PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons RIPS into Rasheed Wallace

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100407&sportCat=nba

Good article. He did a good job backing up the claim that Sheed made Boston soft.

crc21209
04-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately for C's fans...he's right. Sheed is a washed up cancer.....thank god this guy didnt sign with the Spurs after all...

scottspurs
04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Long, but true.

badfish22
04-07-2010, 06:46 PM
The word "sheed" is said 111 times in that article.

Cane
04-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Definitely a great article, Simmons ftw.

Sheed is a disgrace to the NBA but thankfully he chose Boston. Almost unreal that he was a sought after free agent; he would've taken an even worse dump on Orlando or San Antonio.

Gino2882
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I thought for sure with all his friends on that team that he would play hard. He has been a bitter disappointment for them. Also, Garnett has looked awful at times this year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Lmao at the captions.

Killakobe81
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Really good article. Simmons is great when he is NOT discussing: boston teams, Bird, Lakers, Yankees, colts the Manning bros., Arod, and Kobe.

He loves basketball and pop culture and does a good job of mixing both. I know the anger at what 'sheed did to his beloved Celts sparked this ...BUT

As other said he went back in to the archives to back his points and stuck in some good 'sheed ancedotal stuff as well...

Well done.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I called Sheed as a disaster as far back as May last year and few people believed me. It was pretty clear he was done last season. I must've posted that 100 times, like this:

How many people actually watched Sheed play this year? From what I saw, he has slipped a notch, he's 35, he's still volatile (lots of techs this season), and he spent the last 1/3 of the season injured. Have we not learned anything? Do we really want to give a roster spot to yet another old geezer?

If he signs dirt-cheap, fine, but spending more than 2mil on Sheed would be a mistake.

then this:

That's what I'm bringing into question - this is not 2004 Sheed, or even 2007 Sheed, this is 35yo Sheed who has slowed considerably. Guy used to have the quickness to rotate to corner shooters, but not any more. He shot 42% from the field and 35% from 3 last year. His blocks and steals were down, even thought he played 2 more mpg than 2007. Sheed is over the hill.

If he wants to be paid a pittance to come and play 20mpg here, fine, but if you are going to count on him to contribute significantly you'll be sorely disappointed.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3403548

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Actually, I was quite prophetic in that thread. I then said this:

You are completely ignoring the fact that the NBA has changed and is now a young athlete's league, not to mention the fact that offensive players have been given all the advantages. If this were 2005 we could go with a 35yo Sheed and have a hope, today not a chance. If he comes here cheap (LLE, which he won't) I'd be fine with it, anything more would be throwing money and a roster spot down the toilet.

Also, if you keep delaying the inevitable (i.e. that this team is too old and not athletic enough) you are setting us up for a major crash in a year or two. The smart thing to do is to gradually get younger over a 3 year period, introducing 2-3 youngsters a year, and hope that one a year makes a leap - that way you have a shot at the trophy each year if everything clicks, but at the same time you get younger and prepare for the post-Duncan era. Most FO/coach staffs could not pull it off, but ours is good enough to get it right with a little good luck.

:D

pauls931
04-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Sheed is gettin' old, just like old players at the Y that jack up 3s all day long instead of going into the Paint. Hell I bet Nash spends more time in the paint than sheed these days...

Darthkiller
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
glad we got rid of him

L.I.T
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Simmons also forgot Sean Elliott hitting the Memorial Day Miracle over Sheed.

He's been the Spurs own little playoff drama generator.