PDA

View Full Version : Temple/Hill

Trimble87
04-10-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure if Bogans has a second year on his contract or not... but Im assuming both he and RMJ will not be with us next year. Do you expect our guard rotation off the bench to be hill/hairston/temple?

Hairston can take the majority of the sf minutes and hill/temple can play 1/2. I like it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere. Feel free to merge or w/e.

BackHome
04-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Bogans will probably be back for cheap and I think Temple or Gee will move ahead of Hairston.

jiggy_55
04-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Bogans will probably be back for cheap and I think Temple or Gee will move ahead of Hairston.

Ya, Temple has been impressive and it seems it took him little time to move ahead of Hairston. Although, theirs a reason for his big minutes at the PG with all the injures.

GSH
04-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm not usually one to get crazy a about a player because he has a couple of good games. I really think Temple could have a hell of a lot more upside. If, if, if...

He needs to spend the Summer with Idan Ravin. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback, but I think it's one of the best moves the Spurs could make in the offseason. If you don't know who Ravin is, here are a few links.
http://www.nba.com/features/ravin_080509.html
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_ballard/10/20/idan.ravin/index.html
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/01/13/rookie.rankings/index.html

A guy with Garrett's length who can handle the ball, make smart passes, and play defense? He could be a real asset to the team. But I don't think he's getting anywhere near enough out of his potential. After a summer with Ravin, he would be able to take his game up a notch - maybe two.

He also needs to be stronger if he's going to compete against the better players in the league. (He hasn't really been tested yet.) He needs to hit the weights and put on about 10 lbs. of muscle.

Assuming he can step up his game, having him and Hill on the floor at the same time could give other teams some real problems. Both can run the point and get to the rack. Both are good defenders. And even though Hill has a great wingspan for his height, he's still just about 6'1" - so when he and Tony are both on the floor, we're running pretty small. Garrett is 6'6" and has a good wingspan.

I know the Spurs have good people on staff. But they should really considering outsourcing this one to Ravin over the Summer. The potential makes it worth the investment.

BackHome
04-10-2010, 05:54 PM
In one of the articles it says that he is worked out with James Gist that is kinda cool. As far as Temple I have to say I am liking him but do agree that he needs to add about ten pounds of muscle to be able to guard people like Kobe.

It is going to be interesting to see the following players hopefully in training camp next year.Gist/Hairston/Jerrels/Temple/Gee/Nando/Draft Pick/ and mabe Splitter...Nice..

easy7
04-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Pop loves Bogans, so I expect to see him next year. I guess he figures that if he looks like Bruce he must be Bruce.

MateoNeygro
04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Look at Temple's pic in his player profile at nba.com HE ACTUALLY LOOKS REALLY SIMILAIR TO BOWEN BUT WITH HAIR. DOES ANYONE AGREE??? I think it's obvious.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Ya, Temple has been impressive and it seems it took him little time to move ahead of Hairston. Although, theirs a reason for his big minutes at the PG with all the injures.

Hairston is a 2/3. Temple is a 1. Spurs would be stupid not to have both back (especially on the cheap).

Nathan Explosion
04-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Temple seems to really get after it on D, but his team defense needs a bit of work. However, considering this guy was a D league player only a month ago, I'm more than impressed with his play.

Definitely want to see him make the team next year.

senorglory
04-10-2010, 10:55 PM
He needs to spend the Summer with Idan Ravin.

I'm not saying it's true, but I've read that some NBA coaches/managers think Ravin is a quack.

spursfan1000
04-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't see Temple having a very big role next season even though he has had good sparks with the Spurs this season.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I like him..he's making the corner 3s too..

The report on Temple was that his D is great and his offense sucks..so far as a Spur, it looks like he can make open shots and he's good in transition..his defense hasn't been impressive though IMO..he gives good effort and energy, but he doesn't seem to play team D too well and he's slow to recover once his man has a step on him..

So kind of funny that it's the opposite of what was expected of him..

He has some nice potential though, he's in a good position here since the Spurs seem to always be looking for a backup PG..looking forward to seeing him play in the Summer..

raspsa
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
I think its almost unheard of for Pop to give arookie the minutes he's giving Temple at this stage in the RS.

exstatic
04-10-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm liking Temple. He still needs work, but he's hitting .563 on the corner 3 in his stint with the Spurs, including tonight's 3/4. That will not only get you a roster spot, it will get you a rotation spot.

blkroadrunners
04-11-2010, 12:00 AM
If Temple continues to play well for the rest of the year under the minutes given, he should be re-signed especially w/ Mason more than likely leaving. However, I'm curious what he role will be once Hill comes back.

raspsa
04-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I see similiarities with Hill.. I like this kid.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 12:21 AM
If Temple continues to play well for the rest of the year under the minutes given, he should be re-signed especially w/ Mason more than likely leaving. However, I'm curious what he role will be once Hill comes back.

All three of the d-leaguers that we signed to finish the season (Gee, Jerrels, Temple) have non-guaranteed contracts for next year, meaning we have their rights.

GSH
04-11-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm not saying it's true, but I've read that some NBA coaches/managers think Ravin is a quack.

I've heard that, too. I pretty much believed it, but the guy has gotten some good results. I think there may be a little professional jealousy going on. I talked to a guy who worked with him, and one thing that he said really stuck with me. I can't repeat it word for word, but basically what he said was, "Did you ever get a car up to 100 mph, and when you slow back down to 50 it feels like you could almost get out and walk? Ravin throws stuff at you so fast, regular game speed feels almost like slow motion."

The other big thing I've noticed about the guys who work with him is that they all seem to gain a lot of confidence. I think about Stephen Jackson. He failed to impress a lot of teams before he came to the Spurs. He had talent, but he hadn't gotten much mileage out of it. I always thought his confidence level had a lot to do with the improvement in his play.

All I'm saying is that a 6'6" PG would be a perfect complement to George Hill. Temple may not have what it takes, I don't know. But they will have a better chance of teaching him some skills, than trying to teach a short PG to be 6'6" tall.

Technically, Hill is an undersized 2 who can play some point. Garret is tall enough to be a 2, even though he is a PG. They could switch on the defensive end, and have more normal matchups. On the offensive end, having two legitimate playmakers on the floor has got to present some challenges for opposing defenses.

spursfaninla
04-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Having a backup pg that is scoring like Temple that is 6'6 is a great luxury. However, we probably don't have many minutes for him after we get back hill. He seems to have earned Mason's minutes in my mind. However, don't know if Pop agrees with playing a rookie with less than 10 games under his belt in the playoffs.

Hill is the primary backup behind Manu and Parker currently. Next year, if hill gets all of the minutes that manu does not play and parker's minutes, that probably adds up to 30. Temple is looking at scraps minutes as the 3rd pg. It is kind of a shame, because he could be very useful if he is able to pick up the team d.

SenorSpur
04-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Should Temple continue to develop and play well, I can see Pop giving him time at the backup PG slot next season. This would allow Pop the luxury of having Hill spend more time at the 2-spot, where he seems to be more comfortable. Even now, it seems that Temple has a more natural feel for the PG position than Hill. At least he has shown that he can run the pick-n-roll offense and he has a knack for creating shots for others, whereas Hill struggles in these areas.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Um, this also plays into my whole idea about trading Parker. Temple will figure out the Spurs team D concept. He's one hell of a one on one defender, I watched him a bunch in college while he was at L$U.

Him backing up Hill next year would give us a robust rotation at the point. Trade Tony for our elusive long small forward or 4/5 to take the reigns from Tim.

People shouldn't hate on Temple for not having the Spurs team D concepts down, dude's only been on the squad for what two weeks now?

Mark in Austin
04-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Trade Tony for our elusive long small forward

My two long SF's right now that I really like are Wilson Chandler in NY and Luol Deng. I have a friend who is a long-suffering die-hard Knicks fan and he's described Chandler as Trevor Ariza with a better jump shot and higher bball IQ. I tend to agree. NY has definitely played better when he's been on the court.

Deng's contract is a bear but he's long, doesn't need to be the star (seems to have gotten over himself), has a high bball IQ, & can rebound and block shots at an exceptional rate for a swing player. Of course with Deng there would need to be a third team involved since the have Rose and Hinrich already...

jjktkk
04-11-2010, 02:44 AM
My two long SF's right now that I really like are Wilson Chandler in NY and Luol Deng. I have a friend who is a long-suffering die-hard Knicks fan and he's described Chandler as Trevor Ariza with a better jump shot and higher bball IQ. I tend to agree. NY has definitely played better when he's been on the court.

Deng's contract is a bear but he's long, doesn't need to be the star (seems to have gotten over himself), has a high bball IQ, & can rebound and block shots at an exceptional rate for a swing player. Of course with Deng there would need to be a third team involved since the have Rose and Hinrich already...

No thanks to Deng. Besides his big contract, the guy is injury prone.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2010, 02:59 AM
Problem with Deng is that you can't ship Tony there with the points they already have.

SF targets would be:

Stephen Jackson (an old favorite). Give Larry his point guard he always needs.

Josh Smith (sell Atlanta on moving Joe to the 2 with Parker at point).

Turkoglu (though let's be honest - if Toronto wants to dance, let's talk Chris Bosh).

Problem with guys like Chandler is he is on a cheap deal (sub-2 million a year) and NY doesn't have the pieces to make it work. They've only got like five players on the books next year, for a total of like $17 million in contracts.

GSH
04-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Um, this also plays into my whole idea about trading Parker. Temple will figure out the Spurs team D concept. He's one hell of a one on one defender, I watched him a bunch in college while he was at L$U.

Him backing up Hill next year would give us a robust rotation at the point. Trade Tony for our elusive long small forward or 4/5 to take the reigns from Tim.

People shouldn't hate on Temple for not having the Spurs team D concepts down, dude's only been on the squad for what two weeks now?

I'd trade Parker straight up for Tayshaun Prince. (I think the salaries are close enough.) He's consistent on offense, and he defends his ass off.

And for PG insurance, I think Chris Duhon is going to go for a bargain this offseason. Everybody laughed when I said that Anthony Parker was the bargain of the offseason last year. All he's done is start 80 games for the Cavs - for $2.6M. I think Duhon may be the bargain of this offseason.

He's a damned good PG, but he doesn't fit in D'Antoni's system. He'd be very good here, in the half court offense. I think he'll sign with somebody for about $3-3.5M. With Ginobili, Hill, Duhon, and Temple, the guards would be looking pretty damned good. And all those guys play the kind of defense Pop wants.

SenorSpur
04-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Why is everyone is such a rush to get rid of Parker? Outside of Manu, there isn't another guard on the team that can routinely get in the paint and wreak havoc on the opposition. I don't see how getting rid of him makes the team better.

Doe
04-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Why is everyone is such a rush to get rid of Parker? Outside of Manu, there isn't another guard on the team that can routinely get in the paint and wreak havoc on the opposition. I don't see how getting rid of him makes the team better.

+1. At least for someone who makes sense, some of these ideas are ridiculous and would make the team worse.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-11-2010, 04:22 AM
lol @ trading Parker because some rookie, who more likely won't be on the team next season, has had a couple of decent games.

spursbird
04-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Every time I saw Temple, I always thought of Lugia(the companion of Super Mario).

jiggy_55
04-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Hairston is a 2/3. Temple is a 1. Spurs would be stupid not to have both back (especially on the cheap).

I don't see Temple as a 1 at all. He's been filling in there as a back up now. We've needed it cuz he's the only 1 who could handle the ball outside of Manu. But over the long run, this guy is in no way a point guard. He can play spot minutes there and etc, but he's really a 2 or 3. Just cuz he can dribble doesn't automatically make him a 1. I may be wrong, but I don't think he's even played pg for before the Spurs put him there!

Anyways, never did I argue the point of having both back, that is a must I believe. 2 young players, with good skill sets, and who could develop into great young talents on this team. Plus their contracts are really cheap too (Btw, great move by Spurs management picking up guys like Gee, Temple and Jerrels and having a serious look at them in the summer and training camp).

However, offensively, I believe Alonzo Gee could be a bigger impact than any of these two if he makes the roster and is given the chance for minutes. He looked quite good for the Wiz.

Ocotillo
04-11-2010, 08:22 AM

Isn't Jerrells still in the mix? He is in Austin with a contract as well. I thought when George Hill went down that Jerrells would be the guy who would see some time at the point but Temple has stepped in nicely.

Tony/Temple/Jerrells at the point combined with Manu/Hill at the two gives you a lot of options as far as ball handling goes.

Of course, all that is predicated on Temple and Jerrells developing into NBA players although like everyone else, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

dbestpro
04-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't see Temple as a 1 at all. He's been filling in there as a back up now. We've needed it cuz he's the only 1 who could handle the ball outside of Manu. But over the long run, this guy is in no way a point guard.

He is enough of a point guard to fill the need for the Spurs, which is 3rd string point guard. His ability to play the 1 will cut into Hairston's role. Malik has shown some decent defense and is super athletic but is still way too inconsistant on his shot selection. If the Spurs draft a decent SF of size, Hairston could find himself the odd man out on minutes and could even not make the team. The theme for next year "Size Matters".

jiggy_55
04-11-2010, 08:56 AM
He is enough of a point guard to fill the need for the Spurs, which is 3rd string point guard. His ability to play the 1 will cut into Hairston's role. Malik has shown some decent defense and is super athletic but is still way too inconsistant on his shot selection. If the Spurs draft a decent SF of size, Hairston could find himself the odd man out on minutes and could even not make the team. The theme for next year "Size Matters".

Well yes, if his career job is going to be a 3rd strong PG, than he can do that for 5 minutes a night. But he will never be able to be a true PG for 30+mins a night. I think of him more as a good defender, who is long and can guard a few positions. He has good ball handle and a decent shot. He'll never be a great offensive player though, so I see him filling a void at the 1, 2, and 3 for defense, hustle etc.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Problem with Deng is that you can't ship Tony there with the points they already have.

SF targets would be:

Stephen Jackson (an old favorite). Give Larry his point guard he always needs.

Josh Smith (sell Atlanta on moving Joe to the 2 with Parker at point).

Turkoglu (though let's be honest - if Toronto wants to dance, let's talk Chris Bosh).

Problem with guys like Chandler is he is on a cheap deal (sub-2 million a year) and NY doesn't have the pieces to make it work. They've only got like five players on the books next year, for a total of like $17 million in contracts.

I'd like try to pluck Anthony Randolph from GS. He and Nellie do NOT get along, and it's likely that Nellie will be back. He's under contract until 2011, and rather than double pay for a coach next year and then have to pay that coach during the lockout, they'll likely just keep his corpse around another year. GS is said to want to move Randolph with the right pieces (read: bad contracts). I think he has ridiculous potential, both offensively and defensively, enough to warrant eating a bad contract or bad contracts. He turns 21 in July.

BillMc
04-11-2010, 09:27 AM
lol @ trading Parker because some rookie, who more likely won't be on the team next season, has had a couple of decent games.

This...

Biggems
04-11-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm not usually one to get crazy a about a player because he has a couple of good games. I really think Temple could have a hell of a lot more upside. If, if, if...

He needs to spend the Summer with Idan Ravin. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback, but I think it's one of the best moves the Spurs could make in the offseason. If you don't know who Ravin is, here are a few links.
http://www.nba.com/features/ravin_080509.html
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_ballard/10/20/idan.ravin/index.html
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/01/13/rookie.rankings/index.html

A guy with Garrett's length who can handle the ball, make smart passes, and play defense? He could be a real asset to the team. But I don't think he's getting anywhere near enough out of his potential. After a summer with Ravin, he would be able to take his game up a notch - maybe two.

He also needs to be stronger if he's going to compete against the better players in the league. (He hasn't really been tested yet.) He needs to hit the weights and put on about 10 lbs. of muscle.

Assuming he can step up his game, having him and Hill on the floor at the same time could give other teams some real problems. Both can run the point and get to the rack. Both are good defenders. And even though Hill has a great wingspan for his height, he's still just about 6'1" - so when he and Tony are both on the floor, we're running pretty small. Garrett is 6'6" and has a good wingspan.

I know the Spurs have good people on staff. But they should really considering outsourcing this one to Ravin over the Summer. The potential makes it worth the investment.

Too bad we are probably not keeping Ian.......cause I would say send Ian, Blair, Temple, and Hairston there.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 10:59 AM

That wouldn't be a problem at all. NY's cap space would allow Parker to be traded for Chandler and an $11M trade exception which be valid for one year after the trade.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2010, 11:25 AM
That wouldn't be a problem at all. NY's cap space would allow Parker to be traded for Chandler and an $11M trade exception which be valid for one year after the trade.

The issue there is I think they've got their sites set higher. They'd only consider Parker if they whiffed on the cream of the crop this summer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I'd like try to pluck Anthony Randolph from GS. He and Nellie do NOT get along, and it's likely that Nellie will be back. He's under contract until 2011, and rather than double pay for a coach next year and then have to pay that coach during the lockout, they'll likely just keep his corpse around another year. GS is said to want to move Randolph with the right pieces (read: bad contracts). I think he has ridiculous potential, both offensively and defensively, enough to warrant eating a bad contract or bad contracts. He turns 21 in July.

Yeah, I like the idea of plucking Randolph as well. Trouble is they would have to want to send out someone like Maggette or Biedrins for him, not sure the Spurs would dance there.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I like the idea of plucking Randolph as well. Trouble is they would have to want to send out someone like Maggette or Biedrins for him, not sure the Spurs would dance there.

With RJ rolling off in 2011, I'd take Maggette. He's actually of some use, and could fill the "overpaid swing man" role that RJ will be vacating, although I find his $10M infinitely more palatable than RJ's $15M.

I think AR is a franchise player in the making, and if you have to eat a 3 year/$31M deal for a productive and somewhat overpaid swing man to get him, you do it. One thing that Maggette does in his annual 60-65 games is he GETS TO THE LINE, like A LOT.

Parker for Maggette/AR works, salary wise.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 11:48 AM
The issue there is I think they've got their sites set higher. They'd only consider Parker if they whiffed on the cream of the crop this summer.

Exactly. If they don't they get the FAs they want this summer, Parker would be a great consolation prize. Then in 2011 they could resign him or let him go and have the cap space to go after Melo.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Exactly. If they don't they get the FAs they want this summer, Parker would be a great consolation prize. Then in 2011 they could resign him or let him go and have the cap space to go after Melo.

I think the Spurs should set their sites higher. Chandler is a piece. You only trade Parker for a potential cornerstone.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 01:14 PM
I think the Spurs should set their sites higher. Chandler is a piece. You only trade Parker for a potential cornerstone.

Such a trade is unlikely.

My initial post was to point out that there were no CBA barriers to such a trade.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Such a trade is unlikely.

My initial post was to point out that there were no CBA barriers to such a trade.

Then you don't trade Parker.

Mel_13
04-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Then you don't trade Parker.

????

I didn't suggest that they would or should, just that they could.

exstatic
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
????

I didn't suggest that they would or should, just that they could.

Right. I think most people who acknowledge the possibility have it at the "could" level at this time. You have to get value, though, or it's a no go.

mingus
04-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Parker was an MVP candidate last year, i don't think trading him is ideal at all. i'm going to give him a chance to get healthy and get to that point again until i judge him. it's the same thing with Manu - everybody was all on the trade bandwagon when he wasn't healthy, but now that he is we realize just how good he is. i'm not going to change my philosophy with Parker. it's unfortunate that he's had to be injured, being that everyone else is finally healthy, and i think that makes it all the more dissapointing. it's just bad timing. but it looks like he's starting to come back.

that said, if parker can be traded for a guy like randolph, you goot look at that. Randolph can be a cornerstone type of player i belive in the future. he could help sustain greatness, or give us an opportunity to build around him to sustain it, for another decade. plus, he can play and help now, too.

i think a Garret/Hill backcourt can be interesting and potential fruitful, but i'd like to see more of Garret, personally, to make sure he's not jsut a flash in the pan.

what i do like about Garret already is his fire and confidence. you can't teach that. that's just who he is and the Spurs are in desperate need of that kind of personality.

The Truth #6
04-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Temple has picked up the system amazingly fast. It seems like he gets lost less than RJ.

Hairston was never really given a chance yet, but Temple has a lot more poise even if he has less talent. Malik's horrible handle is going to keep him stuck where he is until he improves it. When he does, his game should improve dramatically.