PDA

View Full Version : Tubby Parker

nkdlunch
04-08-2010, 11:37 AM
WTF?? am I the only one who think Parker gained a little more than a few pounds????

his face even looks fat. Someone needs to tell Eva the playoffs are coming and to stop cooking Lechon for that fool.

Time to hit the threadmill TP!!!

IMO his recent suckyness is due mostly to him out of shape

jestersmash
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I see no evidence of him "sucking" recently at all.

Yesterday his stat line was: 5-10 10 pts, 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 TOs in 25 minutes

10 points, 5 assists on 50% shooting in 25 minutes is not sucking.

That's also with him missing some open layups that he'll get eventually. The point is, he was able to get to the rim much more easily than I expected.

I don't think it's fair to have tony parker come back for one game after a month of sitting out, shooting 3-8 (just one away from 50%) in a sacramento game, come back and have a fine game against Phoenix, and cite him off as "sucking."

Ginobili played like balls for half a season, then played spectacularly for a month, then sucked balls for the last two games.

Don't understand why people seem to be harder on Parker than on Ginobili on these forums.

jestersmash
04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
To be fair, he was turnover central in the sacramento game, but let's be reasonable now, you have to give him a few games to get readjusted to the system. It was to be expected,

He performed above his expectations in the phoenix game, to be honest.

MadGymSkillz
04-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Considering I don't think he expected to have to suit up while on the road for a back to back he's been fine. He hasn't shown any hesitation as a result of the injury but his timing does seem to be a bit off. Main thing is that he is getting to the basket and still creating his own opportunities to score.

Cane
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Didn't Eva say he gained some weight?

Yea he does look like he's put on a few and doesn't seem to be in great shape which is understandable I suppose.

Steve Nash and Dragic abused the shit out of him last night but really all the Spurs guards sucked.

jestersmash
04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree, his timing and spacing are not perfect at the moment, but that's to be expected.

He also doesn't even have his tony parker-like speed that he had before, but despite that he's still able to get to the rim just fine. His little tear drop in the lane doesn't seem to have suffered too much.

Parker's tear drop in the lane is one of the most powerful offensive weapons we have. He can get into the heart of the pain often with ease, and being so close to the rim, it's a high percentage shot.

Tear drop is something that should be taught more.

jestersmash
04-08-2010, 11:58 AM
One thing I wasn't pleased with Parker about was his defense. His hustle on defense was especially lacking, but hey, it's tony parker. His role on the spurs is to be a money scorer when we need it with those high percentage tear drops or midrange Js out of screens, or making layups by virtue of his speed on the fast break.

He's an offensive juggernaut when he's on his game, and that's what we need him to be. Ginobili and duncan are not always going to be money on the offense. That's when it's good to have a guy who consistently shoots near 50% from the field, even if his defense is subpar.

baseline bum
04-08-2010, 12:00 PM
This is why I can't understand fans who want the Lakers in round 1. With Parker just coming off injury and not in basketball shape, a potential 1st round matchup with them would be a massacre. At least in later rounds there's always the chance that everyone could be clicking at the same time and give the Spurs a shot to take the series.

Death In June
04-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Parker does look a little fatter and slower, but I'm sure he'll slim down within the coming weeks. If they can get out of the first round, with Parker back in shape and Ghill healthy, I like their chances to get to the finals.

Pauleta14
04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Don't understand why people seem to be harder on Parker than on Ginobili on these forums.

:toast

Welcome to Spurstalk my friend! :lol

Pauleta14
04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Parker does look a little fatter and slower, but I'm sure he'll slim down within the coming weeks. If they can get out of the first round, with Parker back in shape and Ghill healthy, I like their chances to get to the finals.

There nothing but playing time to get back on shape.

I still think though that these two last weeks could be enough...

Cane
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM

There nothing but playing time to get back on shape.

I still think though that these two last weeks could be enough...

He might look better but plantar fasciitis will probably hinder him incredibly. Really sucks for Parker since his strength is his foot speed.

Johnny RIngo
04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I see no evidence of him "sucking" recently at all.

Yesterday his stat line was: 5-10 10 pts, 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 TOs in 25 minutes

10 points, 5 assists on 50% shooting in 25 minutes is not sucking.

That's also with him missing some open layups that he'll get eventually. The point is, he was able to get to the rim much more easily than I expected.

I don't think it's fair to have tony parker come back for one game after a month of sitting out, shooting 3-8 (just one away from 50%) in a sacramento game, come back and have a fine game against Phoenix, and cite him off as "sucking."

Ginobili played like balls for half a season, then played spectacularly for a month, then sucked balls for the last two games.

People were just as hard on Ginobili, last season, when he was dealing with injuries.

timaios
04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Didn't Eva say he gained some weight?

Yea he does look like he's put on a few and doesn't seem to be in great shape which is understandable I suppose.

Steve Nash and Dragic abused the shit out of him last night but really all the Spurs guards sucked.

Steve Nash scored the majority of his points against Temple & Mason.
Parker had a stupid defense when he let Nash have that jumpshot at the end of the half (the 2 possessions for 1) besides that his defense was ok.
And Dragic abused Parker with a fantastic 2/8.

Parker didn't play for 1 month. Give him a break.

urunobili
04-08-2010, 12:35 PM
lol he's actually leaner...

in2deep
04-08-2010, 12:35 PM
he looks like a mini big baby Davis out there

no worries, he'll be in shape by playoffs

nkdlunch
04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
by suckyness I meant, he is 25% of what the real TP should be

on the same note, 16pts 6 assists in 30 mins is not sucking balls either

Pauleta14
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM
He might look better but plantar fasciitis will probably hinder him incredibly. Really sucks for Parker since his strength is his foot speed.

That's the only mystery to be, the Spurs keep the media in the dark about players injuries, so we can only speculate about that unfortunately...

But remembering the 4 or 5 last games before his hand injury, he looked great (at least at 90%)!

Cane
04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
That's the only mystery to be, the Spurs keep the media in the dark about players injuries, so we can only speculate about that unfortunately...

But remembering the 4 or 5 last games before his hand injury, he looked great (at least at 90%)!

Yea, he did look great then. Here's hoping for the best.

jjktkk
04-08-2010, 01:08 PM
WTF?? am I the only one who think Parker gained a little more than a few pounds????

his face even looks fat. Someone needs to tell Eva the playoffs are coming and to stop cooking Lechon for that fool.

Time to hit the threadmill TP!!!

IMO his recent suckyness is due mostly to him out of shape

LOL, I did notice Parker, looking alittle chunky.

Harry Callahan
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
There's a good chance the PF settled down with an entire month of inactivity. He should actually be less hindered by it. The offseason will take care of it regardless.

cheguevara
04-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Tony himself said he gained a few pounds. He said because of eating that good french food and cause Eva cooks some good soup.

spurtech09
04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
he did look very slow....

sananspursfan21
04-08-2010, 03:38 PM
what's a threadmill?

Goran Dragic
04-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Ducks is by far the worst poster on ST and I honestly think has made people hate Parker because he's a huge Parker homer and Ginobili hater.

siraulo23
04-08-2010, 04:42 PM
We'll see if his PF is still bothering him, or he is just rusty in a few games

Didn't really notice if he gained weight

IMO he looked pretty good before he had that broken hand, which is why I'm optimistic he'll be back as TP of old in the playoffs

We'll see in a few games

ploto
04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Dragic defended Tony well in international play even when Tony was healthy. Truth be told, his success defensively against Tony in national team play is a big reason he made it to the NBA.

Goran Dragic
04-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Dragic defended Tony well in international play even when Tony was healthy. Truth be told, his success defensively against Tony in national team play is a big reason he made it to the NBA.

+1 this is 100% true. I became a fan of him so early once I saw some footage of him guarding Parker in international player, the Suns were so desperate to get him because of this.

siraulo23
04-08-2010, 05:23 PM
+1 this is 100% true. I became a fan of him so early once I saw some footage of him guarding Parker in international player, the Suns were so desperate to get him because of this.

So you became a fan of yourself watching a footage of yourself guarding TP... :toast

spursrocks
04-08-2010, 06:25 PM
we badly missed the 3 point shooting and defensive presence of george hill, he might have helped big time against phoenix last night. sad to say but parker's only asset is to penetrate.
but.. parker is slow cause he isnt healthy
parker's shooting is affected cause his hand just got injured. coach pop will definitly start the healthier point guard right? i personally wont start a 70% parker. i would rather start a 100% georgie
we are not parker haters. we just want george to start and parker to lead the 2nd unit.

spursrocks
04-08-2010, 06:32 PM
i say start george when comes back, retain the starting line up that destroyed teams like cleveland, boston, orlando, thunder, houston and lakers. then tony leading the bench 2nd unit.

raspsa
04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I guess we were all hoping the rest woud help with his Plantar Fasciitis but it looks like it will be with him for the rest of the season. Hopefully he rests during the offseason just like Timmy did years back. I think Tony is beginning to get a better appreciation of the toll his body is taking and the need to rest when possible. He's gettinginto middle age as far as BB players are concerned.

Sisk
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
in the interview right after hill went down the reporter said his wife told her he'd gained some weight.. then he said he couldn't keep his hands off of french food

who knows..

Spurminator
04-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Jesus Christ there are some stupid mother fuckers on this forum.

in2deep
04-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Jesus Christ there are some uptight assholes in this forum.

Ice009
04-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Parker, to me, before the injury looked like one of the most focused players on the team.

The 5 games or so before he got hurt he looked like he was locking in and starting to get very focused.

People here have a short memory. Tony was starting to play the way I was expecting him to at the start of the season.

cheguevara
04-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Parker, to me, before the injury looked like one of the most focused players on the team.

The 5 games or so before he got hurt he looked like he was locking in and starting to get very focused.

People here have a short memory. Tony was starting to play the way I was expecting him to at the start of the season.

don't really remember exactly. But I do remember he was hobbled with a number of injuries. SO he was not the TP of 2008-2009.

He was just an average player in a shitty team.