PDA

View Full Version : 6-Year-Old Commits Suicide, Medical Examiner Says

tlongII
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/6-year-old-oregon-girl-commits-suicide-medical-examiner-says/19428962

The death of a 6-year-old Oregon girl sent to her room after exchanging cross words with her mother has been classified as a suicide by a state medical examiner.

After her mother told her to go to her room, Samantha Kuberski, a first-grader in McMinnville, Ore., crawled into an unused crib, tied one end of a belt around her neck, the other on a bar of the crib, and hanged herself, according to reports.

The incident happened on Dec. 2, days shy of the girl's 7th birthday, making her the youngest person in Oregon history to have committed suicide.

But McMinnville police investigating Samantha's death are not convinced that the girl understood the consequences of her actions. They are challenging the classification of suicide. Samantha's death, they argue, was the result of an accident.

"The disagreement is a little more philosophical than it is material to the case," McMinnville police Capt. Dennis Marks told KGW News in Portland. "It's not that we disagree with the mechanics of what happened. It's the finding that a 6-year-old could form that kind of intent."

Dr. Clifford Nelson, Oregon's deputy medical examiner, made the suicide determination based on a variety of factors, including interviews with the grief-stricken family. And Dr. Karen Gunson, the chief medical examiner for the state, said that investigators learned that the girl's parents had warned all of their children of the dangers of playing with belts around their necks.

"Statements were made by the girl that indicated she was going to kill herself," Gunson told KGW News. "She had the means and she realized that if she put something around her neck that was dangerous and could cause death -- because her parents had told her that. My contention is that shows intent."

Samantha threatened to kill herself as she was sent to her room, according to her family.

Citing a respect for privacy for the family, Brad Berry, the district attorney in Yamhill County, has refused to release police records of Samantha's death to the press. He said that no criminal charges have been filed.

Mixability
04-09-2010, 03:25 PM
What the FUCK?!

Suicidal Jack
04-09-2010, 03:27 PM
good for her.

j/k - that's a pretty fucked up story

MiamiHeat
04-09-2010, 03:32 PM
she was smarter than me when I was 6

saved herself the trouble of living on earth

lefty
04-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Wow.......

Fuck :pctoss

MaNuMaNiAc
04-09-2010, 04:02 PM
My guess is she wanted to scare the living shit out of her parents by acting like she was going to commit suicide and accidentally ended up dying. Tragic accident IMO.

oh and... DAMN that was one intense 6 year old :(

mookie2001
04-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Ok selfishers

was this little girl being selfish?

Stringer_Bell
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM

/me pets MiamiHeat, it'll be okay champ!

This shit is FUCKED UP.

That is all.

jack sommerset
04-09-2010, 04:14 PM
That is freaken awful.

baseline bum
04-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Damn, Wade hasn't even left to New York yet.

sonic21
04-09-2010, 06:00 PM
All children are looking for at that age is attention... and this would have been an attempt for attention that went horribly wrong.

BlackSwordsMan
04-09-2010, 06:28 PM
oh well dumb bitch

xellos88330
04-09-2010, 06:45 PM
wow... the things that go through kids' head these days

TheMACHINE
04-09-2010, 07:02 PM
damn....at 6 yrs old, i wonder if i even knew the concept of "death".

LnGrrrR
04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
One less emo in the world...

BlackSwordsMan
04-09-2010, 07:52 PM
one less deviantart user

redzero
04-09-2010, 07:56 PM
She must have found out that she lived in Oregon.

marini martini
04-09-2010, 10:11 PM
wow, rolling her eyes wasn't good enough???????

mookie2001
04-09-2010, 10:14 PM
why isnt anyone calling her selfish?

mavs>spurs2
04-09-2010, 11:36 PM
why isnt anyone calling her selfish?

YUP AGREED its pretty stupid to call someone who commits suicide "selfish" the problem goes a lot deeper than that

z0sa
04-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Samantha threatened to kill herself as she was sent to her room, according to her family.

Pretty cut and dry. She threatened it, then she followed through. Sounds like suicide to me.

Problem is: why didn't the parents do something about it? Perhaps it's not the first time she said it.

The Reckoning
04-10-2010, 01:37 AM
what family specifically warns their kids about the dangers of playing with belts around their necks?

BlackSwordsMan
04-10-2010, 10:33 AM
what family specifically warns their kids about the dangers of playing with belts around their necks?

when a kid puts one around her neck saying shes gonna kill herself

TheProfessor
04-10-2010, 10:46 AM
At six years old, you can't even form the requisite intent for suicide. Like the article gets into, it's a philosophical distinction, but I doubt she had any concept of the finality of her actions. Just a child lashing out.

The Reckoning
04-10-2010, 02:52 PM
when a kid puts one around her neck saying shes gonna kill herself

or maybe vice-versa....

"now, never put a belt around your neck and tighten it verrrry tight because then we'll be really upset about it."

what you don't know won't kill you, apparently

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't believe this..

How exactly does a 6 year old even know the concept of such death, let alone inflicting the pain on yourself?..it sounds kind of ridiculous to me..

I'd lean towards somebody in the family killer her and staging this shit..

What the fuck is going on in Oregon?..

BlackSwordsMan
04-10-2010, 04:56 PM
white people get crazier and crazier every day

ShoogarBear
04-10-2010, 05:19 PM
What's really weird/ironic/freaky is that it happened in Oregon, the one state will legal medically-assisted suicide.

Not saying that's the reason, but I wonder if there's just more open discussion about suicide in the state, which might have been overheard at some point by a 6 year-old who obviously wouldn't comprehend all of the implications.

Drachen
04-12-2010, 04:44 PM

When you see your kids playing and it is dangerous, you generally warn them that such playing is dangerous. Kids do dangerous shit all the time.

Sisk
04-12-2010, 04:58 PM
/soft chuckle

guilty as well

but damn, that is fucked up

i'm also guessing she was trying to scare her parents and then accidentally killed herself

who knows though