs like tonight, it's really a game of luck, not skill. he just throws it up there, no "shooting" invovled, and hopes it falls. about the same odds as a as roulette wheel.

T Park
05-05-2005, 12:28 AM
So now he's tired

30 some odd minutes tonight.

Little sleep yesterday. 40 some odd minutes monday.

Yeah, at the end of it, it adds up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Little sleep? Where'd you hear that? Was he up all day with Eva?

T Park
05-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Little sleep

they came in at 5 freakin am.

Goddamn.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Yeah, the horror, that only left 19 hours in his day. He could have gone to practice for 11 hours and still gotten 8 hours.

spursfan05
05-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Yeah ignore his clutch shots in game 4.

Don't need mental toughness for that.

Don't think maybe his fatigue couldve had to do something with it??

to be honest most of the pressure in game 4 was on manu. im not saying parker wasnt clutch but he does have a habit out of disapearing alot in the playoffs

IceColdBrewski
05-05-2005, 12:40 AM
30 some odd minutes tonight.

Little sleep yesterday. 40 some odd minutes monday.

Yeah, at the end of it, it adds up.

But wait. He's only 23. That's the excuse I always here. So I think I'll use it for a change.

T Park
05-05-2005, 12:48 AM
go ahead and use it, you always love to bag on him.

Some fuckin fan.

here

BTW the word is HEAR, to listen smartass.

They ALL looked tired.

Mohammed and Horry didnt show it.

Parker, Ginobili definately, Duncan.

[/QUOTE]to be honest most of the pressure in game 4 was on manu. im not saying parker wasnt clutch but he does have a habit out of disapearing alot in the playoffs[QUOTE]

The pressure was on Parker and Ginobili, none more than the other.

milkyway21
05-05-2005, 12:53 AM
TPark played better than Manu tonight. except for those FTs and;

TP :owned game 4 OT

i beg to disagree :cry

T Park
05-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Other than his FTs, Tony Parker was the player of the game tied with Horry and Mohammed.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2005, 01:00 AM
The pressure was on Parker and Ginobili, none more than the other.
Thats not entirely true, Denver said during the pre game conference that they were looking to shut down Manu seeing that he had torched them the past 3 games. Manu was being covered more than TP. However, I do believe TP was the man in OT.

T Park
05-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Thats not entirely true, Denver said during the pre game conference that they were looking to shut down Manu seeing that he had torched them the past 3 games. Manu was being covered more than TP. However, I do believe TP was the man in OT.

Your talking about two different pressures.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Your talking about two different pressures.
no no, I'm talking about overall pressure. If we take into account that they are both equally pressured to perform well in post season games, but during game 4 Manu was getting more pressure from the Denver defense than TP, then in conclusion, Manu was under more pressure during game 4 than TP. Its simple. Either way, they both performed well, so no point in the argument.

stéphane
05-05-2005, 03:22 AM
Special for AHF...

here's a quote from TP's last interview...

The only bad thing tonight is your free throw shooting (2/7).

It's unbelievable. This morning, during practice, I shot 95/100. I was full of confidence and then in a heartbeat, nothing. The ball didn't want to go in. It's really weird…

Personnal translation but pretty accurate.... I agree that he cant shoot that bad from FT line but as long as the team doesn't loose because of his miss and he's still past 50% shooting I really don't care.
Could you tell me his FT% in game 4 when it matters? 6/7
I repeat myself. I agree that he has no excuse. but all in all I'm glad he's our PG.
He should have been 6/7 right that's 4more points let add him 2miss shots and he's 9/19...

timvp
05-05-2005, 03:39 AM
Dumb thread.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-05-2005, 07:41 AM
I love Tony, but last night would've been a blowout had it not been for TP's free throw clangathon. The guy needs to work on his approach at the line. I agree that it's gotta be a mental block, because some nights (like game 4) they mostly go in.

The thing that bothers me more has been his performance at the end of quarters, ie his inability recently to execute a play without turning it over. That bend over and watch the clock thing is really lousy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Other than his FTs, Tony Parker was the player of the game tied with Horry and Mohammed.

And what are we talking about? FTs.

SPARKY
05-05-2005, 08:05 AM
You know I'd rather have Beno playing hot potato with the rock when bringing it up against pressure than to have TP out on the court late.

Yeah.

Dumb thread.

SouthernFried
05-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Tony's awesome...Tony disappears. He's a good free-throw shooter, he can't buy a FT. He totally owned the OT in game 4 and performed great in game 5...he wasn't there in games 1-3. I love Tony, I hate Tony.

Reminds me of my ex-wife.

Manu was the MVP of this series, but even he had some incredibly stupid passes in Game 5.

I would live longer if I just watched golf.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Bump.

8 of 8 from the line.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Was it a 2 point game, or a 15 point game?

Some of you guys are acting like I slept with your sister or kicked your dog. Calm down, let's see how Tony does when it's a close game.

And for the record, I'll be more than happy to eat crow on this one.

stéphane
05-10-2005, 11:33 PM
I was sure it was gonna happen...
lol @ the bump...
AHF was disapointed, i'm sure he's pleased to see TP hit his friggin FT tonight.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-10-2005, 11:37 PM
AHF was disapointed,

Yeah, watching the Spurs win sucks. Please tell me you were being sarcastic.

stéphane
05-10-2005, 11:44 PM
All I meant is you created this topic, I guess, because you were upset/disapointed to see TP bricks his FT and that could hurt SA in close games...right?
So I dont really see the interest in bumping this, to say "Look tonight he did..." as long as the spurs win who cares?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Ah, okay. Sorry, some people on this site have made comments in the past like that where they really did think some of us that are critical of the Spurs were happy they lost just so we could criticize them.

And that's probably the most retarded idea ever advanced on this forum (outside of anything NBADan says).

stéphane
05-10-2005, 11:51 PM
No need to apologize...I guess we nearly all want the same thing...
I'd like to see TP sinking his FT like tonight at least as much as you do ;)
Tonight I saw a good game from him and that's the ice on the cake for me when the spurs win.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Agreed, if him, Manu, and Tim are going for 20+ each every night, we're gonna be tough to beat.

MI21
05-11-2005, 06:10 AM
The funniest thing in this thread is people trying to be FT mechanic guru's. Many of the best shooters don't have great mechanics, you find the style best for you and you stick to it.

boutons
05-11-2005, 06:14 AM
"you find the style best for you and you stick to it."

... if it works. If it doesn't....?

If your "best style" as a scoring PG is a career FT% under 70%?

MI21
05-11-2005, 06:48 AM
It's obviously the way he comfortable shooting and he feels he can get best results out of.

Chucking in flicking your wrist (which he does anyway), rotations, solid 90 degree angle flexes at the elbow will just give him more things to worry about and make him a worse FT shooter.

T Park
05-11-2005, 08:21 AM
The funniest thing in this thread is people trying to be FT mechanic guru's

no its pathetic....

sa_butta
05-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Can we just give Parker some credit for having a solid game, I mean at least he hit all of his free throws.

beirmeistr
05-11-2005, 11:43 AM
It seems to me that when Reggie Evans hit Parker in the face in the third quarter, with no foul called, it was a blessing in disguise in the sense that Tony got fired up, intense, and was driving to the basket even with big people guarding underneath. He was upset that he got hit and he fought back with good aggressive play.

MadDog73
05-11-2005, 12:14 PM
It seems to me that when Reggie Evans hit Parker in the face in the third quarter, with no foul called, it was a blessing in disguise in the sense that Tony got fired up, intense, and was driving to the basket even with big people guarding underneath. He was upset that he got hit and he fought back with good aggressive play.

Not only that, but when Tim got pissed too (I think after he was fouled right after with no call). I saw that look and went, "uh-oh" that's it, Sonics are beat.