PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Match Up vs. Draft Pick Position?

hsxvvd
04-10-2010, 12:31 AM
With less than a handful of games left, we are in a position where we could be seeded anywhere between 6-8 in the West and be drafting somewhere between 19-22.

Finish 8th would mean facing the Lakers, but it would almost certainly mean the 19th pick in the draft, 4 picks better than 22nd and a possible match up with anyone of Phoenix, Utah, Dallas or Denver.

Given that we're going to have to play the Lakers eventually, and the other possible match ups are much the same, also home court is not an option, is it worth moving up 4 picks in the draft.

Let's also consider that Oklahoma, Portland and Boston are three of the better teams on Draft day... moving ahead of them would help us a great deal.

So I pose the question... what's more important... playoff position or draft position?

z0sa
04-10-2010, 12:33 AM
draftoff position

Dr. Gonzo
04-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Draft position doesn't matter. They will probably draft someone that won't make the team, get buried at the end of the bench even though they are clearly the best player in the league or traded to a division rival for nothing.

tothrowed
04-10-2010, 12:35 AM
the draft we mite as well face the lakers in the first round ge it over with

mexicanjunior
04-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Draft position before we secured our 6-8th seed...now it's just a matter of trying to move up and avoid the Lakers in the first round. A lottery pick would have been nice though...

Dr. Gonzo
04-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Is this going to be a deep draft? I don't even know the state of college ball enough to know who the hell is good or not.

hsxvvd
04-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Is this going to be a deep draft? I don't even know the state of college ball enough to know who the hell is good or not.

nbadraft.net has the following picks

19. Kyle Singler
20. Gordon Hayward
21. Ekpe Udoh
22. Gani Lawai

draft express has the following picks

19. Larry Sanders
20. James Anderson
21. Gordon Hayward
22. Quincy Pondexter

Chad Ford's top 100 has the following ranked

19. Quincy Pondexter
20. James Anderson

To me, if we knew with any certainty that James Anderson would be available... this question is a no brainer. But my feeling is he'll go sooner than 19.

tothrowed
04-10-2010, 12:58 AM

19. Kyle Singler
20. Gordon Hayward
21. Ekpe Udoh
22. Gani Lawai

19. Larry Sanders
20. James Anderson
21. Gordon Hayward
22. Quincy Pondexter

19. Quincy Pondexter
20. James Anderson

To me, if we knew with any certainty that James Anderson would be available... this question is a no brainer. But my feeling is he'll go sooner than 19.
i want and i hope the spurs get
gordon hayword,crawford the kid from xavier,or avery bradley, and Ekpe Udoh - they would all help our team

Dr. Gonzo
04-10-2010, 01:01 AM

19. Kyle Singler
20. Gordon Hayward
21. Ekpe Udoh
22. Gani Lawai

19. Larry Sanders
20. James Anderson
21. Gordon Hayward
22. Quincy Pondexter

19. Quincy Pondexter
20. James Anderson

I don't know who any of those are.

BackHome
04-10-2010, 01:09 AM
At this point I think it's more important to get the guys healthy and the Lakers are not playing good ball right now. So sit the main guys for a couple of games and bring on the Flakers and don't forget to bring your Popcorn!!

It would be nice to get our draft before Portland since they are probably wanting the same player we want.

Joe Schmoogins
04-10-2010, 01:24 AM
I don't care about the pick as much as I just want the lakers in the first round.

Dr. Gonzo
04-10-2010, 01:25 AM
I don't care about the pick as much as I just want the lakers in the first round.

Why?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-10-2010, 01:49 AM

19. Kyle Singler
20. Gordon Hayward
21. Ekpe Udoh
22. Gani Lawai

19. Larry Sanders
20. James Anderson
21. Gordon Hayward
22. Quincy Pondexter

19. Quincy Pondexter
20. James Anderson

I'll take Pondexter.

tothrowed
04-10-2010, 01:52 AM
I'll take Pondexter.
pnodexter will be a bust in the nba we need hayward or crawford

jjktkk
04-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Draft position doesn't matter. They will probably draft someone that won't make the team, get buried at the end of the bench even though they are clearly the best player in the league or traded to a division rival for nothing.

:rolleyes Like Blair, and Hill?

Mal
04-10-2010, 03:02 AM
a draft pick ? come on

Man In Black
04-10-2010, 03:25 AM
The draft is a crapshoot. Whether the Spurs get
pick 14 or 20, it'd be a player that fits into what they do. This year's perceived 1, John Wall seems
more like. John Lucas #1 pick. Solid but not great. So if they went lotto, like some have said, there's 2 inherent issues. 1 higher draft pick means set scale to take more space, and then player
on the board is someone they feel they can get later. So why commit the resource?
Knowing RC & Pop, they'd have traded the lotto level pick because again, this is not a real strong draft class. IMHO

Mr Bones
04-10-2010, 03:49 AM
It's starting to look like Bynum might not be back for the first round of the playoffs, so it could actually be a blessing in disguise to play the Lakers sooner rather than later.

mathbzh
04-10-2010, 05:22 AM
Late in the first round, the draft position does not really matter.
And since we will not have HCA I don't care too much about seeding...

spursbird
04-10-2010, 05:56 AM
I want Gordon Hayward.

GSH
04-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Right now, there is a kid in Mauritania that Pop thinks will be the next franchise player for the Spurs. Not many teams know about him, but Pop wants to be sure. It's the ultimate CIA story... The Race For 19.

Orrrr - maybe it doesn't matter what seed we have, since we can't beat freaking Memphis.

benefactor
04-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I'd rather be in the lottery.

Joe Schmoogins
04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Why?

Mostly because I enjoy watching a Lakers series more than any other (Mavs, Suns, etc..)

I live in Cali and know a lot of Laker fans... so the rivalry is always great.

Also, if we knock off the Lakers it would be amazing and would be the next best thing to winning a title imo (followed by knocking the Mavs out).

Finally, I'd be happy for the Spurs to grab the 19th pick, but honestly don't see a big difference between picks 19 and 22.

SenorSpur
04-10-2010, 01:20 PM
With less than a handful of games left, we are in a position where we could be seeded anywhere between 6-8 in the West and be drafting somewhere between 19-22.

Finish 8th would mean facing the Lakers, but it would almost certainly mean the 19th pick in the draft, 4 picks better than 22nd and a possible match up with anyone of Phoenix, Utah, Dallas or Denver.

Given that we're going to have to play the Lakers eventually, and the other possible match ups are much the same, also home court is not an option, is it worth moving up 4 picks in the draft.

Let's also consider that Oklahoma, Portland and Boston are three of the better teams on Draft day... moving ahead of them would help us a great deal.?

Totally agree. The Blazers and Thunder already have a dearth of young, ahtletic talent. Their futures are bright and they are improving each year - especially OKC.

The Spurs, on the other hand, are now going in the opposite direction. We've witnessed this inevitable decline for the 2nd year in a row. The Spurs have performed like a mediocre team all year and they have the record to back that up. By now, you are what you are. There is absolutely no evidence to me that indicates that this team, as currently constructed, can have playoff success or is even capable of getting out of the first round this year either.

Finishing behind Portland and OKC would be better for the Spurs, in the long run. Because they badly need the talent level upgrade, it's high time the Spurs pick in front of those teams, rather than behind them.

The way to improve the team is to upgrade the talent level. By making the right decisions now, they could accelerate the talent reload on the fly. That said, I'd prefer the higher draft pick.

DMX7
04-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I want Gordon Hayward.

He's not entering the draft ( I don't think).

Doe
04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Playoff seeding is more important. If they can advance a couple rounds it will be very helpful to Holt. Playing the Lakers in the current state the Spurs are in will almost surely result in a first round exit.

There's something to be said about playing the Lakers early since they haven't hit their stride. Unfortunately the Spurs look pretty bad since Parker came back. Not that it's his fault, this kind of thing always happens when you try to bring back a major player.

Additionally, I'm not too optimistic about the chances of a rookie coming in and becoming a contributor (whether he's too green or Pop doesn't trust him) in the playoffs.

jason1301
04-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Even thought Draft Pick Position is a plus, the 8th spot is preferable in my eyes for other reasons. Lakers are easier to beat w/o Bynum, Lakers seem to be out of rhythm at the moment --they may put it together in the playoffs, and since we ll eventually play them if we are about to do some noise in the playffs two more remarks, its better to "get a long summer rest or win it all" by playing the lakers early, and its quite possible that it will take us way more games to reach the WCF than the lakers.

Bukefal
04-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Just go and play good, we'll see what comes on our path. We shouldnt be thinking any theories, rather just playing freakin hard and giving everything.

rascal
04-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Totally agree. The Blazers and Thunder already have a dearth of young, ahtletic talent. Their futures are bright and they are improving each year - especially OKC.

The Spurs, on the other hand, are now going in the opposite direction. We've witnessed this inevitable decline for the 2nd year in a row. The Spurs have performed like a mediocre team all year and they have the record to back that up. By now, you are what you are. There is absolutely no evidence to me that indicates that this team, as currently constructed, can have playoff success or is even capable of getting out of the first round this year either.

Finishing behind Portland and OKC would be better for the Spurs, in the long run. Because they badly need the talent level upgrade, it's high time the Spurs pick in front of those teams, rather than behind them.

The way to improve the team is to upgrade the talent level. By making the right decisions now, they could accelerate the talent reload on the fly. That said, I'd prefer the higher draft pick.

Agree. Thats why I was pulling for the spurs to not make the playoffs. A championship is not happening this year with the frontline as it is. Much better to get the highest draft pick as possible, reload the frontline and bring in a young player who can make an immediate impact next year.