PDA

View Full Version : Could Manu Ginobili's Lucrative Contract Extension be a Sign of a Tony Parker Trade?

superjames1992
04-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Just curious on your all's thoughts. I don't mean this to be another Parker-hating thread or anything, so let's not go there.

However, with Manu's lucrative contract extension, the Spurs now have four players on their roster (Duncan, Jefferson, Ginobili, Parker) commanding $10+ million salaries yearly. With Ginobili getting such a pay raise, could it be a sign that Parker could be traded away this offseason, especially as George Hill has developed into a sufficient point guard this offseason and comes with a much cheaper price tag. In addition, the Spurs have played well without Tony.

Of course, it could be a sign that Jefferson could be being traded away, as well.

Parker is a free agent after the 2010-2011 and it seems quite likely that he'll demand a pay raise that the Spurs simply won't be able to afford, in which case it would be advantageous for the Spurs to trade him away to get something in return before losing him to free agency and getting nothing in return.

Thoughts? Maybe the Spurs can afford all four of these guys. I know some of you good salary number-crunchers might be able to find out. :flag:

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 07:55 PM
:shootme

ManuTastic
04-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Not likely. IN all seriousness, I doubt the Spurs FO and Pop would want to try to replace such a huge piece this late in the game (i.e., Duncan's waning years).

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I was going to wait for the offseason for this discussion, but I believe that Manu's extension means that the most likely end to Tony's relationship with the Spurs are:

1. Traded this summer

2. Contract allowed to expire after the 2010-11 season.

I can't see any way that the Spurs meet the price that Tony most certainly believes he deserves.

Frenzy
04-07-2010, 07:57 PM
does tony even deserve a raise? Hill seems like he is up for the job. Plus it could help having another PG. If they did trade parker and hill took point what happens if hill gets hurt? Lot of "what if's" i suppose. What i do know is this season so far... manu deserves the raise and not tony. trade tony?...I still think he knows the plays he fits well. But if they need to cut pay i say they start with jefferson rather than tony.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
If anything it means the complete oposite.

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
this doesnt mean anything. were they going to let manu walk? of course not.. this wasn't a pick 1(tony or manu) thing. this means absolutely nothing concerning parker. Obviously everything depends on the playoffs regarding what we do this summer and in the future... It all boils down the playoffs.. that's it. Not even worth discussing at this point.

Brazil
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM

why ? tbh I was wondering myself the same thing.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:01 PM

The opposite would be giving Tony a multiyear extension this summer that starts at more than 14M for the 2011-12 season.

Do you really think that's going to happen?

NRHector
04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Or some of the elite players might want to be traded to the Spurs knowing that Manu is staying for 3 more years with Duncan and have chance to win :lobt:

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
The opposite would be giving Tony a multiyear extension this summer that starts at more than 14M for the 2011-12 season.

if we win the nba finals. yes. i can see that happening. there is way to many question marks about this team right now for us to even speculate.

DPG21920
04-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I was going to wait for the offseason for this discussion, but I believe that Manu's extension means that the most likely end to Tony's relationship with the Spurs are:

1. Traded this summer

I can't see any way that the Spurs meet the price that Tony most certainly believes he deserves.

Why would they give the money to the older player and not the younger one? Especially when the older one's contract runs past Duncan's?

By signing Manu, that means you are trying to win now. Trading TP in the summer does not align with that.

Why would you let him expire and get nothing for him?

TDomination
04-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Seeing how Parker is the youngest of those 4 and probably has more good years ahead of him compared to the others, I don't think they would trade him.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:04 PM
if we win the nba finals. yes. i can see that happening. there is way to many question marks about this team right now for us to even speculate.

And that's why this discussion is best left for the summer. Too many variables right now.

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:05 PM
And that's why this discussion is best left for the summer. Too many variables right now.

agreed.

rascal
04-07-2010, 08:05 PM

1. Traded this summer

manu is the one who needs to be traded. Parker has far greater future upside. Hill is not a good pg. Hill can play the 2 guard and will be better than Manu in a couple of years anyways.

Manu will be an overpayed shell of a player in a year or two.

ElNono
04-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Well, we should have cleared RJ's contract by then, right?
The big question mark with Tony is the exact same question mark we had with Manu this season. Can he come back healthy and be who he was last season?
If the answer is yes, I can see the Spurs getting it done.

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:07 PM
neither should be traded. we can continue to win with both of them. i dont understand why everything has to be Tony vs Manu :lol

ElNono
04-07-2010, 08:08 PM

I thought Manu was never going to be the same player? :lmao

But I digress. There's no such thing as a no trade clause in Manu's contract, AFAIK. So they can definitely move him if they want to.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Why would they give the money to the older player and not the younger one? Especially when the older one's contract runs past Duncan's?

By signing Manu, that means you are trying to win now. Trading TP in the summer does not align with that.

Why would you let him expire and get nothing for him?

1. We don't how much money Manu will be guaranteed for 2012-13.

2. Winning next year is, indeed, a reason not to trade Tony.

3. If they don't trade or extend Tony this summer, he'll be an unrestricted FA in 2011. As such, they will not control whether or not he can be traded. This summer they can.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:11 PM
manu is the one who needs to be traded. Parker has far greater future upside. Hill is not a good pg. Hill can play the 2 guard and will be better than Manu in a couple of years anyways.

The time to trade Manu for maximum value has passed. The next window to trade Manu will be the summer of 2012.

Parker's trade value will hit it's maximum point this summer. It will never be higher.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:12 PM
why ? tbh I was wondering myself the same thing.

If the Spurs wouldn't have resigned Manu it would have meant that they would go "rebuilding" mode, so trading Parker next season would have become almost an obvious move. By resigning Manu they sent the message that they're still not giving up on this core.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM

No, the oposite IMO would be having less reasons to trade Parker.

baseline bum
04-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I hope not. The Spurs would never get equal value in return.

jestersmash
04-07-2010, 08:17 PM
If the Spurs wouldn't have resigned Manu it would have meant that they would go "rebuilding" mode, so trading Parker next season would have become almost an obvious move. By resigning Manu they sent the message that they're still not giving up on this core.

I don't think so. Why do you have to rebuild without Parker?

If anything, had we let Ginobili walk, we may have tried to rebuild the team around a new big man with Parker at the point/offering us "instant offense" and superb scoring efficiency.

I don't see why it would be an "automatic" to trade Parker away even if we're in rebuilding mode.

I mean, Parker is relatively young and a proven champion. Why trade that level of experience and youth away so "automatically"?

MaNu4Tres
04-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I can see the Spurs letting R.J walk after next year. Depending on if they are able to attain a small forward in the draft this summer or able to sign a small forward who fits like Shane Battier for about 1/3 or 1/4 of R.J's current salary. If Spurs strike out in both scenarios, I'd offer R.J a deal around 7 million per year for 3-4 years as a last resort

Resigning Parker (for the money he will demand) will depend a lot on his and George Hill's productivity from late April to god willing mid-June. If Parker lays an egg during this time, Spurs may consider trading his expiring to a desperate team with cap space that strikes out on all the big name free agents. These desperate teams more than likely will overpay for a player of Parker's caliber and also give him the maximum contract everyone knows him and his agent will demand.

To be a realist, Spurs will most likely stick with Parker til his contract runs dry and do business with him and his agent in the summer of 2011 or even sooner (Depending on his performances from here on out.)

Mr.Robinson
04-07-2010, 08:21 PM

Parker deserves no more than 10 million a season. Once he has no speed he sucks.

ElNono
04-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Let's not forget that the CBA realities at that time might be quite different, and what the Spurs are allowed to offer him might be quite a chunk less than what we're talking about right now.

Trimble87
04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I imagine the answer to these questions depends on how Parker plays this postseason and through the first half of next year. Correct me if I'm wrong but both Parker and Jefferson have appealing expiring contracts next year. If Jefferson continues to get better and Parker returns to being a top 5 pg then voila, you keep them both and are happy. If they under perform or you think you can be better by making trades... then that is what you do.

lennyalderette

see i understand this argument, but the way it seems now i feel like parker and ginobilis relationship has changed . i dont think tp's heart is here and i think every part of manu is silver and black!! i mean they could very well trust hill to run the team since he ran the point during our elite knock out!!! i mean ive heard some crazy things from people who know the guy and from what ive heard it seems hes ready to go elsewhere and no one understands this, he has everything here but he wants major fame i think and isnt going to get the kind he wants here in san antonio. everytime an important player leaves they end up doing nothing as far as rings and titles

DAF86
I don't think so. Why do you have to rebuild without Parker?

If anything, had we let Ginobili walk, we may have tried to rebuild the team around a new big man with Parker at the point/offering us "instant offense" and superb scoring efficiency.

I don't see why it would be an "automatic" to trade Parker away even if we're in rebuilding mode.

I mean, Parker is relatively young and a proven champion. Why trade that level of experience and youth away so "automatically"?

Because you won't be winning a championship the next year anyway, and better get something in return to rebuild for the future than let Tony walk off for nothing.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I can see the Spurs letting R.J walk after next year.

I can see the Spurs trading RJ for a bigman and defensive wing in the offseason.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Let's not forget that the CBA realities at that time might be quite different, and what the Spurs are allowed to offer him might be quite a chunk less than what we're talking about right now.

Which is exactly why I am absolutely certain there will be no extension for Tony this summer. Tony will want to talk extension, but the Spurs will want to wait to see what the new CBA looks like.

They had no choice with Manu. They had to commit some money for 2011-12 and 2012-13 or let him test the waters and risk losing him.

They can wait with Tony until the parameters of the new CBA are known.

My big picture view of the Spurs is that they committed to a two year plan and the Manu extension is part of that. There's good reason to believe that all or most of the 2011-12 won't happen and that the Spurs after 2012 will be in the post-Duncan era.

jason1301
04-07-2010, 08:31 PM
TP is the better player of the two, skill-wise! But in all honesty, has he ever take over a game the way Manu does time and time again?

TP is a great player, but not a franchise player. Unless Pop and FO disagrees with me, we could very well see him traded. I don't see why stay in our team at that price, if not a franchise player.

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:35 PM
TP is the better player of the two, skill-wise!

I don't agree with that.

jason1301
04-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I don't agree with that.

well how about one is nearing his peak and other is on decline?

:P

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
well how about one is nearing his peak and other is on decline?

:P

That I agree with.

lennyalderette
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
parker has no idea what kind of mistake hes making acting like a douche and taking the spurs organization for granted, he will never be in this situation again but hes so damn cocky he would never admit it. im telling you its like a spoiled bratt whos been given everything and thinking its going to be easy for him everywhere, and other coaches are going to be able to do great things with him, but to me hes done here,.

the clue that pop is giving us is Temple being signed as a pg when we had better options at the pg position hes still trying to achieve the george hill pg a pg who plays defense will make us that much better

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
parker has no idea what kind of mistake hes making acting like a douche and taking the spurs organization for granted, he will never be in this situation again but hes so damn cocky he would never admit it. im telling you its like a spoiled bratt whos been given everything and thinking its going to be easy for him everywhere, and other coaches are going to be able to do great things with him, but to me hes done here,.

the clue that pop is giving us is Temple being signed as a pg when we had better options at the pg position hes still trying to achieve the george hill pg a pg who plays defense will make us that much better

:rolleyes

ChumpDumper
04-07-2010, 08:43 PM
parker has no idea what kind of mistake hes making acting like a douche and taking the spurs organization for grantedWhat specifically did he do to make you post this characterization?

pgardn
04-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Any news on Manu's contract containing anything concerning playing for his National team?
Like no you cannot? Im hopin...

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Any news on Manu's contract containing anything concerning playing for his National team?

that isn't allowed.

ffadicted
04-07-2010, 08:46 PM
The real question is, how the fuck are we gonna afford Splitter without some serious luxury tax

pgardn
04-07-2010, 08:46 PM
that isn't allowed.

Alrighty then, any info on any sort of attempt to make a verbal agreement. This has been done with other players. I believe Okur made some agreement with the Jazz...

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:47 PM

No such clause is allowed by the CBA.

The Spurs will have to take Manu's word. I'm sure if he told the team that he will not play that the team trusts him and that he will honor his promise.

DPG21920
04-07-2010, 08:47 PM
1. We don't how much money Manu will be guaranteed for 2012-13.

2. Winning next year is, indeed, a reason not to trade Tony.

3. If they don't trade or extend Tony this summer, he'll be an unrestricted FA in 2011. As such, they will not control whether or not he can be traded. This summer they can.

I thought we were able to determine he got a max deal for him? They would sign and trade TP before losing him for nothing.

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:48 PM
The real question is, how the fuck are we gonna afford Splitter without some serious luxury tax

Only way to get Splitter and avoid a big tax bill is to trade Tony to a team with the cap space to absorb his contract.

DPG21920
04-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Because you won't be winning a championship the next year anyway, and better get something in return to rebuild for the future than let Tony walk off for nothing.

But by that logic, why extend Ginobili to this money? Why not trade Manu this year and get something in return?

ChumpDumper
04-07-2010, 08:49 PM
The real question is, how the fuck are we gonna afford Splitter without some serious luxury taxBy not spending money on any other players.

DPG21920
04-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Only way to get Splitter and avoid a big tax bill is to trade Tony to a team with the cap space to absorb his contract.

Or RJ.

pgardn
04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
No such clause is allowed by the CBA.

The Spurs will have to take Manu's word. I'm sure if he told the team that he will not play that the team trusts him and that he will honor his promise.

Do you think we dare asked?
I would hope so...

BOHOLANO#21
04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Parker deserves no more than 10 million a season. Once he has no speed he sucks.
yup. TP will end up like AI...sucks @ 33 years old...

DAF86
04-07-2010, 08:53 PM
But by that logic, why extend Ginobili to this money? Why not trade Manu this year and get something in return?

See the other posts. I said that in the hipotetical scenario that the Spurs wouldn't have resigned Manu. If they do they obviously think they can still win with this core.

Kori Ellis

Biggest BS I have ever heard.

Spoken like someone who reads gossip magazines.

boutons_deux
"TP is the better player of the two, skill-wise"

:lol

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Do you think we dare asked?
I would hope so...

I remember seeing somewhere that Manu's coach from Argentina said he talked to Manu and doesn't expect him to play from the way Manu sounded. Especially because Manu has twins due in June and the health issues of course

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I thought we were able to determine he got a max deal for him? They would sign and trade TP before losing him for nothing.

The latest reports on Manu are that the third year may or may not be fully guaranteed.

They could try to do a S&T, but then they are limited to dealing with the team that Tony chooses. That team may not have any player we want or may not willing to trade a player of interest to the Spurs.

I'm not, at this point anyway, advocating for a Parker trade.

The fact is that his trade value will peak this summer. If they are to consider a trade, this summer is the time to deal.

DesignatedT
04-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Biggest BS I have ever heard.

Spoken like someone who reads gossip magazines.

:lol

Kori Ellis
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Oh and I don't think signing Manu is an indicator of anything regarding TP. If the Spurs do trade Parker they'd want to get another top tier PG...since they aren't sold on Hill playing the point long-term.

pgardn
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I remember seeing somewhere that Manu's coach from Argentina said he talked to Manu and doesn't expect him to play from the way Manu sounded. Especially because Manu has twins due in June and the health issues of course

thanks...
I had not heard anything.

Pauleta14
04-07-2010, 08:57 PM

Why would he have no speed?
Why being so negative about him?
As great as Manu is Parker was even more productive and less injured than him since he's a spur...

This is the first year he has injury problems and everybody is showing him the door!!! :wow

THE GUY IS ONLY 27 !!!!!!!!!!! RELAX !!

You know what? He is going to keep getting better and better EVERY YEAR until he retires, because he has always done that and as good as he is, he has PLENTY of things to improve!

+ Parker isn't that fast! He is QUICK!! it's different...

Mel_13
04-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Or RJ.

It is, dare I say, quite easy to imagine a team with cap space that fails to get their top FA targets agreeing to absorb TP's contract.

I find it much harder to imagine any such team taking on RJ's deal. They could find much better uses for 15M in cap space, even if they just rent it out in return for good young players like OKC did this year to get Maynor without giving up any talent in return.

jestersmash
04-07-2010, 09:03 PM
As great as Manu is Parker was even more productive and less injured than him since he's a spur...

This is the first year he has injury problems and everybody is showing him the door!!! :wow

You know what? He is going to keep getting better and better EVERY YEAR until he retires, because he has always done that and as good as he is, he has PLENTY of things to improve!

Explain what's different from being "fast" an being "quick."

Just so it's known, i love tony parker. I think he's "fast" as hell, particularly in a fast break situation, and I'm defining fast as ability to cover a large distance on the court over a small period of time (i.e. speed/velocity)

He also has superb handles.

oski1000
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I hope so!!!!:toast:toast:flag::flag:

Mr.Robinson
04-07-2010, 09:34 PM

I guess I'm not used to cheering for a player like him. 07 was the year I began to be annoyed by him. With Hill getting better I think he can be traded. His finals MVP was a joke.

8FOR!3
04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
It wouldn't bother me. Parker's a great player, I just don't think he's the best fit in the world for our offense.