PDA

View Full Version : Jared Dudley knows how to stop Manu Ginobili — ask Twitter

duncan228
04-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Jared Dudley knows how to stop Manu Ginobili — ask Twitter (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Jared-Dudley-knows-how-to-stop-Manu-Ginobili-md;_ylt=AoadG2ffJVk4HwjhrZZ0lVgH26B4?urn=nba,23291 4)
By Trey Kerby
Ball Don't Lie

Manu Ginobili has been running things as of late. In the Spurs' last 10 games, he's averaged a shade over 25 points a game and knocked down at least two threes each night. In four of those games, Charles Barkley's favorite player scored 30 or more points, including a season high of 43 against the Magic. In completely related news, the Spurs won eight of those games. Not a bad couple of weeks.

So going in to the Phoenix Suns' matchup with Ginobili and the Spurs, Jared Dudley knew he had to do something. Somehow, he needed to shut down this scoring machine. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so Dudley did what we all do when we need answers — he took to Twitter (http://twitter.com/JaredDudley619/status/11781594810).

Got the hated spurs tonight lol.. Have to find a way to slow down Ginoblii.. He's been on a tear lately.. How should we guard him tonight?

JaredDudley619
Jared Dudley

After some responses, Dudley summed up the fans' defensive plans (http://twitter.com/JaredDudley619/status/11783102993).

So what I'm getting from y'all is make him go right, be physical with him, and keep him out the lane.Ok ok I'll let my teammates know.Thanks

Amazingly, it worked (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2010040721). Ginobili scored only 10 points on 5-14 shooting, made no three-pointers, and had two turnovers in the Spurs loss. It was his worst game in a month and third lowest scoring output since the All-Star break. See Detroit (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Social-networking-is-not-working-for-the-Detroit?urn=nba,232397#comments), this is how you harness the power of social networking.

Hopefully, crowdsourcing game plans is the next big Twitter craze. I don't know about you, but I anxiously await the day when you can look at Twitter's top trending topics and see "#howtostopLeBron" and "#thisishowyoubeattheNuggets" alongside "#JustinBieberRocks." It's a pipe dream for now, but this is a good first step.

(h/t Matt Moore (http://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/11807862097))

newacc
04-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Also get him when he's really tired and worn down.

bthewigwam
04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
helps when you havent played a game in 4 days and you're playing a team that is on back to backs. jared dudley is a tool

ChumpDumper
04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Tony Parker is playing tonight. That means we don't have to worry about Ginobili anymore.

JaredDudley619
Jared Dudley

bdictjames
04-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Holy s*** really?

ohmwrecker
04-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Jared Dudley is a terrible basketball player. What a punk bitch. I REALLY want the Suns in the playoffs.

CubanSucks
04-08-2010, 02:37 PM
What's funny is you know some losers actually thought the suns player gave a fuck about what they said. Make him go to his non dominant hand, keep him out of the lane, and be physical. :wow You know what other players that genius strategy would work on? EVERYONE

nkdlunch
04-08-2010, 02:40 PM
actually Manu started slowing down in the Sacto game. Just worn out. He will recharge after the road trip and be fine.

Spursfanfromafar
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
"Always ensure that you play the Spurs when they are playing back-to-back".

"Don't try all the advice you receive in a playoff game. Manu will get by you and make a fool of you".

alchemist
04-08-2010, 02:49 PM
:lol calm down folks, this was in good fun

spurtech09
04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
let me see......spurs back 2 back on the road.....suns 2 days off and at home?.....who has the major advantage.....suns.....spurs look fatigue last night and the suns had more engery....all I can say is lakers,cavs,orlando,celtics.......spurs are better than the suns

crc21209
04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
:lmao wow....

Xylus
04-08-2010, 03:44 PM
:lol

And :lmao at everyone acting like JD insulted Manu or something. Dudley's the coolest motherfucker in the NBA.

urunobili
04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Props to Dudley.. he's the new 08 Vujacic :tu

spurtech09
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
jared dudley still plays lmao

easjer
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM

What? It's funny. And there is truth to it. At least as much as the fact that it was a back to back, etc.

mogrovejo
04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Tony Parker is playing tonight. That means we don't have to worry about Ginobili anymore.

JaredDudley619
Jared Dudley

Some truth in there.

And :lmao at everyone acting like JD insulted Manu or something. Dudley's the coolest motherfucker in the NBA.

Agreed.

benefactor
04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
If it were a playoff game Manu would have wrecked him.

CubanSucks
04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Dudley's the coolest motherfucker in the NBA.

How

Blackjack
04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Dudley's a good guy, with a good sense of humor and, unlike a lot of players, he actually 'gets it'.

Hell, the guy was lobbying to be drafted by the Spurs because of the respect he had for the team and the belief that he could be a great role player in their system.

Matt Moore is fanning the flames more than anything Dudley had to say. As has been mentioned, it was all in good fun; something he wouldn't have been having a lot of if he wasn't facing a dead-legged Ginobili . . .

Goran Dragic
04-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Props to Dudley.. he's the new 08 Vujacic :tu

Damn you are one really pissed off Nazi sympathizer after the game last night.

I would make an announcement this was obviously a joke but the first people in this thread who did obviously didn't stop you guys from being defensive.

Xylus
04-08-2010, 04:25 PM
How

Great sense of humor, connects with his fans, approachable by all accounts, gives respect to all of his opponents, isn't dirty, fan favorite, gives great interviews, locker room "glue guy", hits big shots in the 4th quarter, not afraid of anyone, regularly defends the best player on the opposing team, hustles his ass off every night, etc.

I mean, I could go on if you'd like.

urunobili
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Damn you are one really pissed off Nazi sympathizer after the game last night.

lol :lol u mad? I was actually giving your boy props :rolleyes

I would make an announcement this was obviously a joke but the first people in this thread who did obviously didn't stop you guys from being defensive.

Dudley is cool and I'd love him to be a Spur. great defender and high% three point shooter... YOU with your Nazi comment and personal attack... you're still a lil loser punk who doesn't dare to post under his own nickname so you jo with your life-full pathetic avatar :toast

CubanSucks
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Great sense of humor, connects with his fans, approachable by all accounts, gives respect to all of his opponents, isn't dirty, fan favorite, gives great interviews, locker room "glue guy", hits big shots in the 4th quarter, not afraid of anyone, regularly defends the best player on the opposing team, hustles his ass off every night, etc.

:rolleyes Everything you just mentioned could be said about 90% of players

Xylus
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM
:rolleyes Everything you just mentioned could be said about 90% of players

Right.

Goran Dragic
04-08-2010, 04:37 PM
lol :lol u mad? I was actually giving your boy props :rolleyes

Dudley is cool and I'd love him to be a Spur. great defender and high% three point shooter... YOU with your Nazi comment and personal attack... you're still a lil loser punk who doesn't dare to post under his own nickname so you jo with your life-full pathetic avatar :toast

It's called trolling, it's in response to the assinine "April 7th championship" comments. No one thinks they won a championship. Same with your other comment, it seemed like you were making a bitter response to Dudley when he was obviously joking.

austN Spur
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Of course its not good that the spurs lost, however they got the best that the Suns had to offer and the experience should or could be valuable during the playoff run. I dont see the suns playing any better than that.

It was a piss poor night from the foul line. :bang and turnovers could be fixed. The Suns cant change the fact that they will be dominated on the offensive boards. even when lopez gets a taste of playoff ball

Goran Dragic
04-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Of course its not good that the spurs lost, however they got the best that the Suns had to offer and the experience should or could be valuable during the playoff run. I dont see the suns playing any better than that.

It was a piss poor night from the foul line. :bang and turnovers could be fixed. The Suns cant change the fact that they will be dominated on the offensive boards. even when lopez gets a taste of playoff ball

I don't expect much from the Suns in the playoffs, but saying you don't see the Suns playing any better than that when their starting center was injured makes no sense. I'm willing to admit that the Suns caught the Spurs on an off night for several obvious reasons, but by no means were the Suns at "full strength".

Goran Dragic
04-08-2010, 04:52 PM
The Suns cant change the fact that they will be dominated on the offensive boards.

:lmao really? Getting their starting center back won't change that?

Phenomanul
04-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Joke or not... made in jest or whatever... all I know is that Ginobili will relish making Dudley look like a fool should the Spurs be paired against the Suns in the playoffs... nothing personal. Simply additional incentive now exists... Did you all see the look Manu got when Sasha Vujacic entered the game on Sunday? The look Kobe used to get when facing Ruben Patterson? etc... Dudley is now in for the same... Even Michael Jordan continues lambasting those who self-proclaimed they could stop him (Byron Russell anyone?)...

"C'est la vie" in the NBA...

You don't go around fueling competitive players like Ginobili by making unecessary... scratch that... unwise comments such as those... especially on a platform where 'all the world' can see...

austN Spur
04-08-2010, 05:01 PM
thats my story and i'm sticking to it. Until that lopez KID does something in the playoffs YUP

I dont think lopez is 100% better than what they had at center last night. maye 50% but my opinion is more like 30%

Ouch tiger woods just shanked it

Goran Dragic
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
thats my story and i'm sticking to it. Until that lopez KID does something in the playoffs YUP

I dont think lopez is 100% better than what they had at center last night. maye 50% but my opinion is more like 30%

Ouch tiger woods just shanked it

What exactly is your measuring stick for that? Whether or not you're sticking to your story doesn't change the fact it has no logical backing. The Suns were 24-18 when they put Lopez in the starting lineup. Since then they've gone 27-9 (25-6 if you take away the 5 game adjustment period following the lineup change). The Spurs were playing the 24-18 Suns, not the 25-6 Suns.

TheProfessor
04-08-2010, 05:13 PM
People are taking this too personally.

austN Spur
04-08-2010, 05:15 PM
My logical backing would be 25+ years of watching basketball with years mixed in with league pass. I had it the first year they came out with league pass when i still lived with my momma so long ago.

Xylus
04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Joke or not... made in jest or whatever... all I know is that Ginobili will relish making Dudley look like a fool should the Spurs be paired against the Suns in the playoffs... nothing personal. Simply additional incentive now exists... Did you all see the look Manu got when Sasha Vujacic entered the game on Sunday? The look Kobe used to get when facing Ruben Patterson? etc... Dudley is now in for the same... Even Michael Jordan continues lambasting those who self-proclaimed they could stop him (Byron Russell anyone?)...

"C'est la vie" in the NBA...

You don't go around fueling competitive players like Ginobili by making unecessary... scratch that... unwise comments such as those... especially on a platform where 'all the world' can see...
What in the fuck are you even talking about? Please tell me what he said that you find so disrespectful.

Dudley complimented Ginobili by acknowledging how tough it is to guard him. Your lack of reading comprehension is appalling.

howbouthemspurs
04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
What a douche!

Flux451
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Good thing Dudley figured out a way to guard the Spurs free throws.

easy7
04-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Sasa Dudley... Bubba get the table and testify.

Blackjack
04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Sasa Dudley... Bubba get the table and testify.

http://crunkish.com/qimages/5/dudleyboys_01.jpg

Damn ... that's quite large . . .

Blackjack
04-08-2010, 07:05 PM
And no ... that's not what she said. :(

FkLA
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Im like the biggest Manu homer on this site, but come on people...this shit is nothing to get upset about. If youve heard Dudley's interviews or seen the vids the Suns post on youtube youd know this is all in good fun. He even gave Manu props for his play as of late.

Supergirl
04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
LOL, any NBA player who needs to consult fans on Twitter for defensive advice SHOULDN'T BE AN NBA PLAYER ANYMORE. Seriously. I think that should be written into their contracts: If you have to consult fans on social networking platforms for defense advice, you will be promptly cut from the team.

alchemist
04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
lol butthurt spurfan

hunterxaz
04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I can't believe you guys think he was legitimately asking fans on how to guard him. Regardless, he punked Manu's ass.

Phenomanul
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
What in the fuck are you even talking about? Please tell me what he said that you find so disrespectful.

Dudley complimented Ginobili by acknowledging how tough it is to guard him. Your lack of reading comprehension is appalling.

Chill out... you don't have to hurl insults at me... :lol

I agree it's not Jared's fault that Yahoo decided to link his twitter account with the following headline:

"Jared Dudley knows how to stop Manu Ginobili — ask Twitter"

Like I said it's not like Manu will make it personal... but he is a frequent surfer of the internets, probably one of the most technologically savvy players in the NBA... anyway... any incentive is as good as any to go at an opposing player... and now he has one (just ask Shaq, who had to make up stories about David Robinson not signing an autograph for him... as an incentive to play against him)...

Dudley could have avoided saying... "it worked..."

think incentive...

not insulting...

and that's where Dudley tripped up...

any player should play down the media's attempt to label them a ____-stopper...

They tried to do that to George Hill a few days ago... he wisely played it down and deflected the question...

As you already noted... Dudley asked a simple innocent question, complimenting Ginobili in the process...

He should have stopped there...

I've nothing against the dude... he seems like a classy player... And while he might have commited an honest mistake stemming from the euphoria of the Suns' win... it's a mistake nonetheless...

hunterxaz
04-08-2010, 08:06 PM
you guys won't get far enough in the playoffs to face us, so why does it matter?

Kool Bob Love
04-08-2010, 08:19 PM

how about you get off your knees...:wakeup

Dudley is lame...

pawe
04-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Sheesh lighten up people. Dudley 619 is a cool cat and is very active in twitter and even on the local sports radio.
He knows Sun fans hate the Spurs and specially Manu so he actually is smart for knowing how to milk the match up.

G-Dawgg
04-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Tony Parker's playing tonite so we don't have to worry about Manu anymore.. -or the rest of the Spurs team for that matter. YAY!
Jared Dudley362436

Xylus
04-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Chill out... you don't have to hurl insults at me... :lol

I agree it's not Jared's fault that Yahoo decided to link his twitter account with the following headline:

"Jared Dudley knows how to stop Manu Ginobili — ask Twitter"

Like I said it's not like Manu will make it personal... but he is a frequent surfer of the internets, probably one of the most technologically savvy players in the NBA... anyway... any incentive is as good as any to go at an opposing player... and now he has one (just ask Shaq, who had to make up stories about David Robinson not signing an autograph for him... as an incentive to play against him)...

Dudley could have avoided saying... "it worked..."

think incentive...

not insulting...

and that's where Dudley tripped up...

any player should play down the media's attempt to label them a ____-stopper...

They tried to do that to George Hill a few days ago... he wisely played it down and deflected the question...

As you already noted... Dudley asked a simple innocent question, complimenting Ginobili in the process...

He should have stopped there...

I've nothing against the dude... he seems like a classy player... And while he might have commited an honest mistake stemming from the euphoria of the Suns' win... it's a mistake nonetheless...

Dudley never said "it worked." Trey Kerby, the author of the article, did...

Dudley lightheartedly asked his fans how they think he should defend Ginobili, because Ginobili is a hard player to guard. It was a complimentary question.

Phenomanul
04-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Dudley never said "it worked." Trey Kerby, the author of the article, did...

Dudley lightheartedly asked his fans how they think he should defend Ginobili, because Ginobili is a hard player to guard. It was a complimentary question.

Well then that sucks for Dudley... due to Trey's exaggerations Manu will likely go hard at Dudley the next time they meet... blame his article...

elbamba
04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Hopefully the Spurs place will be set so he can take the last game against Dallas off. I would love to see the Suns in round one. I am sure Manu would love to see Dudley defending him over Kobe.

MarCowMar
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I wish Pop would post these kinds of questions to Twitter.

Supergirl
04-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Jared Dudley is a scrub. One good game does not change that fact.

ffadicted
04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Make a lefty slasher go right and keep him out of the lane = Professional tips, completely unheard of stuff...

Spurs7794
04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Well then that sucks for Dudley... due to Trey's exaggerations Manu will likely go hard at Dudley the next time they meet... blame his article...

Manu is not going to get motivated over an article about a twitter comment complimenting him. Manu is not an idiot. He'll get his motivation from wanting to win.

I feel like after the first person misinterpreted Dudley's twitter message, the floodgates opened and everyone got defensive as hell. Its actually pretty hilarious. :lol

easjer
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
What I find most amusing is that I know a lot of people who would LOVE to be asked their opinion on how to guard someone or play someone. We break that down on here all the time and frequently ask why they can't see that all they have to do is X or Y . . .

Here is a player, taking it to the fans, playing up a rival, having a good time and people are hugely defensive over it.

Phenomanul
04-09-2010, 05:07 PM
If you [either of the two posters above] are implying that my take on the matter is defensive... you've got my perspective completely twisted...

I'm simply stating a fact...

Competitive players like Ginobili... will use anything as an added incentive to win [not that winning alone is not enough of an incentive]... even if they don't openly admit it... the author of this blog unintentionally placed Jared Dudley in a precarious position by publishing his 'jestful' headline...

Originally I thought it was Dudley who suggested that "it [the advice] worked".... when apparently that gem was fabricated Trey, the author of the yahoo article... the author then proceeded to sensationalize the matter further by suggesting that Dudley was a "Manu-stopper"...

I will maintain that this portrayal of Dudley will likely fuel Manu the next time they match-up... I mean it's not like he doesn't have a precedent for responding to this scenario... that's why I commented on the fact that Manu's entire demeanor changed the moment Sasha Vujacic was asked to guard him at LA. Manu remembers...

Go back and watch the tape if you don't believe me....