PDA

View Full Version : Houston's big plan

djohn2oo8
04-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Some the stuff in this article sounds like bullshit, but again it is Hoopsworld. Fwiw

The Rockets Plan: While the Houston Rockets won't enter the off-season sitting on a boatload of salary cap space, they will enter free agency with a boatload of very tradable assets.

Ownership has given the mandate that management can do whatever it feels can get the Rockets back into the playoff hunt next year and contending for a championship.

That may start with their own free agents Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry.
Scola will likely draw the most attention of the bunch and Rocket's GM Daryl Morey wanted it crystal clear that his club would match whatever offers Scola receives as a restricted free agent.
"He will be back," Morey said to Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6950784.html).

"[Owner] Leslie [Alexander] gave us the resources and said whatever it takes," Morey said. "He's back." "He's core to our plans," Morey said. "The guy, you always know you get great effort, great play. No chance he's not back in Houston.

I think the feeling is mutual." Scola for his part wants to return to Houston, but will still need another team to establish his value with an Offer Sheet, that's how restricted free agency plays out. Sources close to the situation have been clear that there will not be a lot of gamesmanship played with Scola. Houston wants to get a deal done which was welcomed by Scola who is optimistic he'll be a Rocket next season.

"I was happy (to hear Morey's comments)," Scola said. "I know they like me. I know they want me to stay. But the process is not that simple. It's not they want me to stay, I want to stay, it's done. I'm optimistic. But just like they will do whatever they have to do, I will probably do what I have to do.

"I forbid my agent from talking to me about it," Scola said. "I made my own collective bargaining agreement rules. All it is is a distraction so I told my guy once the season is over we'll get together and find out what we're going to do. I did not even allow him to talk to me."

"I want to be here. I like Houston. But there are a lot of things to talk about. I'm a professional. I've been playing around the world. I'll do whatever I have to do. I want to be in Houston and I want to be in the NBA, but if I have to go, I'll go to another team in the NBA or another team around the world."

The Rockets are in the driver's seat with both Scola and Lowry, who will be restricted free agents after Houston issues qualifying offers to both players.

Lowry, who is a backup in Houston, will likely see some interest from the marketplace but sources close to the situation are convinced that Houston will match all reasonable offers on Lowry. The real question is how aggressive will Houston be in going after another marquee star such as Phoenix's Amar'e Stoudemire or Toronto's Chris Bosh?

Sources close to Houston's thinking say that simply playing the status quo and waiting for Yao Ming to return is not nearly enough and that Houston will get involved with some of the major free agents.

Those same sources said it's not out of the questions that Trevor Ariza or even recently acquired Kevin Martin could be included in a sign-and-trade deal if it were to land them Bosh or Stoudemire.

So while returning Scola and Lowry are a priority for Houston, don't be surprised to see Daryl Morey and company get aggressive with other players.

Management has been given the green light by ownership to offer major sign and trade deals, so while Houston won't have cap space, they do have tradable assets that could get a bigger deal done.
It should be an interesting off-season for the Rockets.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=15894#ixzz0kW8X78Zp

Ghazi
04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Houston's FO has done a DAMN GOOD JOB.

noob cake
04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Shame that there are lot a of PF FA's.

Boozer is barely an update for Scola. A'mare and Bosh are only minor upgrades, probably not worth the larger contract and assets we need to send in order to acquire one of them.

We don't think we need that extra 2.5 apg from JJ; where the fuck will Martin go if we target JJ? Martin scores just as well, if not better.

LeBron won't come to Houston; even if he does, we'll have a massive glut at SF, unless we send out Battier and Budinger in the deal.

Frankly, I am not so excited about the off-season free agency. However I'm very excited by the prospect of Morey drafting his first lotto pick.

timvpimp
04-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Yup, though they're still working hard on redeeming the errors their predecessors made, of which the most terrible one has to be the signing of a shit with their invaluable No.1 draft pick of 02.

djohn2oo8
04-09-2010, 10:52 AM

Boozer is barely an update for Scola. A'mare and Bosh are only minor upgrades, probably not worth the larger contract and assets we need to send in order to acquire one of them.

We don't think we need that extra 2.5 apg from JJ; where the fuck will Martin go if we target JJ? Martin scores just as well, if not better.

LeBron won't come to Houston; even if he does, we'll have a massive glut at SF, unless we send out Battier and Budinger in the deal.

Frankly, I am not so excited about the off-season free agency. However I'm very excited by the prospect of Morey drafting his first lotto pick.

:lmao Scola is good, but not a superstar you moron!! Those two would be immediate upgrades. Morey plans on getting Bosh without giving up Scola, watch it happen! LeBron's not going anywhere, so don't even suggest a hypothetical. Morey will find an all star through sign and trsade

Mel_13
04-09-2010, 11:06 AM

One would hope that he makes better use of the lotto pick than he did with his last two first rounders.

cheguevara
04-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Houston has the pieces they just need the centerpiece. Maybe we can trade them Bogans

Ginobilly
04-09-2010, 11:09 AM
:lmao Scola is good, but not a superstar you moron!! Those two would be immediate upgrades. Morey plans on getting Bosh without giving up Scola, watch it happen! LeBron's not going anywhere, so don't even suggest a hypothetical. Morey will find an all star through sign and trsade

Wake me up when Amare or Bosh learn to play defense and play team ball(Amare). Bosh, a Superstar bigman, really? Has he done anything meaningful in the weak east?

The Franchise
04-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Solomon Alabi sons.

noob cake
04-09-2010, 11:22 AM
One would hope that he makes better use of the lotto pick than he did with his last two first rounders.

I know you are trying to be sarcastic, but I kinda forgot our last two first rounders: Brooks and Batum (Traded away for Dorsey and Dante Greene -> Artest -> Ariza)

Mel_13
04-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I know you are trying to be sarcastic, but I kinda forgot our last two first rounders: Brooks and Batum (Traded away for Dorsey and Dante Greene -> Artest -> Ariza)

Not trying to be sarcastic at all. I was talking about the last two first rounders, the ones in 2008 and 2009.

If Houston had kept Batum, they would have him right now on a rookie contract instead of one year of Artest and now Ariza for the full MLE.

Are you seriously saying you would rather have Ariza for the full MLE than Batum on a rookie contract? Really?

Plus, Houston sent their 2009 first round pick along with Greene to obtain Artest. That pick was used to select Omri Casspi. Among the other players still on the board with that pick were Beaubois, Taj Gibson, and Dejuan Blair.

So let's recap. Houston could have had Batum and, let's say, Beaubois. Both on cheap rookie contracts. Instead, they got one year of Artest and Ariza for the full MLE.

Morey's done some good things for the Rockets. Maximizing his 2008 and 2009 first round picks are not among them.

The Franchise
04-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Not trying to be sarcastic at all. I was talking about the last two first rounders, the ones in 2008 and 2009.

If Houston had kept Batum, they would have him right now on a rookie contract instead of one year of Artest and now Ariza for the full MLE.

Are you seriously saying you would rather have Ariza for the full MLE than Batum on a rookie contract? Really?

Plus, Houston sent their 2009 first round pick along with Greene to obtain Artest. That pick was used to select Omri Casspi. Among the other players still on the board with that pick were Beaubois, Taj Gibson, and Dejuan Blair.

So let's recap. Houston could have had Batum and, let's say, Beaubois. Both on cheap rookie contracts. Instead, they got one year of Artest and Ariza for the full MLE.

Morey's done some good things for the Rockets. Maximizing his 2008 and 2009 first round picks are not among them.

I agree with everything you said, but to be fair the front office was in win now mode for Yaouch and Tracie at the time. Look at it from that perspective, and those decisions make sense. Personally, I would have rather held on to Batum even then, but sometimes as a GM you have to make certain choices to keep divas happy. Just thinking we could have Batum instead of Ariza right now, and for a lot less scratch makes me sad. :(

noob cake
04-09-2010, 11:53 AM

That second round playoff series was well worth it. Morey doesn't have vision problems. Batum and Donte Greene are both solid prospects.

Mel_13
04-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I agree with everything you said, but to be fair the front office was in win now mode for Yaouch and Tracie at the time. Look at it from that perspective, and those decisions make sense. Personally, I would have rather held on to Batum even then, but sometimes as a GM you have to make certain choices to keep divas happy. :(

All true. They had so much invested in two players that they were almost forced to mortgage some of the future to take a crack at success in the present.

I just think the slobbering over Morey, just like past lovefests for guys like Pritchard and Buford, are wildly overdone. It's just as easy to find evidence of stupidity as it is to find evidence of genius.

noob cake
04-09-2010, 12:06 PM
All true. They had so much invested in two players that they were almost forced to mortgage some of the future to take a crack at success in the present.

I just think the slobbering over Morey, just like past lovefests for guys like Pritchard and Buford, are wildly overdone. It's just as easy to find evidence of stupidity as it is to find evidence of genius.

Stupidity? Tell me about some of his fuck ups?

Joey Dorsey bust?
Artest trade was not bad

Mel_13
04-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Stupidity? Tell me about some of his fuck ups?

Joey Dorsey bust?
Artest trade was not bad

:lol

I've said my piece. If you want to believe that Morey is some sort of genius, that's fine. I'm not convinced.

djohn2oo8
04-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I've said my piece. If you want to believe that Morey is some sort of genius, that's fine. I'm not convinced.

You'd understand if you had Carroll Dawson as a previous GM. And size is needed next to Yao. Bosh would fit well

Kai
04-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Did you know Houston only has 2 players that they actually drafted? Yao and Brooks. Everyone else was traded for or sign through free agency. Sort of an unorthodox way to build.

Mel_13
04-09-2010, 01:17 PM
You'd understand if you had Carroll Dawson as a previous GM. And size is needed next to Yao. Bosh would fit well

Well if you put it that way. By comparison to Dawson, there are many genius-level GMs in the NBA today.

Kai
04-09-2010, 01:21 PM

The Artest deal was a good deal at the time. We were in win-now mode and acted accordingly.

Draft night came and we wanted Donte Greene. Greene and Batum fell to us and we knew both Portland and San Antonio wanted Batum, so we took him. at that point, we traded Batum to Portland for their pick and a second. We then were picking again with Darrell Arthur and Donte Greene on the board, with Memphis right behind us. We picked Darrell Arthur knowing Memphis wanted him. So we dealt with memphis to get Donte Greene and another pick. So by moving down five spots, we got the guy we wanted to begin with and gain 2 extra picks. We parlayed that package into Artest, without trading any rotation players from our previous year (the 22 game win streak team). Any GM would have done that deal. There was talk of an Odom for Artest swap at the time. It was a good deal. Like usual though, Houston got the Injury bug and got fucked, but that wasn't Morey's fault.

I think Morey is the smartest GM in the league, and I'm very happy he's on the Rockets payroll.

Mark in Austin
04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I think Morey is the smartest GM in the league, and I'm very happy he's on the Rockets payroll.

Kevin Pritchard just sent a bomb to your house. :lol

djohn2oo8
04-09-2010, 05:08 PM

Pritchard should be considered NOWHERE near the smartest GM of the league

Tmac&Luther
04-09-2010, 06:09 PM

:lol Are you talking about the guy who passed up Kevin Durant?

DAF86
04-09-2010, 06:18 PM

Morey makes his moves based on PER, that's why he has made such a great job. With his numbers he gets to see things in players that others GM don't see.

Lars
04-09-2010, 06:34 PM
I dont think they would include Martin in any sign and trade. Bosh and Iggy, opening day starters BOOK IT.

djohn2oo8
04-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I dont think they would include Martin in any sign and trade. Bosh and Iggy, opening day starters BOOK IT.

Bosh maybe, but Iggy No!

Booharv
04-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Morey makes his moves based on PER, that's why he has made such a great job. With his numbers he gets to see things in players that others GM don't see.

Morey has nothing to do with PER at all. Listen to his podcasts with Bill Simmons where he rags on those particular type of advanced statistical formulas. He has some other proprietary advanced systems but none that reduce a players total contributions to a single number.

Mark in Austin
04-16-2010, 02:34 PM
:lol Are you talking about the guy who passed up Kevin Durant?

Well, just about every GM would have made the same choice so I really can't fault him on that one; however my point was that Kevin Pritchard comes across as regarding himself as the smartest GM in the league. I don't think he is.

djohn2oo8
04-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Pritchard just got lucky that Hedo backed out of that deal