PDA

View Full Version : Cuban: "We know we can kill anybody"

honestfool84
04-07-2010, 07:38 PM
this literally made me :lol

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5063580.)

A 5-6 slump hasn't lowered expectations or limited the swagger of the Dallas Mavericks, starting with the man who signs the checks.
Owner Mark Cuban oozed confidence during a guest appearance Monday night on Jason Terry's radio show on ESPN 103.3 FM, pointing out that the Mavericks aren't the only Western Conference power that has had problems recently.

"Half the teams are sucking wind, and half the teams are playing well," Cuban said. "... The Lakers are getting torched at home worse than we've been the last few games. Oklahoma City has been playing well, but they haven't had an injury yet -- literally, not one single injury of any consequence -- so it'll be interesting to see if they can keep that up.

"Utah is playing well, but not as well with [Andrei] Kirilenko out. Denver is struggling. San Antonio is playing well most of the time, when Manu [Ginobili] scores 40.

"You look down the list, and nobody's afraid of anybody. Nobody looks at us and says, 'We're afraid of them.' Look, if we dial in, we know we can kill anybody. It's just a question of focus."

Heading into Wednesday's games, only 3½ games separate the No. 2 seed from the No. 8 seed in the conference. The Mavericks, Suns and Nuggets all are a half-game behind the Jazz for the No. 2 seed.

The Spurs, who have pulled within two games of the Mavericks in the Southwest Division, are tied with Oklahoma City at the Nos. 6 and 7 spots. And Portland, currently at No. 8, still has plenty of opportunity to improve its seeding.

Cuban acknowledged that the Mavs have proved they can lose to anybody when they just go through the motions. With five games remaining in the regular season and the Mavs in the midst of a battle royale for playoff seeding, you'd think that wouldn't be a problem.

"If you look down the list, who are the stars that beat us?" Cuban said. "It's the rest of the team when we're out there. You know, we're shutting down Carmelo [Anthony]. We're holding down Kobe [Bryant]. We're holding down Brandon Roy.

"Then we just relax, and that's when we get beat."
Shawn Marion, the Mavericks' top defender, will miss Wednesday's game against the Memphis Grizzlies with a strained oblique and possibly could be out longer.

"The big thing is we're not panicking," Jason Kidd said Tuesday. "We know what we have to address. We're together, that's not a question."

YoMamaIsCallin
04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
The Mavs' arrogance and sense of entitlement continues to astonish me. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder they've never won.

Is there any other team that talks like this? I can't think of one.

And don't think that the players don't pick up on this and feel like, "Oh, we don't really have to stretch and give more than we do now, because the owner thinks we're great already."

Frenzy
04-07-2010, 08:05 PM
"I wanna talk big cause I never won anything"

jjktkk
04-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Gee, has Cuban ever put his foot in mouth with his moronic statements?

CubanSucks
04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
:lol cuban sucks

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:15 PM
what a jackass.

TIMMYD!
04-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Fuck him!

ElNono
04-07-2010, 08:16 PM
E0PIdWdw15U

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-07-2010, 08:19 PM
I didn't read that, but I guess it goes something along these lines:

Cuban: "We know we can kill anybody"

"Just look at our resume: we've been killing our fans championship hopes for a decade".

td4mvp21
04-07-2010, 08:24 PM
If by anybody, he means everyone sans the Lakers, Cavs, or Magic, then I agree.

L.I.T
04-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Why is everyone so mad? Isn't his basically what the majority of Spurstalk has been saying the last few weeks?

"The Spurs are only playing well because they've turned everything over to Manu."

It's an extreme statement of the position (likely to garner an emotional response), but the sentiment is basically the same.

CubanSucks
04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Why is everyone so mad? Isn't his basically what the majority of Spurstalk has been saying the last few weeks?

"The Spurs are only playing well because they've turned everything over to Manu."

It's an extreme statement of the position (likely to garner an emotional response), but the sentiment is basically the same.

buzz kill

RedRaider
04-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Wow what an idiot

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/2nv6zv5.gif

Shaolin-Style
04-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Exaggerates their capabilities like they're going to blow everyone out of the water with no problems whatsoever but most top teams already do say things like this just not as blunt.

Sisk
04-07-2010, 09:06 PM

I don't think anyone is "mad" about that statement, instead we're pointing out how stupid it is to say the mavs could kill anybody.

Spursfan092120
04-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Ub14_iNzt9w

Nathan Explosion
04-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Mark Cuban is an owner who thinks like a fan. I've heard him say he can't understand why more owners aren't like him.

I've heard Cuban on Bill Simmons' podcast, and he was funny, engaging, charismatic and entertaining. He was very likable. The problem is Cuban the owner doesn't understand that Cuban the fan is a jackass.

If we saw a little more of the podcast Cuban, I guarantee most of the posters here (as well as NBA fans everywhere) would like the guy or at the very least feel neutral towards him.

Spurs Brazil
04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Oklahoma City has been playing well, but they haven't had an injury yet -- literally, not one single injury of any consequence -- so it'll be interesting to see if they can keep that up.

lame

OrEmuN
04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
LOL Cuban...

We shoud pity him for spending so much on a team who has failed him every season. However, his brash attitude and loudmouth has dissipated any sympathy for a person like him.

L.I.T
04-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't think anyone is "mad" about that statement, instead we're pointing out how stupid it is to say the mavs could kill anybody.

I was responding more to the OP bolding the lines about the Spurs only playing well and the Mavs could kill anyone. Obviously, Cuban connected the two.

dirk4mvp
04-07-2010, 09:43 PM
It's always funny to see Cuban get spurfans this butthurt :lmao

Frenzy
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM

http://i43.tinypic.com/2nv6zv5.gif

SequSpur
04-07-2010, 11:23 PM

yeah me too....

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Findog
04-07-2010, 11:25 PM
The Mavs' arrogance and sense of entitlement continues to astonish me. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder they've never won.

Is there any other team that talks like this? I can't think of one.

And don't think that the players don't pick up on this and feel like, "Oh, we don't really have to stretch and give more than we do now, because the owner thinks we're great already."

Calm down burrito breath.

SequSpur
04-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Calm down burrito breath.

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Duncan2177
04-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Cuban is a retard.

Findog
04-07-2010, 11:28 PM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Ooh, that's quite a burn from Verne Troyer. :tu

SequSpur
04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/cougars/4.jpg

FO.

Cant_Be_Faded
Cuban is such a born winner at everything he does he carries his blind stupid sense of optimism into his rich man's fantasy basketball experiment.

honestfool84

you dallas fans act like you don't care at all... when in reality you do.

just admit it. dallas sucks when it counts.

spurs. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

dirk4mvp
04-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Those 4 rings don't do any good at covering up spurfans insecurities and butthurt caused by Cuban everytime he makes a statement.

SequSpur
04-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Those 4 rings don't do any good at covering up spurfans insecurities and butthurt caused by Cuban everytime he makes a statement.

your team must win a championship to post here.

Findog
04-07-2010, 11:44 PM

Okay Moderator.

Findog
04-07-2010, 11:45 PM
you dallas fans act like you don't care at all... when in reality you do.

just admit it. dallas sucks when it counts.

spurs. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Just admit it. You can't see your penis in the shower.

FOUR RINGS FAGGOT!

mogrovejo
04-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Agreed. The Mavs can beat any WC team. If I were the Lakers, I'd hate to play them.

Obviously, Hollinger was still right, much to the chagrin of Mavs fans.

Findog
04-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Agreed. The Mavs can beat any WC team. If I were the Lakers, I'd hate to play them.

Obviously, Hollinger was still right, much to the chagrin of Mavs fans.

What was he right about? That we're not as good as Orlando or Cleveland? That the trade didn't put us on their level? Sure, I can agree with that.

Or was he right that we're the 15th-best team in the league?

mogrovejo
04-08-2010, 12:03 AM
What was he right about? That we're not as good as Orlando or Cleveland? That the trade didn't put us on their level? Sure, I can agree with that.

Or was he right that we're the 15th-best team in the league?

That they were being overrated and would regress to the mean in terms of W/L.

I think the Mavericks are a team that is much more dangerous in the playoffs. They're dangerous to teams that rely on a couple of dominant scorers and shot-creators on the half-court. They flood the strongside very well. Plus, Carlisle is an excellent game-manager and very good exploring matchups. PLayoffs series and close games are his environment.

Findog
04-08-2010, 12:14 AM
That they were being overrated and would regress to the mean in terms of W/L.

Is it normal this late in the season for a team to have 8 more wins than what their point differential says they should have? Mavs Pyt. W-L record is 43-35. According to Hollinger, the Mavs 51-27 record is a fluke, and quality-wise, they are a 43-35 team. It's my understanding that he considers close games decided by 5 or less to essentially be coin-flip affairs, regardless of the quality of the two teams involved. Therefore if the Mavs have a great record in close games, that's just heads coming up a few more times than tails according to him.

But given Carlisle's track record as an excellent game manager, Kidd's "quarterbacking" and basketball IQ for lack of a better term, and the two-man game between Dirk and Terry when you need to consistently get good looks offensively in half-court sets during crunchtime, is it all that fluky that they are 51-27 and are good in close games?

mogrovejo
04-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Is it normal this late in the season for a team to have 8 more wins than what their point differential says they should have? Mavs Pyt. W-L record is 43-35. According to Hollinger, the Mavs 51-27 record is a fluke, and quality-wise, they are a 43-35 team. It's my understanding that he considers close games decided by 5 or less to essentially be coin-flip affairs, regardless of the quality of the two teams involved. Therefore if the Mavs have a great record in close games, that's just heads coming up a few more times than tails according to him.

But given Carlisle's track record as an excellent game manager, Kidd's "quarterbacking" and basketball IQ for lack of a better term, and the two-man game between Dirk and Terry when you need to consistently get good looks offensively in half-court sets during crunchtime, is it all that fluky that they are 51-27 and are good in close games?

It's not fluky they win a higher % of close games than most teams. They lead the league last season in close games and are leading it this season meaning there's something to it (the factors you pointed, IMO). It's fluky if they're winning 0.880 of their close games (which they aren't any more, they're at 0.738 right now) and the record is fluky if pretty much every win is close and every loss is large.

It's my understanding that he considers close games decided by 5 or less to essentially be coin-flip affairs, regardless of the quality of the two teams involved.

Not exactly. Good teams will still win a larger % of their close games. But one should expect the best team in the league to win 60ish% of them and the worst team to win 20ish%. I mean, besides the Mavs no team in the last 3 seasons won >70% of their close games.

---

Let's not forget Hollinger was writing in the context of the Mavs winning like 15 games in a row after a significant trade. His point - or at least mine, I didn't pay much attention to what he wrote - was more in the lines "hold on your horses, they didn't become much better, they aren't as good as they're looking now, they won't get the #1 seed, they aren't that distant from whichever team that will get the #8".

DubMcDub
04-08-2010, 12:45 AM
The Mavs' arrogance and sense of entitlement continues to astonish me.

Wait, wait, wait....

..................................:lmao:lmao:lmao

I-R-O-N-Y.

spursrocks
04-08-2010, 12:45 AM
cuban sucks

Findog
04-08-2010, 10:17 AM
---

Let's not forget Hollinger was writing in the context of the Mavs winning like 15 games in a row after a significant trade. His point - or at least mine, I didn't pay much attention to what he wrote - was more in the lines "hold on your horses, they didn't become much better, they aren't as good as they're looking now, they won't get the #1 seed, they aren't that distant from whichever team that will get the #8".[/B]

In my opinion he's not really saying much then. They're not as good as the .1000 Winning Percentage they racked up during a 13-game winning streak? Is that the top headline on NoShitNews.com? I just didn't understand why he was so dismissive of that streak when the Lakers, Hawks, Bobcats, Suns and Magic were among their victims.

I also have a hard time understanding why he thinks Butler/Haywood is only a piddling and incremental upgrade over Howard/Gooden. Butler plays hard every night and is a lot tougher than Howard. He doesn't have a huge attitude problem either. Gooden is a gifted low-post scorer, but the Mavs were trying to get by playing him lots of minutes at the 5. From what I've seen of Haywood so far, I'd like a bit more consistency out of him, but he's a big upgrade when it comes to the distribution of Gooden's minutes.

It's also not really much of a slam on the Mavs to say that 2-8 are pretty damn close in terms of quality. Whether Hollinger was trying to make a dig at the Mavs or Mavs fans were being sensitive and taking umbrage, I don't know.

Flux451
04-08-2010, 10:34 AM
"We know we can kill anybody, in the regular season."

DubMcDub
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
A fun game I like to play sometimes is to get into a conversation with a Spurs fan and see how long it takes him or her to say "FOUR CHAMPIONSHIPS" (or some derivative).

BillMc
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I think it was Stern (or somebody else in high authority) who said "Thou Shalt Not Kill."

jack0fspeed
04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
... I've heard Cuban on Bill Simmons' podcast, and he was funny, engaging, charismatic and entertaining. He was very likable. The problem is Cuban the owner doesn't understand that Cuban the fan is a jackass. ...

You hit the nail on the head.

Cuban didn't make his money by accident. He's an excellent businessman. He's got a great instinct for what's going to sell and how to capitalize. And he's pretty smooth when he's wheeling and dealing.

But he's passionate about basketball to the point where all of his discipline goes out the window. My lasting memory of Cuban will always be when he got in Stern's face after losing in 2006 and told him that his league was rigged. Clearly not a good business decision there. He's acting on pure emotion ... like any idiot fan would. There's also stuff like yelling to Kenyon Martin's mom that her son was a thug. Or yelling at J.R. Smith for throwing an elbow.

Cuban the businessman is a great owner. Cuban the idiot fan makes your eyes roll and ask ... "How did this guy get to be a billionare?"

jj1194
04-08-2010, 01:59 PM
A fun game I like to play sometimes is to get into a conversation with a Spurs fan and see how long it takes him or her to say "FOUR CHAMPIONSHIPS" (or some derivative).

The reason why spursfans would ever bring up such a thing is because a team that is more notorious for choking than Tracy McGrady should never consult a Championship team. I.E. number 1 seed ousted in first round, or going up 2-0 in finals to then get swept and lose series....Cuban will never get a championship saying things such as this because he creates bullentin board material for any team that comes up against them and he never touches the court!:lmao

honestfool84
04-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Just admit it. You can't see your penis in the shower.

FOUR RINGS FAGGOT!

i can't see my penis in the shower because my four huge :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: are in the way.

dbreiden83080
04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
For a team that has never won spit, they sure think a lot of themselves..

duhoh
04-08-2010, 02:08 PM

it's all good man. 2006, remember?

TampaDude
04-08-2010, 02:16 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAHD037_16x20~2006-Miami-Heat-NBA-Champions-Posters.jpg

:lmao

HORNSWOGGLE
04-08-2010, 02:19 PM
LOL mavs

guzmangm
04-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't hate Cuban. He is funny because of the crap he says. He keeps it interesting. That's his strong point, he's a salesman. He's the Vince McMahon of the NBA, selling his team and making controversy to sell a story/interest. It never fails, I always have to click on the link whenever I see Cuban on it, because I want a good laugh... It's especially great to see his face when his team loses, because he can't keep it in... Cuban with egg on his face, priceless...

hunterxaz
04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
67-15 = first round exit. Mark Cuban has great enthusiasm but his smugness owns me.

Findog
04-08-2010, 07:18 PM
For a team that has never won spit, they sure think a lot of themselves..

lol sweaty naked men wresting with each other in your sig and avatar.

ohmwrecker
04-08-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't hate Cuban. He is funny because of the crap he says. He keeps it interesting. That's his strong point, he's a salesman. He's the Vince McMahon of the NBA, selling his team and making controversy to sell a story/interest. It never fails, I always have to click on the link whenever I see Cuban on it, because I want a good laugh... It's especially great to see his face when his team loses, because he can't keep it in... Cuban with egg on his face, priceless...

It's funny . . . those are all the reasons that I hate his stinking guts. However, I do laugh when he loses and he looks like a big, pouty retard baby.

raspsa
04-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Cuban provides color and personality to the league.. love him or hate him its a less boring world because of guys like him.. and he does put his money where his mouth is.. if only Holt was as loaded as Cuban, just imagine what the Spurs could have achieved..

Avitus1
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/Toxiclemonade/Spurs/SpurStuff/mavsgs.jpg
This picture seems appropriate and hell its one of my favorites.

spurs10
04-09-2010, 01:26 AM
That is a funny as hell picture. It cracks me up every time....classic.:lmao

Flux451
04-09-2010, 04:35 AM

And later that day Veronica broke up with Todd in search of a boyfriend that was a fan of a real team.

easy7
04-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Well, stop before the Mav Fans bring out the "Cuban was in dancing with the stars" card and pic.

JR3
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Why is cuban saying that he has enough money to hire someone to Kill anybody? This rubs me the wrong way.

callo1
04-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I started laughing at "Shawn Marion, the Mavericks' top defender"

Strike
04-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Cuban just being the douchebag he supposed to be. Nothing to see here.

galvatron3000
04-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Ub14_iNzt9w

LMBO:lmao

taps
04-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Simpsons hit the nail on the head with their take on Cuban
(there is a 5 second ad before the video starts):

http://www.hulu.com/watch/47723/the-simpsons-mark-cuban

There's another great part at the end of this episode where Mark Cuban is driving a car off a cliff screaming, "Is anybody noticing me?" just before it crashes and bursts into flames. The perfect metaphor.

Cuban is a troll, which means he is starved for attention. The difference is he has billions of dollars.

This time he called out the entire league, that makes his inevitable defeat at the hands of whoever the mavs meet in the POs even sweeter.