PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Centers - Then and now?

raspsa
04-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Nene, Varejao and Splitter.
In their early years, I got the impression that Splitter was getting most of the hype and attention and perhaps he was the most talented and accomplished of the 3.
Skip several years forward and Nene and Varejao have NBA experience under their belts and are key cogs in their respective teams. I'm particularly impressed with Nene after he came back from surgery.. must have been a real life-changing experience in more ways rgan one.
Meanwhile, Splitter went the European route and he is considered a pretty good big man but competition isn't at the NBA level.
So how would you rate Splitter as a player vs. the other two? If all 3 played for the Brazilian NT, who would be top dog?

MmP
04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Nene came into the league really young and has developed well. But it was pretty much a prospect back 2003. Just like Manu, only that Gino had an Euroleague MVP award in his resume already before coming in into the NBA.

Varajao to me it has and still is pretty soft. But that's me. He contributes well with other C who can Score and make pretty much all the work. He's good but don't expect to be a core player.

And Splitter remains as an NBA doubt. NBA is a translation many times for players. Maybe you adapt or may be you don't. There has been great euro players in this league that hasn't adapted well. So we'd have to see.

m33p0
04-10-2010, 05:58 PM
there's a difference between Splitter and the other 2: Splitter is a first option on offense; the other 2 are clean-up boys, and their size and physicality make it easier to translate to the NBA. Tiago will not be a superstar in the NBA but will make a very good 2nd option on the post.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I completely disagree that Varejao is soft..he might look like it, but he bangs with anybody..he's grown into Cleveland's 2nd most valuable player, their 2nd best defender behind Lebron, their best off the ball slasher other than Lebron, and their best energy guy..

I would be happy if Splitter is even close to being as good as Nene or Varejao..

jjktkk
04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I completely disagree that Varejao is soft..he might look like it, but he bangs with anybody..he's grown into Cleveland's 2nd most valuable player, their 2nd best defender behind Lebron, their best off the ball slasher other than Lebron, and their best energy guy..

I would be happy if Splitter is even close to being as good as Nene or Varejao..

+1 Varejao is a tough, physical, player.

Man In Black
04-10-2010, 06:37 PM
RC said in an interview that he's like Varejao. I hope that he's more like former Celtic, Dino Radja. Yeah, he ain't Brazilian, but the Croatian had game when he first came to the NBA. Went 2nd team all-rookie, like Ginobili did. He finished his career for Boston averaging 16.7 points and 8.4 rebounds a game. Shot at a .497 clip. If Tiago does this for the Spurs, that window stays open.

senorglory
04-10-2010, 06:46 PM

I agree with this take on both counts. 1) Varejao tosses his body all over the place... out of bounds, on the floor, against other players-- he may not be a thuggish physical presence, but he plays a very physical game. I don't see how he could be labeled soft. 2) A player comparable to Nene or Varejao would be an excellent role player for the Spurs, and would satisfy Spurs-traditionalist that want to see an in-the-paint rebounding/defending big next to Duncan.

I also have to take exception to the term "soft," in general. Doesn't feel right to disparage anyone with the term "soft" in a Spurs forum, considering how that slander has been unjustly misapplied to our holy father, the great five-o.

Spurs Brazil
04-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I said in other thread a few days, 4/5 years ago Tiago was the best prospect but Nene and Varejao went to the NBA, develop their games and now are better than Tiago.

Tiago has talent and if his game translate for the NBA he can be as good as those guys, not the same style of play though

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-10-2010, 08:58 PM
the other 2 are clean-up boys

Once upon a time that may have been true of Nene, but not today. He could be a 20pt scorer on another team - he can face you up, post you up, or make the mid-range jumpe these days. He's a helluva player at both ends now.

raspsa
04-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Once upon a time that may have been true of Nene, but not today. He could be a 20pt scorer on another team - he can face you up, post you up, or make the mid-range jumpe these days. He's a helluva player at both ends now.

I'm most impressed with the development of Nene. Varejao ain't bad too, he brings so much energy. I'll be happy if Splitter is at the same level as these two.

senorglory
04-10-2010, 11:29 PM
My recollection is that Nene has been tough on us in the Playoffs.

TD 21
04-11-2010, 01:31 AM

No question James is a presence defensively, but he's a vastly overrated on ball defender. Varejao is a better defender than him.

I don't expect Splitter to reach the level of Nene, who's just a cut below All-Star caliber, but I do expect that he's around Varejao's level. Varejao is a unique player who's more valuable than his numbers/skill level would suggest, but Splitter is longer and more skilled.

G-Dawgg
04-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Nene is a killer on pick & roll plays... he is like an Amare Stoudamire type player that likes to finish strong at the rim on pick & roll plays.He's athletic and a good position defender and decent shotblocker

Varejao is kindof like a high energy hustle defender..Splitter's game is supposedly like Anderson Varejao's according to R.C. Buford.
From what I've seen of Splitter he seems to be a very active player, and mobile big. Aggresive on offense and looks like he has a nice touch around the rim..

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-11-2010, 04:53 AM
I really like Nene's game and development. At the time he got his contract I thought it was laughable and that the Nuggets outbid themselves badly, but he's living up to the expectations and props to him.

Splitter is without a doubt more talented than either of the other two, but it's still a question mark how well he would be able to translate his game to the NBA. He could be similar to Marc Gasol, but not as slow. I like his BBIQ, so I believe he could be a good rotation player even if his athleticism and toughness aren't on par with Nene's.