PDA

View Full Version : More Finley

raspsa
04-09-2010, 07:05 AM
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nba_experts__49/ept_sports_nba_experts-27583653-1270747757.jpg?ymuZ68CDP1yg7vFv

There's old, there's Celtic old, and then there's Michael Finley old

By Trey Kerby

So the Celtics are old. You know this already. They've got seven guys on the roster over 30, eight if you count the recently departed Eddie House(notes). Kevin Garnett's(notes) leg is made of wood, Paul Pierce(notes) needs new knees, and Ray Allen's(notes) ankles are really just two pieces of bone held together with rubber cement and bungee cords. Age is starting to catch up to these guys. That being said, even on the Celtics, Michael Finley(notes) gives old a new meaning.

I'm not just talking about being the first Celtic with slightly graying hair, I'm talking about him starting to get old man injuries. You know, like, tearing a knee ligament while shoveling or spraining a neck while sleeping. Or maybe, say, straining his back while picking up a suitcase, which actually happened to Old Man Finley Wednesday.

"It's amazing. Eddie [Lacerte, the team trainer] called me today because he didn't think Mike could play because he strained his back in his room picking up luggage," [Celtics coach Doc] Rivers said. "That's when you know you're old. Mike went out and warmed up and said he was great."

What is Finley doing carrying his own luggage? Didn't any of the younger Celtics learn that you should give the elderly a hand when they're struggling with their suitcases? It's just nice.

But Findog wasn't the only Bostonian to suffer an age-related malady. Kevin Garnett was struck with a minor case of oldness during the game against the Raptors when he and Jose Calderon(notes) smacked into each other, leaving KG limping.

"Old age again," Rivers said. "We're old. We get hurt running sometimes. I was surprised to see him behind me. He was at the scorer's table. That was a good sign for me, but I never ask."

When you get to be that old, things just start falling apart. They say the legs are the first to go. Let's just hope the Boston training staff has mass quantities of Ensure, Metamucil and Bengay to help these geezers get over their various bumps and bruises.

And would it kill them to turn down the locker room music to a respectable level every once in a while? Golly!

TJastal
04-09-2010, 07:12 AM
:lmao

Avitus1
04-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Best Finley article I've seen in years..

ezau
04-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Shit

the crimson blur
04-09-2010, 07:27 AM
You can at least link to the article...

wildbill2u
04-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Isn't it strange that the media mantra for at least four years was all about how the Spurs were old, too old to be taken seriously.

Now it's the Celtics who are demonstrably older than we ever were, especially considering KEY players, but they don't get near the same criticism as the Spurs have had to endure. This article is one of the few that points to their age in negative terms and doesn't refer to the craftiness and experience of their KEY veterans.

Why? Because they're the Celtics and media darlings.

carina_gino20
04-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I thought it was an Onion story. :lol

Link to the original article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/There-s-old-there-s-Celtic-old-and-then-there-?urn=nba,232984

JR3
04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
wow... glad he left san antonio for the retirement home in boston.

Manudo Flopo
04-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Fuckers like the spurts are young..

Look at your roster full of geriatric players:

Duncon
Ginofloppi
McDyess
Jefferson

Look in the mirror assholes @!!!~

Flux451
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM

Duncon
Ginofloppi
McDyess
Jefferson

DICK isn't that old. Pro 8 years, 30?

3 guys that you list are up there in age, but that doesn't make our roster "full" of geriatric players.

Nice try. Sometimes hating for the sake of hating w/o thinking of said hating renders one a dumbass.

Death In June
04-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Can't fault Louis for being the product of fetal alcohol syndrome, but "ginofloppi" is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read. It's offensive, but not for the reasons he intended.

Stringer_Bell
04-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Can't fault Louis for being the product of fetal alcohol syndrome, but "ginofloppi" is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read. It's offensive, but not for the reasons he intended.

I actually thought it was pretty funny in a "grabbing at straws" kind of way. How is it offensive?

Death In June
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Haven't you ever heard something so stupid, it just offends your senses? Don't get me wrong though, I like Louis. Ducks, Louis, etc. they make the board entertaining.

Stringer_Bell
04-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Don't you ever hear something so stupid, it just offends your senses? Don't get me wrong though, I like Louis. Ducks, Louis, etc. they make the board entertaining.

AHAHA! Yes, that's why I thought it was funny but for a second I thought it was offensive in an ethnic slur type of way and I couldn't figure it out.

easy7
04-09-2010, 12:57 PM
DICK isn't that old.
He loves Dick. He just wants someone to call him out. :hat

Bambililos
04-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Great read

callo1
04-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Duncon
Ginofloppi
McDyess
Jefferson

I looked in the mirror, but all I saw was a 94-73 beatdown of the Celtics on their home court. :wow

DesignatedT
04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Finley is a joke.

TIMMYD!
04-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I hate the "old" label everyone puts on us when we are included in some kind of analysis.

JWest596
04-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Don't look now but it's starting to happen to Kobe Bryant as well and it shows as well.