PDA

View Full Version : BANG! >>>>>>>> Jay Howard is back!

mouse
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Just saw the news on facebook!

Jay Howard returns next season! :toast

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Jenny1/JJ.jpg

Blackjack
04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Returns to what, exactly?

1250 or is Schoening out the door?

Duncan
04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I saw that also! I wonder if he will be a little rusty after all these years?

I am Tom
04-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Returns to what, exactly?

1250 or is Schoening out the door?

I heard Bill wants to take a break so he can work for UTSA football next season.

Re-Animator
04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Actual link?

Dude the page has been removed I wonder who or why it's gone?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jay-Howard/175064398761

Ricardo Romo
04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
That is not Jay Howard's link!

http://www.facebook.com/people/Jay-Howard/565482074

Blackjack
04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Wow ... looks like Jay's had some work done. :lol

Ricardo Romo
04-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow ... looks like Jay's had some work done. :lol

:lmao

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Jenny1/bang-jay.jpg

Blackjack
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
:lmao

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Jenny1/bang-jay.jpg

Who needs WMD when they discovered MSS; that's all the justification I need . . .

mouse
04-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Word at the station is it was not supposed to leak out yet. If you need any updates I will be live on the radio around 3pm today 1250 AM ESPN the Zone.

http://www.1250zone.com/

Nathan Explosion
04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Word at the station is it was not supposed to leak out yet. If you need any updates I will be live on the radio around 3pm today 1250 AM ESPN the Zone.

http://www.1250zone.com/

Why would he announce on 1250 that he's returning to the rival station 760 by way of 1200?

ohmwrecker
04-09-2010, 01:34 PM
The Bearded Frog is back, baby!
Seriously, is this real? Why in the hell would Schoening leave a job calling games for a PROFESSIONAL basketball team to "concentrate" on UTSA football?!

ohmwrecker
04-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I heard Bill wants to take a break so he can work for UTSA football next season.

I am starting to realize that this comment may have been intended as a joke . . . pretty droll for a Mavs fan. I didn't know they had sarcasm in Dallas now.

mouse
04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Why would he announce on 1250 that he's returning to the rival station 760 by way of 1200?

You may want to call in or facebook the show. in fact they do a live web-stream so you can see them live as you interact.

I don't have all the details maybe the news is big, maybe ESPN will now do Spurs games, don't forget Jay Howard already had a live radio show on ESPN the Zone. Dom Harris (WOAI) David Chanclore (WOAI) are daily guest's on the show.

I think finally all that WOAI vs us crap is gone like Mc Hammer.
face it San Antonio it's a whole new world now.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/ST-sheep-1.jpg

EricB
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
When is this jay Howard show I've never heard it....

lurker23
04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Based on the chatter I've heard from various sources, I'd be very surprised if this has anything to do with the Spurs.

Probably just Howard doing a show of some sort.

baseline bum
04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
God, I wish WOAI would axe Shoening and bring Jay back. Schoening fucking blows.

mouse
04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
When is this jay Howard show I've never heard it....

It was on a whole Spurs season last year I thought you had tuned in.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2097/239/8/537301346/n537301346_1872132_1247.jpg

spurs_2108
04-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I was expecting more. Chris and Jason aren't buying the news either.

callo1
04-09-2010, 03:28 PM
JH had a good radio voice, but was about as arrogant of a person you could ever meet.

I hope Bill stays, I'll take his announcing over Jay's any day of the week.

Duncan
04-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I thought mouse was funny and entertaining, then again I get laid on a regularly basis! :)

Re-Animator
04-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Why is it the haters who whine and bitch about radio shows are the ones that never call in? How can you complain about what you eat at home if you never get off your dead ass and stock the shelves? To have great experiences in life sometimes you may have to get involved.

The Zone rocks! :toast

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs234.snc1/8125_147221071346_537301346_3260718_3401079_n.jpg

spurs_2108
04-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I stopped listening after Mouse hung up. Did they talk about it much more? Or Spurstalk?

Jason talked about Spurstalk a little bit and read this thread. He quoted about the first 5 posts in this thread and they both laughed at the picture mouse has up.

callo1
04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
The Zone Sucks!! :td:td

Anything BSPN related is trash.

NZ Spurs
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Jay Howard is legend. Just ask any international Spurs fan who was around before the proliferation of illegally streamed games.

tmtcsc
04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Clearly you're deaf. I listen to a lot of broadcasters and Schoening is one of, if not the best on radio play by play. I understand Jay had a big following in SA, but he was just alright on play by play. If there is anyone I prefer on radio play by play over Schoeing it is Kevin Harlen.

Also Jon Miller is damn good on baseball. I could listen to him call 30 innings a day.

Wow. I have to disagree with you on that one. Jay Howard was OUTSTANDING as a play-by-play guy. He won several awards for it and did a great job. He had some personality issues that caused him to lose his job.

Pop was not thrilled at the decision to let him go and made it very well known. Few people got access to Pop like Jay did. I've heard Bill is a nice guy but you won't find him talking to Pop much. He's not really welcomed into his office. -- And that isn't personal either. He just doesn't like his questions and thinks he's a waste of time as a professional.

And no, I'm not Jay or related to him. :)

baseline bum
04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Jay Howard's a prick who could never be wrong on his old Sportstalk WOAI show, but he's one of the best I have ever heard at being able to paint a picture of exactly what is going on to the listener when the listener cannot see the game. Schoening's one of the best I have ever heard at being a dork and putting the listener to sleep.

lurker23
04-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Clearly you're deaf. I listen to a lot of broadcasters and Schoening is one of, if not the best on radio play by play. I understand Jay had a big following in SA, but he was just alright on play by play. If there is anyone I prefer on radio play by play over Schoeing it is Kevin Harlen.

Also Jon Miller is damn good on baseball. I could listen to him call 30 innings a day.

Wow. I have to disagree with you on that one. Jay Howard was OUTSTANDING as a play-by-play guy. He won several awards for it and did a great job. He had some personality issues that caused him to lose his job.

Jay and Bill have fairly different styles, which leads to a lot of divergent opinions on this board and elsewhere. I feel that Jay was more animated, whereas Bill focuses more on describing the game. Both have significant pluses. I'd agree that Jay Howard's personality was the major issue that lead to a parting of ways.

Few people got access to Pop like Jay did. I've heard Bill is a nice guy but you won't find him talking to Pop much. He's not really welcomed into his office. -- And that isn't personal either. He just doesn't like his questions and thinks he's a waste of time as a professional.

This is a part I really have to disagree with. Bill and Pop seem to have a good relationship and talk quite frequently. As you said, the access/interviews may not be quite the same that Jay had, particularly on air, but that has a lot more to do with decisions that were made on various levels than to do with any personal relationship. Pop simply doesn't like to do interviews in most cases, which is the main reason the pre/post game interviews with Pop were canned. Obviously I can't read Pop's mind to tell you one way or another how he feels about people, but I've neither seen nor heard any signs to indicate that your last sentence is true.

tmtcsc
04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Jay and Bill have fairly different styles, which leads to a lot of divergent opinions on this board and elsewhere. I feel that Jay was more animated, whereas Bill focuses more on describing the game. Both have significant pluses. I'd agree that Jay Howard's personality was the major issue that lead to a parting of ways.

This is a part I really have to disagree with. Bill and Pop seem to have a good relationship and talk quite frequently. As you said, the access/interviews may not be quite the same that Jay had, particularly on air, but that has a lot more to do with decisions that were made on various levels than to do with any personal relationship. Pop simply doesn't like to do interviews in most cases, which is the main reason the pre/post game interviews with Pop were canned. Obviously I can't read Pop's mind to tell you one way or another how he feels about people, but I've neither seen nor heard any signs to indicate that your last sentence is true.

I don't have any super secret clearance with anyone but I do know someone very close to the situation that quoted Pop's feelings about the quality of questions that Bill asked.

Specifically, their was a pre-game interview with Coach Pop that went sour. The impression was that Bill was not prepared and asked the same question 2 or 3 different times or just didn't listen to Pop's answers. The interviews were canned after that.

It's not hard to get on Pop's bad side and he obviously has issues with folks in the press but he a great relationship and probably still does with Jay Howard.

tmtcsc
04-09-2010, 05:14 PM
So, what is the real answer with Jay Howard ?

Is he going to be the play by play guy again or is he going to host a show or be a guest host on 1250 like he did last year ?

lurker23
04-09-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't have any super secret clearance with anyone but I do know someone very close to the situation that quoted Pop's feelings about the quality of questions that Bill asked.

Specifically, their was a pre-game interview with Coach Pop that went sour. The impression was that Bill was not prepared and asked the same question 2 or 3 different times or just didn't listen to Pop's answers. The interviews were canned after that.

It's not hard to get on Pop's bad side and he obviously has issues with folks in the press but he a great relationship and probably still does with Jay Howard.

Well, you know more than I do about that particular incident, and I don't doubt the relationship between Pop and Jay. As far as the relationship between Bill and Pop, all I can really go on is what I've heard from others and observed, but if what you passed on is true, then it seems a lot has changed in 8+ years.

Leftyventricle
04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
HZRmWrudQc0

someone should start a whole thread dedicated to pop interviews.