PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Grizzlies Game)

duncan228
04-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Post Game Quotes (Grizzlies Game) (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/100409.html)

Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the game - “Our defense really let us down tonight – individual and team wise. That was the ball game.”

On the thought that the team lost urgency in the second quarter - “No. They played better than we did.”

Matt Bonner

On the game - “You have to credit the Grizzlies, they kept attacking and were really aggressive on offense especially in transition and put a lot of points up in a hurry.”

On tonight’s loss and how it hurts in the standings - “We take pride in every game. I am not even sure what the standings are – I am just trying to take it one game at a time and trying to win every one of them.”

On the defense breakdown tonight - “We were a little slow on rotations. They made a lot of runners and in between shots, in between the weak side and us getting there. Maybe if we could have gotten there a little quicker we could have taken those away.”

On his cold shooting in the fourth quarter - “Sometimes they go in and sometimes they don’t. They just didn’t go in – they were good looks. I shot with confidence but they just didn’t go in.”

On tomorrow night’s matchup vs. Denver - "I think historically we do well when we lose a game and have to come back and regroup the next night so hopefully we can do it again tomorrow. "

Manu Ginobili

On the game - "Losing the game tonight is very disappointing. It was a game that we were counting on to win especially with two remaining at home. We lost to a very good team but they had nothing to lose. Against teams like that you have to jump on them from the beginning and play harder than ever and then do your game. The second quarter we were really bad. They scored 37 points on us and they stuck in the game and happened to make great shots. We couldn’t get stops."

On if the team has stopped playing inconsistent - "I guess we’re not. We have to stay humble and work from the first minute to the 48th, knowing that we are not the Cavaliers who are a few games ahead of the rest. Every game is huge for us and today we took a break in the second quarter and then it was a game. They are talented, they started to make a ton of shots and we didn’t."

Grizzlies Head Coach Lionel Hollins

On the game - “It was one heck of a basketball game as my guys came out, competed, and stayed with it for 48 minutes. We came out in the second half and took a little lead as towards the end of the third quarter and the beginning of the fourth quarter, they (Spurs) came back. We kept our poise we keep getting shots and we didn‘t turn the ball over. We missed a few shots but we made more and we got back and defended really well. We held them to 42 points in the second half as that was huge. We slowed Ginobili down a little bit, and we kept Parker out of the lane better than we did earlier in the game. Tim Duncan didn‘t play a lot of minutes as it looked like they were going to rest him as much as they could, but second half when he did come in and try to bring the game back, we just held our poise.”

On bench scoring tonight - “DeMarre Carroll, Marcus Williams and Darrell Arthur did a super job tonight. Darrell made some big shots and he played some good defense. Bonner is a handful as we switched match-ups as Zach took Duncan and Darrell took Bonner, which slowed him down a little bit. ”

On playing with emotion tonight - “It was a mix of professional pride, character, and just wanting to achieve something. We played so well but then again our framework was different. Everyone was moving the ball as it became a point where it was ‘if you have the shot, take it, if not, pass it.’ People stepped up at different times as they made big plays as then there was no problem down the stretch as Zach made his free throws.”

On coming back from a 13-point deficit - “We changed our lineup as we went to a smaller one that could defend a little bit better. With Duncan on the bench and not playing, that allowed us to play that way as later, they even went smaller, which allowed us to play even a little smaller. We were able to get some things rolling and once we did that our confidence came. From there, the guys started competing, we started making plays, and the next thing you know we are up by one at halftime.”

O.J. Mayo

On the game -“It was a big game for us as we played together and wanted to dedicate this game to to the coaches and how hard the worked us this year and how they did a good job of turning our team around. The coaching staff is well deserved a winning season this year so we came out as if we had an opportunity to make it in the playoffs. We’ve been kind of down on ourselves the last three or four games because we see that we have no chance of making the playoffs, so that really deflated us. Tonight we came out and decided to go out there and get this winning season and just get ready for next year. We want to play hard for the coaches, the organization, and for each other.”

On their performance in the second quarter - “Defensively, we did a great job. I thought offensively we took our time as we pretty much, got what we wanted. We executed well as a team, which as a young team was something we struggled with this year. Tonight I thought we executed well down the stretch especially when we were down by thirteen.”

Mike Conley

On the game - “Tonight it was a game where we wanted to put up or shut up. They’re fighting for playoff position as we wanted to come out and be spoilers as I feel we just had the right mindset at the jump.”

On what they did well tonight - “I think tonight we were really patient. We didn’t get frantic like we usually do sometimes as we lowered our amount of turnovers down the stretch and we were able to get good quality shots. I though Darrell played well and hit some big shots for us as down the stretch we were able to execute very well.”

duncan228
04-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Spurs.com Grizzlies/Spurs Photo Gallery.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/100409_1.html

callo1
04-10-2010, 12:58 AM

On the game - “Our defense really let us down tonight – individual and team wise. That was the ball game.”

BS Pop, you let the team down tonight...you honestly think Ian should be in the game and Timmy watching from the bench in the 1st half?

This ranks up there with Pop's refusal to play Bruce in the playoffs last year, and his small ball line up against the Mavs in '06.

As intelligent as he is, Pop's stubborness is equal.

itzsoweezee
04-10-2010, 01:29 AM
giving bonner major minutes in crunch time = FAIL

pjjrfan
04-10-2010, 08:03 AM
The 2nd qtr. was a gimme. I can't believe reporters didn't call Pop out. this is like the 3rd or 4th game this season where Pop has basically made his team a no show. I'm not saying they would have won those games but a game here or there and especially this game and this team wouldn't be looking at the matchup Pop says he is running away from. It looks like he is running to it full steam ahead.

Flux451
04-10-2010, 10:00 AM
MANU
"The second quarter we were really bad. "
"we took a break in the second quarter and then it was a game. "

spursfaninla
04-10-2010, 11:27 AM

BS Pop, you let the team down tonight...you honestly think Ian should be in the game and Timmy watching from the bench in the 1st half?

This ranks up there with Pop's refusal to play Bruce in the playoffs last year, and his small ball line up against the Mavs in '06.

As intelligent as he is, Pop's stubborness is equal.

I do not believe that pop is faultless. I do think it was wiser to play full out first, get a good lead, and then try to rest your guys. Get the easy wins first.

But your examples of bad coaching are weak. Not playing bowen last playoffs was because Bowen was DONE. He did not play most of last year because HE WAS DONE. He was not picked up this year, as a 38 year old dude, because...well, you should get it now.

Playing smallball against the mavs. Well, people conveniently forget how the mavs were killing our centers in that game, because we had them guard dirk and he would just drive by them. Duncan would just foul out trying to guard him. So instead we tried to put a smaller guy in dirk who could stay in front of him, which resulted in dirk just shooting over people. But pop got burned by Dirk the first 2 games and tried something else. can't fault his trying at least.

Libri
04-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I can't believe reporters didn't call Pop out.

They don't want to lose their jobs.

diego
04-10-2010, 12:54 PM
bruce averaged 4.2 pts and and 3 rebounds in 26 min in the PO in 08-09; he also shot 54% from the floor and 56% from 3. he had .059 WS per 48, below his career playoff average but not by a lot.

the alternatives were mason, udoka and finley.
their numbers:

finley 8pts 3reb 28.6 min; .441 and .467 %; .035 WS per 48
mason 6.6 pts 1.6 reb 21.6 min.; .38 .37 %; -.006 WS per 48
udoka 3.4 pts 4.8 reb 20.8 min ; .35 .13 %; .019 WS per 48

as you can see bowen easily had the best percentages and the highest WS ( I posted the per 48 number cause its easier to compare, but the absolute number also favors bowen)

bowen, even though he was DONE, did more to help the team than the other guys pop played at his position. but hey, if he retired that must mean he was DONE, because udoka, mason and finley sure are flourishing this year.

--

as for the 06 mavs series,
playing small ball extensive periods lost the spurs the rebounding battle, and dirk was lighting us up anyway. if we would have stayed with a normal line up, dirk would have burned us but we wouldnt have given their guards an open driving lane and we wouldnt have given up as many 2nd chance opportunities. those two things killed us more than dirk in that series.

cherylsteele
04-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I wonder if some of you really actually watch the game(s).