PDA

View Full Version : Rivers reports to Chargers training camp

ducks
08-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Rivers reports to Chargers training camp

CARSON, Calif. (AP) -- Rookie quarterback Philip Rivers officially ended his holdout early Tuesday and took part in his first practice with the San Diego Chargers.

Rivers, the fourth overall pick in April's NFL draft, signed a six-year contract worth a reported $40.5 million in base salary and $10 million more in incentives before practice, and then suited up and took part in drills.

``I'm glad to be back here doing the part of football that I love,'' said Rivers, who agreed to terms late Monday. ``(The holdout) was something that I'm not used to and it's a tough, long process, but it's over and I'm excited to be back practicing today.

``You're a little anxious and uncertain when you've been out of practice for that long, but I thought it went well. The guys welcomed me back well, which I'm happy about.''

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said if Rivers has a strong week in camp, he may see playing time in Friday night's exhibition game against the Seattle Seahawks in San Diego.

``If you don't know me yet, you'll know that I love to play,'' Rivers said. ``I'm gonna see how it goes. Coach Schottenheimer and those guys certainly know the best route to take and I'll be ready to do whatever they choose.''

Rivers was the last first-round pick to sign. His bitter holdout wiped away roughly three weeks of practice and two exhibition games.

Betsy
08-25-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't get it. Is this guy that good? He holds out, misses training camp and still gets what he wants and will probably see playing time on Fri. :wtf

I think that Brees was very good. They should have stuck with him, worked him to a good QB and told this guy to get lost. :cuss

Jimcs50
08-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Betsy, he has been in camp reading the playbook, and going through drills, but has not put on pads. Rivers is going to be one of the best QBs around, I liked him more than Manning anyway...just give him time and the Chargers will forget the holdout. BTW, Ladamian missed the whole camp too a few yrs ago, and he turned out fine for SD.