PDA

View Full Version : John Hollinger on Tiago in Chat

jiggy_55
04-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Gerardo (AZ)

John, I need numbers: What are the chances Tiago plays for the Spurs next season?

John Hollinger (1:29 PM)

I'll say 85%. I think it's pretty darn likely he comes over now that Spurs aren't bound by rookie scale.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/31711

Shastafarian
04-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Tim (OK): Was the no-call on Fish last night really that different from the no-call on Durant?

John Hollinger: Exactly the same, except that Durant got fouled.

:lol pwned

Supergirl
04-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Man with Tiago we could have the best frontcourt in the NBA - Duncan, Blair, and Splitter. Bonner for spreading the defense when we have to go smaller. If Mahinmi ever blossoms and/or Dice has a year or two more left in him, that would be ridiculous amount of depth at PF/C position.

rjv
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
all i know is that RC has been on record stating that this is the summer we will go after bringing splitter over here.

Bender
04-09-2010, 12:57 PM
"John, I need numbers..."
that is what you call music to John's ears.

JR3
04-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Love it. everyone is going to be spending big dollars to try to get the stars, while we have a deal on the side that could push us over the top.

Ocotillo
04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Man with Tiago we could have the best frontcourt in the NBA - Duncan, Blair, and Splitter. Bonner for spreading the defense when we have to go smaller. If Mahinmi ever blossoms and/or Dice has a year or two more left in him, that would be ridiculous amount of depth at PF/C position.

Hopefully Splitter evolves into an NBA starter. I am a Mahinmi lover but even I admit it is extremely unlikely he is back next year. Friggin' Cuban will probably sign him and he makes Scola look Jack Haley.

Shastafarian
04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Pete (San Antonio): I love Ginobili but the $$$ on his contract are absurd. He'll be playing 1/2 seasons for 3 more years. At what point will the Spurs stop hanging on to yesterday and start anew?

John Hollinger: I don't think it's that bad a deal. Spurs weren't going to be under cap next year, so if Ginobili walked they were basically an empty shell. This will cost them some tax $$, especially if they want Splitter too, but they're still going to be well under cap for new CBA in 2011 and Manu and Hill are only players under contract in 2012. Even if Manu falls apart physically, the contract won't be a killer cap-wise.

I see ducks has gotten better at english.

Mel_13
04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Pete (San Antonio): I love Ginobili but the $$$ on his contract are absurd. He'll be playing 1/2 seasons for 3 more years. At what point will the Spurs stop hanging on to yesterday and start anew?

John Hollinger: I don't think it's that bad a deal. Spurs weren't going to be under cap next year, so if Ginobili walked they were basically an empty shell. This will cost them some tax $$, especially if they want Splitter too, but they're still going to be well under cap for new CBA in 2011 and Manu and Hill are only players under contract in 2012. Even if Manu falls apart physically, the contract won't be a killer cap-wise.

I see ducks has gotten better at english.

:lol

EricB
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Rc Buford stated this morning that this contract has no bearing on whether splitter comes and that they remain confident that he's coming.

BadOne
04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I hope to see Tiago Splitter in a Spurs uniform next season, but I wonder if he actually would have as big of an impact as we are all hoping for. I've heard people compare him to an Anderson Varejao type player. Andy is a decent role player for LBJ @ co. but he's not a game changer that would put a team over the top. IMO, unless Tiago is significantly better than A.V. I think he definitely helps the front court, but everything still begins and ends with Tim. Hopefully Tiago comes over and like Blair & Hill, surprises everyone.
:flag:

anjlbitz
04-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Splitter is most definitely a game changer. How many times have the Spurs lost a game because of the lack of defense in the paint? He's not a Marcus Camby type shotblocker, but he can alter some shots. I still haven't forgotten that nasty block against A'm'a'r'e' in the FIBA championships 3 years ago. He's also athletic enough to run the floor.

I just hope his hook shot has improved. From what I remember he's got a hook shot as ugly as Bonner's.

dbestpro
04-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Hopefully Splitter evolves into an NBA starter. I am a Mahinmi lover but even I admit it is extremely unlikely he is back next year. Friggin' Cuban will probably sign him and he makes Scola look Jack Haley.

Splitter will be a starter. That is the easy part. Will he be an elite starter? That is the question.

NFGIII
04-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Splitter is most definitely a game changer. How many times have the Spurs lost a game because of the lack of defense in the paint? He's not a Marcus Camby type shotblocker, but he can alter some shots. I still haven't forgotten that nasty block against A'm'a'r'e' in the FIBA championships 3 years ago. He's also athletic enough to run the floor.

I just hope his hook shot has improved. From what I remember he's got a hook shot as ugly as Bonner's.

Agreed.

Just Splitter's size and defensive assignment makes him a game changer. The Spurs haven't been able to play the type of D they were famous for since the '06 season, even though they won it all in '07. If he just plays D and rebounds then the second chance points that the Spurs give up regularly decrease significantly. When you can decrease the opponent's possessions then the chances of winning go up considerably. Also TD then gets to play more PF and takes less of a beating in the paint. That in itself brings much value to the table.

mogrovejo
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I've heard people compare him to an Anderson Varejao type player. Andy is a decent role player for LBJ @ co. but he's not a game changer that would put a team over the top.

2nd best player in the Cavs. Without him, they aren't contenders.

kaji157
04-09-2010, 02:52 PM

He is mainly a pick n roll player in offense. Doesn´t have a very strong post game, still a good defender.

vander
04-09-2010, 03:14 PM
wow, we really really really need to unload Dyess

can't have your 5th, maybe 6th big man making 5 mil

1 TD
2 Bonner
3 Blair
4 Splitter
5 Mahimni
6 Dyess

Mel_13
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM

1 TD
2 Bonner
3 Blair
4 Splitter
5 Mahimni
6 Dyess

Ian's not coming back. If Dice can't be moved, then Bonner won't be back either. They'll sign a cheaper version for the minimum like Steve Novak.

Mal
04-09-2010, 03:30 PM

1 TD
2 Bonner
3 Blair
4 Splitter
5 Mahimni
6 Dyess

Idk where you find Mahimni over Dice any time.

Beside Ian other 5 big men + possible 1st round Big or Big Vet make a lot of sense. With so much size, Pop can`t use smallball at all.

nkdlunch
04-09-2010, 03:31 PM

1 TD
2 Bonner
3 Blair
4 Splitter
5 Mahimni
6 Dyess

the way Dyess is starting to play, I don't see why Spurs would let him go.

vander
04-09-2010, 03:38 PM
the way Dyess is starting to play, I don't see why Spurs would let him go.

I'd much rather see the Spurs keep Bonner and Mahinmi than Dyess, he's old and unreliable.

Big P
04-09-2010, 03:54 PM

1 TD
2 Bonner
3 Blair
4 Splitter
5 Mahimni
6 Dyess

Bonner is NOT your 2nd big man.

nkdlunch
04-09-2010, 04:07 PM
I'd much rather see the Spurs keep Bonner and Mahinmi than Dyess, he's old and unreliable.

Bonner and Ian are shit compared to McDyess of the last 10 games. He's been a rebouding animal, our best 1-1 bigman defender and hitting that midrange automatic.

BadOne
04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't think Mahinmi returns next season. I almost hope he doesn't. I'd say he's a bust but not solely because of his raw play and foul proneness, but also because of the coaching staff's inability to develop him into a consistant post player. I feel bad for the kid sometime. Also doesn't help that he's getting paid for nothing but riding the pine. I agree that Bonner likewise will not be back if McDyess is not moved. I think that Pop would prefer to keep McDyess, but if the FO sees the chance to save some cash by moving him, they just might do that. I like Blair, but perhaps the Spurs should also try to make a run @ free agents Camby or Haywood during the offseason to bolster their front court with seasoned vets who can play D as they have in the past.

Bruno
04-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Duncan, Splitter, Blair and McDyess is a damn solid bigmen rotation.

To complete them, Spurs will go with cheap options. It's even more true that they will be over the tax. Bonner at $3M will cost $6M to the ownership. That's a lot of money for an end of the bench player. IMO, Bonner won't be a Spur next year. I don't have a clue if Spurs want or not to keep Ian given all the strange things that have happened around him.

So the options to fill the roster are: Spurs 1st round pick or maybe Mahinmi or some cheap FA.

vander
04-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Bonner and Ian are shit compared to McDyess of the last 10 games. He's been a rebouding animal, our best 1-1 bigman defender and hitting that midrange automatic.

I'd argue the truthfulness of that to begin with, but more important is the duration, he's only done it for a short time, and that time will be even shorter next year.

Bonner's 3 will be 40% again next year, his D will be solid and better than Dyess's next year. and Mahimni still has all that supposed potential, he's at least a promising athletic defender.

Mel_13
04-09-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't see how a rational person can call Dice unreliable in comparison to Bonner. Bonner's chances of being a Spur next year are directly related to how much he can improve on these dismal numbers:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bonnema01/gamelog/2009/#stats_playoffs

SenorSpur
04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Like others, I'm on board with a frontcourt rotation of Duncan, Blair, Splitter, Dice and yes Mahinmi. Like most players, as long as Bonner is in the NBA, his price tag goes up. He's finally found a way to generate some offense on the move, but he's still too much of a liability that I wouldn't be hurt if he doesn't come back.

As for Ian, I don't get how anyone can call the guy a bust, when he hasn't gotten enough court time to earn any kind of label. He has, however, shown flashes of good skill. Skills that no other frontcourt player has. With his ability to rebound, block shots, run the floor, and generate some points around the basket, there's no reason he cannot be a rotation player next year. I think the Spurs would be big fools to allow him to go elsewhere and flourish. If they can can sign him to a cheap contract for next year, with an option for a second year, they should. If he doesn't pan out, then he's a tradeable asset.

Old School 44
04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
If Tiago is on the team next year and starts along side Duncan, it will improve Duncan's game by taking a lot of the pressure off him. For the past couple years, Duncan really hasn't had any defensive post help. KT and Fabs were smart players, but one is at the tail end of his career and both weren't the most athletic. This year, McDyess is KT 2.0. Also, both him and Blair and Bonner are undersized in the post. And that other tall guy is nailed to the bench.

In recent years, Pop has tried to conserve Duncan by limiting his minutes and sitting him in back-to-backs. I always thought a better solution was to get him some young, athletic, defensive help - pair him with a young athletic big so when Tim did play, he didn't have to expend so much energy trying to do it all.

TD 21
04-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I hope to see Tiago Splitter in a Spurs uniform next season, but I wonder if he actually would have as big of an impact as we are all hoping for. I've heard people compare him to an Anderson Varejao type player. Andy is a decent role player for LBJ @ co. but he's not a game changer that would put a team over the top. IMO, unless Tiago is significantly better than A.V. I think he definitely helps the front court, but everything still begins and ends with Tim. Hopefully Tiago comes over and like Blair & Hill, surprises everyone.
:flag:

Actually, Varejao is enough to put a team over the top, but only if that team is relatively close to begin with and is sorely lacking that type of big man. Splitter is longer and more skilled than Varejao, but he's not the type of rebounder that Varejao is, nor is he as physical or as much of an all out hustle player (few are), from what I've seen/know.

That's the thing about Splitter, the Spurs wouldn't be quite as reliant on Duncan defensively as they have been/are. Offensively, they've already lessened the load on him, as well as on the boards. If they could just get another long rim protector, that would really ease the burden on him.

I still maintain that while ideal, I doubt that we see a Duncan, McDyess, Splitter, Blair front court. But if we do see it and Splitter lives up to expectations, then this team (health permitting) is a title contender. They've already got the best back court in the league, this would give them one of the best front courts. The only rotation spot/role that could still use an upgrade would be wing defender, but if the Spurs are that strong everywhere else, they may be able to get by with Bogans/Hill/Hairston filling that role. No team is perfect.

I doubt Bonner isn't re-signed. The Spurs are obsessed with having a stretch four in the rotation, plus he'll be cheaper than McDyess.