PDA

View Full Version : It's Time NOT to Trade Tony Parker!!!

MarHill
04-09-2010, 05:29 PM
This thread is in response to the Thread of wanting to trade Tony Parker.

I don't get some Spurs fans.

Tony Parker, since 2001, has done everything the Spurs have asked him to.

He came here as a 19 year old and developed his game and has become an integral part of the Spurs franchise.

The Spurs have decided the Big 3 (Tony, Tim, and Manu) are the core of the team.

I know with great success sometimes people get bored and want to change a successful formula....because we want to see if the grass is greener down the street or around the corner.

However, if you cultivate and water your own grass it can stay green for a very long time.

Tony has had a injury-plague year. Which happens to most atheletes at some point in their careers. But, if he's a core piece to your team. You can keep him for as long as you can.

Also, I believe TP suffers from DJS. DJS is the Derek Jeter Syndrome. Meaning TP has three championships by 25 years old, he's married to a Hollywood Actress, and he's from France.....so he will never be beloved by the San Antonio fan base. Even though, he has conducted with class and respect and has never talked about wanting to leave the Spurs.

It looks like everything has come to easy for him and I must write some people resent that.

But this guy has taken everything from Pop and became a better player. Even the TP haters has to acknowledge that.

But, TP is not Chris Paul or Deron Williams or Steve Nash....so there will always be fans who lust for that type of PG no matter what TP does.

Even though his skill set works for this team.

Lastly, I know a lot of this talk has picked up more because of the improved play of George Hill. I like George and he has done a great job (before he got hurt) for fill in for Tony.

But he is a 2nd year player and there were some games I saw that Tony's ability were sorely needed.

And with all due the respect....if the Spurs have any chance to come out the West...TP is needed. George Hill is not there yet.

TP is a member of Big 3 and is an important piece to Spurs.

He stays!!

:flag:

tothrowed
04-09-2010, 05:42 PM
why the hell would we want to trade tony

spursrocks
04-09-2010, 06:22 PM
i think it is a good idea to trade tony parker while he still has value, tim duncan is old, we need a young big athletic next to tim. tony parker lover fans should accept that the big 3 cant win championship any longer. duncan will get older, slower next year and gino as well, parker will be 28-29.
trade parker while we can for a big or young athletic wing. hill can take over and hill is younger. he will be 24 next year.
gino can play the point, then hill shooting guard. or vice versa. this team proved that they can win without tony parker. if we can get a big man next to tim for parker like bynum or bosh.
pg- hill
sg- gino
sf- dick
pf- duncan
c- andrew bynum
or
pg- hill
sg- gino
sf- dick
pf- chris bosh
c- duncan
i think with this line up. we will win more championship for timmy.

tothrowed
04-09-2010, 06:23 PM
i think it is a good idea to trade tony parker while he still has value, tim duncan is old, we need a young big athletic next to tim. tony parker lover fans should accept that the big 3 cant win championship any longer. duncan will get older, slower next year and gino as well, parker will be 28-29.
trade parker while we can for a big or young athletic wing. hill can take over and hill is younger. he will be 24 next year.
gino can play the point, then hill shooting guard. or vice versa. this team proved that they can win without tony parker. if we can get a big man next to tim for parker like bynum or bosh.
pg- hill
sg- gino
sf- dick
pf- duncan
c- andrew bynum
or
pg- hill
sg- gino
sf- dick
pf- chris bosh
c- duncan

if we could land bosh for tp than yes trade him do u think we can land bosh

The Truth #6
04-09-2010, 06:30 PM
why the hell would we want to trade tony

To improve the team would be the obvious answer.

It's too soon to have this conversation. How the playoffs develop will provide info as to what is best for the team.

If the FO has a deal that they think improves the team then it will be considered. I don't see how someone can be completely against or for the idea of a trade when no one knows what the trade would actually be.

Astute observers such as Bill Simmons suggested a trade back in the Summer so the idea isn't totally new.

Everyone is thankful for the Big 3 and their contributions but time moves forward and situations change. The Big 3 is not enough. RJ for the most part has not been the answer. If the FO doesn't consider all ways to improve the team then they aren't doing their job. It's a business in the end.

silverblk mystix
04-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Agree 100% with the OP...

everyone has opinions and , some, raise good points---after ---you take away the emotion--of the thing...maybe this trade will help---maybe that trade will be awesome for the spurs future---etc...

but c'mon...

give it a rest----

almost EVERY fricking team---and fan base ---if they were honest---would be more than happy to take TP off of our hands...

TP has been GREAT for this franchise---and if nothing else---

SHOW SOME FUCKING RESPECT---YOU MORONS!

(said with all due respect---in a sincerely humble manner...)

Waps1980
04-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Everyone needs to remember its all about business at the end of the day and money talks. Tony isn't the answer right now (in current shape & this whole season) if we are to keep him he needs to not play off season otherwise I say trade his ass, he's cost us this year by not being healthy, one assumes thats cos he didn't have a break off season.

In basketball you can't keep everyone around for ever you need to trade while you can and keep a consistent flow of young talent coming in. TP's only 28? so possibly still some worth if he can adjust his game slightly to suit the way the Spurs of now are playing. our 3 point game is dead nearly and that's what TP works best with. So the challenge is his (and he has the playoffs to prove he can) if he doesn't adjust I say he's gone.

Duncan2177
04-09-2010, 07:04 PM

It's too soon to have this conversation. How the playoffs develop will provide info as to what is best for the team.

If the FO has a deal that they think improves the team then it will be considered. I don't see how someone can be completely against or for the idea of a trade when no one knows what the trade would actually be.

Astute observers such as Bill Simmons suggested a trade back in the Summer so the idea isn't totally new.

Everyone is thankful for the Big 3 and their contributions but time moves forward and situations change. The Big 3 is not enough. RJ for the most part has not been the answer. If the FO doesn't consider all ways to improve the team then they aren't doing their job. It's a business in the end.
:tu

MarHill
04-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Everyone needs to remember its all about business at the end of the day and money talks. Tony isn't the answer right now (in current shape & this whole season) if we are to keep him he needs to not play off season otherwise I say trade his ass, he's cost us this year by not being healthy, one assumes thats cos he didn't have a break off season.

In basketball you can't keep everyone around for ever you need to trade while you can and keep a consistent flow of young talent coming in. TP's only 28? so possibly still some worth if he can adjust his game slightly to suit the way the Spurs of now are playing. our 3 point game is dead nearly and that's what TP works best with. So the challenge is his (and he has the playoffs to prove he can) if he doesn't adjust I say he's gone.

It's funny how everyone said it's a business. I know that!

However, the Spurs basically waited for Manu to see if he can get healthy since he wasn't for the past 2 seasons. Even though people on ST wanted him traded too.

Tony been hurt this season...so what? It happens to most athletes in the career.

Also, this has been his first year with serious injuries. He has earned a right to come back fully healthy next year.

Moreover, it's easy to write trade TP for Bosh or the next superstar. But that's not realistic because most teams don't just give away stars or superstars unless their desperate or wanting to dump salaries.

Again, TP has been great for this team. Last year, when Manu was out he helped Tim with scoring and carried the team some during the regular season.

I'm not getting rid of a top 5 PG just because the fans are tired of him and isn't a Steve Nash or CP3 or Deron Williams.

MarHill
04-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Sorry the team has been improved with him.

And he is the best PG on the Spurs whether you like him or not.

And having one injured year doesn't change that.

Also, I know the Big 3 isn't enough...but they are core of the team. Every good team has a core.

Lakers: Kobe, Gasol, & Odom
Cavs: Lebron, Mo Williams, Jamison
Magic: Howard, Lewis, & Nelson
Nuggets: Melo, Kenyon Martin, & Billups
Mavs: Dirk, Terry, and Marion

and so on....

the other pieces are the issue.....but without a core you don't have a chance of sniffing a championship.

The Big 3 can still play well together and TP is a big part of that.

:toast

MarHill
04-09-2010, 07:17 PM

Just because Bill Simmons writes something doesn't mean it make sense.

If Tony was declining or making unreasonable demands.....then I would consider a scenario of trading him.

That's not the case publicly and I think some Spurs fans have always lusted for another PG period.

scottspurs
04-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Keep Parker!!!!!

Here is the list I would trade him for but it's not happening:

1. Kevin Durant
2. Dwight Howard
3. Lebron James
4. Dwayne Wade
5. Cris Bosh
6. Chris Paul
7. Top 3 pick in this year's draft
8. Derek Rose
9. Joe Johnson
10. Al Horford
11. The Warriors/Clippers/Knicks first round picks for the next 10 years
12. Deron Williams
13. David Robinson to come out of retirement and play like he was in his prime.

these are the only 13 trades I would be happy with if the spurs are getting rid of Parker. People forget Parker was finals MVP just 3 years ago.

MarHill
04-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Keep Parker!!!!!

Here is the list I would trade him for but it's not happening:

1. Kevin Durant
2. Dwight Howard
3. Lebron James
4. Dwayne Wade
5. Cris Bosh
6. Chris Paul
7. Top 3 pick in this year's draft
8. Derek Rose
9. Joe Johnson
10. Al Horford
11. The Warriors/Clippers/Knicks first round picks for the next 10 years
12. Deron Williams
13. David Robinson to come out of retirement and play like he was in his prime.

these are the only 13 trades I would be happy with if the spurs are getting rid of Parker. People forget Parker was finals MVP just 3 years ago.

So true!

They also forgot last year when he took more of a scoring burden because Manu was out.

Unfortunately, TP will never get truly loved by a lot of Spurs fans for some unknown perception of him.

TP is an excellent player and is 1/3 of the Big 3.

scottspurs
04-09-2010, 07:31 PM
So true!

They also forgot last year when he took more of a scoring burden because Manu was out.

Unfortunately, TP will never get truly loved by a lot of Spurs fans for some unknown perception of him.

TP is an excellent player and is 1/3 of the Big 3.

Word. And I'm glad you started this thread because I was tired of looking at the trade parker thread because it's making me sick.

tlongII
04-09-2010, 07:39 PM
If you can trade Tony Parker for Dwight Howard I think you should do it! :tu

Waps1980
04-09-2010, 07:43 PM
It's funny how everyone said it's a business. I know that!

However, the Spurs basically waited for Manu to see if he can get healthy since he wasn't for the past 2 seasons. Even though people on ST wanted him traded too.

Tony been hurt this season...so what? It happens to most athletes in the career.

Also, this has been his first year with serious injuries. He has earned a right to come back fully healthy next year.

Moreover, it's easy to write trade TP for Bosh or the next superstar. But that's not realistic because most teams don't just give away stars or superstars unless their desperate or wanting to dump salaries.

Again, TP has been great for this team. Last year, when Manu was out he helped Tim with scoring and carried the team some during the regular season.

I'm not getting rid of a top 5 PG just because the fans are tired of him and isn't a Steve Nash or CP3 or Deron Williams.

Thats a fair call, but being a top 5 point guard means he should have the ability to adjust his game, and thats what the spurs need him to do.

Dark Matter
04-09-2010, 07:43 PM
pg- hill
sg- gino
sf- dick
pf- duncan
c- andrew bynum
or
pg- hill
sg- gino
sf- dick
pf- chris bosh
c- duncan

This. Yes its sucks, but life a bitch and then you die. the need for a big man is paramount at this point in time. The commitment by the FO and owner has been made. There is no turning back. Tim can go for three more yrs. if another bigman is added(Chris Bosh ideally). That bigman will replace Tim in the end. In the perfect world Chris Bosh stays with Toronto for now. Tony should be looking for a six yr. deal this time around. He should get it too. Just, not with the Spurs. We can let him go(option yr. thing) or trade for nothing short of a future Timmy D. replacement. 1st choice - Chris Bosh. 2nd choice - Amar'e Stoudemire . We need one of these guys. I really like Chris. The money thing is right compared to Tony. It's Business. Good business. George Hill is good to go at point. There is nothing wrong with Tony's game. The spurs haved tool up for a different kind of B. ball now. We all agree if Tim is to get us to the promise land once more before he goes an equally good Big man is required to help and to replace Tim in the end. Go SPURS GO!

InK
04-09-2010, 08:02 PM
:lol:lol at this thread. Ye ppl are offering us Bosh, Bynum, Lebron, Howard, Melo for Parker but we are thinking if its really worth it.... Some of you are really just plain old dumb.

silverblackfan
04-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Ridiculous idea to trade Tony at this point. One of the top PGs in the league and he knows and runs the complicated system just fine. In fact, if we only integrate Hairston and Splitter next year, this team is going to ROCK.
This year is an aberration in that we had so many new guys to integrate, especially key guys like RJ and Dice. Tony was injured, but is young and will be fine come the play offs.
The idea of trading Tony now is like the earlier season fans wanting to trade Manu. Hasty and not well thought out.
Do people envy Tony for what he has accomplished at so young an age? Maybe, but me, I admire him. He works hard and does all the right things. The only thing you can say about Tony is that he has taken advantage of every opportunity he could. For that, I just say, "Good Job".

spurs4real
04-09-2010, 08:25 PM
This. Yes its sucks, but life a bitch and then you die. the need for a big man is paramount at this point in time. The commitment by the FO and owner has been made. There is no turning back. Tim can go for three more yrs. if another bigman is added(Chris Bosh ideally). That bigman will replace Tim in the end. In the perfect world Chris Bosh stays with Toronto for now. Tony should be looking for a six yr. deal this time around. He should get it too. Just, not with the Spurs. We can let him go(option yr. thing) or trade for nothing short of a future Timmy D. replacement. 1st choice - Chris Bosh. 2nd choice - Amar'e Stoudemire . We need one of these guys. I really like Chris. The money thing is right compared to Tony. It's Business. Good business. George Hill is good to go at point. There is nothing wrong with Tony's game. The spurs haved tool up for a different kind of B. ball now. We all agree if Tim is to get us to the promise land once more before he goes an equally good Big man is required to help and to replace Tim in the end. Go SPURS GO!

I guess some people get the concept of Plan B and yet some still see Parker as Pops 19 year old puppet who like Hill started off great but now plays the role of Allen Iverson which we don't need. Trust me when he walks witho

UnWantedTheory
04-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I am most definately not a TP hater, but I do see that the team has changed without him this year...I also believe its mostly how pop has coached, & changed things around TP due to injuries and lack of play from other positions. Tony is not the problem, but what is around him certainly is. Tim isnt in his prime and the key players we got in the offseason have not been so key. Also the team has played well without TP & not so well when he is with us. So that being said, do you change the team or the player? I think that is what most people are saying....Now what I am saying is keep TP and find a way to get a solid wing and athletic big aloing with some better 3 point shooting and we should be in contention next year and after. Another year for Blair, Hill, RJ, MCD with the team should help alot. Also, another year for Gino being healthy helps as well. I dont want TP gone at all, but if we can land a great trade than I say you have to do it. The odds are against that, so I say dont worry and try to bring in the talent we need around are remaining players for next years squad. Did I make sense at all ? Meesa kinda drunky...

UnWantedTheory
04-09-2010, 10:26 PM
A total suck point for next year is we are one year older...so eh...

UnWantedTheory
04-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Very understandable...But is that ever going to happen? That is the epitome of NBA business. Basic & practical...but wont happen for our Spurs.

The Truth #6
04-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Sorry the team has been improved with him.

And he is the best PG on the Spurs whether you like him or not.

And having one injured year doesn't change that.

Also, I know the Big 3 isn't enough...but they are core of the team. Every good team has a core.

Lakers: Kobe, Gasol, & Odom
Cavs: Lebron, Mo Williams, Jamison
Magic: Howard, Lewis, & Nelson
Nuggets: Melo, Kenyon Martin, & Billups
Mavs: Dirk, Terry, and Marion

and so on....

the other pieces are the issue.....but without a core you don't have a chance of sniffing a championship.

The Big 3 can still play well together and TP is a big part of that.

So if the Spurs could improve the team by potentially trading Parker then you would be against it?

kaji157
04-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Right now TP canīt defend anyone, he is being outscored by anyone he faces. Same as Jefferson tonight.
I think Tony must stay, but these last games have shown that if this is the best he can play as of now, he should remain as a bench player until his injuries are healed. Hill runs this team much better with Manu than Parker with him. Not to say the defense that is light years.

scottspurs
04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
1. Trading Parker would be downright stupid. He knows how to run the offense better than anyone not named Coach Pop or TD.

2. Spurs would not get equal value.

3. George Hill is a better 2 than a 1.

4. Tony was finals MVP for the spurs just 3 years ago.

5. Tony Parker is still in his prime

6. There is something to the great spurs being lifetime spurs. It gives the organization more of a family feel which makes me most proud being a fan.

7. Trading Parker would create the same chemistry problems the spurs had to deal with this season. Let this team get to know each other better and next year will be a blast.

8. Tony has always had great character and has always played hard. Do you know if you will get that out of the guy you trade him for?

9. Eva Longoria

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Tony Parker, since 2001, has done everything the Spurs have asked him to.

You mean like sit out playing for Team France every summer? Yeah, great point!

I know with great success sometimes people get bored and want to change a successful formula....because we want to see if the grass is greener down the street or around the corner.
Tony has had a injury-plague year. Which happens to most atheletes at some point in their careers. But, if he's a core piece to your team. You can keep him for as long as you can.

This is the problem people have. People want to get rid of him because he is not committed to the Spurs. If he were, he wouldn't be running off making rap albums, or more relevantly to the Spurs organization would be him not going off to run his ass into the ground playing for Team France.

There is a direct correlation between his play for Team France and injury issues mounting with each year during the NBA season as a result of said play.

Some people like you are apparently uncomfortable with change. Those advocating a trade of Parker are largely doing so because it's apparent to anyone with any sort of forward thinking that as he ages, but continues to play ball all summer after long NBA seasons, he's going to be faced with mounting injuries.

Additionally, let's be honest about his game. He has shitty court vision. He often misses wide open players, either because he lacks the court vision to make the play or he is too much of a ball hog to pass the ball. I've lost count of the number of times he dribbles down the clock on the last possession of a quarter only to drive and either take a horrible shot that misses, take a horrible shot that gets stuffed out of bounds, or have the defender strip it off his leg out of bounds.

And frankly, we have seen what this team can do with Hill, Manu, and Jefferson as the three headed perimeter monster, and there is much more fluidity to our offense with that combination.

Hill's emergence this year coupled with Tony's love for running his body into the ground over the summer playing for Team France has made Tony expendable. You're getting 90% of what Parker can do out of Hill for 10% of the cost.

So yes, it's a business decision of sorts, particularly when you have other areas of need on this squad that can be addressed with a trade chip like Tony.

So, it makes sense to trade an asset when his value is at an all time high to get the most out of him for the Spurs franchise.

Muser
04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
If there is a good package on offer then he's tradeable, but it has to be a damn good package.

easy7
04-10-2010, 12:08 PM
If you can trade Tony Parker for Dwight Howard I think you should do it! :tu

Oden for Howard is a better trade.

Cry Havoc
04-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Wow Aggie, I never thought I'd see the day.

What a sad, stupid place Spurstalk is becoming.

jjktkk
04-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Wow Aggie, I never thought I'd see the day.

What a sad, stupid place Spurstalk is becoming.

Thats why I think Aggie would make a great GM. For the Clippers!

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Seriously? That's all the response you guys got? Either debate the facts, or log off and go back to playing with your Tony Parker blowup doll.

Just for fun, here's their stats this year too:

ppg rpg apg spg to/g FG% 3PT% FT% A/T
parker 16.1 2.4 5.7 0.51 2.6 0.49 0.281 0.762 2.192307692
hill 12.5 2.7 3 0.91 1.3 0.477 0.398 0.774 2.307692308

If you care about HOllinger's PER, or +/-, Hill wins both of those head to head as well (I don't put complete faith in those as I have a problem with some of their stats, particularly the PER).

Salaries next year:

Parker 13.5 million
Hill 1.5 million

Couple all that with the reality that Tony will be a free agent after next season and we have no guarantee he'll re-sign, and well.... kinda makes sense to do a little shopping this summer.

jjktkk
04-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Seriously? That's all the response you guys got? Either debate the facts, or log off and go back to playing with your Tony Parker blowup doll.

If you care about HOllinger's PER, or +/-, Hill wins both of those head to head as well (I don't put complete faith in those as I have a problem with some of their stats, particularly the PER).

Salaries next year:

Parker 13.5 million
Hill 1.5 million

Couple all that with the reality that Tony will be a free agent after next season and we have no guarantee he'll re-sign, and well.... kinda makes sense to do a little shopping this summer.

Typical knee jerk reaction fron you Aggie. You can throw all of your cute little stats out the window. Those stats don't take into account that Parker has been battling injuries all year.

Cry Havoc
04-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Salaries next year:

Parker 13.5 million
Hill 1.5 million

So Parker has been putting up better stats than Hill WHILE injured and probably playing at 60%, and you want to trade him?

Do you think we're gonna resign Hill for the league minimum or something?

timaios
04-10-2010, 01:59 PM
If Parker is a bad player, why other teams would want to trade a great player for him ?
I don't see the logic here.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Typical knee jerk reaction fron you Aggie. You can throw all of your cute little stats out the window. Those stats don't take into account that Parker has been battling injuries all year.

:lol

Typical Parker homer response. Again, the stats are in compliment to my earlier argument that until Tony commits to quitting the national team gig, he's going to continue to deal with injuries year round, and they will increase with frequency and severity as he ages.

Damn, he's fixing to turn 28 but with all the National Team shit he's probably about 32 in basketball years.

That's my point. He seems hellbent on playing for France every year. This has led to more and more injuries of late, and will continue to be the case. If he wants to continue to carry the French flag in summer ball, fine, let him be someone else's problem.

Honestly though, I think it boils down to this summer. Going into a contract year, what does he do?

If he takes the summer off, recognizing the wear and tear on his body, I'm all for keeping him. The moment he steps on a plane to go fly and play for France, time to start making calls, R.C.

So Parker has been putting up better stats than Hill WHILE injured and probably playing at 60%, and you want to trade him?

Do you think we're gonna resign Hill for the league minimum or something?

Did you even read the stats? The only statistically significant difference between the two is in PPG. Is 3.5 PPG worth an extra 10 million a year? If it is, I would hope you would have never offered one piece of criticism on this board of Jefferson this year.

Hill has a better assist to turnover ratio, is shooting better from the perimeter and line, rebounding better (a help considering we have 4 RPG Matt Bonner running around most nights), and he compliments Manu's game, which I think should carry some weight as we just extended the guy.

timaios
04-10-2010, 02:07 PM
You realize that Manu will play this summer with Argentina, right ?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2010, 02:38 PM
You realize that Manu will play this summer with Argentina, right ?

I'm sorry, what does that have to do with Tony Parker being hurt all the time and playing for France every summer?

timaios
04-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry, what does that have to do with Tony Parker being hurt all the time and playing for France every summer?

Parker is hurt only this year.
Manu plays, like Tony, every summer, and was hurt in the last 2 playoffs.

But you think it's ok if Manu plays with his NT and that Tony is an asshole if he's doing the same thing.

Do you get it now ?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't think it's okay that Manu plays. I have also seen him say he's pretty much done with national team stuff.

I'd rather this thread not turn into another pissing match as far as Manu vs. Tony. This thread is about Tony, and whether or not his value, national team commitment, injuries, and production on the court are something we can't live without or whether we can utilize an asset such as Tony to get us another quality big or stud 3/4.

timaios
04-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't think it's okay that Manu plays. I have also seen him say he's pretty much done with national team stuff.

I'd rather this thread not turn into another pissing match as far as Manu vs. Tony. This thread is about Tony, and whether or not his value, national team commitment, injuries, and production on the court are something we can't live without or whether we can utilize an asset such as Tony to get us another quality big or stud 3/4.

Again i think Manu is the better player and i am a big fan of him.
And i enjoy watching both play with their NT.
And Tony Parker will not play for France this year... so.

If Parker is so bad, you can't have some quality player in return.

jjktkk
04-10-2010, 06:43 PM

I can see why you don't want to turn this thread into a Manu vs. Tony pissing match, because it shows that you call out Tony for playing for his NT in the off-season, but not Manu. LOL Aggie, your pathetic. Why don't you just come out and admit you just don't like Tony? Your lame debate doesn't hide the fact you resent Tony.

itzsoweezee
04-10-2010, 07:03 PM
he's injured. i wish the people begging for a trade would get that through their heads. this is a lost season for him, but there's nothing at all to suggest he won't come back next year where he left off last year: a top five point guard.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I can see why you don't want to turn this thread into a Manu vs. Tony pissing match, because it shows that you call out Tony for playing for his NT in the off-season, but not Manu. LOL Aggie, your pathetic. Why don't you just come out and admit you just don't like Tony? Your lame debate doesn't hide the fact you resent Tony.

I've criticized Manu elsewhere when he made his NT commitment.

This is about whether the Spurs would be better off keeping Parker for the rest of the TD/Manu era, or turning the point over to Hill, trading Parker, and getting a great player in return.

Waps1980
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM

Salaries next year:

Parker 13.5 million
Hill 1.5 million

You could also go as far as to add the up in Manu's stats due to Parker being out. Hills stats might not be so much better than Parkers but every starter with the exception of TD have picked up double time.

MarHill
04-10-2010, 10:49 PM
You mean like sit out playing for Team France every summer? Yeah, great point!

This is the problem people have. People want to get rid of him because he is not committed to the Spurs. If he were, he wouldn't be running off making rap albums, or more relevantly to the Spurs organization would be him not going off to run his ass into the ground playing for Team France.

There is a direct correlation between his play for Team France and injury issues mounting with each year during the NBA season as a result of said play.

Some people like you are apparently uncomfortable with change. Those advocating a trade of Parker are largely doing so because it's apparent to anyone with any sort of forward thinking that as he ages, but continues to play ball all summer after long NBA seasons, he's going to be faced with mounting injuries.

Additionally, let's be honest about his game. He has shitty court vision. He often misses wide open players, either because he lacks the court vision to make the play or he is too much of a ball hog to pass the ball. I've lost count of the number of times he dribbles down the clock on the last possession of a quarter only to drive and either take a horrible shot that misses, take a horrible shot that gets stuffed out of bounds, or have the defender strip it off his leg out of bounds.

And frankly, we have seen what this team can do with Hill, Manu, and Jefferson as the three headed perimeter monster, and there is much more fluidity to our offense with that combination.

Hill's emergence this year coupled with Tony's love for running his body into the ground over the summer playing for Team France has made Tony expendable. You're getting 90% of what Parker can do out of Hill for 10% of the cost.

So yes, it's a business decision of sorts, particularly when you have other areas of need on this squad that can be addressed with a trade chip like Tony.

So, it makes sense to trade an asset when his value is at an all time high to get the most out of him for the Spurs franchise.

First of all thanks for your response.

Now let me address your post.

I don't have a problem with change. That's life.

However, change for the sake of change is just bad as those who want things to remain the same forever.

Also, just because did one rap album and playing for his country (when it's perfectly in the rules by the NBA) doesn't mean he isn't committed to the Spurs.

Unfortunately, there are folks like you that have the ugly American syndrome. TP has every right to play for his country considering he is probably the biggest athlete from France.

Also, having one injured year doesn't always translate to someone having an injury-filled career. Considering he has been a main cog in 3 championships and it's only 28....you are being premature about the rest of his career.

Plus, the Spurs have waited for 2 years to see if Manu can be healthy and that has happen. So the Spurs can't wait one year for TP to get healthy? Wow!!:wow

Yes it's a business decision...but there hasn't been any indication (outside of an internet rumor about a trade for CP3) that Spurs wants to trade TP.

Lastly, George Hill has emerged as a solid NBA player and has a bright future ahead of him. I like him a lot....but with this team is who trying to get one more championship in the Spurs golden era....TP is still the better option and it's the best PG on the team.

Lastly, you are wrong to say that TP has terrible court vision. I have sent him make plenty of excellent passes to teammates in the half-court or on the break. Yes, he will never be a Steve Nash or CP3 or Deron Williams. I know that some Spurs fans have always lusted for that type of PG and have never truly accepted that Spurs have used TP's strengths as an asset to better the team.

They have asked TP to be scoring point guard since they had a dominant big man and a great wing player. That formula has worked since 2003 when the Big 3 became fully established.

Again, there are some Spurs fans who have become bored with a successful formula and since the Spurs have finally face some adversity in the past couple of years.....they want to play fantasy GM and trade everybody but TD.

I don't think so!

TP should stay a Spur until has contract has finished.

Thanks for the debate.

ducks
04-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Salaries next year:

Parker 13.5 million
Hill 1.5 million

Couple all that with the reality that Tony will be a free agent after next season and we have no guarantee he'll re-sign, and well.... kinda makes sense to do a little shopping this summer.why not compare tp stats to hill last year
or manu first half stats to hills

ducks
04-10-2010, 10:55 PM

just like rj was suppose to be a stud to

getting another player does not make it will actually work
trading tp for another stud is a risk even if it looks great on paper

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2010, 01:28 AM
You could also go as far as to add the up in Manu's stats due to Parker being out. Hills stats might not be so much better than Parkers but every starter with the exception of TD have picked up double time.

Good point. Jefferson actually had a pulse with Tony out. So there's another bonus. RJ boosted his scoring a good 5 PPG playing with Hill and Manu, and I believe he also boosted his rebounding, FG%, 3pt %, and steals...

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2010, 01:32 AM
why not compare tp stats to hill last year
or manu first half stats to hills

Actually probably the fairest comparison would be Hill this year vs. Tony's second year. I am too drunk to mess with that tonight though.

However, change for the sake of change is just bad as those who want things to remain the same forever.

Also, just because did one rap album and playing for his country (when it's perfectly in the rules by the NBA) doesn't mean he isn't committed to the Spurs.

Unfortunately, there are folks like you that have the ugly American syndrome.

I'm not advocating change for the sake of change. Roll out Hill with Temple backing him up next year, trade Tony for a long SF or stud big, and let's win another title or three before Tim hangs them up.

The rap album was tongue in cheek, sorry you missed it.

Call me an ugly American all you want. If that's what Euros are going to call me for calling out Tony for playing for a shitty French team every year that will never win a gold in anything that matters internationally while getting run into the ground with two-a-day practices, fine, I'm an ugly American.

Bottom line is Spurs have invested heavily in Tony. With his continued summer adventures on behalf of Team France, I call into question his reciprocal commitment to the organization dropping $14 mil a year on his ass.

gilmor
04-11-2010, 01:50 AM
:lol

Typical Parker homer response. Again, the stats are in compliment to my earlier argument that until Tony commits to quitting the national team gig, he's going to continue to deal with injuries year round, and they will increase with frequency and severity as he ages.

Damn, he's fixing to turn 28 but with all the National Team shit he's probably about 32 in basketball years.

That's my point. He seems hellbent on playing for France every year. This has led to more and more injuries of late, and will continue to be the case. If he wants to continue to carry the French flag in summer ball, fine, let him be someone else's problem.

Honestly though, I think it boils down to this summer. Going into a contract year, what does he do?

If he takes the summer off, recognizing the wear and tear on his body, I'm all for keeping him. The moment he steps on a plane to go fly and play for France, time to start making calls, R.C.

Did you even read the stats? The only statistically significant difference between the two is in PPG. Is 3.5 PPG worth an extra 10 million a year? If it is, I would hope you would have never offered one piece of criticism on this board of Jefferson this year.

Hill has a better assist to turnover ratio, is shooting better from the perimeter and line, rebounding better (a help considering we have 4 RPG Matt Bonner running around most nights), and he compliments Manu's game, which I think should carry some weight as we just extended the guy.

Aggie,

Please do a stats comparison between Parker and Hill for last year playoffs, will ya?